Transcript 11/15/2020 Rorri Burton

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/15/2020 Rorri Burton

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:58 am

Rorri Burton
Sign language interpreter

Rorri interprets for many diffeent events, at schools, universities, and currently doing briefings for COVID in Los Angeles, and volunteers to interpret at Black Lives Matter events. The smartest person she knows is Neil Cordova, a fellow interpreter. He volunteers at a museum so he knows stuff about dinosaurs and art.

$100: Elton John's rise to stardom is chronicled in what 2019 movie?
A - Rocketman
B - Hustlers
C - Shazam!
D - Someone Wasted My Time Tonight

Rorri didn't see the movie but she knows it was named for one of Elton John's songs.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Rocketman)
$200: In 2020, the U.S. Postal Service began putting paw print stickers on some malboes to warn mail carriers about what?
A - traffic
B - dogs
C - bad weather
D - high voltage

Rorri has several family members who work for the Post Office.
Spoiler
Answer: B (dogs)
$300: According to the U.S. Coast Guard, which of these states is not home to a lighthouse?
A - North Carolina
B - South Dakota
C - Rhode Island
D - New Jersey

Rorri says that three of these are coastal states.
Spoiler
Answer: B (South Dakota)
$500: Never stated in the original nursery rhyme, Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking-Glass" was likely the first to identify what character as an egg?
A - the Mad Hatter
B - Tweedledee
C - the Red Queen
D - Humpty Dumpty
Spoiler
Answer: D (Humpty Dumpty)
$1000: What medical equipment can be seen in the logo of the American Society of Acupuncturists?
A - forceps
B - tongue depressors
C - needles
D - scalpels

Rorri has interpreted for acupuncturists' sessions.
Spoiler
Answer: C (needles)
$2000: What is the last name of the politician whose official presidential campaign website in 2020 was peteforamerica.com?
A - Sanders
B - Booker
C - Buttigieg
D - Bloomberg

Rorri doesn't want to mispronounce the name, so Jimmy asks her how it would be done in sign language; Rorri says she would have to spell it out, and Jimmy asks her to do it. He says it's probably easier to sign it than to say it.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Buttigieg)
$4000: "To Spin or Not to Spin"? is the title of an economics paper analyzing the perfect strategy for playing what game show's "Showcase Showdown"?
A - The Price is Right
B - The $100,000 Pyramid
C - Jeopardy!
D - Match Game

Rorri's mother was a big game show fan and Rorri watched all of these.
Spoiler
Answer: A (The Price is Right)
$8000: Retelling an earlier novel from a vampire's point of view, the 2020 bestseller "Midnight Sun" is the latest installment in the widely popular series?
A - The Hunger Games
B - Divergent
C - A Song of Ice and Fire
D - The Twilight Saga

Rorri doesn't know anything about vampires, so she calls on Neil, who tells her what the answer is.
Spoiler
Answer: D (The Twilight Saga)
commercial break

$16,000: Where on a golf course would a golfer typically use a club engraved with an "S"?
A - tee box
B - fairway
C - bunker
D - putting green

Rorri is clueless and asks Neil if he knows anything about golf. He says he doesn't. She's going to use a lifeline; she says that Jimmy looks like he knows about golf so she uses that lifeline.
Ask the host results:
Jimmy says he's not a golfer, but he knows this. "S" means sand wedge and it would be used in a bunker. Rorri goes with that answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (bunker)
$32,000: Famously shouted at the end of the movie "Se&en," what is the answer to Brad Pitt's frantic question, "What's in the box?!"
A - a note
B - a head
C - a photograph
D - a bomb

Rorri isn't a movie fan, and neither is Neil. At one point she was a big Brad Pitt fan because of "Brangelina"; she didn't watch this movie because it was scary. She knows there was a head in the box, but doesn't know if that was the answer to the question. She knows there was a head in the box so that was the answer to the question.
Spoiler
Answer: B (a head)
Rorri now has to decide if she wants to trade one of her remaining lifelines to use Neil one more time. Neil says that the lifelines she has are good ones. She decides not to use him.

$64,000: How do you spell the name of the third largest city in Ohio?
A - C-I-N-N-C-I-N-A-T-I
B - C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I
C - C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-T-I
D - C-I-N-N-C-I-N-A-T-T-I

Rorri says that words are funny - you can read them and spell them all the time but when you look at them they look funny. She says that the sign for the city is C-I-N, so it isn't A or D. Jimmy asks her for the signs for Cleveland and Columbus, and she shows them. He asks if every city has its own sign. She says it depends on many factors. She shows the sign for Akron but doesn't know the sign for Toledo. She knows how to spell the city and spell-signs it.
Spoiler
Answer: B (C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I)
commercial break

$125,000: The author of what children's book was inspired to write his classic work after meeting a girl in the hospital who just had her appendix removed?
A - Matilda
B - Blueberries for Sal
C - Madeline
D - The Velveteen Rabbit

Rorri loves books but she hasn't read any of these, and never heard of "Blueberries for Sal" so she tentatively eliminates that one because "how could it be a classic if I've never heard of it?" She doesn't know the answer so she uses a lifeline, the 50:50.
50:50 results:
B & C
Rorri says that changes everything. She says "Sal" is a boy's name. She doesn't think it's a classic. Deductive reasoning says it must be "C". Either way she has to go home and read them. She makes "C" her final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Madeline)
commercial break

Rorri was a teacher at one time, teaching in all grades K-12. She adopted one of her students. Jimmy asks her what she'll do with the money. She has bills to pay but would like to donate some to Black interpreter groups and help some of her former students having financial difficulties due to COVID, and take a vacation.

$250,000: While U.S. banknotes depict past political leaders like Hamilton and Lincoln, the banknotes for Euros depict examples of European what?
A - mountain ranges
B - paintings
C - architectural styles
D - inventions

Rorri says she has no clue. She's never been to Europe and never handled a Euro. She's handled foreign currency but only that from the Western Hemisphere. She will have to phone a friend, her uncle Marvin. He's a traveler, plays piano on cruise ships that travel all over the world. He lives in Denver.
Phone-a-friend results:
Rorri asks "What are on Euros?" then reads the choices. She repeats the choices. Marvin would say "inventions" but he's not sure.
Rorri says, "Ay dios mio." Since her uncle didn't know, and she doesn't, either, she decides to walk away. "You've got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. It's too risky." She would have guessed C.
Spoiler
Answer: C (architectural styles)
commercial break
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 11/15/2020 Rorri Burton

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:58 am
$125,000: The author of what children's book was inspired to write his classic work after meeting a girl in the hospital who just had her appendix removed?
A - Matilda
B - Blueberries for Sal
C - Madeline
D - The Velveteen Rabbit

Rorri loves books but she hasn't read any of these, and never heard of "Blueberries for Sal" so she tentatively elimiates that one because "how could it be a clasic if I've never heard of it?" She doesn't know the answer so she uses a lifeline, the 50:50.
50:50 results
: B & D
Rorri says that changes everything. She says "Sal" is a boy's name. She doesn't think it's a classic. Deductive reasoning says it must be "C". Either way she has to go home and read them. She makes "C" her final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Madeline)
commercial break
What did the 50-50 actually leave? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

bazodee

Re: Transcript 11/15/2020 Rorri Burton

#3 Post by bazodee » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:55 pm

She exhibited a skill that is so undervalued. There is a lot of fluff in the first line of her Phone-A-Friend's question. Hamilton and Lincoln have nothing to do with the question at hand. She was able to distill the question to its essence-- what's on Euro banknotes? So many contestants waste so much time in reading the entire question to their PAF, often just confusing their PAF with irrelevant and extraneous info.

She executed it with aplomb.