I am not ready for this

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

I am not ready for this

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon May 12, 2008 11:09 am

As I had reported several months ago, Lady G would be picking up stakes and moving closer to her family in Iowa (you mean, moving to Iowa on purpose?). Well, today, we have someone come through and really liked our house. I figured there would be likely be a six-week window for us to plan, finish packing and move. Well, these people may want to move in by the end of the month. I am not ready! I am still not sure even if I want to use the POD method or hire a moving company. And, I have not investigated a place to stay in Iowa while we are busy looking for a house there. Now, I am usually cool, calm and collected about this type of stuff but three weeks is just not enough time! Of course, I don't even know if the offer they may be submitting would be acceptable. So much to think about and do in so little time.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

Jeemie

#2 Post by Jeemie » Mon May 12, 2008 11:58 am

If you're not ready to move out in three weeks, counter with another offer or don't accept the offer.

You have to do what's best for you- and you have to be willing to let a potential buyer walk if it's not in your best interests.

Yes I know- even in this buyer's market (is it a buyer's market where you live?)
1979 City of Champions 2009

Sir_Galahad

#3 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon May 12, 2008 12:41 pm

Jeemie wrote:If you're not ready to move out in three weeks, counter with another offer or don't accept the offer.

You have to do what's best for you- and you have to be willing to let a potential buyer walk if it's not in your best interests.

Yes I know- even in this buyer's market (is it a buyer's market where you live?)
Well, another problem I have is that Lady G is chomping at the bit to get going and is almost willing to take a loss on the house in order to make that happen.

I don't think it is as much a buyer's market here as it is in other parts of the country. I know several popular cities such as Vegas, San Diego, Dallas and a few others were hit very hard by the housing market slump but that is not the case here. I had told Lady G when we started this that it would probably be at least six months before the house would get sold due to that fact that this is not what I call a "destination city."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

5LD

#4 Post by 5LD » Mon May 12, 2008 1:12 pm

FWIW -- I was on the board of a 40 unit building in NYC for three years and watched many homes go on the market. I knew the real estate people who listed them. Often the story was the early activity on your home is the best. Then once you've been listed a few weeks the activity slows.

I watched several couples turn down first offers that came in early hoping for more money and then their home languished on the market for months and they then accepted an offer thousands of dollars below the offer they turned down previously.

This may not apply to the market you're living in, of course. I don't know if that trend is specific to Manhattan but I do know it's bad to become a "stale" home.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:16 pm

What is that saying "Be careful what you wish for"?

How great that you got interest so soon.

How great that you have the "This is too quick" problem, rather than the "Will this house ever sell" problem.

You can and will make a life wherever you live.

even Iowa