The weirdest thing

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Message
Author
Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#26 Post by Spock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:40 am

TGirl>>>"I love it when those types of things happen. I generally look up, say "Thanks, Lord" and chalk it up to "it's a God thing." I do that when I wake up in the morning now, too. lol"<<<<

One of the fun things about this thread is learning that a person might not be alone when he/she chalks up something to a "God Thing." Certainly, other weird things besides "God Things" can and should still be shared in this thread. But I think it is OK to have a thread like this after all these years. It is not evangelizing or anything like that. Just weird stories that may or may not be "God things."

Gawd knows, it might be better than another interminable thread on politics. It is something different anyway.

Maybe, I have overshared, but so what? These are fun stories to write and it is not like I would tell anybody from real life about them anyway. They work better written than verbally anyway. And at least, they are not political posts-LOL.

So, maybe I will tell part of the "Bird of Prey" story that I referenced above.

1) In college, I had a mantra when somebody asked about where I was from, I would answer.

>>"I went to high school in Hoffman, I am in the Kensington school district, My address is Farwell, My phone number is a Lowry number and the closest town is Cyrus."<<<

I can also see the Cyrus water tower from my driveway. Note the "Cyrus" thing as that is a fun coincidence mentioned below.

2) If God ever said anything to me-the clearest thing was
"He watched and waited and when the moment was right, he struck."

Several years went by and I tried not to think about this too much, but, as mentioned in an earlier post , I dug into the bible a couple of years ago and found Isaiah 46:11-"From the East, I summon a bird of prey."

I felt an immediate peace when I found that verse that is still with me 2 and a half years later.

It also fit the "Watching, waiting, striking" thing mentioned above as that is what Birds of Prey do.

I looked into the story behind it and learned the verse referred to King Cyrus in the bible. Note the fun coincidence with the town of "Cyrus."

The weirdest thing about this is that most likely very few, if any, people who have a connection with a modern "Cyrus" feel the strong, immediate connection that I have with that verse.

So my vision of God is that of a falconer with a Bird of Prey circling high above-"Watching and Waiting and Striking when the moment is right."

Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#27 Post by Spock » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Going off on a tangent here-which has never happened on the Bored-LOL.

I was in the tractor for several hours today and reflecting on my collection of weird stories in a way that I had never really done before.

It strikes me that it might be a "God Thing" to approach a person in a strange way, but that will work for that person.

For example, I absolutely detest the endless "God is Love" pablum that is so pervasive in the modern church. It is bitter gall and dust in the wind to me.

However, you give me a god that "conceals arrows" and hunts with a falcon, now that is a God that I can work with.

Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#28 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:43 am

A weird thing that I have pondered over the years.

Why is the Bored still here after all these years? What draws anybody to a dying message board of a defunct game show that is pretty predictable by now? What makes it so hard to leave for some?

Hell, we even have (had?) our own scribe.

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are still here for a reason, like we are waiting for something or have been prepared for something or whatever.

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 23420
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The weirdest thing

#29 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 am

Spock wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:43 am
A weird thing that I have pondered over the years.

Why is the Bored still here after all these years? What draws anybody to a dying message board of a defunct game show that is pretty predictable by now? What makes it so hard to leave for some?

Hell, we even have (had?) our own scribe.

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are still here for a reason, like we are waiting for something or have been prepared for something or whatever.
Most of us are not here to discuss politics.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#30 Post by Spock » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 am
Spock wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:43 am
A weird thing that I have pondered over the years.

Why is the Bored still here after all these years? What draws anybody to a dying message board of a defunct game show that is pretty predictable by now? What makes it so hard to leave for some?

Hell, we even have (had?) our own scribe.

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are still here for a reason, like we are waiting for something or have been prepared for something or whatever.
Most of us are not here to discuss politics.
Yes, you are widely known for your restraint when it comes to political threads-but lets not pollute this thread with any tit for tat stuff. Try and reserve it for "Weird" stuff.

