Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#376 Post by jarnon » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:53 pm

A group of Pac-12 players released this statement: #WeAreUnited.

Colleges shouldn't even think of withholding scholarships from athletes who decide to study from home and refuse to play because of the pandemic. There will be hell to pay.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#377 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:58 pm

More football scheduling:

The Big 12, which only has 12 teams, announced that it will play a 10 game schedule with one non-conference game. The Sun Belt Conference, which is an FBS conference, announced that it will play a 12-game schedule with four non-conference games and eight conference games. The biggest beneficiary of this may be Appalachian State, which is in North Carolina with four ACC schools. The ACC will allow its teams to play one non-conference game, which must be in state. Other Sun Belt teams include Coastal Carolina (in South Carolina with Clemson) and Georgia Southern and Georgia State, either of which could play Georgia Tech.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#378 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am

The University of Connecticut, which was to compete as an FBS independent this year after leaving the AAC, has canceled its football season, the first FBS school to do so. Scheduling woes may have been the reason. Four UConn games were already canceled against teams that had already announced plans to play in-conference only, and two more were against ACC schools that probably would officially cancel anyway.

SpacemanSpiff

#379 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:37 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am
The University of Connecticut, which was to compete as an FBS independent this year after leaving the AAC, has canceled its football season, the first FBS school to do so. Scheduling woes may have been the reason. Four UConn games were already canceled against teams that had already announced plans to play in-conference only, and two more were against ACC schools that probably would officially cancel anyway.
More like definitely officially cancel; since the ACC's "+1" game is required to be an in-state team, and there are no ACC teams in Connecticut, so an ACC game wouldn't have been permitted. Perhaps BC might have been given special dispensation because of the close proximity of the New England states.

And, on that line, who is BC going to pick up as a plus one game? I only see four other Di schools in Massachusetts - U Mass-Amherst (independent), Holy Cross (Patriot), Merrimack College (Northeast), and Harvard (Ivy), The Patriot and Ivy Leagues and Northeast Conference are not playing in the fall, so that just leaves U-Mass, unless they fall in the same plight as UConn (who was on their schedule as well).

EDIT: Just for grins, I was drilling into UMass's issues for the season. They lost a game vs. Albany, who isn't playing football this year, now Connecticut, and Auburn. The last one is a major problem for the Minutemen because the payoff for them to come to Auburn in mid-November was to be $1.9 million, which I am sure is a big piece of their athletic budget.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#380 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:08 am

The NCAA has canceled fall championships in all sports, including football, for Division II and III schools (many of them had already canceled their fall sports programs already).

silverscreenselect

#381 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:34 am

The ACC has released its schedule for 2020. They have relaxed the rule about only playing non-conference games against in-state teams. The biggest surprise here is that Notre Dame will not play longtime rival Navy (which badly needs the game to fill out its schedule) but will instead host Western Michigan. That may be because Notre Dame was scheduled to play the game at Navy (it was originally scheduled in Ireland) and wanted to keep a home game instead. There will still be a number of Thursday and Friday night television games. The season will begin the weekend of September 12 and end December 5, with the championship game the next week. Other games:

Boston College - Ohio
Clemson TBA September 19
Duke - Charlotte
FSU - Samford
GT - Central Florida
Louisville - Western Ky.
Miami - UAB
North Carolina TBA September 19
NC State - Liberty
Pitt - Miami (O)
Syracuse - Liberty
Virginia - VMI
VPI - Liberty
Wake Forest - Old Dominion

The ACC schools will be the host schools for all these games. Of course, these schedules are subject to change should any other conference cancel or limit its season.

earendel

#382 Post by earendel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 am

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:34 am

Louisville - Western Ky.
I'm surprised at this - I know that both WKU and UK were on the original schedule, but I figured the Governor's Cup would be the one non-conference game.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SpacemanSpiff

#383 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:34 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:31 am

Louisville - Western Ky.
I'm surprised at this - I know that both WKU and UK were on the original schedule, but I figured the Governor's Cup would be the one non-conference game.
They didn't have a choice; once the SEC went conference-only, the Cards-Wildcats game went off the table.

silverscreenselect

#384 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Mrs. SSS and I went to get tested yesterday, and our tests came back negative. Fulton County has several temporary testing centers in various locations from week to week and they had one at a local church yesterday. It was drive-through, no appointments needed, and the workers (all seemed to be in their 20s) were wearing hazmat-type outfits and face shields. They gave us the kit (a ziploc bag with nose swab and test tube with solution in it) and then we twirled the swab around in our nose for five seconds in each nostril. They picked the bags up with a grabber clamp. The lines weren't too long, and the entire process from arrival to departure took about 30 minutes. When we left, they said it could take 4-5 business days (which would make the tests fairly useless for tracking purposes), but it actually took just about 24 hours to get the results back.

