Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Message
Author
User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#126 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Estonut wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 am
Did you look at this poll? These ARE NOT J! viewers, for the most part.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you base that statement on since the poll of who should be the next host was asked of 1469 Jeopardy viewers. If you drill down into the data, youl'll see that of those, about 1/3 of them would probably be characterized as "infrequent" Jeopardy viewers, but they do watch the show. And for those who watch the show at least once a week, the results were: Jennings 19%, Bialik 13%, Rodgers 8%, Richards 6%, Cohen 4%. This data page didn't list Burton, Joe Buck or the other later hosts of the show, presumably because the page wasn't wide enough to fit all the rows on it. However, the numbers for those they did list didn't differ significantly between casual viewers and regular viewers with one exception. 19% of those who watched once a week or more wanted Jennings vs. 14% of all viewers.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-up ... _v1_CC.pdf
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
BackInTex
Posts: 11322
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: In Texas of course!

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#127 Post by BackInTex » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:34 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:57 pm
Estonut wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 am
Did you look at this poll? These ARE NOT J! viewers, for the most part.
I'm not sure what you base that statement on since the poll of who should be the next host was asked of 1469 Jeopardy viewers. If you drill down into the data, youl'll see that of those, about 1/3 of them would probably be characterized as "infrequent" Jeopardy viewers, but they do watch the show. And for those who watch the show at least once a week, the results were: Jennings 19%, Bialik 13%, Rodgers 8%, Richards 6%, Cohen 4%. This data page didn't list Burton, Joe Buck or the other later hosts of the show, presumably because the page wasn't wide enough to fit all the rows on it. However, the numbers for those they did list didn't differ significantly between casual viewers and regular viewers with one exception. 19% of those who watched once a week or more wanted Jennings vs. 14% of all viewers.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-up ... _v1_CC.pdf
Per the survey..."Never heard of" (all Adults)
David Faber 65%
Buzzy Cohen 64% 64% never heard of Buzzy
Bill Whitaker 52%
Mike Richards 50%
Joe Buck 48%
Savannah Guthrie 40%
Mayim Bialik 37%
Ken Jennings 34%
Robin Roberts 34%
Dr. Sanjay Gupta 32%
LaVar Burton 32%
Aaron Rogers 29%
Dr Oz 22%
George Stephanopoulos 21%
Katie Couric 19%
Anderson Cooper 12%

How often do you watch Jeopardy?
Never 33%
Less often than once a month 52% (includes never)

64% never heard of Buzzy and 1/3 never heard of Ken Jennings????

And 52% watch less than 12 episodes a year. Doesn't look like a poll of Jeopardy viewers to me. That's more than 1/3 an way less than "infrequent".
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#128 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:34 pm
And 52% watch less than 12 episodes a year. Doesn't look like a poll of Jeopardy viewers to me. That's more than 1/3 an way less than "infrequent".
If you look at the numbers in the survey question in the link I provided about who they thought should be the next Jeopardy host, the figures for those who watched at least once a week were very similar to the figures for all viewers (bottom of page 265). As I noted, regular viewers rated Ken Jennings a bit higher than all viewers.

They also removed those who said they never watched the show from the group of viewers. That's why the total number of adults interviewed is several hundred higher than the Jeopardy viewers.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
BackInTex
Posts: 11322
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: In Texas of course!

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#129 Post by BackInTex » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:10 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:57 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:34 pm
And 52% watch less than 12 episodes a year. Doesn't look like a poll of Jeopardy viewers to me. That's more than 1/3 an way less than "infrequent".
If you look at the numbers in the survey question in the link I provided about who they thought should be the next Jeopardy host, the figures for those who watched at least once a week were very similar to the figures for all viewers (bottom of page 265). As I noted, regular viewers rated Ken Jennings a bit higher than all viewers.

They also removed those who said they never watched the show from the group of viewers. That's why the total number of adults interviewed is several hundred higher than the Jeopardy viewers.
First off, there is no question in that survey asking the respondents who they prefer to be the next Jeopardy host. If there is, let me know what page it it on.

Second, it was a random sample of 2,200 adults. Not Jeopardy viewers. Says so on the first page.

Either your seeing a page I'm not or you don't understand statistics.

Just because two subsets of different populations are the same percentage of their population does not mean the members of the subsets are related.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
BackInTex
Posts: 11322
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: In Texas of course!

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#130 Post by BackInTex » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:16 pm

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of the following people?

is not the same as

Do you prefer this person as a host of Jeopardy?


I have a very very very favorable opinion of my wife but absolutely not to be a host of Jeopardy.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24203
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#131 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:19 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:53 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:17 am
I'm still pushing for Brad Rutter. The problem is that, like Ken Jennings, he has a contract with The Chase. Also, both of them don't really need the money.
needing the money is a requirement to host a game show?

I'M SO READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heh! Not needing the money is a requirement for saying, "no thank you."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
triviawayne
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#132 Post by triviawayne » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:19 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:53 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:17 am
I'm still pushing for Brad Rutter. The problem is that, like Ken Jennings, he has a contract with The Chase. Also, both of them don't really need the money.
needing the money is a requirement to host a game show?

I'M SO READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heh! Not needing the money is a requirement for saying, "no thank you."
Not at all. Not wanting to at any price is enough.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#133 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:16 pm
Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of the following people?

is not the same as

Do you prefer this person as a host of Jeopardy?


I have a very very very favorable opinion of my wife but absolutely not to be a host of Jeopardy.
If you look at the following link, you'll see the detailed breakdown of their survey data.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-up ... _v1_CC.pdf

They started by interviewing 2200 adults. They asked their interviewees a lot of questions on a wide variety of topics as you can see from the results. Then in Table 17, on page 71, they asked those 2200 how often they watched Jeopardy. 731 said they never watched Jeopardy, leaving 1469 who watched Jeopardy at least some of the time. That's where the 1469 figure of Jeopardy watchers came from. Then in Table 65 on pages 263-265, they asked those 1469 people which of the celebrity guest hosts they most wanted to see succeed Alex Trebek. On the bottom of page 265, they listed the results among all Jeopardy viewers and among those who watched the show at least once a week. The results as shown in this report don't include LeVar Burton and a couple of the other later hosts, presumably because they ran out of space on the page to show all the columns. But for those hosts they listed, the results were fairly similar between all Jeopardy viewers and regular viewers, except for Jennings, who polled 5% higher among regular viewers:

Ken Jennings 14 (all viewers) - 19 (regular viewers)
Mike Richards 6 (all) - 4 (regular)
Aaron Rodgers 8 (all) - 8 (regular)
Buzzy Cohen 2 (all) - 2 (regular)
Mayim Bialik 12 (all) - 13 (regular)
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
BackInTex
Posts: 11322
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: In Texas of course!

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#134 Post by BackInTex » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:51 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:16 pm
Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of the following people?

is not the same as

Do you prefer this person as a host of Jeopardy?


I have a very very very favorable opinion of my wife but absolutely not to be a host of Jeopardy.
If you look at the following link, you'll see the detailed breakdown of their survey data.

https://assets.morningconsult.com/wp-up ... _v1_CC.pdf

They started by interviewing 2200 adults. They asked their interviewees a lot of questions on a wide variety of topics as you can see from the results. Then in Table 17, on page 71, they asked those 2200 how often they watched Jeopardy. 731 said they never watched Jeopardy, leaving 1469 who watched Jeopardy at least some of the time. That's where the 1469 figure of Jeopardy watchers came from. Then in Table 65 on pages 263-265, they asked those 1469 people which of the celebrity guest hosts they most wanted to see succeed Alex Trebek. On the bottom of page 265, they listed the results among all Jeopardy viewers and among those who watched the show at least once a week. The results as shown in this report don't include LeVar Burton and a couple of the other later hosts, presumably because they ran out of space on the page to show all the columns. But for those hosts they listed, the results were fairly similar between all Jeopardy viewers and regular viewers, except for Jennings, who polled 5% higher among regular viewers:

Ken Jennings 14 (all viewers) - 19 (regular viewers)
Mike Richards 6 (all) - 4 (regular)
Aaron Rodgers 8 (all) - 8 (regular)
Buzzy Cohen 2 (all) - 2 (regular)
Mayim Bialik 12 (all) - 13 (regular)
Now I see it. I don't know why I couldn't find it yesterday. I thought I went to that same page. Anyway, my mistake, sorry.

I converted the page to excel and text hoping the missing columns were included in the underlying data, but they weren't. We are giving only 62% or so of the results.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24203
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#135 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:19 pm

Mike Richards is out as executive producer of J! and WoF.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
thguy65
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#136 Post by thguy65 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:59 am

And coming onto the J! team on an interim basis is ....Michael Davies!

https://www.thewrap.com/mike-richards-o ... -producer/
“I’m writing to let you know that Mike will no longer be serving as EP of Wheel and Jeopardy! effective immediately. We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at Jeopardy! it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks. That clearly has not happened,” said Suzanne Prete, EVP, Business and Strategy, “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy!”

Prete continued: “Michael Davies from Embassy Row has agreed to help with production on an interim basis until further notice. Michael and I will work together with all of you in the weeks ahead to ensure that production remains on schedule and we do not miss a beat as we head into the new season.
Perhaps the Final Jeopardy dramatic lighting and sound cues will be amped up?

- Tim H.

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24203
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#137 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:11 pm

thguy65 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:59 am
And coming onto the J! team on an interim basis is ....Michael Davies!

https://www.thewrap.com/mike-richards-o ... -producer/
“I’m writing to let you know that Mike will no longer be serving as EP of Wheel and Jeopardy! effective immediately. We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at Jeopardy! it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks. That clearly has not happened,” said Suzanne Prete, EVP, Business and Strategy, “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy!”

Prete continued: “Michael Davies from Embassy Row has agreed to help with production on an interim basis until further notice. Michael and I will work together with all of you in the weeks ahead to ensure that production remains on schedule and we do not miss a beat as we head into the new season.
Perhaps the Final Jeopardy dramatic lighting and sound cues will be amped up?