But it still is really not an answer for my question. I think the Games (which I don't play) are the only thing that has kept the Bored alive. Things would be pretty pathetic here without the games which still seem to attract some people who mainly come for those. So the games have provided the critical life support and people mass for many years now.

The Bored would have died years ago without them. But yet we hang on.

But my main point is that I find it very weird that we are still here, and even weirder that we had a scribe (No offense meant, LB-LOL).

User avatar
Ritterskoop
Posts: 5393
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: The weirdest thing

#31 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:10 pm

This is unusual but hardly weird.

I played catcher in a slow-pitch media league for several years, in which the teams had to have two women on the field, and the men tended to try to make all the plays for us (the pitcher would try to come in to take the throws at home plate and like that). A pitcher on another team did that with me as a baserunner on third, and I made him pay. My teammate hit the ball deep, and as soon as the outfielder caught it, I headed for home. Pitcher Dude was blocking the plate without having the ball, so I flattened his ass. He was 6'2" and weighed maybe a buck-fifty soaking wet, so it didn't take much. Spindly jerk. Nothing wrong with being spindly but you don't have to be a jerk.

OK, the weird thing:

I made two unassisted outs at catcher in an inning one day, and realized it was never going to get better, and quit after that game.

The first was a foul tip down the third base line, normal.

The second, though, was odd. The pitch came in and landed on the black, the edge of the plate, and nestled there. I picked it up, and hearing nothing from the ump, tagged the batter with it. Ump yelled, "You're out," because the pitch had been live, and that was that. It was like a balk in baseball, where everyone just leaves, and no one knows why.

PS - And Melly, The Bee is one of the papers I work on every night!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend
Posts: 9599
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am

Re: The weirdest thing

#32 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:42 am

So what could be weirder than driving to the airport in hopes of auditioning for Millionaire and, half-way there, having a two-ton power pole break off near the base and crashing into the roof of my car. Old-timers may remember when that happened. That incident, however, ranks only second or third on my list. The single weirdest thing was something inexplicable that I observed, along with about 15 other witnesses, in absolute silence.

My first dog was Tigger, the dalmatian who became a certified therapy assistance dog. Her "specialty" was mentally challenged young adults. Every Tuesday night for seven years, I would drive her across town to a group home for young women, most of whom were born with Down Syndrome, cerebral palsy, or some kind of accidental brain injury in infancy. Never knowing what they might be missing in life, they were a cheerful and happy group, and they loved Tigger almost as much as I did. One night when the dog and I arrived, it quickly became apparent that something was wrong and everybody, including the two staff members, was tense.

One particularly sweet and usually cheerful young woman was terribly upset about something and no one knew why. She either didn't want to tell anybody or perhaps didn't have the vocabulary to explain the problem. Tigger went straight to her and looked into her eyes. She looked back and their eyes locked for a long time -- around 10 minutes, I think. No one made a sound as we all watched. Finally, the girl put both of her hands around Tigger's face and leaned over to kiss her on the top of the dog's head. When her face came back up, she was wearing a giant smile. Her world was okay again.

What had happened and how had they communicated? Nobody knows. Mind reading and telepathy? Maybe. I wouldn't discount anything about that dog. (She also "understood" ASL, even though I had never taught her sign language, nor had she ever been exposed to it in any other situation.)
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

User avatar
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator
Posts: 6586
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: State of Confusion

Re: The weirdest thing

#33 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am

Spock wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 am
Spock wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:43 am
A weird thing that I have pondered over the years.

Why is the Bored still here after all these years? What draws anybody to a dying message board of a defunct game show that is pretty predictable by now? What makes it so hard to leave for some?

Hell, we even have (had?) our own scribe.

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are still here for a reason, like we are waiting for something or have been prepared for something or whatever.
Most of us are not here to discuss politics.
Yes, you are widely known for your restraint when it comes to political threads-but lets not pollute this thread with any tit for tat stuff. Try and reserve it for "Weird" stuff.

But it still is really not an answer for my question. I think the Games (which I don't play) are the only thing that has kept the Bored alive. Things would be pretty pathetic here without the games which still seem to attract some people who mainly come for those. So the games have provided the critical life support and people mass for many years now.

The Bored would have died years ago without them. But yet we hang on.

But my main point is that I find it very weird that we are still here, and even weirder that we had a scribe (No offense meant, LB-LOL).
I do love the games, and I really should get my nose to the grindstone and put together an L.S. or something, but I can't seem to get motivated enough. But the main reason I check this site almost every day is to keep up with people I care very much about, who may not do Facebook. I would not like to lose touch with them.

I certainly am not drawn to the pissing contests...errr...political debates. I see enough of that on Facebook and try like hell not to get directly involved, although temptation becomes impossible to resist on some occasions.

As for why others still come here, it must be The Boney Awards :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :wink: :wink:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

User avatar
christie1111
11:11
Posts: 11625
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 am
Location: CT

Re: The weirdest thing

#34 Post by christie1111 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:05 pm

I must have been 11-ish or so as we were living in Newport at the time. My Mom had very diverse friends some of which actually were probably famous or rich. It wasn't very important to us.

One husband (Jacques) and wife friends were renting on old house in one of the older sections of Newport, so a really old section as far as the US is concerned.

The owner was coming for a visit so they needed someone to go to the house and dust, vacuum and generally neaten. Cool! Some $ for me!

So I start on the first floor but soon thought that someone was watching me. As I cleaned I closed shades/curtains as I thought it was my younger brother pranking me. I was pretty much done on that level and decided that my brother couldn't look in and bother me if I was on the second floor. House had an open stairwell to the second floor by the front door. As I entered the area and looked up to the top of the stairs, something was there. Can't describe it, not man or woman just a presence.

I went straight out the front door and to my Mom's store. Jacques' studio was two doors down. Went to him and said that I couldn't finish the job. He came with me to see my Mom. He apologized as whatever it was doen't usually bother anyone during the day. His wife couldn't stay there alone at night.

Apparently a man hung himself in that stair well in colonial times due to something with a woman. My Mom knew but had agreed with Jacques that since it was during the day I would be fine. I had never heard anything about it prior to cleaning there and they never discussed it around me.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#35 Post by Spock » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:14 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am
Spock wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:24 am

Most of us are not here to discuss politics.
Yes, you are widely known for your restraint when it comes to political threads-but lets not pollute this thread with any tit for tat stuff. Try and reserve it for "Weird" stuff.

But it still is really not an answer for my question. I think the Games (which I don't play) are the only thing that has kept the Bored alive. Things would be pretty pathetic here without the games which still seem to attract some people who mainly come for those. So the games have provided the critical life support and people mass for many years now.

The Bored would have died years ago without them. But yet we hang on.

But my main point is that I find it very weird that we are still here, and even weirder that we had a scribe (No offense meant, LB-LOL).
I do love the games, and I really should get my nose to the grindstone and put together an L.S. or something, but I can't seem to get motivated enough. But the main reason I check this site almost every day is to keep up with people I care very much about, who may not do Facebook. I would not like to lose touch with them.

I certainly am not drawn to the pissing contests...errr...political debates. I see enough of that on Facebook and try like hell not to get directly involved, although temptation becomes impossible to resist on some occasions.

As for why others still come here, it must be The Boney Awards :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :wink: :wink:
I like what you posted as it clarified my thoughts on this a little.

Let's accept, as a given, that we all have our reasons for still coming here (obviously). However, take the 10,000 foot view of the Bored. It would likely be viewed as very weird by outsiders. Maybe as one of the weirdest places on the internet.

Mrs S, and to a lesser extent my kids, are the only ones who know I am still on a Bored that is ostensibly for WWTBAM. How would you even begin to explain to somebody out of the blue?

I think, even from Day 1, the number of real life people I have told about this place has been very small. But it would have made sense to most 20 years ago. Now it would just be "Weird"-LOL.

User avatar
jaybee
Posts: 1741
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: The weirdest thing

#36 Post by jaybee » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Despite the fact that I am hardly ever here, and I do not play the games, and I never appeared on WWTBAM and I'm busy during the day when 90% of bored activity happens, I am still here.

