Windows 10 Update Computer Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Windows 10 Update Computer Question

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:55 am

I haven't had the best luck with updating Windows 10. About a year ago the update hung up and wouldn't finish. I finally figured out how to fix it from online postings, but this time the problem is worse.

There's a new January 2021 update that came out Tuesday. I got the word from my computer that it would complete the update outside business hours, so I paused it for a few days until I was ready to see it through. So far so good. Then on Wednesday, Outlook crashed on me, which it does occasionally, and when I reopened it, it wouldn't check for new emails any more. So I rebooted the computer to start Outlook fresh. Big mistake.

For whatever reason, the Windows 10 update decided to start installing itself and got about 30% before rebooting. I'm used to these Windows updates restarting the computer multiple times, so I didn't think anything of it. But when the computer restarted, the Acer logo appeared as usual, with those little circling dots underneath for about ten seconds and then the screen went black and everything stopped. After waiting to be sure it wouldn't start on its own after about another 15 minutes or so, I turned the computer on and off a few times and each time the same thing happened.

I finally fixed the problem by creating a USB boot disk on Mrs. SSS''s computer (I should have done this a long time ago) and then using the boot disk to do a system restore to before the January 2021 update. Now the computer's working again in its pre-update mode (and I made sure it hadn't started to download the January 2021 update), but I'm not sure what I should do about installing this update. I don't want to go through that experience again. I'm going to see if anyone reports a similar problem online but wondered if anyone knew a safe way to do the update without crashing my system again.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: Windows 10 Update Computer Question

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 am

Do you know you can do a restart without updating? That's an option under the Power entry.

The hang after the 30% reboot is somewhat common.

See this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0fb?auth=1
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.