earendel

#385 Post by earendel » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:15 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:34 am
earendel wrote:

Louisville - Western Ky.
They didn't have a choice; once the SEC went conference-only, the Cards-Wildcats game went off the table.
The last I heard the SEC was going to allow one non-conference game as long as it was against an in-state opponent. Apparently I'm behind.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SpacemanSpiff

#386 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:09 pm

earendel wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:15 pm
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:34 am
earendel wrote:

The last I heard the SEC was going to allow one non-conference game as long as it was against an in-state opponent. Apparently I'm behind.
Easy to do, with each conference going their own way. It was the ACC that announced that format (partially to preserve the four ACC-SEC in-state rivalries). The day afterwards, the SEC gave that concept a big "up yours" to the ACC's plans and did the 10-game conference only format.

silverscreenselect

#387 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:27 am

The Big Sky and Pioneer (which earlier said it would play a conference-only schedule) Conferences have now canceled fall sports, including football. The Big Sky says it will play a conference schedule in the spring (its members include Idaho, Idaho State, and Weber State). With these two FCS cancellations, it means that over half the FCS schools will not be playing football this fall and, according to NCAA rules, means that the playoffs and FCS championship cannot occur.

silverscreenselect

#388 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:01 am

The Missouri Valley Conference, another FCS conference, has also called off fall sports, including football and announced that it plans to play a schedule in the spring. National power North Dakota State plays football in the MVC.

An FBS school, Colorado State, which plays in the Mountain West Conference, is suspending its football activities indefinitely following widespread allegations of racism and verbal abuse of players. Earlier, after a number of players had tested positive for coronavirus, there were allegations that players were being coerced not to be tested and to avoid reporting positive tests results.

SpacemanSpiff

#389 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:18 am

Now the MAC has cancelled all fall sports, including football. This is the first FBS conference to fold the tent this fall.

It also blows up two of the ACC's recently announced nonconference games, meaning Notre Dame and Pitt need to find new game opponents. North Carolina and Clemson still have opponents TBD.

Bob Juch

#390 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:23 pm

Nine people test positive for the coronavirus at Georgia school where photos of packed hallways went viral

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... rc=nl_most
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#391 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:23 pm
Nine people test positive for the coronavirus at Georgia school where photos of packed hallways went viral

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... rc=nl_most
This is the school where the young woman who took and posted the photo was suspended for doing so, before the suspension was rescinded. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#392 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 am

Now, in what is starting to be death by a thousand cuts, Old Dominion University of Conference USA has cancelled all fall sports.

This blows another hole in the ACC's plus-one model, since ODU was supposed to play Wake Forest. This means that a third of the teams in the ACC are looking for a dancing partner for their non-conference game.

Bob Juch

#393 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:58 am

I got the results back from the virus tests I had Friday afternoon: Both the antibody and the infection tests were negative.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SpacemanSpiff

#394 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:36 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:58 am
I got the results back from the virus tests I had Friday afternoon: Both the antibody and the infection tests were negative.
Glad to hear that!

silverscreenselect

#395 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am

Bob Juch wrote:
That is good news.

I will say this, for whatever the reason, Arizona has cut its case rate down tremendously in the last two weeks, from over 3000 new cases a day to just 600 reported today.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#396 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 am

Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am
Bob Juch wrote:
That is good news.

I will say this, for whatever the reason, Arizona has cut its case rate down tremendously in the last two weeks, from over 3000 new cases a day to just 600 reported today.
I worry about the accuracy of reported case rates. (Not just in Arizona. California is clearly underreporting cases and is still working on a fix.) My preferred metric is hospitalizations. What do those look like in Arizona? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#397 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 pm

And now it looks like the big dominoes are about to fall.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-big-ten ... 52413.html
According to Dan Patrick, the Big Ten had an internal meeting on Sunday resulting in a 12-2 vote to not play a college football season this fall. Nebraska and Iowa were the two programs to vote in favor of a season, and Patrick reported that both the Big Ten and Pac-12 will cancel their seasons on Tuesday.
It will be interesting to see if the other three major conferences keep on going or not. I'm a bit surprises it isn't the PAC-12 jumping first, since half of their conference is in COVID hotspots (California and Arizona). But, since these two conferences always march in lockstep, where one goes the other will follow soon thereafter.

EDIT: The SEC Presidents and Chancellors are holding a previously-unscheduled phone meeting today regarding the subject. No voting is expected.

silverscreenselect

#398 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 pm
And, not surprisingly, Donald Trump has weighed in on the side of playing the season.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#399 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 pm
And, not surprisingly, Donald Trump has weighed in on the side of playing the season.
Perhaps this comment is out of place in a thread labeled "non-political." It certainly invites political comment. I very nearly posted one before catching myself. --Bob

SpacemanSpiff

#400 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:18 pm

According to multiple reports, the Mountain West conference is about to throw in the towel on fall sports, including football.