Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#626 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:35 pm

North Carolina A&T, the top seed in the MEAC Tournament, withdrew from the conference tourney today after positive COVID tests. A&T is located in Greensboro, NC, about 50 miles from Durham, home of Duke University. A&T had been scheduled to make its tourney debut in the semifinal tomorrow against Norfolk State. Instead, Norfolk State will advance to Saturday's final.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#627 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 am

Virginia is now out of the ACC tournament due to a positive COVID test. The top-seeded Cavaliers had been scheduled to play Georgia Tech today in the semifinals. As a result, Tech moves on to tomorrow's final. As far as the NCAA tournament is concerned, the team might still be able to play if the non-infected players continue to test negative in the interim. Tech will play the winner of tonight's North Carolina-FSU game. If FSU wins, the final would match two teams that played only one game apiece to get there (FSU advanced Thursday when Duke canceled its game with them).

Tech's last regular season game was against Wake Forest in Winston-Salem last Friday night, and the team headed directly to Greensboro, site of the ACC tournament, after that game. The team has been isolated (they won't even get in elevators if anyone else is in the elevator) and will head to Indianapolis directly after tomorrow's final so that they can limit any outside exposure.

silverscreenselect

#628 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 pm

According to reports, the player who tested positive for Virginia played in yesterday's win over Syracuse. Virginia is continuing testing and contact tracing to see if they will be allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament. Syracuse was on the bubble to make the NCAA field, and I assume that they are undergoing testing as well. As of now, the remaining semifinal game tonight between North Carolina and Florida State will proceed as scheduled.

silverscreenselect

#629 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Add Kansas to the list of teams dropping out of conference tournaments due to positive COVID tests. The Jayhawks were to play Texas in the Big 12 semi-final today. Instead, Texas moves on to the final to meet the winner of Baylor and Oklahoma State. No word yet on Kansas's ability to participate in the NCAA tournament, where they were a sure thing to get a bid.

Bob Juch

#630 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:54 pm

This is an entirely different March madness.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#631 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:30 pm

The coronavirus seems to have hit Georgia Tech at a bad time. Earlier this week, Tech announced that a member of its traveling squad had tested positive and was being isolated at the NCAA tournament in Indianapolis. Now, sources report that Tech's star center Moses Wright, the ACC's MVP this season, will miss the opening game against Loyola of Chicago Friday. If Tech wins, Wright would probably miss the second round game, in all likelihood against top-seed Illinois. No one is confirming that Wright is the player who tested positive (due to HIPAA concerns), but it's not too hard to figure. Needless to say, this really hurts Tech's chances of advancing. And if anyone else tests positive, Tech may be the first team out of the tournament.

What's ironic is that Coach Josh Pastner took steps to isolate the team in North Carolina and now in Indianapolis since Tech's last regular season game. Tech's team was told not even to get on a hotel elevator if anyone else was on it. So it's really a blow to have something like this turn up.

silverscreenselect

#632 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:11 pm

Louisville has become the latest team to decline an NIT bid and end its season. They were among the "last four out" of the NCAA and a standby in case one of the teams in the field had to drop out, but that didn't happen by the deadline. From now on, any team that has to drop out will not be replaced and its scheduled next-game opponent will automatically move on. Other notable teams that have opted out of the NIT include Seton Hall, St. John's, Xavier, and Duke. The NIT will have 16 teams (including its own "last four out") and all games will be played in Frisco and Denton, TX, beginning Friday.

SpacemanSpiff

#633 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Maybe this year, NIT stands for the "Not Infected Tournament."
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#634 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:50 am

The home-field advantage will be very real at this year's Olympics. After a meeting with Japanese government officials, the International Olympic Committee agreed that visitors from other countries will be barred from attending the games. That decision is quite popular in Japan, where tight lockdowns and travel restrictions have minimized deaths and illnesses (fewer than 9,000 deaths in a population of over 125 million). As many as 80% of the Japanese public oppose holding the Games this summer and similar numbers oppose foreign spectators. The same ban will apply to the Paralympic Games as well. The organizers say that those who bought tickets already will get refunds, but many of those tickets were purchased through third-party brokers who tacked on hefty fees. It's unclear whether those will ever be refunded.

silverscreenselect

#635 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:46 pm

The NCAA Tournament game between Oregon and Virginia Commonwealth was canceled today when multiple VCU players tested positive. Seventh seeded Oregon will advance to the next round where they will play second seeded Iowa.

earendel

#636 Post by earendel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:22 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:50 am
The home-field advantage will be very real at this year's Olympics. After a meeting with Japanese government officials, the International Olympic Committee agreed that visitors from other countries will be barred from attending the games. That decision is quite popular in Japan, where tight lockdowns and travel restrictions have minimized deaths and illnesses (fewer than 9,000 deaths in a population of over 125 million). As many as 80% of the Japanese public oppose holding the Games this summer and similar numbers oppose foreign spectators. The same ban will apply to the Paralympic Games as well. The organizers say that those who bought tickets already will get refunds, but many of those tickets were purchased through third-party brokers who tacked on hefty fees. It's unclear whether those will ever be refunded.
Not only that but those who do get to be spectators won't be allowed to cheer or drink alcohol.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Vandal
Director of Promos

#637 Post by Vandal » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:50 pm

Krispy Kreme will give you a free doughnut every day this year — if you've been vaccinated

In case you needed another reason to get your COVID-19 vaccination, Krispy Kreme is sweetening the deal — it's giving free doughnuts to anyone with proof of vaccination, all year long.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/krispy-kre ... tion-card/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#638 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Vandal wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:50 pm
Krispy Kreme will give you a free doughnut every day this year — if you've been vaccinated

In case you needed another reason to get your COVID-19 vaccination, Krispy Kreme is sweetening the deal — it's giving free doughnuts to anyone with proof of vaccination, all year long.

What a great idea!

Per the CDC
Obesity* is a recognized risk factor for severe COVID-19 (1,2), possibly related to chronic inflammation that disrupts immune and thrombogenic responses to pathogens (3) as well as to impaired lung function from excess weight (4). Obesity is a common metabolic disease, affecting 42.4% of U.S. adults (5), and is a risk factor for other chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers.† The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices considers obesity to be a high-risk medical condition for COVID-19 vaccine prioritization (6). Using data from the Premier Healthcare Database Special COVID-19 Release (PHD-SR),§ CDC assessed the association between body mass index (BMI) and risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes (i.e., hospitalization, intensive care unit [ICU] or stepdown unit admission, invasive mechanical ventilation, and death). Among 148,494 adults who received a COVID-19 diagnosis during an emergency department (ED) or inpatient visit at 238 U.S. hospitals during March–December 2020, 28.3% had overweight and 50.8% had obesity. Overweight and obesity were risk factors for invasive mechanical ventilation, and obesity was a risk factor for hospitalization and death, particularly among adults aged <65 years. Risks for hospitalization, ICU admission, and death were lowest among patients with BMIs of 24.2 kg/m2, 25.9 kg/m2, and 23.7 kg/m2, respectively, and then increased sharply with higher BMIs. Risk for invasive mechanical ventilation increased over the full range of BMIs, from 15 kg/m2 to 60 kg/m2. As clinicians develop care plans for COVID-19 patients, they should consider the risk for severe outcomes in patients with higher BMIs, especially for those with severe obesity. These findings highlight the clinical and public health implications of higher BMIs, including the need for intensive COVID-19 illness management as obesity severity increases, promotion of COVID-19 prevention strategies including continued vaccine prioritization (6) and masking, and policies to ensure community access to nutrition and physical activities that promote and support a healthy BMI.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#639 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Vandal wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:50 pm

Do they give you free insulin too?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#640 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:27 pm

PHOENIX (KVOA) - Bars and large events have been cleared to resume operations after Gov. Doug Ducey lifted all of the state's COVID-19 mitigation measures through a new executive order made Thursday morning.

Back in May, Ducey enacted his "Stay Healthy, Return Smarter, Return Stronger" that slowly allowed businesses to reopen that were previously restricted under the initial state's Stay-At-Home Order.

A few weeks after the governor began lifting COVID-19 mitigation measures such as not requiring an occupancy limit at businesses, Ducey took the next step in those efforts Thursday after the state reportedly saw 10 weeks of declining COVID-19 cases.

Under this new executive order, Ducey will phase out all mask mandates implemented by local governments, including the ones put in place by both the City of Tucson and Pima County in June.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#641 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:27 pm
PHOENIX (KVOA) - Bars and large events have been cleared to resume operations after Gov. Doug Ducey lifted all of the state's COVID-19 mitigation measures through a new executive order made Thursday morning.

Back in May, Ducey enacted his "Stay Healthy, Return Smarter, Return Stronger" that slowly allowed businesses to reopen that were previously restricted under the initial state's Stay-At-Home Order.

A few weeks after the governor began lifting COVID-19 mitigation measures such as not requiring an occupancy limit at businesses, Ducey took the next step in those efforts Thursday after the state reportedly saw 10 weeks of declining COVID-19 cases.

Under this new executive order, Ducey will phase out all mask mandates implemented by local governments, including the ones put in place by both the City of Tucson and Pima County in June.

That doesn't prevent you from wearing a mask or not visiting group events.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#642 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:27 pm

That doesn't prevent you from wearing a mask or not visiting group events.
Tucson Mayor Regina Romero issued a statement Thursday afternoon following Gov. Doug Ducey's announcement lifting all of Arizona's COVID-19 mitigation measures.

Under the new executive order, Ducey will phase out all mask mandates implemented by local governments, including the ones put in place by both the City of Tucson and Pima County in June.

Here is Romero's statement:

“Governor Ducey’s actions are pre-mature and will jeopardize Arizona lives unnecessarily. The vast majority of Arizonans are not fully vaccinated and the threat of more contagious, lethal variants remains. It is unfortunate that Governor Ducey is caving to political pressure from the far-right and hopping on the band-wagon of reckless actions of other Governors instead of following the science and doing what’s best for Arizonans.

“Removing local mask requirements is not linked to spurring our economy, as the Governor suggests. On the contrary, his actions could exacerbate community transmission, prolonging the pandemic and delaying a full and permanent re-opening of our economy.

“Our City Attorney has advised me that we have clear local authority to continue implementing our city mask mandate. As Mayor, I have no intention of removing our local mask wearing requirement. Last summer, I announced that we would proceed with implementing a local mask mandate before the Governor untied our hands precisely because we know we have the legal authority. Here in Tucson, we will continue to follow the science and advice of our public health experts.”

silverscreenselect

#643 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:40 am

New season; same COVID issues.

The Washington Nationals home opener today against the New York Mets was postponed due to COVID issues after a player tested positive and they would otherwise be down five players and a staff member for the game. The game will be rescheduled for tomorrow, which had been an off-day for the two teams.

silverscreenselect

#644 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:40 am
New season; same COVID issues.

The Washington Nationals home opener today against the New York Mets was postponed due to COVID issues after a player tested positive and they would otherwise be down five players and a staff member for the game. The game will be rescheduled for tomorrow, which had been an off-day for the two teams.
The entire three-game series between the Nationals and Mets has now been postponed. Three Nationals players have tested positive and a fourth is inconclusive. No word yet on make-up dates, but the Mets are scheduled to make two more trips into DC this season. The Nationals' next series is against the Braves and scheduled to begin in Washington Monday. No word yet on that status.

Bob Juch

#645 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:58 pm

You Got Your Shot(s). But How Long Will COVID-19 Vaccine Immunity Last?

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... ation.html

Bob Juch

#646 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Children now playing 'huge role' in spread of COVID-19 variant, expert says

https://abc7ny.com/health/kids-now-play ... /10486843/

silverscreenselect

#647 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:48 am

After four COVID-related postponements, the Washington Nationals will finally open their season today against the Atlanta Braves. However, nine players who were on the opening day roster have been placed on the injured list and will be out for a minimum of ten days (presumably from the beginning of the season). The Nats have called up seven players from their minor league team and signed a free-agent catcher who will start today (both Nats catchers are on the injured list). To make matters worse, the Nats and Braves will play a doubleheader tomorrow to make up Monday's postponed game. Due to the rules instituted last year, both games of the doubleheader will be seven innings.

silverscreenselect

#648 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:39 am

The Arizona Diamondbacks swept a doubleheader from the Atlanta Braves yesterday, 5-0 and 7-0. That's not news, although it's fairly unusual for a team to get shut out in back-to-back doubleheader games. What is newsworthy is that the Braves managed one hit in the first game off Zac Gallen (a sixth inning single by Freddie Freeman) and then were no-hit by Madison Baumgarner in the second game. However, because of COVID-related rules, both games were seven innings long, meaning that the no-hitter will not be officially be recognized by MLB as such under the current scoring rules. A game must be at least nine innings to qualify as a no-hitter and must end without any hits being allowed in the entire game (so extra-inning games in which teams later get hits do not count).

Although it's not an official record, the doubleheader will probably be a trivia item for years to come. The one hit in a doubleheader is a record, although I'm not sure whether it will be recognized as such by MLB either. Gallen and Baumgarner are credited with complete game shutouts, making this the first time since 1977 that a team has had two CG shutouts in a doubleheader.

silverscreenselect

#649 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Golfer Jon Rahm had to withdraw from the Memorial Golf Tournament after the completion of the third round following confirmation of a positive COVID test. He had been in close contact with someone else who tested positive but was allowed to compete in the tournament if he got tested every day and was not allowed to use the clubhouse or locker room with other golfers. Rahm was leading the tournament by six shots when he got the test results and would have been heavily favored to win it. The PGA claims that just over 50% of its Tour members are fully vaccinated, but declined to say whether Rahm had been vaccinated. He is only the fourth golfer to test positive during a tournament since play resumed last fall.

In an interesting sidelight, Caesars Sports Book in Las Vegas announced that it would treat all bets on Rahm in the tournament as winners. Normally, if a golfer withdraws from any tournament after his opening tee-off time for any reason, bets on that golfer are considered losers.

silverscreenselect

#650 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:42 am

The pandemic is not over. The NC State baseball team has dropped out of the College World Series because they would be unable to field a team due to COVID protocols. Their scheduled game with Vanderbilt Saturday was declared No Contest, and Vanderbilt advanced to the finals against Texas or Mississippi State. NC State played and lost to Vanderbilt 3-1 on Friday and had been scheduled for a second game today to determine who would advance to the final. State only had 13 players available for the Friday game (nine position players and four pitchers) and 12 of them played in the Friday game.