Indian History Thread on Twitter from Jesse Kelly

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Indian History Thread on Twitter from Jesse Kelly

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:05 pm

https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status ... 6307930114

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

In response to this from the NYT:

>>>"Mount Rushmore was built on land that belonged to the Lakota tribe and sculpted by a man who had strong bonds with the Ku Klux Klan. It features the faces of 2 U.S. presidents who were slaveholders.
https://nyti.ms/2YQJbgs<<<<

Jesse Kelly wrote>>>"FUN FACT: The Lakota were from the Minnesota region. They didn’t move into the Dakotas until the 1700s. When they did move, they pushed out the weaker tribes who were already there.

History is fun. I’m glad I know it. And not just the “acceptable” parts."<<<<

Then
>>>>"I geek out on Indian history and I crack up at the modern white-guilt interpretation that they were all noble gentlemen who lived on peace pipes and buffalo milk.
Some were peaceful. Many weren’t. Some of my favorites like the Comanche....were in the slave trade."<<<<<<

Then>>>"History is fascinating and awesome. I start my radio show every day with a different story.

History is also complicated. In 99% of the cases, there weren’t “good guys” and “bad guys”. And that’s how it’s taught. It’s embarrassing."<<<<

earendel

Re: Indian History Thread on Twitter from Jesse Kelly

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:42 am

I would agree with you that history is made up of both good guys and bad guys, but it seems to me that we can agree that those whose bad outweighs the good shouldn't be immortalized. The Confederate generals whose statues adorn cities in the South and whose names are on military posts do not deserve to be immortalized. After WWII Germany went through a process of de-Nazification to remove all the symbols of the Third Reich. Shouldn't we do the same?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."