Why?

20 years ago, this bored was my very first foray into the world of message boards in the interweb. I really did not know what to expect, but I was interested in the show and joined to get more information. I have joined a few other message boards over the years - most are gone now, or I just stopped going. But I still hang around here.

And I actually do know why (cue the sappy music). It's because of all the people we have here. Make no mistake, I certainly don't agree with everyone here. But I was never here for that. I learned how to get to 'know' people on-line. And it was a very diverse and knowledgeable group. And then, between auditions and some of the Jipterfest meetings I actually got to meet people - in person. I think I counted it up once and I've met around 75 of you out in the real world. Some were as I expected, some were certainly not but all of you had something worthwhile to share. I know that we were brought together by the common bond of this game show - nightly phone in stories, talking to Fred, study guides and sharing of interview strategies. But somewhere along there many of us found friends. Real friends, in the real world that are still important to us after two decades. I still stay in touch with several of you - you know who you are and you remain an important part of my life. So despite there being no more BAM and no more Regis, I'll continue to hang around.

Or maybe I'm here simply because how else could I have found myself having a wonderful time with 40 other people crammed into a hotel room in Vegas singing ABBA songs to Frank?
Jaybee

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 23420
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: The weirdest thing

#37 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Spock wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:14 pm
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am
Spock wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm


Yes, you are widely known for your restraint when it comes to political threads-but lets not pollute this thread with any tit for tat stuff. Try and reserve it for "Weird" stuff.

But it still is really not an answer for my question. I think the Games (which I don't play) are the only thing that has kept the Bored alive. Things would be pretty pathetic here without the games which still seem to attract some people who mainly come for those. So the games have provided the critical life support and people mass for many years now.

The Bored would have died years ago without them. But yet we hang on.

But my main point is that I find it very weird that we are still here, and even weirder that we had a scribe (No offense meant, LB-LOL).
I do love the games, and I really should get my nose to the grindstone and put together an L.S. or something, but I can't seem to get motivated enough. But the main reason I check this site almost every day is to keep up with people I care very much about, who may not do Facebook. I would not like to lose touch with them.

I certainly am not drawn to the pissing contests...errr...political debates. I see enough of that on Facebook and try like hell not to get directly involved, although temptation becomes impossible to resist on some occasions.

As for why others still come here, it must be The Boney Awards :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :wink: :wink:
I like what you posted as it clarified my thoughts on this a little.

Let's accept, as a given, that we all have our reasons for still coming here (obviously). However, take the 10,000 foot view of the Bored. It would likely be viewed as very weird by outsiders. Maybe as one of the weirdest places on the internet.

Mrs S, and to a lesser extent my kids, are the only ones who know I am still on a Bored that is ostensibly for WWTBAM. How would you even begin to explain to somebody out of the blue?

I think, even from Day 1, the number of real life people I have told about this place has been very small. But it would have made sense to most 20 years ago. Now it would just be "Weird"-LOL.
It wouldn't seem weird to many who are on Facebook as they probably have many friends they communicate only through posts, just as we do. I have several circles on Facebook: one of Bored members, most of whom never come here anymore, such as PSM, JBG, KT, Marry Mann, H-Bomb, June Bug, and others whose Bored names I don't recall (I don't want to out their real names). Also, other quizzing players, political allies, my former high school classmates, Mensa friends, and personal friends and family. I communicate with all regularly even though some I have never met, especially the political friends, and some I have not seen in many years. We're still good friends for the most part. There are a few who I don't agree with. The same goes here.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#38 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:42 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:47 pm
Spock wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:14 pm
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am


I do love the games, and I really should get my nose to the grindstone and put together an L.S. or something, but I can't seem to get motivated enough. But the main reason I check this site almost every day is to keep up with people I care very much about, who may not do Facebook. I would not like to lose touch with them.

I certainly am not drawn to the pissing contests...errr...political debates. I see enough of that on Facebook and try like hell not to get directly involved, although temptation becomes impossible to resist on some occasions.

As for why others still come here, it must be The Boney Awards :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :wink: :wink:
I like what you posted as it clarified my thoughts on this a little.

Let's accept, as a given, that we all have our reasons for still coming here (obviously). However, take the 10,000 foot view of the Bored. It would likely be viewed as very weird by outsiders. Maybe as one of the weirdest places on the internet.

Mrs S, and to a lesser extent my kids, are the only ones who know I am still on a Bored that is ostensibly for WWTBAM. How would you even begin to explain to somebody out of the blue?

I think, even from Day 1, the number of real life people I have told about this place has been very small. But it would have made sense to most 20 years ago. Now it would just be "Weird"-LOL.
It wouldn't seem weird to many who are on Facebook as they probably have many friends they communicate only through posts, just as we do. I have several circles on Facebook: one of Bored members, most of whom never come here anymore, such as PSM, JBG, KT, Marry Mann, H-Bomb, June Bug, and others whose Bored names I don't recall (I don't want to out their real names). Also, other quizzing players, political allies, my former high school classmates, Mensa friends, and personal friends and family. I communicate with all regularly even though some I have never met, especially the political friends, and some I have not seen in many years. We're still good friends for the most part. There are a few who I don't agree with. The same goes here.
Yes, Bob, everybody has the same complicated social media presence that you do, but I will go back to my original "Weird" feeling about the Bored and leave it at that.

I sometimes get a feeling that used to raise the hair on the back of my neck that we are waiting for something or being prepared for something. I say "used to raise" because I am accustomed to the idea now and I will not be surprised if "Something" happens.

I have no idea what that "Something" might be, but I do know this, if "Something" happens, admittedly a big IF, it will be big enough that most of us here will know it when we see it.

User avatar
tlynn78
Posts: 6976
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Montana

Re: The weirdest thing

#39 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 am

Im_Ace wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:01 pm
This, off the top of my mind:

Went to Vegas (one of my favoritest places in the world to go (pre-Covid).

Met up with a bunch of friends. I mean, A BUNCH of friends. They were friends.... really good friends. But we really hadn't gotten together much. Except for a couple of occasions. To try to get on a game show.

Well, we were having a wonderful time, eating, drinking, gambling, going to see Mystere @ Treasure Island. You know, just letting our hair down and doing what stays in Vegas.

So, we're walking through one of the areas of New York, New York, I think. And we're all having a great time. Laughing, talking, enjoying the moment. Most of the group was ahead of me. So, little shy, timid me decided it would be a great time to moon those behind (pun intended) me.

What was I thinking?

:D :wink:

Been close to 20 years ago.

Damn. I miss those days.
LMAO!! Good times!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine

User avatar
tlynn78
Posts: 6976
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Montana

Re: The weirdest thing

#40 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:10 pm
This is unusual but hardly weird.

I played catcher in a slow-pitch media league for several years, in which the teams had to have two women on the field, and the men tended to try to make all the plays for us (the pitcher would try to come in to take the throws at home plate and like that). A pitcher on another team did that with me as a baserunner on third, and I made him pay. My teammate hit the ball deep, and as soon as the outfielder caught it, I headed for home. Pitcher Dude was blocking the plate without having the ball, so I flattened his ass. He was 6'2" and weighed maybe a buck-fifty soaking wet, so it didn't take much. Spindly jerk. Nothing wrong with being spindly but you don't have to be a jerk.

OK, the weird thing:

I made two unassisted outs at catcher in an inning one day, and realized it was never going to get better, and quit after that game.

The first was a foul tip down the third base line, normal.

The second, though, was odd. The pitch came in and landed on the black, the edge of the plate, and nestled there. I picked it up, and hearing nothing from the ump, tagged the batter with it. Ump yelled, "You're out," because the pitch had been live, and that was that. It was like a balk in baseball, where everyone just leaves, and no one knows why.

PS - And Melly, The Bee is one of the papers I work on every night!
I also played catcher for a co-ed softball team for a bit. DId you go home every night with softball sized-and-shaped bruises all over you? No? Just me? LOL - (I sucked at catcher, but at least I wasn't afraid to stop the ball with my body).
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine

User avatar
tlynn78
Posts: 6976
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Montana

Re: The weirdest thing

#41 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:41 am

christie1111 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:05 pm
I must have been 11-ish or so as we were living in Newport at the time. My Mom had very diverse friends some of which actually were probably famous or rich. It wasn't very important to us.

One husband (Jacques) and wife friends were renting on old house in one of the older sections of Newport, so a really old section as far as the US is concerned.

The owner was coming for a visit so they needed someone to go to the house and dust, vacuum and generally neaten. Cool! Some $ for me!

So I start on the first floor but soon thought that someone was watching me. As I cleaned I closed shades/curtains as I thought it was my younger brother pranking me. I was pretty much done on that level and decided that my brother couldn't look in and bother me if I was on the second floor. House had an open stairwell to the second floor by the front door. As I entered the area and looked up to the top of the stairs, something was there. Can't describe it, not man or woman just a presence.

I went straight out the front door and to my Mom's store. Jacques' studio was two doors down. Went to him and said that I couldn't finish the job. He came with me to see my Mom. He apologized as whatever it was doen't usually bother anyone during the day. His wife couldn't stay there alone at night.

Apparently a man hung himself in that stair well in colonial times due to something with a woman. My Mom knew but had agreed with Jacques that since it was during the day I would be fine. I had never heard anything about it prior to cleaning there and they never discussed it around me.
Goosebumps!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine

User avatar
Ritterskoop
Posts: 5393
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: The weirdest thing

#42 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 am


I also played catcher for a co-ed softball team for a bit. DId you go home every night with softball sized-and-shaped bruises all over you? No? Just me? LOL - (I sucked at catcher, but at least I wasn't afraid to stop the ball with my body).
My quads took two days to return to normal, every week, even though we were allowed to kneel or just bend over, given that it was slow-pitch. Any of that up-and-down for two hours will wear out quads that don't do much the rest of the week. I was kind of glad when a worse female player than me showed up, so they put her at catcher and I got to play a short outfield, moving left to right depending on the handedness of the batter.

I did get to where I could hit a little bit, so at least there was some improvement over the years.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!
Posts: 20281
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: The weirdest thing

#43 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:46 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 am


I also played catcher for a co-ed softball team for a bit. DId you go home every night with softball sized-and-shaped bruises all over you? No? Just me? LOL - (I sucked at catcher, but at least I wasn't afraid to stop the ball with my body).
My quads took two days to return to normal, every week, even though we were allowed to kneel or just bend over, given that it was slow-pitch. Any of that up-and-down for two hours will wear out quads that don't do much the rest of the week. I was kind of glad when a worse female player than me showed up, so they put her at catcher and I got to play a short outfield, moving left to right depending on the handedness of the batter.

I did get to where I could hit a little bit, so at least there was some improvement over the years.
I wouldn't play catcher because I'm terrified of the bat. One of the players on an opposing team threw the bat and hit the ump on the knee. He should have gone to the ER but saw his doc the next day. He was right not to go to the ER, he was fine, just a bruise.

You guys had a way different league than ours. On our team, the best fielder was at short, second best at third, third best at short fielder. We had a short fielder one year who could throw out the batter at first on a short hop. Then she went back to Flagstaff. But I digress. Anyway, on our team the catcher went to right field when displaced.

This isn't weird but it's one of my favorite softball stories. I hit a nice hard grounder, but it went straight to the shortstop. So I was lollygagging (real baseball term, check Bull Durham) to first, knowing I was out halfway there. But the shortstop bobbled the ball, and the lollygagging gave her time to get a handle on it and throw me out. So the next night a get a phone call from Pittsburgh and a chewing out from SteelersFanSr about always legging it out to first no matter where you hit it. I still miss him.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Spock
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: The weirdest thing

#44 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:01 pm

I shared this thread over on Frontier Partisans as they are into Ghosties and Goblins and Presences-especially as the weather turns crisp and the days grow shorter..

So I reckon we might see some extra activity from over yonder.

Post Reply