RIP Redskins

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

RIP Redskins

#1 Post by jarnon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:59 am

Source: Redskins to announce nickname will be changed

That’s a change I thought I’d never see.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

Re: RIP Redskins

#2 Post by jarnon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 am

I was also amazed when Princeton changed the name of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Wilson is beloved at Princeton despite his racism.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:21 am

In other Skins-related news, ex-Eagle, ex-Redskin and current Eagle DeSean Jackson tweeted antisemitic quotes from Farrakhan and Hitler(!). He was fined and made a half-hearted apology. I doubt his bosses, Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman, both Jewish, will let it slide.

I have a Jackson shirt from his original days as an Eagle. Before now I was pleased I kept it. Now I’ll either toss it or scrawl “Chip Kelly was right” on it.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 am

jarnon wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 am
I was also amazed when Princeton changed the name of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Wilson is beloved at Princeton despite his racism.
Wilson practiced law in Atlanta briefly before beginning his political career. There is a non-accredited law school in Atlanta that bears his name. Also, when you enter the Georgia Bar headquarters is downtown Atlanta, right inside the front door is an exhibit that's a replica of his law office. No word on whether either of those will remain.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SpacemanSpiff

#5 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 am

Best suggestion that I have seen for a replacement name for the Washington NFL Club is the Possums.

It makes sense.
Spoiler
They play dead when they are at home, and get killed on the road.
:roll:

(Not original to me, but I think it's funny!)
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Red Wolves and Redtails seem to be early favorites.

Some recent trademark applications:

1 90036691 WASHINGTON MONUMENTS TSDR LIVE
2 90036682 WASHINGTON VETERANS TSDR LIVE
3 90036672 WASHINGTON RENEGADES GRIDIRON FOOTBALL TSDR LIVE
4 90036282 WASHINGTON BRAVES PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM TSDR LIVE
5 90036248 WASHINGTON REDTAILS TSDR LIVE
6 90036108 WASHINGTON FREEDOM FIGHTERS (WFF) TSDR LIVE
7 90036103 WASHINGTON FREEDOM FIGHTERS TSDR LIVE
8 90036057 WASHINGTON WAR HOGS TSDR LIVE
9 90035687 WASHINGTON RADSKINS TSDR LIVE
10 90035600 WASHINGTON RED-TAILED HAWKS TSDR LIVE
11 90035054 WASHINGTON POTOMACS TSDR LIVE
12 90023930 THE WASHINGTON HERALD TSDR LIVE
13 90009366 WASHINGTON AMERICANS TSDR LIVE

Secretly hoping for War Hogs.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SpacemanSpiff

#7 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Vandal wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm

1 90036691 WASHINGTON MONUMENTS TSDR LIVE
That sounds like a throwback to the 1974 World Football League (and if he goes with the Americans, it would be an old WFL name, belonging to the old Birmingham franchise).

The problem with a new nickname might well be that someone has basically filed for a series of trademarks on many of these names, meaning Snyder would have to negotiate a deal with the guy or have to come up with a less-appealing name.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... portfolio/

Hell, just name it after the former town name that the stadium is in and call them the Washington Raljons.

EDIT: I understand that the Washington Generals name is already taken, but that team doesn't have much of a winning record, so that's not a good one.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:34 pm

What about the Washington Generals?

SpacemanSpiff

#9 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:34 pm
What about the Washington Generals?
Considering that the basketball version of the Washington Generals has a record in the range of 3 wins and 17,000 losses, I wouldn't recommend it.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Jerry Jones Changes Team’s Name To Redskins Now That It’s Available

ARLINGTON, TX—Jumping at an opportunity that he has reportedly been waiting on for years, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones announced Tuesday that he would change the team’s name to Redskins now that it is available. “Washington has been squatting on that moniker for so long, but I always secretly felt like it was the perfect name for my team,” said Jones, who revealed he filed the paperwork with the league to change the name within hours of Washington dropping it, and has attempted to trademark the name “Redskins” for the next 50 years. “This name really gets at the heart of what we stand for as a franchise. This is America’s team, and Cowboys is just so generic. But Redskins has punch, it means something, it symbolizes the values of this country, and that is what I want for my team. I’m just pissed we couldn’t get the rights to Chief Wahoo, too.” At press time, Jones had released market research suggesting that merchandise emblazoned with the Redskins logo would sell more than four times better in Texas than Cowboys apparel.

Yes, it's the Onion.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#11 Post by Vandal » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:19 am

Twitter is buzzing with news that something big is coming down about the owner and others in the organization.

Not meant to be cryptic (apologies if it comes across that way): Dan Snyder is going to be in trouble once the story comes out. Big trouble. Possibly no choice but to sell-the-team trouble. The story HAS to drop Thursday. Too much is starting to trickle out. See you tomorrow.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

SpacemanSpiff

#12 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am

Vandal wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:19 am
Twitter is buzzing with news that something big is coming down about the owner and others in the organization.

Not meant to be cryptic (apologies if it comes across that way): Dan Snyder is going to be in trouble once the story comes out. Big trouble. Possibly no choice but to sell-the-team trouble. The story HAS to drop Thursday. Too much is starting to trickle out. See you tomorrow.
I'll believe it when I see it, but I heard one national sports commentator on the way home last night say that the reason that Snyder acquiesced on a name change so quickly was because he was going to announce that he had sold the team. The name that was mentioned was George Soros (wouldn't that irk Mr. Trump!). I interpreted it as basic BS, though IIRC it wasn't one of those voices known for going out on a crazy limb just for ratings.

BTW, the minority owners have been trying to sell off their interests in the team since early this month.

SpacemanSpiff

#13 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 pm

It apparently has to do with the toxic corporate culture there (read: sexism and racism) in the front office.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/290 ... ms-culture

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/16/213 ... in-trouble

Considering that a couple of longtime senior front office folks were canned in the offseason, and their longtime radio voice abruptly retired this week, it seems that something is amiss in Raljon MD.

SpacemanSpiff

#14 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Maybe they need to change their name to the Washington Mashers.

"Fifteen women allege sexual harassment by members of Washington NFL team in bombshell report"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fift ... ll-report/

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 am

What makes you all think that Washington itself will not have to be renamed?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:04 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 am
Because most people realize there's a difference between people who owned slaves and people who committed treason against the U.S. to keep them.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:38 pm

One of the real ironies about the Redskins name is that the image that most people first associate with the Washington Redskins is this man, known as Chief Zee:

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:04 am
Estonut wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 am
Because most people realize there's a difference between people who owned slaves and people who committed treason against the U.S. to keep them.
Unfortunately, it's not "most people" running today's cancel culture. These "few people" have problems with statues of Union soldiers, Abraham Lincoln and abolitionists.
Last edited by Estonut on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Estonut wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:00 pm
Unfortunately, it's not "most people" running today's cancel culture. These "few people" have problems with statues of Union soldiers, Abraham Lincoln and abolitionists.
And once again right wingers take a handful of the farthest out voices and turn them into a powerful "cancel culture" that has the power to remove George Washington from the dollar bill. They are far better at inventing left-wing boogeymen than dealing with real problems like the coronavirus.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:21 am

The team formerly known as Redskins will go by the highly imaginative name of "Washington Football Team" this season, with the players' numbers on the helmet instead of the nifty logo below:

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:55 am

:roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#22 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:05 pm
Estonut wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:00 pm
And once again right wingers take a handful of the farthest out voices and turn them into a powerful "cancel culture" that has the power to remove George Washington from the dollar bill. They are far better at inventing left-wing boogeymen than dealing with real problems like the coronavirus.
The same people who piss and moan about "cancel culture" had no problem with Colin Kaepernick losing his job because he expressed an opinion that they didn't like.

They don't have a problem with "cancel culture." They're just upset that their views have become unpopular so now they're at risk. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#23 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Translation - Snyder doesn't want to pay the trademark squatter diddly squat, and this buys time for him to come up with a decent name that the guy hasn't sat on yet.

Of course, the rumor mill yesterday was he was going to name them the Sentinels (after the team in the movie The Replacements). Go figure.

(BTW, there is a nearby precedent for this. The Baltimore CFL team in the 1990s came up with the name "Baltimore CFL Colts," which Tagiabue squashed in the courts at the last minute; so the team went by the name "Baltimore CFLs" in their first season; the second season the went by the name Stallions.)
Last edited by SpacemanSpiff on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:35 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 pm
Translation - Snyder doesn't want to pay the trademark squatter diddly squat, and this buys time for him to come up with a decent name that the guy hasn't sat on yet.

Of course, the rumor mill yesterday was he was going to name them the Sentinels (after the team in the movie The Replacements). Go figure.
And let's not forget that he stands to do quite well on royalties for all the companies that will be manufacturing "Washington Football Team" merchandise this coming season, to be followed by a whole new slew of royalties next year for the permanent team logo merchandise.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#25 Post by Vandal » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:35 pm
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:29 pm

And let's not forget that he stands to do quite well on royalties for all the companies that will be manufacturing "Washington Football Team" merchandise this coming season, to be followed by a whole new slew of royalties next year for the permanent team logo merchandise.
I’m pretty sure NFL merchandise gets split evenly between all 32 teams, but he’ll still make out well.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man