Game #204: Marquee Roulette

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Game #204: Marquee Roulette

#51 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:03 am

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 am
73. “What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.”

74. This star’s screen spouses have included Julianne Moore and the actor in the preceding clue.
I don't know who 73 is, but I have a feeling that 74 is Annette Bening, who was involved with Julianne Moore in The Kids Are All Right (I'm not sure if they were actually married or not). I'm pretty sure that Bening is in the puzzle because she was also in Being Julia, which would match with Being John Malkovich.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#52 Post by kroxquo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:14 am

I'm not seeing any matches, but off the top of my head I am seeing possibilities for a lot of them that maybe someone else can come up with a match for:

Meryl Streep - Sophie's choice

Paul Muni - Life of Emile Zola, Story of Louis Pasteur

Bridges Brothers - Fabulous Baker Boys

Renee Zellweger - Bridget Jones's Diary

Steve McQueen - The Thomas Crown Affair

Peter Sellers - Dr. Strangelove

Mia Farrow - Rosemary's Baby

Oscar Isaac - Inside Llewyn Davis

Emily Blunt - Mary Poppins Returns

Shirley Maclaine - Sweet Charity

Alan Alda - The Seduction of Joe Tynan
Last edited by kroxquo on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mellytu74

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:15 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:03 am
franktangredi wrote:
73. “What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.”

74. This star’s screen spouses have included Julianne Moore and the actor in the preceding clue.
I don't know who 73 is, but I have a feeling that 74 is Annette Bening, who was involved with Julianne Moore in The Kids Are All Right (I'm not sure if they were actually married or not). I'm pretty sure that Bening is in the puzzle because she was also in Being Julia, which would match with Being John Malkovich.
Kevin Spacey.

David Gale in The Life of David Gale

kroxquo

#54 Post by kroxquo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:17 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:15 am
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:03 am
franktangredi wrote:

Kevin Spacey.

David Gale in The Life of David Gale
Which goes with #9 Paul Muni - The Life of Emile Zola
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mellytu74

#55 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:26 am

11. Jean Arthur = The Devil and Miss Jones
82. Edward Arnold = The Devil and Daniel Webster

120. Though they achieved film stardom at about the same time, he never appeared on screen with his first wife – perhaps remembering how she had stolen a big Broadway musical out from under him.

I will bet this is ELLIOTT GOULD

Which gives us The Devil and Max Devlin

silverscreenselect

#56 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:17 pm

franktangredi wrote:
36. He drove a chariot in The Ten Commandments, rode a racehorse in A Day at the Races, and fought gladiators in Spartacus – but you won’t find his name in the credits for any of them.
I thought this was Strode, especially since Sergeant Rutledge is a perfect match with Sergeant York. But it's Richard Farnsworth, who appeared in The Straight Story, which matches with Jimmy Stewart in The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story. And I'm sure there's another _________ Story with another actor somewhere for a triple.

If Sergeant Rutledge isn't on there, the most likely other match is Steve Martin for Sergeant Bilko.

mellytu74

#57 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:29 pm

68. HAROLD LLOYD - The Sin of Harold Diddlebock
38. HELEN HAYES - The Sin of Madelon Claudet

silverscreenselect

#58 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:53 pm
mellytu74 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 pm
100. She completes a list that includes Willem Dafoe, Daniel Day Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Jose Ferrer, Ed Harris, Marcia Gay Harden, Salma Hayek, and Anthony Quinn.

All of these actors were nominated for Oscars for playing artists.

Van Gogh, Christy Brown, Van Gogh, Toulouse Lautrec, Pollock, Lee Krasner, Kahlo, Gauguin.

That said, I have NO idea who the actress is.
Blatant lookup, but it appears to be Isabelle Adjani, who was nominated for Camille Claudel in 1988.
And Adjani was in The Story of Adele H., which matches with Paul Muni in The Story of Louis Pasteur.

silverscreenselect

#59 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:49 pm

jarnon wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 pm
62. This French actor/writer/director was selected by Entertainment Weekly as one of the 50 Greatest Directors of All Time – even those his body of work consisted of only six feature-length comedies.
This is Jacques Tati, whose best known film is Monsieur Hulot's Holiday. My guess is that one of the answers is Rowan Atkinson for Mr. Bean's Holiday.

mellytu74

#60 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm

55. “Well, when we're young, we look at thing very idealistically I guess. And I think Woodsworth means that ... that when we're grow-up ... then, we have to ... forget the ideals of youth ... and find strength….”

This is NATALIE WOOD in Splendor in the Grass

silverscreenselect

#61 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm
55. “Well, when we're young, we look at thing very idealistically I guess. And I think Woodsworth means that ... that when we're grow-up ... then, we have to ... forget the ideals of youth ... and find strength….”

And Wood was in Inside Daisy Clover, which matches with Oscar Isaac and Inside Llewyn Davis.

mellytu74

#62 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:59 pm

79. “There are 20 million women in this island and I've got to be chained to you.”

