Compromised debit card

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Compromised debit card

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Some lowlifes managed to hack my debit card for some sketchy online purchases.

Sadly for them, I check my account online often, and was able to freeze the card, and my bank was able to get me a new one in branch today. Major pain was changing all the auto pays and deposits. It will be about 10 days to get the hack investigated and my money back.

I am highly displeased
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob Juch

Re: Compromised debit card

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:27 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 pm
Some lowlifes managed to hack my debit card for some sketchy online purchases.

Sadly for them, I check my account online often, and was able to freeze the card, and my bank was able to get me a new one in branch today. Major pain was changing all the auto pays and deposits. It will be about 10 days to get the hack investigated and my money back.

I am highly displeased
I've had that done many times over the years. Credit cards too. :evil:

My wife just had her wallet stolen so she had to have her debit card and several credit cards replaced. :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:54 am

I don't do auto-pays because I've had card companies decide "I need a new card". Obviously, *they've* been hacked but won't tell you that.

So you have to call 90 different utilities with your new info & hope they get it right.

I've also had cards change their backing-bank without warning.

Same routine.

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:59 am

I don't ever use a debit card for anything, that way my cash is not at risk for hacks.

I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:59 am
I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call.
I believe that very few of these "stolen ID/card number" issues are the result of physically getting hold of someone's cards.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#6 Post by triviawayne » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:00 pm

Estonut wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 pm
triviawayne wrote:
I believe that very few of these "stolen ID/card number" issues are the result of physically getting hold of someone's cards.
Go ahead, put ten cards in your wallet and lose it, I’ll get the popcorn.

With only one in my wallet, I’m only using one card, so any skimming or hacking happens, I know which card is compromised.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 am

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:00 pm
Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

With only one in my wallet, I’m only using one card, so any skimming or hacking happens, I know which card is compromised.
What I meant is that I think most stolen numbers are stolen from database break-ins, rather than collecting numbers card-by-card. If that's true, you're less likely to notice illicit activity on those card numbers you don't use (and may not monitor).
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#8 Post by triviawayne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Estonut wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 am
triviawayne wrote:
Estonut wrote:

What I meant is that I think most stolen numbers are stolen from database break-ins, rather than collecting numbers card-by-card. If that's true, you're less likely to notice illicit activity on those card numbers you don't use (and may not monitor).
and I'll notice as soon as the monthly e-bill comes showing me a balance, as the balance should be zero on a card I don't use.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:50 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm
Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

and I'll notice as soon as the monthly e-bill comes showing me a balance, as the balance should be zero on a card I don't use.
So you agree that, without looking at your statements, you wouldn't "know which card is compromised?" That was my original point.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#10 Post by triviawayne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Estonut wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:50 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Estonut wrote:
So you agree that, without looking at your statements, you wouldn't "know which card is compromised?" That was my original point.
No point to that point considering nobody would know regarding any card they didn’t look.

It also has nothing to do with the reason I only use one card.

Spock

#11 Post by Spock » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 pm

triviawayne wrote:
I don't ever use a debit card for anything, that way my cash is not at risk for hacks.

Serious question. If you only use one card, why do you have several?

I have the same credit card that I have had for almost 30 years and this is my only credit card. I only use this for online purchases and gas and stuff when I am on a trip. I also have a debit card that I have had for maybe 5 years. I rarely use this card-mostly for cash. I still write checks wherever possible. They will have to pry my checkbook away from my cold, dead hands.

Mrs S is on her 2nd credit card (the other one is still active-but never used). We don't have store cards, although she snuck a Kohl's card into the mix. I am pretty adamant about not having store cards. They would just add to the confusion.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:59 am

triviawayne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:51 pm
Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
No point to that point considering nobody would know regarding any card they didn’t look...
Your original statement was, "I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call."

To me, that implied that the only credit card that could be compromised is the one that you carry. I tried to explain that I think most compromised credit card accounts are not due to stolen/lost cards. What, then, did you mean by the statement I just quoted?
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#13 Post by triviawayne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:59 am
triviawayne wrote:
Estonut wrote:
No point to that point considering nobody would know regarding any card they didn’t look...
Your original statement was, "I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call."

To me, that implied that the only credit card that could be compromised is the one that you carry. I tried to explain that I think most compromised credit card accounts are not due to stolen/lost cards. What, then, did you mean by the statement I just quoted?
a card ain't gonna get compromised if it isn't used.

hackers hit places online and in person and steal the information stored at said locations.

triviawayne

#14 Post by triviawayne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 pm
triviawayne wrote:

I have the same credit card that I have had for almost 30 years and this is my only credit card. I only use this for online purchases and gas and stuff when I am on a trip. I also have a debit card that I have had for maybe 5 years. I rarely use this card-mostly for cash. I still write checks wherever possible. They will have to pry my checkbook away from my cold, dead hands.

Mrs S is on her 2nd credit card (the other one is still active-but never used). We don't have store cards, although she snuck a Kohl's card into the mix. I am pretty adamant about not having store cards. They would just add to the confusion.
simple - i'm gaming the FICO system. The more credit available to me, the lower my utilization ratio, which is a big part of the formula. This also allows me to take on all of life's little surprises, and my life tends to have many expensive ones.

Sometimes I get a new card because I'm playing kick the can with debt, and keeping interest rates at a flat 3% of the balance at any given time.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 am
Spock wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 pm
triviawayne wrote:

simple - i'm gaming the FICO system. The more credit available to me, the lower my utilization ratio, which is a big part of the formula. This also allows me to take on all of life's little surprises, and my life tends to have many expensive ones.

Sometimes I get a new card because I'm playing kick the can with debt, and keeping interest rates at a flat 3% of the balance at any given time.
That also helps tremendously to get the lowest rate if you finance a car or get a mortgage.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 am

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 am
Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Data breaches are the most common way for a hacker to get your credit card number.

Read more at: https://www.cardratings.com/my-credit-c ... allet.html
triviawayne wrote:
hackers hit places online and in person and steal the information stored at said locations.
Including banks, which is exactly where they can get details of "unused" cards.
Groucho Marx

Spock

#17 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:27 am

Estonut wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 am
triviawayne wrote:
Estonut wrote:

Data breaches are the most common way for a hacker to get your credit card number.

triviawayne wrote:
I figure that it is just a matter of time until a specific card is hacked through a data breach, That is one big reason that I keep the number of cards as low as possible. Less numbers floating around the ether.

triviawayne

#18 Post by triviawayne » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Estonut wrote:

triviawayne wrote:
you're really grasping at straws here to make whatever moronic point you're trying to make.

Every card has to be issued by a bank, but every card doesn't need to be used at a location where the information will be stored.

You go ahead and look since it was your dumb idea in the first place - how many retailers have been hacked in the last 10 years vs. how many banks.

ETA - and yet what you posted still only strengthens what I originally posted about my only having one call to make if I have a credit card issue as multiple banks issuing cards to me aren't going to be hacked at the same time.

Spock

#19 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:56 pm

FWIW-I use cash at restaurants. Too many friends have had their cards compromised at eating establishments. The cards are flowing through a lot of hands at restaurants.

Li'l Spock, to my chagrin, uses his debit card all over the place-he has been compromised once.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:07 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:56 pm
FWIW-I use cash at restaurants. Too many friends have had their cards compromised at eating establishments. The cards are flowing through a lot of hands at restaurants.

Li'l Spock, to my chagrin, uses his debit card all over the place-he has been compromised once.
The only times I've had a card compromised in the last 15 years was from using it at a restaurant. Once at the Houlighans where my trivia team played, and twice at the same restaurant in downtown Chicago where my friends and I had lunch. In that case, their POS system had been hacked.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#21 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:07 am

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:49 pm
Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

triviawayne wrote:
you're really grasping at straws here to make whatever moronic point you're trying to make.

Every card has to be issued by a bank, but every card doesn't need to be used at a location where the information will be stored.

You go ahead and look since it was your dumb idea in the first place - how many retailers have been hacked in the last 10 years vs. how many banks.

ETA - and yet what you posted still only strengthens what I originally posted about my only having one call to make if I have a credit card issue as multiple banks issuing cards to me aren't going to be hacked at the same time.
You are the one grasping at straws here and changing the argument with each response. I have tried to point out your original misassumption in many ways and I did so without calling it moronic or a dumb idea.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#22 Post by triviawayne » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:35 am

Estonut wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:07 am
triviawayne wrote:
Estonut wrote:

You are the one grasping at straws here and changing the argument with each response. I have tried to point out your original misassumption in many ways and I did so without calling it moronic or a dumb idea.
There is no misassumption on my part in any way, you just don't get it, or don't want to, or refuse to.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#23 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:35 am
Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

There is no misassumption on my part in any way, you just don't get it, or don't want to, or refuse to.
Your original statement, to which I responded, was: "I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call."

That implies that the only cards that get compromised are those that are physically given to merchants. My original feeling, later backed by an expert in the field, was that more cards are compromised by database hacks than by skimming. You then tried to change the argument in many ways, one being that merchants get hacked more often than banks. None of your arguments showed why you think the cards you have, but choose not to carry, are always going to be safe.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#24 Post by triviawayne » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Estonut wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:35 am
Estonut wrote:
Your original statement, to which I responded, was: "I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call."

That implies that the only cards that get compromised are those that are physically given to merchants. My original feeling, later backed by an expert in the field, was that more cards are compromised by database hacks than by skimming. You then tried to change the argument in many ways, one being that merchants get hacked more often than banks. None of your arguments showed why you think the cards you have, but choose not to carry, are always going to be safe.
My original statement implies nothing, only specifically states that if anything happens, I only have one place to call.

Why is this so impossible for you to wrap your head around????

You are the one who went off on the tangent regarding database hacks. When I explained merchants get hacked way more than banks, so the cards I don't use are safer, you were again the one to claim just because it wasn't 100% safe means there is no validity to what I originally stated.

This is going to be my last attempt to explain this thing a child of five could understand...maybe you should fetch one. Either way, I'm done with you on this matter.

If a merchant is hacked, and I know I shopped at that merchant, because I only use one card, that means I only have one phone call to make as I know which card was compromised.

If in the rare case cards are compromised through a bank hack, the bank is already going to deactivate the card and send me a new one. I don't have to make any calls for that situation.

But you go ahead and use multiple cards, so when a place you frequent gets hacked, or if you lose your wallet, you have several calls to make.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#25 Post by Estonut » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:05 am

triviawayne wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:47 pm
My original statement implies nothing, only specifically states that if anything happens, I only have one place to call.
Your original statement was, "I only carry one credit card (although I have several), so if something happens, I only have one place to call." That unequivocally implies that the only card that might get compromised is the one you carry.

triviawayne wrote:
Why is this so impossible for you to wrap your head around????
Cuz it's wrong, so I tried to warn you. I now see what you meant to say, but that doesn't change your original assertion.

triviawayne wrote:
But you go ahead and use multiple cards, so when a place you frequent gets hacked, or if you lose your wallet, you have several calls to make.
You are now inferring something that I neither stated, nor even implied.
Groucho Marx