Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#151 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:47 pm

I would be pleased with Bialik as permanent host in whatever capacity she's available. I think she's fitting in nicely, not drawing too much attention to herself, explaining answers when appropriate, all that.

I do like her sitcom, but at 13 episodes a year, she will be able to make this work, maybe not a full-full season ofJ, but as much as she wants. Keeping Jennings in the works will be good for everyone.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#152 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:47 pm
I would be pleased with Bialik as permanent host in whatever capacity she's available. I think she's fitting in nicely, not drawing too much attention to herself, explaining answers when appropriate, all that.

I do like her sitcom, but at 13 episodes a year, she will be able to make this work, maybe not a full-full season ofJ, but as much as she wants. Keeping Jennings in the works will be good for everyone.
The taping schedule has been five shows per day, two days a week. I think she can handle that.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

triviawayne

#153 Post by triviawayne » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 am
Ritterskoop wrote:

The taping schedule has been five shows per day, two days a week. I think she can handle that.
good to know you've decided that for everyone involved on her sitcom... :lol:

Bob Juch

#154 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:31 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 am
Ritterskoop wrote:

good to know you've decided that for everyone involved on her sitcom... :lol:
I didn't decide a thing. I said: "I think".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#155 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:56 pm

Jeopardy announced that the prime time college tournament hosted by Mayim Bialik will take place over a three-week non-consecutive period in February. It will follow the traditional tournament format (five winners plus four wild cards the first week, three days of semi-finals, and a two-day final).

Ken Jennings has been hosting the shows for the past several weeks, but Mayim will return next week for the first-ever college professor tournament, a successor to the teacher tournament they've held in the past.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#156 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:01 pm

To the surprise of absolutely no one, the producers of Jeopardy announced today that Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik will continue to rotate as hosts for the remainder of the current season. They will make a decision on a host for next year later, presumably after seeing whether Mayim Bialik's TV series is renewed for a third season.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#157 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:28 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:01 pm
To the surprise of absolutely no one, the producers of Jeopardy announced today that Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik will continue to rotate as hosts for the remainder of the current season. They will make a decision on a host for next year later, presumably after seeing whether Mayim Bialik's TV series is renewed for a third season.
I hope it isn't. Mayim is the runaway favorite at Casa Sprots.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Ritterskoop

#158 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:01 pm

Call Me Kat is pleasant enough, but it was on truly thin ice as to whether it would get picked up for Season 2, even at only 13 episodes each season.

In its favor for being renewed for Season 3:
-It is light and funny
-The audience is starting to get used to the 4th-wall gadget
-Leslie Jordan became a massive social media star among young people during quarantine
-Fox has a good bit of dreck, so it's not hard to be better than a lot of it

Against for being renewed:
-American shows rarely do that well at 13 episodes for a half-hour show (notable exception was The Good Place, in which Kristen Bell and Ted Danson both said that's all they would do because they had families) - the crew sometimes struggles to find enough other work to fill in the gap
-The audience is still not thrilled about the 4th-wall gadget
-Swoosie Kurtz has got to eat a sandwich a day for a while before some of us will be able to look at her
-Some folks are comparing this show to the British show that inspired it, and not in a good way

PS If you haven't seen The Good Place, please put it on your list. It is unlike anything else. 54 half-hour episodes over four seasons, nearly every bit of it genius and no filler. It's almost better if you leave some time between episodes (it aired weekly on broadcast -- how quaint).
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#159 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:17 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:01 pm

PS If you haven't seen The Good Place, please put it on your list. It is unlike anything else. 54 half-hour episodes over four seasons, nearly every bit of it genius and no filler. It's almost better if you leave some time between episodes (it aired weekly on broadcast -- how quaint).
I wholeheartedly concur. I LOVED this show. Perfect from start to finish. Even though I was sorry to see it end, the creators knew the amount of time they needed to tell the story and not to stretch it out a single episode too long. And in this day and age, with so many different series finales being criticized..or ending abruptly without resolution...the finale of this show was brilliant, and completely in line with the entire philosophy of the show. Left me with a little smile on my face and a lump in my throat.

Spoiler for those who haven't watched the show but still may binge it on Netflix:
Spoiler
Especially brilliant was examining the question of "What happens if you go to Heaven and get all the things you love for eternity? How long before that unprecedented level of happiness turns to boredom and lack of fulfillment/accomplishment?"

When they pondered those questions, I thought "Of course! No one ever thinks about that".

Therein lies the brilliance of the show. The sharp, wickedly funny writing combined with some dives into some pretty deep philosophical questions for a unique mix...especially for a network tv show.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#160 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:07 pm

I had to watch The Good Place because it had both an ethics teacher and a character named Eleanor (the name on my paperwork).
--------

Ritterskoop

#161 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Ooh, ooh, ooh! T_Bone, if you listen to podcasts AT ALL, you must listen to The Good Place: The Podcast. It is hosted by Marc Evan Jackson (he plays Shawn), and they bring in not just actors but writers and set people and even the lady who got them all the animals for an early episode. That iguana was not supposed to climb up Kristen Bell's head!

Also they talk to the ethics professor at Clemson who was their consultant. One time, I mean; they're not dumb.

Marc Evan Jackson ends every episode by saying, "Now go do something good." Even though he is kind of the show's villain, he has the best voice for radio (which is how I think of podcasts, without anyone calling in).

The podcast is nearly as good as the show.
--------

Spock

#162 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:06 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:17 am
Ritterskoop wrote:

I wholeheartedly concur. I LOVED this show. Perfect from start to finish. Even though I was sorry to see it end, the creators knew the amount of time they needed to tell the story and not to stretch it out a single episode too long. And in this day and age, with so many different series finales being criticized..or ending abruptly without resolution...the finale of this show was brilliant, and completely in line with the entire philosophy of the show. Left me with a little smile on my face and a lump in my throat.

Spoiler for those who haven't watched the show but still may binge it on Netflix:
Spoiler
Especially brilliant was examining the question of "What happens if you go to Heaven and get all the things you love for eternity? How long before that unprecedented level of happiness turns to boredom and lack of fulfillment/accomplishment?"

When they pondered those questions, I thought "Of course! No one ever thinks about that".

Therein lies the brilliance of the show. The sharp, wickedly funny writing combined with some dives into some pretty deep philosophical questions for a unique mix...especially for a network tv show.
Not to brag or anything, but I have thought about the topic in the spoiler a lot. Now I am going to have to watch, or listen or whatever to the show in question.

I don't know how to do spoilers anymore-otherwise I could say a little more.

silverscreenselect

#163 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:56 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
One thing I've noticed about the tendency to binge concluded series is the difficulty in avoiding major spoilers. If you know enough to interest you in watching The Good Place, then you know at least some of the major twists on the show. I'm watching Breaking Bad for the first time right now, but I knew several years ago the fates of some of the major characters. The same is true about almost every other popular series (or movie). It's tough to avoid spoilers for an episode for even a few days. If you come to it years after the fact, you know.

Frankly, knowing the ending of Breaking Bad hasn't diminished my enjoyment. There's a new version of Macbeth coming out this season with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. I'm pretty sure I know how that will end too, but I can still enjoy it. On the other hand, there's something to be said for the joy of being completely surprised by what you see onscreen. The biggest shock I ever had was when I saw Rosemary's Baby in a theater. It was advertised as some sort of soap operatic melodrama ("pray for Rosemary's Baby"), and I thought that's what I would get along with some R-rated kinkiness (I was still in high school back then). I hadn't read or heard anything about the book or movie other than the teaser trailers. Needless to say, as the movie went along, I couldn't believe what I was seeing and the direction in which the movie went. I'm not sure I've ever had that sensation since then in a quality film.

earendel

#164 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:33 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

Spoiler

Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone - "A NIce Place to Visit"
Spoiler
A thief is gunned down in an alley and wakes up to find himself unharmed and standing next to him is Sebastian Cabot, dressed in white, who introduces himself as "Pip". He's been sent to guide the man and tells the man that he can have anything he wants. After a series of experiences, the man demands to go to "the other place", to which Pip replies, "This IS the other place," followed by a malevolent laugh. It's one of my favorite episodes.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BackInTex

#165 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:01 pm

Mrs BiT and I were watching the first season of The Big Bang Theory and in episode 13 the guys were entering a Physics Bowl contest. They kicked Sheldon off the team and in their discussions about who they could get to replace him either Leonard or Howard said something like “we should get that girl who played Blossom. She’s pretty sharp. She’s an actual neuroscientist.” It would be 51 episodes (season 4) before Blossom would join the cast.

Makes me wonder if that was in the plan 3 years earlier or just coincidence.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#166 Post by Vandal » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 pm

earendel wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:33 pm

I think you mean A Nice Bored to Visit:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44092&p=459835#p459835
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#167 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:54 am

earendel wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:33 pm
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

Spoiler

Spoiler
A thief is gunned down in an alley and wakes up to find himself unharmed and standing next to him is Sebastian Cabot, dressed in white, who introduces himself as "Pip". He's been sent to guide the man and tells the man that he can have anything he wants. After a series of experiences, the man demands to go to "the other place", to which Pip replies, "This IS the other place," followed by a malevolent laugh. It's one of my favorite episodes.
A bit, but not anywhere near as sinister.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Spock

#168 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:06 pm

As I said-I don't know how to do spoilers, but I found something that exactly correlates with one of my thoughts and spoilers be damned, I guess.

I think that somehow, someway there would have to be danger in Heaven and I just ran across a passage in C.S. Lewis that is interesting.

From "Out of the Silent Planet"-Book 1 of his Space Trilogy.

>>>"And I say also this. I do not think the forest would be so bright, nor the water so warm, nor love so sweet, if there were no danger in the lakes."<<<<

Lewis, C. S.. Out of the Silent Planet: (Space Trilogy, Book One) (The Space Trilogy 1) (p. 78). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

BTW-Oddly enough, it is CS Lewis in The Last Battle who started me thinking along the lines of that there has to be danger in Heaven.

He talks about the great adventures (not described) that the protagonists went on to have in the New Narnia and it crossed my mind that there has to be danger to have great adventures.

silverscreenselect

#169 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:56 am

They're playing the College Championships on Jeopardy this week, and one of the rules, if I hear it correctly, is interesting. They've got 36 contestants from different colleges who play 12 games of three to determine the 12 semi-finalists. The categories seem to favor the younger generation with a lot of questions about social media and very current music. There are two games in each hourlong show. They go through the entire Jeopardy round without a stop, then, after the commercial greak, they interview the contestants and go through the entire DJ round with no stop.

The rule change is in the semi-finals. They play four games with three semi-finalists each. However, only the three high scores among the winners go on to the final. So, the winner of one semifinal will not make it. And the contestants are isolated from each other, so later contestants won't know how earlier ones did. This might encourage some wagering strategies that would be Cliff Clavin-ish in a regular game. The final will be a two-game best total score format like all other tournament formats.

There are no Georgia Tech students involved, but tonight there will be a Clemson student in one game and Georgia and Notre Dame students in the other, so I know who to root against.

BackInTex

#170 Post by BackInTex » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:06 pm

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:56 am

The rule change is in the semi-finals. They play four games with three semi-finalists each. However, only the three high scores among the winners go on to the final. So, the winner of one semifinal will not make it.
This is completely unfair. I know of no other contest that does something like this for the simple reason that the winners from earlier rounds were only winners because of the competition and conditions involved in that round. In other words they were the best, at that time, under those conditions, against those contestants.

In athletics they don't take only the top scores or fastest times at large because of conditions (wind, temperature, altitude, etc) amongst the various venues and competition times and the competition itself is not equal across rounds and one's athletic performance is usually enhanced or subdued by the relative competitiveness of one's opponents.

In Jeopardy the conditions would be the questions and then you have the competition. One "champ" may only be champ with a lot of points because their competition was slow on the buzzer and they had the opportunity to answer more questions.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#171 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:48 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:06 pm
In Jeopardy the conditions would be the questions and then you have the competition.
How close the leader is to the runnerup often determines the final score (assume Player 3 is at zero).

Scenario A in FJ

Player 1: 10,000
Player 2: 9,000

Scenario B:

Player 1: 10,000
Player 2, 4,500

In Scenario A, Player 1 will probably bet 8,001 and wind up with 18,001. In scenario B, Player 1 will bet no more than $999 and wind up with at most $10,999. That doesn't mean the first player is better than the second. That's why I mentioned some players adopting counterproductive strategies. If the player in scenario B judges that 10,999 won't be enough to advance, they may go for broke.

silverscreenselect

#172 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:52 am

Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik will continue to split hosting duties on Jeopardy next season. Bialik will host the upcoming Celebrity Jeopardy and any other primetime shows (like another possible college tournament). Producers have also indicated that they plan to expand the franchise, which might indicate other hosts besides Jennings and Bialik. Said Michael Davies: "With all of our plans for Jeopardy! — which is more Jeopardy!, not less, more versions — we're going to need multiple hosts to represent the entire audience, to represent the entire country, in order to take this franchise forward."

https://ew.com/tv/mayim-bialik-and-ken- ... ng-duties/

BackInTex

#173 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:28 am

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:52 am
Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik will continue to split hosting duties on Jeopardy next season. Bialik will host the upcoming Celebrity Jeopardy and any other primetime shows (like another possible college tournament). Producers have also indicated that they plan to expand the franchise, which might indicate other hosts besides Jennings and Bialik. Said Michael Davies: "With all of our plans for Jeopardy! — which is more Jeopardy!, not less, more versions — we're going to need multiple hosts to represent the entire audience, to represent the entire country, in order to take this franchise forward."

In other words "We're going to try and kill it like we did to WWTBAM through overexposure and 'specialty' versions."

BiT question: Is there significance in "The host of Jeopardy, Mayim Bialik!" and "Hosting Jeopardy, Ken Jennings!". Will that continue?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#174 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:43 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:28 am

In other words "We're going to try and kill it like we did to WWTBAM through overexposure and 'specialty' versions."

BiT question: Is there significance in "The host of Jeopardy, Mayim Bialik!" and "Hosting Jeopardy, Ken Jennings!". Will that continue?
I've read somewhere that Ken doesn't want to be referred to as "the host of Jeopardy!" because he feels like those words "belong" to Alex Trebek. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#175 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:17 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:43 am
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:28 am

I've read somewhere that Ken doesn't want to be referred to as "the host of Jeopardy!" because he feels like those words "belong" to Alex Trebek. --Bob
Thanks. That makes sense. I'd never seen anything annoucing Mayim as THE "official" host so I wondered.
~~ Thomas Jefferson