ROBERT DONAT in The 39 Steps.

79. Robert Donat - Goodbye Mr. Chips
19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS - Goodbye Charlie

45. JACK NICHOLSON - About Schmidt
110. SHIRLEY BOOTH - About Mrs. Leslie

franktangredi

#63 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm
mellytu74 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm

And Wood was in Inside Daisy Clover, which matches with Oscar Isaac and Inside Llewyn Davis.
This was the match that started me on the whole thing.

jarnon

#64 Post by jarnon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 pm

I can’t get any matches, so I’ll just post another consolidation…

Identify the 125 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs and 20 triples according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eleven actors will be used twice and one actor will be used five times.

*1. MARLON BRANDO
*2. LAURA DERN

3. “Twelve fox years ago, you made a promise to me, while we were caged inside that fox trap, that if we survived, you would never steal another chicken, turkey, goose, duck, or a squab - whatever they are, and I believed you. Why? Why did you lie to me?”
MERYL STREEP

4. His marriage to another Hollywood star lasted until his death – on their 57th wedding anniversary – in 1990.
HUME CRONYN? JOEL McCREA?

5. “King Kong ain't got s**t on me!”

6. Appropriately, she made her Broadway debut in a revival of A Doll’s House and also starred in an unsuccessful musical adaptation of I Remember Mama.
LIV ULLMAN

*7. BRADLEY COOPER

8. She and Sally Field won Emmy awards for playing similar roles 32 years apart.
TONI COLLETTE

**9. PAUL MUNI

10. Before achieving superstardom in the 1970s, this actor appeared in three of the best action movies of the 1960s – two war films and a western.
CHARLES BRONSON? STEVE McQUEEN?

*11. JEAN ARTHUR

12. As far as I know, he is the only actor to have supported Meryl Streep, Brooke Shields, and the Beatles – though not all in the same movie.
LEO McKERN

13. “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all. The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper.”

14. As children in the late 1950s-early 60s, they each appeared as guests on a popular TV adventure series starring their father.
BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES

*15. CHARLES LAUGHTON

16. He played the chief villain in the movie from which the above quote is taken.
CEDRIC HARDWICKE

17. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”
RENEE ZELLWEGER

18. He completes a list that also includes Roberto Benigni, Marcello Mastroianni, and Massimo Troisi.
GIANCARLO GIANNINI?

*19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
*20. JASON ROBARDS
*21. HENRY FONDA
*22. RUTH GORDON
*23. BRAD PITT

24. His screen co-stars have included Laurence Olivier, Steve Martin, and the Muppets.
MICHAEL CAINE

25. “With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it don't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together.”

26. At a Passover seder in 1922, this comedian was introduced to his future wife – and sometimes foil – by Harpo Marx.
JACK BENNY

27. “You realize we're all going to go to college as virgins. They probably have special dorms for people like us.”

28. He and Paul Newman were the first actors to receive “staggered-but-equal” billing in a Hollywood film, with one name appearing to the right and higher than the other.
STEVE McQUEEN

*29. BRIAN DONLEVY
*30. JOSEPH FIENNES
*31. RICHARD HARRIS

32. In different screen comedies, she posed as the wives of Jason Sudeikis and Adam Sandler.
JENIFER ANISTON?

*33. AL PACINO

34. He said the film he most regretted making was a reboot of an old TV show – but at least it netted him a #1 record.
WILL SMITH?

35. “I wouldn't marry you if you were young, which you can't be. If you were honest which you never were and If you were about to die, tomorrow which is too much to hope for!”

36. He drove a chariot in The Ten Commandments, rode a racehorse in A Day at the Races, and fought gladiators in Spartacus – but you won’t find his name in the credits for any of them.

*37. FREDRIC MARCH
*38. HELEN HAYES

39. “I've had this business: ‘Anything is better than nothing.’ There are times when nothing has to be better than anything.”

40. His filmography includes roles previously played onscreen by Gérard Philipe, Arthur Kennedy, and Lon Chaney, Jr.
MALKOVICH?

41. “Well … nobody’s perfect.”
JOE E. BROWN

42. Her onscreen husbands included Don Ameche, John Lund, John Payne, and – unfortunately for him – Cornel Wilde.
GENE TIERNEY

43. “I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it.”
MICHAEL J. FOX

44. She is the only woman to have hosted the Oscars, the Grammys, and the Primetime Emmys.
WHOOPI GOLDBERG?

*45. JACK NICHOLSON

46. It being the 1940s, nothing really untoward happened when he went up to one girl’s room and got another’s garter.
DENNIS O'KEEFE

47. “Well now, what happened is ... ahm ... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of ... well, he went a little funny in the head. .. you know ... just a little ... funny. And, ah ... he went and did a silly thing....”
PETER SELLERS

48. The reason there has never been a film version of The Catcher in the Rye is that the he refused to allow any other screen adaptations of his work after seeing the 1949 movie starring this actress.
SUSAN HAYWARD

49. “Oklahoma Kid. That's me. I'm the Oklahoma Kid. You f**kin' varmint! Dance. Dance. Yahoo, ya mother**ker!”

50. In 1946 and 1947, this star of movie musicals had the highest salary of any woman in the United States.
GINGER ROGERS? ESTHER WILLIAMS? BETTY GRABLE?

51. “Five years ago you didn't care about telling the truth. You and all your family, you just assumed that for all my education, I was still little better than a servant, still not to be trusted. Thanks to you, they were able to close ranks and throw me to the f**king wolves!”

*52. STEVE REEVES

53. “Someone hurt my friend Lloyd, and not just on his face. He is having a hard time forgiving the person who hurt him. Do you, do you know what that means? To forgive? It's a decision we make to release a person from the feelings of anger we have at them. It's strange, but sometimes it's hardest of all to forgive someone we love.”

54. She is within two nominations of tying Peter O’Toole’s Oscar record – assuming, of course, that she doesn’t win.
GLENN CLOSE?

*55. NATALIE WOOD
*56. PETER USTINOV

57. “Yeah, f**k you, too. F**k me? F**k you, F**k you and this whole city and everyone in it. F**k the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. F**k the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car - get a f**king job! F**k the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores stinking up my day. Terrorists in f**king training. SLOW THE F**K DOWN! F**k the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps”.

58. During his long career, this character actor worked under the direction of Alfred Hitchcock, Ernst Lubitsch, Preston Sturges, Howard Hawks, Sam Wood, Clarence Brown, and – in his Oscar-winning role – George Stevens.
CHARLES COBURN

*59. GENE WILDER

60. Though he earned a knighthood – primarily for his stage work – he never quite lived up to his early promise as “the next Olivier,” and his career came to be eclipsed by that of his third wife.

61. “I want you to remember this word, okay? It's kind of like a code word: Yahoo. Can you remember that?”

62. This French actor/writer/director was selected by Entertainment Weekly as one of the 50 Greatest Directors of All Time – even those his body of work consisted of only six feature-length comedies.
JACQUES TATI

*63. GARY COOPER

64. Each of these bandleaders appeared as themselves in a variety of 1940s musicals, including one based on the film referenced in the preceding clue.
TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY

65. "Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go! Sub-question: Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins? Is it better to burn out or fade away?”

66. In addition to her Oscars and her National Medal of the Arts, this actress was named a Dame Commander of the British Empire and a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor.

67. "Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And ... and then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

*68. HAROLD LLOYD

69. “I wouldn't know him if he stood up in my soup!”

70. His filmography includes adaptations of plays by Shakespeare, Shaw, Robert E. Sherwood, and Philip Barry.

71. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
WILLIAM POWELL

72. During a brief sojourn in Hollywood during World War II, this quintessentially British actress appeared in adaptations of three light-hearted Broadway musicals.
ANNA NEAGLE?

*73. KEVIN SPACEY

ANNETTE BENING

75. “I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.”
MIA FARROW

*76. OSCAR ISAAC

77. “It's for Paris, I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.”
EMILY BLUNT

*78. JOAN FONTAINE
*79. ROBERT DONAT

80. He was one of the first British paratroopers to land at Normandy on D-Day – an experience he recreated in two different films about D-Day.
DAVID NIVEN

81. “Just take this pen, please, and write me?”

*82. EDWARD ARNOLD

83. “Shut up and deal.”
SHIRLEY MacLAINE

*84. GEORGE SEGAL

85. “You know what? I respect women! I love women! I respect them so much that I completely stay away from them! “

86. On screen, she had the unusual distinction of playing love interest to both Marlon Brando and Sabu.

87. “He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost. Do you suppose it's always like that? I mean war.”
RICHARD BURTON

88. This actor is a licensed pilot and has black belts in budo-jujitsu, capoeira, hapkido, and kendo – but it was another hobby of his that nearly killed him in 1988.

*89. JAMIE FOXX
*90. BOBBY VAN

91. “Welcome to Chicago. This town stinks like a whorehouse at low tide.”
SEAN CONNERY

92. He wrote, directed, and starred in a 1981 comedy in which his wife was played by another member of the classic CBS Saturday night lineup of the mid-1970s. Got that?
ALAN ALDA

93. “Then go on! Whistle it! Whistle as loud as you can!”

94. The mysterious man he played in a 1998 film was similar to – but far less sinister than – the mysterious man played by Sterling Holloway on an episode of The Twilight Zone.

95. “Oh come off it, Major! You put me right off my fresh fried lobster, do you realize that? I'm now going to go back to my bed, I'm going to put away the best part of a bottle of scotch. And under normal circumstances, you being normally what I would call a very attractive woman, I would have invited you back to share my little bed with me and you might possibly have come. But you really put me off. I mean you ... you're what we call a regular army clown.”

96. This Australian actor made his film debut in a role that, two years later, would be more memorably played by Clark Gable.
ERROL FLYNN

*97. TIM BLAKE NELSON

98. The shortest road from Vidal Sassoon to Rodgers & Hammerstein is through this actress.

99. “We had different needs. I needed him to treat me decently and get a job, and he needed to empty my bank account and leave. “

*100. ISABELLE ADJANI

101. “Oh, god ... there's nothing more inconvenient than an old queen with a head cold.”
ROBERT PRESTON

*102. JOHN HEARD

103. “He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the Ten Most Wanted list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.”
JANET MARGOLIN

*104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR.

105. “They say once you grow crops somewhere, you have officially colonized it. So, technically, I colonized Mars. In your face, Neil Armstrong!”
MATT DAMON

106. Her first marriage to an actor and war hero did not last – at least in part because, during an episode of PTSD, he held her at gunpoint.
SHIRLEY TEMPLE

107. “Gee, Sadie was a good skirt. I shouldn't have slipped her that ant poison. I should have just battered her in the jaw a few times.”
WALLACE BEERY

*108. ROBERT REDFORD

109. “We've got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”
MICHAEL KEATON

*110. SHIRLEY BOOTH

111. “I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up.”
MOLLY RINGWALD

112. Another winner of the Triple Crown of Acting, he gave this explanation for why he would turn down a knighthood: "I became an actor to be a rogue and a vagabond and play by my own rules so I don't think it would be apt for the establishment to pull me in as one of their own, for I ain't.”

113. “I happen to know that in the future I will not have the slightest use for algebra, and I speak from experience.”
KATHLEEN TURNER

114. This actor succeeded Charlton Heston and was succeeded by Dennis Weaver.
JOHN GAVIN

*115. ORSON WELLES

116. In 1982, this star released what became the best-selling VHS of all time.
JANE FONDA

*117. ANNE BAXTER

118. He has appeared onscreen with Bugs Bunny, Pauly Shore … and Sir Ian McKellan.

119. “They've committed a murder! And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”
HARVEY KEITEL? EDWARD G. ROBINSON?

*120. ELLIOTT GOULD

121. “After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. ‘Get the fuck out of London, youse dumb fucks.’”

*122. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR.
*123. BETTE DAVIS

124. She reportedly turned down several offers to receive the Kennedy Center Honors because her fear of flying precluded her from attending the ceremony.
DORIS DAY?

125. “I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness and a little looking out for the other fella, too.”
JIMMY STEWART

TANGREDI
Two (or three) actors play the title role in movies with titles that are identical except for the names of the title characters.

MATCHES
115. ORSON WELLES in Citizen Kane; 2. LAURA DERN in Citizen Ruth
52. STEVE REEVES in Hercules Unchained; 89. JAMIE FOXX in Django Unchained
21. HENRY FONDA in Young Mr. Lincoln; 59. GENE WILDER in Young Frankenstein
90. BOBBY VAN in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis; 78. JOAN FONTAINE in The Affairs of Susan; 37. FREDRIC MARCH in The Affairs of Cellini
30. JOSEPH FIENNES in Shakespeare in Love; 84. GEORGE SEGAL in Blume in Love
102. JOHN HEARD in Cutter's Way; 33. AL PACINO in Carlito's Way
63. GARY COOPER in Meet John Doe; 23. BRAD PITT in Meet Joe Black
29. BRIAN DONLEVY in The Great McGinty; 108. ROBERT REDFORD in The Great Gatsby
15. CHARLES LAUGHTON in The Private Life of Henry VIII; 122. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR. in The Private Life of Don Juan
20. JASON ROBARDS in The Ballad of Cable Hogue; 97. TIM BLAKE NELSON in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
7. BRADLEY COOPER in All About Steve; 117. ANNE BAXTER in All About Eve
22. RUTH GORDON in What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?; 123. BETTE DAVIS in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
1. MARLON BRANDO in Viva Zapata; 56. PETER USTINOV in Viva Max
31. RICHARD HARRIS in A Man Called Horse; 104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR. in A Man Called Adam
73. KEVIN SPACEY in The Life of David Gale; 9. PAUL MUNI in The Life of Emile Zola
11. JEAN ARTHUR in The Devil and Miss Jones; 82. EDWARD ARNOLD in The Devil and Daniel Webster; 120. ELLIOTT GOULD in The Devil and Max Devlin
68. HAROLD LLOYD in The Sin of Harold Diddlebock; 38. HELEN HAYES in The Sin of Madelon Claudet
100. ISABELLE ADJANI in The Story of Adele H.; 9. PAUL MUNI in The Story of Louis Pasteur
55. NATALIE WOOD in Inside Daisy Clover; 76. OSCAR ISAAC in Inside Llewyn Davis
79. ROBERT DONAT in Goodbye Mr. Chips; 19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS in Goodbye Charlie
45. JACK NICHOLSON in About Schmidt; 110. SHIRLEY BOOTH in About Mrs. Leslie
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#65 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:01 pm

Since we're this far along, I will tell you that the answer suggested or given for 44, 54, 80, and 106 are not correct.
jarnon wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:18 pm
I can’t get any matches, so I’ll just post another consolidation…

Identify the 125 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 40 pairs and 20 triples according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

*1. MARLON BRANDO
*2. LAURA DERN

3. “Twelve fox years ago, you made a promise to me, while we were caged inside that fox trap, that if we survived, you would never steal another chicken, turkey, goose, duck, or a squab - whatever they are, and I believed you. Why? Why did you lie to me?”
MERYL STREEP

4. His marriage to another Hollywood star lasted until his death – on their 57th wedding anniversary – in 1990.

6. Appropriately, she made her Broadway debut in a revival of A Doll’s House and also starred in an unsuccessful musical adaptation of I Remember Mama.
LIV ULLMAN

*7. BRADLEY COOPER

8. She and Sally Field won Emmy awards for playing similar roles 32 years apart.
TONI COLLETTE

**9. PAUL MUNI

10. Before achieving superstardom in the 1970s, this actor appeared in three of the best action movies of the 1960s – two war films and a western.

*11. JEAN ARTHUR

12. As far as I know, he is the only actor to have supported Meryl Streep, Brooke Shields, and the Beatles – though not all in the same movie.
LEO McKERN

13. “Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot. And the baboons are going ape over this. Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all. The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't. The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper.”

14. As children in the late 1950s-early 60s, they each appeared as guests on a popular TV adventure series starring their father.
BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES

*15. CHARLES LAUGHTON

16. He played the chief villain in the movie from which the above quote is taken.
CEDRIC HARDWICKE

17. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”
RENEE ZELLWEGER

18. He completes a list that also includes Roberto Benigni, Marcello Mastroianni, and Massimo Troisi.
GIANCARLO GIANNINI?

*19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
*20. JASON ROBARDS
*21. HENRY FONDA
*22. RUTH GORDON
*23. BRAD PITT

24. His screen co-stars have included Laurence Olivier, Steve Martin, and the Muppets.
MICHAEL CAINE

25. “With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it don't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together.”

26. At a Passover seder in 1922, this comedian was introduced to his future wife – and sometimes foil – by Harpo Marx.
JACK BENNY

27. “You realize we're all going to go to college as virgins. They probably have special dorms for people like us.”

28. He and Paul Newman were the first actors to receive “staggered-but-equal” billing in a Hollywood film, with one name appearing to the right and higher than the other.
STEVE McQUEEN

*29. BRIAN DONLEVY
*30. JOSEPH FIENNES
*31. RICHARD HARRIS

32. In different screen comedies, she posed as the wives of Jason Sudeikis and Adam Sandler.
JENIFER ANISTON?

*33. AL PACINO

34. He said the film he most regretted making was a reboot of an old TV show – but at least it netted him a #1 record.
WILL SMITH?

35. “I wouldn't marry you if you were young, which you can't be. If you were honest which you never were and If you were about to die, tomorrow which is too much to hope for!”

*37. FREDRIC MARCH
*38. HELEN HAYES

39. “I've had this business: ‘Anything is better than nothing.’ There are times when nothing has to be better than anything.”

40. His filmography includes roles previously played onscreen by Gérard Philipe, Arthur Kennedy, and Lon Chaney, Jr.
MALKOVICH?

41. “Well … nobody’s perfect.”
JOE E. BROWN

42. Her onscreen husbands included Don Ameche, John Lund, John Payne, and – unfortunately for him – Cornel Wilde.
GENE TIERNEY

43. “I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it.”
MICHAEL J. FOX

44. She is the only woman to have hosted the Oscars, the Grammys, and the Primetime Emmys.
WHOOPI GOLDBERG?

*45. JACK NICHOLSON

46. It being the 1940s, nothing really untoward happened when he went up to one girl’s room and got another’s garter.
DENNIS O'KEEFE

47. “Well now, what happened is ... ahm ... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of ... well, he went a little funny in the head. .. you know ... just a little ... funny. And, ah ... he went and did a silly thing....”
PETER SELLERS

48. The reason there has never been a film version of The Catcher in the Rye is that the he refused to allow any other screen adaptations of his work after seeing the 1949 movie starring this actress.
SUSAN HAYWARD

49. “Oklahoma Kid. That's me. I'm the Oklahoma Kid. You f**kin' varmint! Dance. Dance. Yahoo, ya mother**ker!”

50. In 1946 and 1947, this star of movie musicals had the highest salary of any woman in the United States.

51. “Five years ago you didn't care about telling the truth. You and all your family, you just assumed that for all my education, I was still little better than a servant, still not to be trusted. Thanks to you, they were able to close ranks and throw me to the f**king wolves!”

*52. STEVE REEVES

53. “Someone hurt my friend Lloyd, and not just on his face. He is having a hard time forgiving the person who hurt him. Do you, do you know what that means? To forgive? It's a decision we make to release a person from the feelings of anger we have at them. It's strange, but sometimes it's hardest of all to forgive someone we love.”

54. She is within two nominations of tying Peter O’Toole’s Oscar record – assuming, of course, that she doesn’t win.
GLENN CLOSE?

*55. NATALIE WOOD
*56. PETER USTINOV

57. “Yeah, f**k you, too. F**k me? F**k you, F**k you and this whole city and everyone in it. F**k the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. F**k the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car - get a f**king job! F**k the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores stinking up my day. Terrorists in f**king training. SLOW THE F**K DOWN! F**k the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped-up biceps”.

58. During his long career, this character actor worked under the direction of Alfred Hitchcock, Ernst Lubitsch, Preston Sturges, Howard Hawks, Sam Wood, Clarence Brown, and – in his Oscar-winning role – George Stevens.
CHARLES COBURN

*59. GENE WILDER

60. Though he earned a knighthood – primarily for his stage work – he never quite lived up to his early promise as “the next Olivier,” and his career came to be eclipsed by that of his third wife.

61. “I want you to remember this word, okay? It's kind of like a code word: Yahoo. Can you remember that?”

JACQUES TATI

*63. GARY COOPER

64. Each of these bandleaders appeared as themselves in a variety of 1940s musicals, including one based on the film referenced in the preceding clue.
TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY

65. "Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go! Sub-question: Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins? Is it better to burn out or fade away?”

66. In addition to her Oscars and her National Medal of the Arts, this actress was named a Dame Commander of the British Empire and a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor.

67. "Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And ... and then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

*68. HAROLD LLOYD

70. His filmography includes adaptations of plays by Shakespeare, Shaw, Robert E. Sherwood, and Philip Barry.

71. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
WILLIAM POWELL

72. During a brief sojourn in Hollywood during World War II, this quintessentially British actress appeared in adaptations of three light-hearted Broadway musicals.
ANNA NEAGLE?

*73. KEVIN SPACEY

ANNETTE BENING

75. “I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.”
MIA FARROW

*76. OSCAR ISAAC

77. “It's for Paris, I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.”
EMILY BLUNT

*78. JOAN FONTAINE
*79. ROBERT DONAT

80. He was one of the first British paratroopers to land at Normandy on D-Day – an experience he recreated in two different films about D-Day.
DAVID NIVEN

*82. EDWARD ARNOLD

83. “Shut up and deal.”
SHIRLEY MacLAINE

*84. GEORGE SEGAL

85. “You know what? I respect women! I love women! I respect them so much that I completely stay away from them! “

86. On screen, she had the unusual distinction of playing love interest to both Marlon Brando and Sabu.

87. “He's dead. I'm crippled. You're lost. Do you suppose it's always like that? I mean war.”
RICHARD BURTON

88. This actor is a licensed pilot and has black belts in budo-jujitsu, capoeira, hapkido, and kendo – but it was another hobby of his that nearly killed him in 1988.

*89. JAMIE FOXX
*90. BOBBY VAN

91. “Welcome to Chicago. This town stinks like a whorehouse at low tide.”
SEAN CONNERY

92. He wrote, directed, and starred in a 1981 comedy in which his wife was played by another member of the classic CBS Saturday night lineup of the mid-1970s. Got that?
ALAN ALDA

94. The mysterious man he played in a 1998 film was similar to – but far less sinister than – the mysterious man played by Sterling Holloway on an episode of The Twilight Zone.

95. “Oh come off it, Major! You put me right off my fresh fried lobster, do you realize that? I'm now going to go back to my bed, I'm going to put away the best part of a bottle of scotch. And under normal circumstances, you being normally what I would call a very attractive woman, I would have invited you back to share my little bed with me and you might possibly have come. But you really put me off. I mean you ... you're what we call a regular army clown.”

96. This Australian actor made his film debut in a role that, two years later, would be more memorably played by Clark Gable.
ERROL FLYNN

*97. TIM BLAKE NELSON

98. The shortest road from Vidal Sassoon to Rodgers & Hammerstein is through this actress.

99. “We had different needs. I needed him to treat me decently and get a job, and he needed to empty my bank account and leave. “

*100. ISABELLE ADJANI

101. “Oh, god ... there's nothing more inconvenient than an old queen with a head cold.”
ROBERT PRESTON

*102. JOHN HEARD

103. “He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the Ten Most Wanted list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.”
JANET MARGOLIN

*104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR.

