HBO Max + Roku + Amazon = Massive Fail

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

HBO Max + Roku + Amazon = Massive Fail

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 am

The new HBO Max debuts today, and people who already have HBO Now (which is pretty much everyone who is computer savvy who has HBO) will get access to it at no additional charge. In addition, people who didn't have HBO before could sign up for HBO Max last month for a special 1-year introductory price of $11.99 a month. So, if you want to watch on a computer or Playstation or Apple TV or smartphone, you're okay.

But, if you watch want to watch HBO Max through a Roku or Amazon device, you're out of luck since AT&T (HBO's parent) hasn't yet reached a deal for an app with Roku or Amazon. You still get the same HBO Now programming as before; you just don't get any new stuff. And if you subscribe to HBO through Hulu or Youtube TV, you also won't be able to get the new stuff if you try to watch Hulu or Youtube on a Roku or Amazon device.

I'm guessing that customer service at HBO, Roku, and Amazon are quite busy this morning.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: HBO Max + Roku + Amazon = Massive Fail

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 am
The new HBO Max debuts today, and people who already have HBO Now (which is pretty much everyone who is computer savvy who has HBO) will get access to it at no additional charge. In addition, people who didn't have HBO before could sign up for HBO Max last month for a special 1-year introductory price of $11.99 a month. So, if you want to watch on a computer or Playstation or Apple TV or smartphone, you're okay.

But, if you watch want to watch HBO Max through a Roku or Amazon device, you're out of luck since AT&T (HBO's parent) hasn't yet reached a deal for an app with Roku or Amazon. You still get the same HBO Now programming as before; you just don't get any new stuff. And if you subscribe to HBO through Hulu or Youtube TV, you also won't be able to get the new stuff if you try to watch Hulu or Youtube on a Roku or Amazon device.

I'm guessing that customer service at HBO, Roku, and Amazon are quite busy this morning.
But it does work on Android TVs and Chromecast.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Wed May 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Right now, HBO needs Roku and Amazon a lot more than Roku and Amazon need HBO. Roku and Amazon control about 70% of the streaming video in this country and most people want to see that content on a TV set, not a smartphone or laptop. People won't quit using their Roku boxes or Firesticks because they can't get HBO Max. However, they have and will cancel HBO if they can't see it on their TVs, And once they cancel, they probably won't be coming back any time soon, not with all the alternatives to HBO that are out there.

From what I've heard, the problem between Amazon and HBO is money. People have been able to subscribe to HBO through Amazon Prime and Amazon splits that $15 a month with HBO. Amazon wants that same money if people subscribe to HBO Max, and for now, HBO is stopping them by not making HBO Max available. The issue might be the same with Roku since people can subscribe to HBO through the Roku Channel, but Roku doesn't promote that nearly as heavily as Amazon does.

Ironically, I have both Roku and an Amazon Fire Stick (and a bedroom FireTv and a Kindle), and I can't watch HBO Max on any of them right now.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Fri May 29, 2020 3:04 am

jarnon wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:11 pm
SSS, are you sure you and Stephen Silver aren’t the same person?

Wondering why you can't get HBO Max on your Roku? I wrote about it last week for The National Interest
Clearly not. This guy was able to write 8 paragraphs without mentioning politics.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx