Gawd, Facebook is Evil

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Gawd, Facebook is Evil

#1 Post by Spock » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:05 am

I think it has broken more relationships than it has strengthened. Facebook is just "Too Much" if you get what I mean. The internet was better before FB and Twitter.

I have not been on FB for years-but Mrs S is, and she mentioned that my cousin's wife spent a lot of time yesterday unfriending Trump supporters. As Mrs S doesn't do politics on FB other than a few likes she was not unfriended (Yet).

How do you have a relationship in real life with someone who unfriends you on FB?

FWIW, I have strongly encouraged Mrs S to stay away from politics on FB as I don't want real-life relationships poisoned.

silverscreenselect

Re: Gawd, Facebook is Evil

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:05 am
I think it has broken more relationships than it has strengthened.
I would think you would be a big fan of Facebook considering how active people have been in spreading right wing (including Russian) disinformation through Facebook. You should have no trouble getting plenty of friends who share your views and you can pass tidbits of misinformation back and forth to each other.

The difference between Facebook and real life is that most people in real life understand when to discuss politics and when not to discuss politics. You don't have people butting into family get-together conversations offering the latest about what Trump is doing (good or bad). And if they do, someone else usually puts them in their place quickly. But online, any time a lot of people find something interesting, they forward it, regardless of whether the people who receive it want it or not.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 am
Spock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:05 am
I think it has broken more relationships than it has strengthened.
I would think you would be a big fan of Facebook considering how active people have been in spreading right wing (including Russian) disinformation through Facebook. You should have no trouble getting plenty of friends who share your views and you can pass tidbits of misinformation back and forth to each other.

The difference between Facebook and real life is that most people in real life understand when to discuss politics and when not to discuss politics. You don't have people butting into family get-together conversations offering the latest about what Trump is doing (good or bad). And if they do, someone else usually puts them in their place quickly. But online, any time a lot of people find something interesting, they forward it, regardless of whether the people who receive it want it or not.
I will ignore the personal attack in the first paragraph-Basically, I simply do not discuss politics in real life or with real-life friends-other than tangentially. When I was on FB I used it as an outlet for dry humor and avoided politics like the plague-largely because of lessons learned here.

The second paragraph supports my theory of what is wrong with FB.

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:33 am

Actually, going back to the first paragraph of SSS's response-I would like to point out that nobody here is more mean-spirited than SSS.

Somehow, it seems to have missed much notice here-but I think it is fair to remind everyone that Nick Sandmann (Sp?) the Covington, Ky, kid has won millions (maybe hundreds of millions) from libel suits against the press for exactly the same kind of crap that SSS posted about him here.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:05 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:33 am
Somehow, it seems to have missed much notice here-but I think it is fair to remind everyone that Nick Sandmann (Sp?) the Covington, Ky, kid has won millions (maybe hundreds of millions) from libel suits against the press for exactly the same kind of crap that SSS posted about him here.
The terms of the settlements with CNN and The Washington Post are confidential, but those with experience in defamation law (translation: not Flock, Spock, Trump and company) highly doubt that Sandman got anything more than nuisance money for settling the suit. The primary reason is that he had a weak case, but even defending a slam dunk dismissal costs a good bit of time and money.

https://lawandcrime.com/media/some-lawy ... h-peanuts/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com