105. “They say once you grow crops somewhere, you have officially colonized it. So, technically, I colonized Mars. In your face, Neil Armstrong!”
MATT DAMON

106. Her first marriage to an actor and war hero did not last – at least in part because, during an episode of PTSD, he held her at gunpoint.
SHIRLEY TEMPLE

107. “Gee, Sadie was a good skirt. I shouldn't have slipped her that ant poison. I should have just battered her in the jaw a few times.”
WALLACE BEERY

*108. ROBERT REDFORD

109. “We've got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”
MICHAEL KEATON

*110. SHIRLEY BOOTH

MOLLY RINGWALD

112. Another winner of the Triple Crown of Acting, he gave this explanation for why he would turn down a knighthood: "I became an actor to be a rogue and a vagabond and play by my own rules so I don't think it would be apt for the establishment to pull me in as one of their own, for I ain't.”

113. “I happen to know that in the future I will not have the slightest use for algebra, and I speak from experience.”
KATHLEEN TURNER

114. This actor succeeded Charlton Heston and was succeeded by Dennis Weaver.
JOHN GAVIN

*115. ORSON WELLES

116. In 1982, this star released what became the best-selling VHS of all time.
JANE FONDA

*117. ANNE BAXTER

118. He has appeared onscreen with Bugs Bunny, Pauly Shore … and Sir Ian McKellan.

119. “They've committed a murder! And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”

*120. ELLIOTT GOULD

121. “After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. ‘Get the fuck out of London, youse dumb fucks.’”

*123. BETTE DAVIS

124. She reportedly turned down several offers to receive the Kennedy Center Honors because her fear of flying precluded her from attending the ceremony.
DORIS DAY?

125. “I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness and a little looking out for the other fella, too.”
JIMMY STEWART

TANGREDI
Two (or three) actors play the title role in movies with titles that are identical except for the names of the title characters.

MATCHES
90. BOBBY VAN in The Affairs of Dobie Gillis; 78. JOAN FONTAINE in The Affairs of Susan; 37. FREDRIC MARCH in The Affairs of Cellini
15. CHARLES LAUGHTON in The Private Life of Henry VIII; 122. DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR. in The Private Life of Don Juan
20. JASON ROBARDS in The Ballad of Cable Hogue; 97. TIM BLAKE NELSON in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
22. RUTH GORDON in What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?; 123. BETTE DAVIS in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
31. RICHARD HARRIS in A Man Called Horse; 104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR. in A Man Called Adam
73. KEVIN SPACEY in The Life of David Gale; 9. PAUL MUNI in The Life of Emile Zola
11. JEAN ARTHUR in The Devil and Miss Jones; 82. EDWARD ARNOLD in The Devil and Daniel Webster; 120. ELLIOTT GOULD in The Devil and Max Devlin
68. HAROLD LLOYD in The Sin of Harold Diddlebock; 38. HELEN HAYES in The Sin of Madelon Claudet
100. ISABELLE ADJANI in The Story of Adele H.; 9. PAUL MUNI in The Story of Louis Pasteur

silverscreenselect

#66 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 pm

jarnon wrote:
DAVID NIVEN
This is Richard Todd, whose appeared in A Man Called Peter. I know James Garner was in a movie titled A Man Called Sledge, but that might be a bit too obscure for Frank (it's the type of movie that's right in my wheelhouse on the other hand).

franktangredi

#67 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 pm

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 pm
jarnon wrote:
DAVID NIVEN
This is Richard Todd, whose appeared in A Man Called Peter. I know James Garner was in a movie titled A Man Called Sledge, but that might be a bit too obscure for Frank (it's the type of movie that's right in my wheelhouse on the other hand).
Doing this puzzle has made me realize how hard it is to find actors who weren't in The Longest Day.

silverscreenselect

#68 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 pm

jarnon wrote:
TONI COLLETTE

MOLLY RINGWALD
Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding
Molly Ringwald in Betsy's Wedding

A few slipped the cracks in this consolidation

Beau/Jeff Bridges (14) in The Fabulous Baker Boys
Tommy/Jimmy Dorsey (64) in The Fabulous Dorseys

36 is Richard Farnsworth in The Straight Story
125 Jimmy Stewart in The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story

28 Steve McQueen in The Cincinnati Kid
59 Gene Wilder in The Frisco Kid

74 is Annette Bening in Being Julia
40 John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich

franktangredi

#69 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:36 pm

One of the pairings below doesn't follow the rules.
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 pm
jarnon wrote:
TONI COLLETTE

MOLLY RINGWALD
Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding
Molly Ringwald in Betsy's Wedding

A few slipped the cracks in this consolidation

Beau/Jeff Bridges (14) in The Fabulous Baker Boys
Tommy/Jimmy Dorsey (64) in The Fabulous Dorseys

36 is Richard Farnsworth in The Straight Story
125 Jimmy Stewart in The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story

28 Steve McQueen in The Cincinnati Kid
59 Gene Wilder in The Frisco Kid

74 is Annette Bening in Being Julia
40 John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich

silverscreenselect

#70 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:38 pm

jarnon wrote:

61 is Jim Caviezel in Frequency. I thought it was Dennis Quaid but I checked and it's Caviezel, who was in The Passion of the Christ
118 is Brendan Fraser, who was in The Passion of Darkly Noon (I did look that film up once I figured it was Fraser)

silverscreenselect

#71 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 pm

jarnon wrote:
WHOOPI GOLDBERG?
And here is Ellen deGeneres, as I thought she would turn up. Finding Dory matches with (91) Sean Connery in Finding Forrester.

mellytu74

#72 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 am

I was looking over some of the unused names and thought of this. I'd mentioned this before.

