Worst game show ever?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Buffacuse

Worst game show ever?

#1 Post by Buffacuse » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:29 am

Don't recall seeing this as a thread here so apologies if I missed it...but was thinking of Tom Kennedy's passing and Jack Narz and wondering what everyone thinks is the worst game show ever.

Lots of candidates...but my offering is "The New Treasure Hunt" with Geoff Edwards.

SpacemanSpiff

Re: Worst game show ever?

#2 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:25 am

There were a couple of Tom Kennedy's that probably make the short list; the problem is they were so forgettable that I can't recall their names. Most of them I didn't like because they had the progressive-type prize format, but in order to get the prize you had to quit playing. If you lost at any stage, you went home with nothing, other than the lovely parting gifts, so it seemed that little was actually paid out to contestants.

The one I personally didn't care for that I can remember the name of was Geoff Edward's "Jackpot." It just seemed to hard to follow, also had the similar problem of few winners, and the minimalistic set didn't help either. I think the only reason I occasionally watched was because of the lack of competition against it (either soaps or news).
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 am

Actually, one of the shows that I thought was among the worst of all time is coming back this month: Supermarket Sweep. I never saw the appeal of people running around the aisles tossing frozen turkeys in shopping carts.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Earl the Squirrel

#4 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 am
Actually, one of the shows that I thought was among the worst of all time is coming back this month: Supermarket Sweep. I never saw the appeal of people running around the aisles tossing frozen turkeys in shopping carts.
Those people were idiots. Everybody knows you head straight for the imported cheese and high priced meat cuts.

My mom watches some pretty janky shit on the Game Show Network. The worst might have been a show I think was called Baggage. A sort of What's My Line type meets the Dating Game-type affair where you have to figure out who has the worst transgressions listed and if they'll go out with each other.

franktangredi

#5 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am

My candidate is Queen for a Day, where women competed to see who was the most miserable. Just watch from 20:16 and you'll get the idea.

SpacemanSpiff

#6 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:03 am

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am
My candidate is Queen for a Day, where women competed to see who was the most miserable. Just watch from 20:16 and you'll get the idea.

I agree this was a pretty bad show, and I saw it enough times -- my maternal grandmother watched it faithfully -- but I don't consider it a game show, the same way I wouldn't consider Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts or American Idol to be a game show, since the audience (studio or home) determines winners and losers. But I might just be splitting hairs here.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:33 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:03 am
franktangredi wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am

I agree this was a pretty bad show, and I saw it enough times -- my maternal grandmother watched it faithfully -- but I don't consider it a game show, the same way I wouldn't consider Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts or American Idol to be a game show, since the audience (studio or home) determines winners and losers. But I might just be splitting hairs here.
I would say it met the most basic requirements of a game show: rules, winners and losers, and a reward.