Jeopardy! follow-up audition via Zoom tomorrow

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
andyrinny2

Jeopardy! follow-up audition via Zoom tomorrow

#1 Post by andyrinny2 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi Gang,

Tomorrow afternoon, I will have a "follow-up audition exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test" via Zoom. Apparently this is based on the online tests that were given in late January.

The email I received says the audition will last up to 40 minutes and "will consist of the 50-question 'in-person' test given by a member of the Jeopardy! staff." The email also states, "Please note the entire session will be video recorded, so you must have a computer camera turned ON throughout."

Has anybody here done such a follow-up audition? Thoughts on whether I should expect an interview/personality portion, or whether the audition will consist solely of the 50-question test? Any other thoughts on what I should expect?

Thanks for any thoughts or tips!

andyrinny

SpacemanSpiff

Re: Jeopardy! follow-up audition via Zoom tomorrow

#2 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 pm

First of all, congrats on this next step!

Second, don't sweat the second-round test. I'm sure it's the same concept as the in-person testing, which I think was primarily done to weed out those who had a ringer take the online test. Most folks (including me) thought it was actually easier than the online test.

As far as the rest of the interviewing process, just follow the advice written elsewhere about how to audition at this point. I think the primary thing is "be yourself, only bigger" (not sure how that would translate online, though). Make sure you have a good humorous stories, but keep them short. And have something good for what you'd do if you win big bucks. ("Pay bills" ain't it! And if you say "travel" then come up with something specific that is a bit big-budget.)

Best of luck!
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

andyrinny2

#3 Post by andyrinny2 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks, Spiff - great advice!

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 am

Current word on the street is you will take the 50-question zoom test so they can watch and make sure you aren't cheating, and that's all there is for this step.

After they determine you passed the 50-question test, you'll get an email stating you passed and they will schedule you for the next zoom at a later time (they can't tell you when), and that will consist of more people playing the mock game and clicking pens while sitting at their computers because...well...zoom. They will do the personality interview at that time, then you will be in pool purgatory with me until this entire mess goes away.

andyrinny2

#5 Post by andyrinny2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks, wayne! Your description matches the email I received, saying this audition would "consist of" the 50-question test. I'll report back after the test.

andyrinny2

#6 Post by andyrinny2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:54 pm

wayne was right - this round of the audition was just a 50-question test, together with some general info from the show staffers, including that we will hear back from them in a matter of weeks as to whether we passed or failed, and next steps.

andyrinny2

#7 Post by andyrinny2 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice so far. I have advanced to the next stage in the Jeopardy audition process. On Thursday June 3, I will be playing by Zoom "a mock version of Jeopardy! to assess your game-playing skills." Any thoughts on what to expect, and how to prepare? Thanks again!

andyrinny

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 pm

andyrinny2 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:37 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice so far. I have advanced to the next stage in the Jeopardy audition process. On Thursday June 3, I will be playing by Zoom "a mock version of Jeopardy! to assess your game-playing skills." Any thoughts on what to expect, and how to prepare? Thanks again!

andyrinny
They don't care whether your responses are right or wrong. That's what the written test was for. They care whether you keep the game moving. So be prepared to select quickly and use (easily understandable) shorthand for category names freely. If you can, try to let some personality show, but I'm pretty sure that keeping the game moving is a considerably higher priority for them.

I don't think anyone needs to dazzle during the interview segment. You just need to be non-boring (and avoid obvious gaffes, of course). --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 am

Best of luck!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

SpacemanSpiff

#10 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 am

^^ What Bob and tlynn said!
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:25 am

Go get 'em!!!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:52 pm

Do it!
Well, then

andyrinny2

#13 Post by andyrinny2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:51 am

Thanks for the tips, Bob, and thank you all for your well wishes. Audition is in a couple of hours. Taping my watch ....

andyrinny2

#14 Post by andyrinny2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 pm

Audition done. Now fingers crossed for up to 18 months!