if you get weird connection messages on your computer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

if you get weird connection messages on your computer

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Short version: Change the number of devices on your router to 50

Long version: I was getting connection errors on the PC I brought home from work, but my Mac was fine. I put in a new Ethernet cable; no help. I restarted the router, and then got a different connection message.

All of the fixes I found online required admin access, which I don't have to the work-network PC.

So I remembered a fix from whe I got my most recent Apple device: You allow more devices to connect to the router.

In case this helps anyone here:

Look at your router to see which brand it is, and use another device to find out their passwords (mine was admin-admin, many are admin-password).

Look in your settings to get your IP address. Most are 192.168.1.1xx. Type that number into a browser to reach the router settings page. Put in the passwords, and change the number from 10 to 50, or more, if you have a family's worth of devices connecting.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.