46. DENNIS O'KEEFE - Brewster's Millions

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

The war hero HAS to be Audie Murphy, Because his wife, WANDA HENDRIX works well

106. WANDA HENDRIX - Miss Tatlock's Millons

mellytu74

#73 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:25 am

GLENN CLOSE?

How about AMY ADAMS?

jarnon

#74 Post by jarnon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:02 am

Corrected consolidation…

*1. MARLON BRANDO
*2. LAURA DERN
3. MERYL STREEP

6. LIV ULLMAN
*7. BRADLEY COOPER
*8. TONI COLLETTE
**9. PAUL MUNI

*11. JEAN ARTHUR
12. LEO McKERN

*14. BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES
*15. CHARLES LAUGHTON
16. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
17. RENEE ZELLWEGER
18. GIANCARLO GIANNINI
*19. DEBBIE REYNOLDS
*20. JASON ROBARDS
*21. HENRY FONDA
*22. RUTH GORDON
*23. BRAD PITT
24. MICHAEL CAINE

26. JACK BENNY

28. STEVE McQUEEN
*29. BRIAN DONLEVY
*30. JOSEPH FIENNES
*31. RICHARD HARRIS
32. JENIFER ANISTON
*33. AL PACINO
34. WILL SMITH

*36. RICHARD FARNSWORTH
*37. FREDRIC MARCH
*38. HELEN HAYES

*40. JOHN MALKOVICH
41. JOE E. BROWN
42. GENE TIERNEY
43. MICHAEL J. FOX
*44. ELLEN DeGENERES
*45. JACK NICHOLSON
*46. DENNIS O'KEEFE
47. PETER SELLERS
48. SUSAN HAYWARD

*52. STEVE REEVES

AMY ADAMS?

*55. NATALIE WOOD
*56. PETER USTINOV

58. CHARLES COBURN
*59. GENE WILDER

*61. JIM CAVIEZEL
62. JACQUES TATI
*63. GARY COOPER
*64. TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY

*68. HAROLD LLOYD

71. WILLIAM POWELL
72. ANNA NEAGLE
*73. KEVIN SPACEY
*74. ANNETTE BENING
75. MIA FARROW
*76. OSCAR ISAAC
77. EMILY BLUNT
*78. JOAN FONTAINE
*79. ROBERT DONAT

RICHARD TODD

*82. EDWARD ARNOLD
83. SHIRLEY MacLAINE
*84. GEORGE SEGAL

87. RICHARD BURTON

*89. JAMIE FOXX
*90. BOBBY VAN
*91. SEAN CONNERY
92. ALAN ALDA

96. ERROL FLYNN
*97. TIM BLAKE NELSON

*100. ISABELLE ADJANI

101. ROBERT PRESTON
*102. JOHN HEARD
103. JANET MARGOLIN
*104. SAMMY DAVIS, JR.
105. MATT DAMON
*106. WANDA HENDRIX
107. WALLACE BEERY
*108. ROBERT REDFORD
109. MICHAEL KEATON
*110. SHIRLEY BOOTH
*111. MOLLY RINGWALD

113. KATHLEEN TURNER
114. JOHN GAVIN
*115. ORSON WELLES
116. JANE FONDA
*117. ANNE BAXTER
*118. BRENDAN FRASER

*120. ELLIOTT GOULD

*123. BETTE DAVIS
124. DORIS DAY
*125. JIMMY STEWART

TANGREDI

MATCHES
8. TONI COLLETTE in Muriel's Wedding; 111. MOLLY RINGWALD in Betsy's Wedding
14. BEAU & JEFF BRIDGES in The Fabulous Baker Boys; 64. TOMMY & JIMMY DORSEY in The Fabulous Dorseys
36. RICHARD FARNSWORTH in The Straight Story; 125. JIMMY STEWART in The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story
74. ANNETTE BENING in Being Julia; 40. JOHN MALKOVICH in Being John Malkovich
61. JIM CAVIEZEL in The Passion of the Christ; 118. BRENDAN FRASER in The Passion of Darkly Noon
44. ELLEN DeGENERES in Finding Dory; 91. SEAN CONNERY in Finding Forrester
46. DENNIS O'KEEFE in Brewster's Millions; 106. WANDA HENDRIX in Miss Tatlock's Millons
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#75 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:24 am

jarnon wrote:
Jack Black in High Fidelity