Vaccine Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Vaccine Question

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 pm

We seem to have two vaccines with over 90% effectiveness. There may be others that are close to readiness as well. Once they start distributing the vaccine, will people know which vaccine they are getting? Obviously, all things being equal, I would rather have a 95% vaccine than a 90% or even lower if they approve others as well. And, do you improve your immunity if you take two different vaccines from different manufacturers? Or would that have side effects? Or would that option even be available?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

triviawayne

Re: Vaccine Question

#2 Post by triviawayne » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Since one is 3 weeks between shots, and the other is 4 weeks between shots, it'll be easy to figure out which one you get.

Considering the supply issues there will be, I don't care which one I get, I only hope I can get it early in the cycle since my employer is totally careless and has no problem putting me in danger.

bazodee

#3 Post by bazodee » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Each dose is labeled individually and the info will become part of your medical record. This is done in case there is contamination within a small batch of vaccine.
Even now, you can look up the manufacturer and lot number of each dose of the flu vaccine you get.

I imagine many people won't even ask.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 pm
We seem to have two vaccines with over 90% effectiveness. There may be others that are close to readiness as well. Once they start distributing the vaccine, will people know which vaccine they are getting? Obviously, all things being equal, I would rather have a 95% vaccine than a 90% or even lower if they approve others as well. And, do you improve your immunity if you take two different vaccines from different manufacturers? Or would that have side effects? Or would that option even be available?
The Pfizer vaccine's side effects have been reported to be quite severe in many people. They last only two to three days, however. I haven't heard about Moderna's.

My PCP says the new shingles vaccine has bad side effects too and to plan ahead for feeling terrible for two to three days.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm
The Pfizer vaccine's side effects have been reported to be quite severe in many people. They last only two to three days, however. I haven't heard about Moderna's.

My PCP says the new shingles vaccine has bad side effects too and to plan ahead for feeling terrible for two to three days.
I had both doses of the new shingles vaccine a couple of years ago, and I don't remember any side effects other than the usual sore upper arm. YMMV. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:01 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

I had both doses of the new shingles vaccine a couple of years ago, and I don't remember any side effects other than the usual sore upper arm. YMMV. --Bob
My arm was really painful for a few days but that was all for me, too.
Well, then

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:28 pm

In addition to the helpful information already shared, I believe that because of the difference in storage needs for these two vaccines, there will be a large difference in how they are administered and what groups of people get them.

The Moderna vaccine does not require supercooling, so it can be stored in a regular freezer. That makes more sense for places like CVS or Walgreens with walk-up business. The Pfizer vaccine requires specialized handling and storage, so it makes more sense for "blitz" type administration: say, every patient and staff member in a nursing home, or something. This info came from an interview on NPR.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:01 pm
Bob Juch wrote:

You were lucky. Here's a full description:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... pper%20arm.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 pm

Shingles shots gave me a sore arm, also, but nothing else. I get a mild sore arm from a flu shot, but this one is worse. Eh. I'm sure it is way better than getting shingles.

I'm willing to forego my first COVID shot so that a healthcare professional can get their second one earlier. It won't be presented to us like that, but some of us would raise our hands if we had the chance.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:06 pm

I had an inexplicable skin problem for years that started a few weeks after a tetanus booster & couldn't get any info from the hospital about that batch of booster.

I didn't get any new vaccinations until last winter. I got the 2-stage Shingrex vaccine because my sister had had a horrible case of shingles. My only reaction at the time was a little arm soreness. Then this summer & fall I had pollen allergic reactions like I haven't had in 20 years. It was reportedly a bad year for pollen allergies, but maybe its also that my immune system woke up.

Since an immune over-reaction to Covid is what kills some people, maybe this is not so good?

I will get the Covid vaccine. And hope. I wish I'd saved that Time mag piece on the details of each vaccine being developed, but I can look it up.

My sister was allowed to get Shingrex herself; apparently it *is* OKed for shingles sufferers after the attack has calmed down.