Given how bad the polls were at all levels

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Given how bad the polls were at all levels

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:59 pm

are you guys happy with the time you wasted drooling over them for months?

1)Dragging Biden over the line with close results in a few swing states was not what you were thinking.

2) Polls kind of missed the whole Republicans picking up house seats didn't they? You all here missed that too, didn't ya?

3) Polls kind of missed Trump winning Florida, Ohio, Iowa and North Carolina-didn't they? as did most you. Hell, lots of you guys had Trump losing Texas, too.

4) Susan Collins!!!! Anybody here have that one? Of course you didn't, You all live and die by the polls and the polls showed her losing.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Given how bad the polls were at all levels

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:18 pm

In Nate I trust.

The polls didn't miss by that much, probably about 3-4% nationally, which is a normal polling error. That's why Nate gave Biden nearly a 90% chance to win -- precisely because he could survive a 2016-sized miss by the polls, which is pretty much exactly what happened.

Nate's model had Senator Collins around 40% to win reelection. An underdog, sure, but not much of one. Similar results for the other close Senate races.

The House races are explained simply enough. Polling errors are correlated.

By the way, I don't remember you characterizing Donny's victory in 2016 as particularly close, even though President-elect Biden won all three "blue wall" states by larger margins than Donny did, and even though President-elect Biden also flipped Arizona and Georgia. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Pretty obvious what happened here...the polls could not predict the widespread conspiratorial fraud that saw thousands and thousands of ballots "cast" for Trump by dead Republicans. And they might've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling Democrats!

OK, seriously, I don't put much trust in polls..if 2016 didn't teach us that lesson, I don't know what else would. They're fun to follow, especially if your particular candidate is leading, but to take for granted your candidate is going to win based on the polls, well, yer none too bright to my way a'thinkin'.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#4 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Political polling is often only as accurate as Win Probability:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Is there a Win Probability chart for the Miracle of the Meadowlands? I wouldn't be shocked if that one were provably wrong. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Pats the Odds-On Favorite to Win Super Bowl XLII
It was only a question of by how much. The 16-0 New England Patriots are the overwhelming favorites to win the 2008 Super Bowl. Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, Randy Moss and company are probative -139 favorites to win Super Bowl XLII.... The NFC teams that oddsmakers give little chance to are the Seattle Seahawks at +4243, Tampa Bay Buccaneers +7500, the other Manning (Eli) and the New York Giants at +7000, and the Washington Redskins at +6613.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:24 pm

Even more impressive was how far below the O/U the game ended. Lots of folks lost big on that bet.

Super Bowl XLII (42)
Game: New England Patriots vs. New York Giants
Spread: Patriots (-12.5)
Over/Under: 54.5
SU Result: Giants, 17-14
ATS Result: Giants covered by 15.5 points
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:08 am

"Blue wave" apparently doesn't mean what I thought it meant.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire