RIP Hank Aaron

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

RIP Hank Aaron

#1 Post by bazodee » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:06 am

Breaking news story from here in Atlanta:

ATLANTA — He is the one man that Muhammad Ali said he idolized “more than myself.” He became known to the world as “Hammerin’ Hank.”
Legendary Atlanta Brave and Major League Baseball record holder Hank Aaron died Friday at the age of 86, according to Aaron’s daughter.
Born in Mobile, Alabama, on Feb. 5, 1934, Henry Louis Aaron was one of eight children born to Herbert and Estella Aaron.

His family was so poor they could not afford baseball equipment, so he began honing his baseball skill by hitting bottle caps with sticks.

Aaron had his first major league tryout as a 15-year-old with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1949.
Although he did not make that team, he did make an impact and returned to school to get his diploma.

In November 1951, at the age of 17, Aaron began his minor league career with the Indianapolis Clown’s organization of the negro leagues.

“If it hadn’t been for my brother, my uncle, sharing their love and making me realize that -- although I had a dream at that time -- but if I keep looking and pursue it, that I could match it,” Aaron said.

Seven months later, in June 1952, Aaron chose to sign with the Boston Braves over the New York Giants, because the Braves offered $50 more a month.
The Braves had their 21-year-old building block. The Giants missed out on a Hank Aaron, Willie Mays outfield tandem.
Instead, the tandem of the Braves franchise in Bean Town was over. The team moved to Milwaukee in 1953, and one year later, Aaron made the big-league roster.
That first season, Aaron wore No. 5. He switched to No. 44 in 1955. That same year, at age 21, Aaron made the first of his record 21 All-Star selections and his record 25 All-Star appearances.

Aaron won the National League batting title in 1956 and won his only MVP award the following year after hitting 322 and finishing in the top three in all three triple crown batting categories.
He capped his MVP ’57 season by clinching the pennant with a home run in inning 393 in a seven-game World Series victory over the New York Yankees.

The Braves moved to Atlanta in time for the 1966 season, and within two years, Aaron was recording milestones in Georgia.
“Honestly, I was scared coming to a high-profile city like Atlanta,” Aaron told Channel 2 Sports Director Zach Klein. “Knowing that Dr. King was here, Andy Young and some of the other great civil rights leaders that made their home here, and I’m coming from Milwaukee where there was no activity at all ... It makes you start thinking about what it is, what can you do, what role you can play. And makes you feel like you kind of shortchanged everybody really, you didn’t do your job.”

Aaron said he knew that Atlanta was becoming the hub for the civil rights movement and said he didn’t think he would become a figure that would emerge out of that movement.

“To be honest with you, I felt a little ashamed of myself, because I was so far back in the sticks, in the woods, that I didn’t know what was going on. It kind of made me start thinking, realizing that, regardless of what I achieved in life, no matter whether it’s baseball, football, basketball, life, lawyers, whatever it may be, that I still had a role to play,” Aaron said.

Aaron recalls when he finally realized he was now part of a changing world.

“I think it hit me when we played an exhibition game, and I don’t know when, in Macon. I think it hit me when I realized that I had some kind of role that I should be playing. I’m not talking about a baseball role, I’m not talking about somebody going out on the baseball field, someone who had a role to play to help other blacks like myself,” Aaron told Klein.

As Aaron started turning into “Hammerin’ Hank,” he would eventually meet the biggest figure of the civil rights movement – right in the stands.
“I didn’t spend much time with him. I met him here, at the ballpark. Came here with some other friends of his, and I met him then. I didn’t spend as much time as I would have loved to have spend with him. I made that up, of course, by spending a lot of time, and still spending a lot of time, with my brother now, Andy Young. I wish I could have spent a lot of time,” Aaron said.

“I realized he was the voice of a lot of African-Americans around. I realized that he did some things, said some things that you started thinking, you know, if things had been a little different we could have done this, and he was making it a reality. He was making all those things a reality.”

At the age of 37, he hit his career high in home runs, 47 of them and set a new career best in slugging percentage.

At age 39, Aaron recorded his eighth 40-homer season finishing that year with 713 for his career, just one home run shy of Babe Ruth’s major league record.
That offseason, Aaron received numerous death threats and loads of racist letters.

SpacemanSpiff

Re: RIP Hank Aaron

#2 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:14 am

Sad to see this. I got to see him play a few times when I was a child and we vacationed in Atlanta, did see one homer. Always seemed like a class act.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am

The thought of Hank and Willie in the same outfield makes me feel..well...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

RIP Henry.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#4 Post by Vandal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 am

He was a great player and even greater human.

The first MLB game I ever went to was in 1970 when the Braves came to Dodger Stadium on May 22. Fittingly, Aaron singled in the only run in the 1-0 game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 5220.shtml
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

wbtravis007

#5 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:35 pm

I was lucky enough to see him a fair number of times in the astrodome. He was the last batter up in a no-hitter I saw Don Wilson pitch. Very exciting. (Wilson struck him out.).

One funny thing that I hadn’t thought of in a long time: back in the day when home run derby was pretty big (at least with me) I was young enough to get confused about Henry Aaron vs Hank Aaron. I remember thinking they were brothers.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:35 pm
I was lucky enough to see him a fair number of times in the astrodome. He was the last batter up in a no-hitter I saw Don Wilson pitch. Very exciting. (Wilson struck him out.).

One funny thing that I hadn’t thought of in a long time: back in the day when home run derby was pretty big (at least with me) I was young enough to get confused about Henry Aaron vs Hank Aaron. I remember thinking they were brothers.
Dope. Smart people like me know they were father and son.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 pm

I loved Hammerin Hank. The year he broke the record, I had a summer job that required my spoiled teenage butt to fall outta bed at 5:30 a.m. -- up until that point, a virtually unknown spot on my alarm clock.

But I made it! I stayed awake to see the homer! I yelled loud enough to wake myself up, then went to bed.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm

We have been sniping about the wording of the headline on my wire desk

one-time home run king
onetime home run king
longtime home run king

I finally gave up and went another path (home run king who defied racism) and still got flak. I think this guy is going to be one of these former sportswriters, male, who thinks things abut women in jobs having to do with sports. Which reminds me, everyone check out Helen Elliott's column on that topic from The LA Times.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:11 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm
We have been sniping about the wording of the headline on my wire desk

one-time home run king
onetime home run king
longtime home run king

I finally gave up and went another path (home run king who defied racism) and still got flak. I think this guy is going to be one of these former sportswriters, male, who thinks things abut women in jobs having to do with sports. Which reminds me, everyone check out Helen Elliott's column on that topic from The LA Times.
That's Helene Elliott. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#10 Post by kroxquo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:06 pm

Hank and his brother Tommie still hold the record for most combined home runs for brothers - 768. 755 for Hank, 13 for Tommie
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:19 pm

As I posted elsewhere, my favorite stat of Hammerin' Hank's: every time he stepped to the plate, he was nearly twice as likely to get an RBI as he was to strike out. Different time.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:25 pm

FiveThirtyEight just posted a nice piece on him, pointing out that no one in the history of baseball (and they do mean no one) sustained excellence as consistently and as long as he did. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:20 pm

I love this picture

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:35 am

A truly class act and in my mind the best player of all time.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm

The Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta United, and Georgia Tech football have announced that they will retire the number 44 for next season in honor of Aaron (the Braves retired Aaron's number years ago).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com