Three GOP Senators and counting--Judge Amy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Buffacuse

Three GOP Senators and counting--Judge Amy

#1 Post by Buffacuse » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:54 am

Opening this as a separate thread but as I write this GOP Sens Lee, Tillis and Johnson are all positive and in isolation.

As of right now they can move the nomination out of committee, holding hearings remotely and voting by proxy.

But...you have to be on the floor to vote. So, given the defections of Collins and Murkowski, right now McConnell does not have the votes to get her approved. If any more get sick and/or the three so far have an extended stay in isolation, it will have to wait.

Then, you have to ask the question...will McConnell really have the cajones to push it forward if Biden wins. And, will more GOP senators defect as a result.

Bob Juch

Re: Three GOP Senators and counting--Judge Amy

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:57 am

Lee and Tillis are members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Without them, Barrett's nomination might not leave the committee to be voted upon by the Senate.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:10 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:57 am
Lee and Tillis are members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Without them, Barrett's nomination might not leave the committee to be voted upon by the Senate.
If Lee and Tillis are not present, then the Democrats can boycott the final vote and it would not be valid because of a lack of a quorum. The Judiciary Committee rules state:
Seven Members of the Committee, actually present, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of discussing business. Nine Members of the Committee, including at least two Members of the minority, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of transacting business. No bill, matter, or nomination shall be ordered reported from the Committee, however, unless a majority of the Committee is actually present at the time such action is taken and a majority of those present support the action taken.
There are 12 Republicans, including Lee and Tillis, and 10 Democrats on the Committee. Without Lee, TIllis, or the Democrats, there is no quorum.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:04 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:10 am
Bob Juch wrote:
If Lee and Tillis are not present, then the Democrats can boycott the final vote and it would not be valid because of a lack of a quorum. The Judiciary Committee rules state:
Seven Members of the Committee, actually present, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of discussing business. Nine Members of the Committee, including at least two Members of the minority, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of transacting business. No bill, matter, or nomination shall be ordered reported from the Committee, however, unless a majority of the Committee is actually present at the time such action is taken and a majority of those present support the action taken.
There are 12 Republicans, including Lee and Tillis, and 10 Democrats on the Committee. Without Lee, TIllis, or the Democrats, there is no quorum.
Doesn't that mean that even if all the Republicans show up, and all the Democrats don't, that any action can not be taken?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Doesn't that mean that even if all the Republicans show up, and all the Democrats don't, that any action can not be taken?
No. A majority of 22 is 12. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:04 pm

No. A majority of 22 is 12. --Bob
Read your quote:
Nine Members of the Committee, including at least two Members of the minority, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of transacting business.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Ironic that the GOP's desire to show how macho they are by not wearing masks may thwart their much bigger priority of sealing a conservative majority on the Supreme Court.

BTW, I predict that Clarence Thomas will retire soon and Trump will nominate Kentucky AG Cameron. His press conference last week about Breonna Taylor was his audition.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Senator Grassley is refusing to be tested, despite meeting (face-to-face) with another Senator who tested positive. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:24 am

As I posted in another thread, I have heard that McConnell intends for the infected senators to sit in the gallery, where they can be physically present and vote, but be far enough away from the other senators (who should, but probably won't, wear masks).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Wed May 17, 2023 12:34 am

jarnon wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:03 pm
BTW, I predict that Clarence Thomas will retire soon and Trump will nominate Kentucky AG Cameron. His press conference last week about Breonna Taylor was his audition.
Well I was wrong about this. As for Cameron, he’s now the Republican candidate for governor of Kentucky.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי