RIP Helen Reddy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

RIP Helen Reddy

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Chart-topping singer of the 1970s whose many hits included "I Am Woman" and "Delta Dawn".

She was 78. Her death was just reported by the Sydney Morning Herald about an hour ago.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

Re: RIP Helen Reddy

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 pm

The curse of the Tangredi strikes again.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:36 am

There is a movie about her life that is soon to be released. I just saw an interview with the actress who plays her.

RIP, Helen.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 pm

She was a great artist. I would sing along with I Am Woman and Candle on the Water when they were so popular, but my favorite was always Brazzle Dazzle Day.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Buffacuse

#5 Post by Buffacuse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 am

Looking for fact checking on this. Thought I heard at one point that as her career faded, she wound up playing cruise ships and other not premier venues.

Anyone know if this is true?

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:16 am

Buffacuse wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 am
Looking for fact checking on this. Thought I heard at one point that as her career faded, she wound up playing cruise ships and other not premier venues.

Anyone know if this is true?
What you heard may be a reference to her having a guest appearance as a passenger on an episode of The Love Boat:
A scientist (Tom Smothers) thinks a woman (Helen Reddy) is an alien and convinces Gopher (Fred Grandy) of it and freaks him out.
Actually, some of the cruise lines have had special theme cruises where they book several "name" musical acts to perform for the passengers (who typically pay highly inflated prices for that particular cruise). Here's an article that lists some of the recent ones. These aren't all A-list performers, but they aren't lounge acts either.

https://www.islands.com/best-music-them ... r-2018-19/

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:22 am

We saw the Helen Reddy biopic I am Woman on Netflix last night. It's an Australian film that was completed in 2019 and played several international film festivals. It received a very limited international release this summer before going to video in the U.S. Australian actress Tilda Cobham-Hervey plays Reddy, and Evan Peters plays her first husband and manager Jeff Wald. Cobham-Hervey is good, but this is a standard musical biopic. Clean up the dialogue and it could be a TV-network movie of the week. The film does show Reddy performing many of her best-known hits, but the vocals are by Australian singer Chelsea Cullen provides the vocals instead.

Ironically, at the end of the movie, where they show brief titles describing what happened to the main characters, it states that Reddy is still alive.