IRS is finally off the schneid

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

IRS is finally off the schneid

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:42 am

Welp, I am finally done with an IRS issue for one of the entities I am responsible for.

The owners of the company I work for have a couple of trusts, and I get to pay bills for them. Last July, I sent payments for their end-of-year taxes (along with a bunch of other entities) via USPS.

All of them cleared except for one of the trusts. After about a month, when I saw it hadn't cleared, I called -- then hung up when told it would be a 70 minute wait.

Two weeks later came the nastygram, saying we owed what we had paid, plus interest and penalties. This time I called, waited about 55 minutes, and spoke to a real person. His basic response is "we're backed up processing these things, so don't void the check and make a new payment. Just wait and see what happens."

Shortly thereafter, there was a public announcement to that effect.

Over the weekend, we got a letter from IRS saying that the interest and penalties had been waived and that we owed nothing further on this account. I looked online with our bank, and found that the check had cleared 10/15.

While I'm glad it's over and that the right thing was done, it still irks me that this sort of thing happened. If it were just me that had this problem, I'd strike it up to issues with the USPS (especially this year), but this was strictly an IRS operational problem.

https://www.standard.net/news/governmen ... 4c206.html

https://www.freep.com/story/money/perso ... 767702002/
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

Re: IRS is finally off the schneid

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:39 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:42 am
Over the weekend, we got a letter from IRS saying that the interest and penalties had been waived and that we owed nothing further on this account. I looked online with our bank, and found that the check had cleared 10/15.
On a somewhat related issue, we still haven't received our federal tax refund check yet. We filled out a manual return shortly before the July 15 deadline. We received our state refund within a month.

Anyone else still waiting on refund checks? Or are we the only ones who still file paper returns?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: IRS is finally off the schneid

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:47 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:39 am
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:42 am
On a somewhat related issue, we still haven't received our federal tax refund check yet. We filled out a manual return shortly before the July 15 deadline. We received our state refund within a month.

Anyone else still waiting on refund checks? Or are we the only ones who still file paper returns?
I'm still waiting on my state refund check. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson