Finished Apocalypse Now

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Finished Apocalypse Now

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:03 pm

over the weekend. I thought the build-up was terrific, but the climax and denouement were disappointing.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

wintergreen48

Re: Finished Apocalypse Now

#2 Post by wintergreen48 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:07 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:over the weekend. I thought the build-up was terrific, but the climax and denouement were disappointing.
I saw it exactly the same way. My impression was that there was a lot of energy and inspiration at the start, but they just got tired, and by the end, they were going through the motions. Well, most of them were going through the motions, Brando just kind of lay there, sucking the life out of anything that came within range.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 12, 2008 1:32 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:over the weekend. I thought the build-up was terrific, but the climax and denouement were disappointing.
I saw it exactly the same way. My impression was that there was a lot of energy and inspiration at the start, but they just got tired, and by the end, they were going through the motions. Well, most of them were going through the motions, Brando just kind of lay there, sucking the life out of anything that came within range.
If you'll watch Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, you'll see that's exactly what happened.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:
If you'll watch Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, you'll see that's exactly what happened.
Didn't they film several endings or at least one alternate?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Cal, I really wish you would stop listening to those John Hagee sermons. There are enough crazy people in Texas as it is.

Oh, you were talking about the 1970s war movie.

<EmilyLitella> Never mind! </EL>

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 12, 2008 2:28 pm

I was also underwhelmed. I like good war movies but this was about something else. I never did figure out what. Maybe Evil.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

TheCalvinator24

#7 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Cal, I really wish you would stop listening to those John Hagee sermons. There are enough crazy people in Texas as it is.

Oh, you were talking about the 1970s war movie.

<EmilyLitella> Never mind! </EL>
If you strapped me to a chair and played a Hagee sermon, I would burst my own eardrums just by the sheer force of my will.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 12, 2008 2:51 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote: I saw it exactly the same way. My impression was that there was a lot of energy and inspiration at the start, but they just got tired, and by the end, they were going through the motions. Well, most of them were going through the motions, Brando just kind of lay there, sucking the life out of anything that came within range.
Didn't they film several endings or at least one alternate?
Only in the bootlegged workprint. The "Redux" version has many changes, but not to the ending.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.