- Tim H.
I hope Michael Davies doesn't remember me so I'll finally be able to get on the show.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#138 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:04 pm

I got an email today from Jeopardy announcing the start of the new season today. It prominently featured returning champion Matt Amodio. Conspicuously absent from the email or the Jeopardy site itself was any mention of this week's host, Mike Richards. The website still has plenty of references and photos of Alex Trebek though.

Samit Sarkar, who is an editor at Polygon, a gaming and entertainment website, will be a contestant on Friday's show. He was quiet about how Amodio fares this week, but he did note one change from past years. In the past, Jeopardy has sent contestants two photographs, one a headshot of themselves and another a photo with the host. Sarkar said that he took a photo with Mike Richards, but the show only sent him the headshot.

There's still no word about any other hosts after Mayim Bialik, who was supposedly going to host for the three weeks following Richards' brief stint. If they are bringing someone new in, they would need to get him or her set up pretty quickly in order to tape the shows and have them ready in three weeks or less.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-jeopardy-c ... it-1628471
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Ritterskoop
Posts: 5496
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#139 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:51 pm

I think I read somewhere reliable that there would be another rotation of guests hosts, after that three weeks by Bialik. Call Me Kat will be a mid-season replacement, so she has some disposable time right now.

But a few places say insiders say the job is Ken Jennings' to lose.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/mayim-b ... rture.html
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!
Posts: 20504
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#140 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:24 pm

I read a click-bait article that said the new fan favorite is Buzzy Cohen.

I'm still for Ken.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#141 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:24 pm

One tidbit from today's show. They have renamed the stage where they tape the show as "The Alex Trebek Stage."
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
triviawayne
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#142 Post by triviawayne » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am

While it hasn't been official, it is obvious Mayim will be the permanent host when her sitcom ends. In the meantime, TMZ is reporting Ken will host when she does not; no more revolving door.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#143 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:34 am

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am
While it hasn't been official, it is obvious Mayim will be the permanent host when her sitcom ends. In the meantime, TMZ is reporting Ken will host when she does not; no more revolving door.
Variety has confirmed the story. Bialik will host through November 5, then she and Jennings will alternate through the end of the year as their schedules permit. The show says that no decision has been made about episodes airing in 2022, and no permanent guest host has been named. If current champion Matt Amodio keeps winning, there's a chance he could be in a position to break Jennings' record in an episode that Jennings hosts.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24203
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#144 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 am

triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am
While it hasn't been official, it is obvious Mayim will be the permanent host when her sitcom ends. In the meantime, TMZ is reporting Ken will host when she does not; no more revolving door.
TMZ is the only outlet for this rumor.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 19412
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#145 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:42 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 am
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am
While it hasn't been official, it is obvious Mayim will be the permanent host when her sitcom ends. In the meantime, TMZ is reporting Ken will host when she does not; no more revolving door.
TMZ is the only outlet for this rumor.
Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline Hollywood have all confirmed the story through their own sources. At least one of the stories indicated that the show wanted to firm up the schedule for the rest of this calendar year before making a final decision on what to do next year. They will not have another series of one- or two-week guest hosts. Michael Davies will be the interim showrunner.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 20026
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#146 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:42 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 am
triviawayne wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am
While it hasn't been official, it is obvious Mayim will be the permanent host when her sitcom ends. In the meantime, TMZ is reporting Ken will host when she does not; no more revolving door.
TMZ is the only outlet for this rumor.
Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline Hollywood have all confirmed the story through their own sources. At least one of the stories indicated that the show wanted to firm up the schedule for the rest of this calendar year before making a final decision on what to do next year. They will not have another series of one- or two-week guest hosts. Michael Davies will be the interim showrunner.
Jeopardy! has confirmed through official channels that's what it'll be doing. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 24203
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#147 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:42 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 am
TMZ is the only outlet for this rumor.
Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline Hollywood have all confirmed the story through their own sources. At least one of the stories indicated that the show wanted to firm up the schedule for the rest of this calendar year before making a final decision on what to do next year. They will not have another series of one- or two-week guest hosts. Michael Davies will be the interim showrunner.
Jeopardy! has confirmed through official channels that's what it'll be doing. --Bob
Good, that's the best choice. TMZ was ahead of the other outlets.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
triviawayne
Posts: 629
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am

Re: Ken Jennings on Jeopardy

#148 Post by triviawayne » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:47 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:42 pm
Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline Hollywood have all confirmed the story through their own sources. At least one of the stories indicated that the show wanted to firm up the schedule for the rest of this calendar year before making a final decision on what to do next year. They will not have another series of one- or two-week guest hosts. Michael Davies will be the interim showrunner.
Jeopardy! has confirmed through official channels that's what it'll be doing. --Bob
Good, that's the best choice. TMZ was ahead of the other outlets.
they often are, and don't seem to get things wrong more than any other media outlet where putting out a story with the option of a correction later is the prevailing attitude.

Post Reply