Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#651 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:26 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:42 am
The pandemic is not over. The NC State baseball team has dropped out of the College World Series because they would be unable to field a team due to COVID protocols. Their scheduled game with Vanderbilt Saturday was declared No Contest, and Vanderbilt advanced to the finals against Texas or Mississippi State. NC State played and lost to Vanderbilt 3-1 on Friday and had been scheduled for a second game today to determine who would advance to the final. State only had 13 players available for the Friday game (nine position players and four pitchers) and 12 of them played in the Friday game.
I may be wrong here, but the reports I've read said that NC State was not given a choice in the matter of the final game. They opted to play the Friday game (with only 9 position players and four pitchers), but were then told by the NCAA people and the local health department that they would not be allowed to play the elimination game against Vanderbilt. Elliott Avent, NC State's coach, deflected questions about whether he personally was vaccinated and whether he encouraged his players to get vaccinated.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Vandal
Director of Promos

#652 Post by Vandal » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees game postponed after 3 Yankees test positive for COVID-19

NEW YORK -- The Yankees' post-All-Star break opener against the Boston Red Sox on Thursday night was postponed because of positive COVID-19 tests among New York pitchers Jonathan Loaisiga, Nestor Cortes Jr. and Wandy Peralta.

Aaron Judge, Kyle Higashioka and Gio Urshela are also in COVID-19 protocols, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney.

Yankees general manager Brian Chasman said tests for three other players were pending, but he did not name them. He said he assumes the tests will come back positive.

Because Judge was at the All-Star Game with other players, this has triggered contact tracing questions for other teams.

Loaisiga went on the COVID-19 injured list Saturday, when the Yankees were in Houston, and he did not travel home with the team Sunday.

Cashman said all three were fully vaccinated, as are most of the players on the team.

While vaccinations do not prevent a person from contracting COVID-19, it prevents severe effects.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/318 ... e-covid-19
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#653 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:45 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:38 pm
Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees game postponed after 3 Yankees test positive for COVID-19

NEW YORK -- The Yankees' post-All-Star break opener against the Boston Red Sox on Thursday night was postponed because of positive COVID-19 tests among New York pitchers Jonathan Loaisiga, Nestor Cortes Jr. and Wandy Peralta.
Considering the way the Yankees have been playing, especially against the Red Sox, this has to qualify as good news.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#654 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:09 am

It's now six Yankees.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#655 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 am

Guinea has become the first country to pull its team from the Olympic games. The country had planned to send five athletes in various sports. The official reason for the withdrawal was concern about COVID-19, but some reports say the country just couldn't afford the cost of sending a team. North Korea earlier announced that it would not participate in the Games. So far, at least 18 individual athletes, including five Americans, have withdrawn following positive COVID tests. The opening ceremony is scheduled for tomorrow night, although it's still unclear as to what it will include or who will participate, since there will be no spectators. Competition has already begun in various team sports, although no medals have been awarded yet.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#656 Post by Vandal » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:33 pm

From Twitter (Tom Pellisero):

The NFL just informed clubs that if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week season in 2021 due to a COVID outbreak among unvaccinated players, the team with the outbreak will FORFEIT and be credited with a loss for playoff seeding, per sources. Massive implications.

Here’s more from today’s memo, which also says the team responsible for a canceled game because of an outbreak among unvaccinated players/staff will be responsible for financial losses and subject to potential discipline from the commissioner.

The league intends to play its entire 272-game schedule over 18 weeks (17 games per club). And this is key: "We do not anticipate adding a '19th week' to accommodate games that cannot be rescheduled within the current 18 weeks of the regular season." Play on time or don't play.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#657 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:13 pm

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 am
Guinea has become the first country to pull its team from the Olympic games. The country had planned to send five athletes in various sports. The official reason for the withdrawal was concern about COVID-19, but some reports say the country just couldn't afford the cost of sending a team. North Korea earlier announced that it would not participate in the Games. So far, at least 18 individual athletes, including five Americans, have withdrawn following positive COVID tests. The opening ceremony is scheduled for tomorrow night, although it's still unclear as to what it will include or who will participate, since there will be no spectators. Competition has already begun in various team sports, although no medals have been awarded yet.
Guinea has now reversed its decision and will send its team of five athletes to the Games.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#658 Post by Vandal » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:45 pm

After refusing to get a vaccine for COVID-19, Rick Dennison is out as a Vikings assistant coach. The vaccine is required for all Tier 1 staff, including coaches, front-office executives, equipment managers and scouts.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#659 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:27 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:33 pm
Here’s more from today’s memo, which also says the team responsible for a canceled game because of an outbreak among unvaccinated players/staff will be responsible for financial losses and subject to potential discipline from the commissioner.
Another note on the NFL edict. If a game is not played, no player on either team gets paid for the game, so in essence they lose 1/17 of their annual salary. And of course performance bonuses will be more difficult to earn as well.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#660 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:22 pm

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:27 pm
Vandal wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:33 pm
Another note on the NFL edict. If a game is not played, no player on either team gets paid for the game, so in essence they lose 1/17 of their annual salary. And of course performance bonuses will be more difficult to earn as well.
It's not obvious to me that the NFL can just impose that pay cut on players (particularly faultless players) without negotiating with NFLPA. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#661 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Today, I went to the neighborhood Burger King to pick up lunch for Mrs. SSS and myself (yes, I had coupons). They had a new sign that said all customers had to wear masks until seated. If customers didn't want to do so, they were welcome to use the drive-through. Our live-in daughter went to a Publix today that had a sign requiring masks for all customers. I also received a notice that all Fulton County offices (the largest county in the state by population) now require masks for visitors and employees regardless of vaccination status.

Bob Juch

#662 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Pima County, Arizona, requires masks for all students even though Governor Doody has ordered that can't be done. Stay tuned for further rounds.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#663 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:07 pm

Bob Juch

#664 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Vandal
Director of Promos

#665 Post by Vandal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob Juch

#666 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:23 pm

silverscreenselect

#667 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:37 am

The ACC announced yesterday that any games that are canceled because a team doesn't have enough players to field a team, will count as a forfeit and loss by that team in the league standings. The other team will be awarded a win. If both teams don't have enough players available, both will be assessed a loss. This rule will not apply if games are canceled for other reasons, such as a community-wide health emergency. Last year, several scheduled games were never played because of COVID postponements and cancellations.

The Big 12 and Pac 12 instituted similar policies recently.

Bob Juch

#668 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:11 am

While UArizona has mask mandates for students, the Athletic Director says masks will not be required for fans in the football stadium. :roll:

Bob Juch

#669 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:27 am

Rates of Covid-19 hospitalizations for children and adults under 50 reach their highest levels yet, CDC data shows

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/health/u ... index.html

Bob Juch

#670 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:24 pm

DeSantis told Tucker Carlson that Covid precautions are "the most significant threat to freedom since the fall of the Berlin Wall." Huh? Is he a Communist? How did the FALL of the wall threaten freedom?

silverscreenselect

#671 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 am

Oregon and Oregon State have announced that fans will not be allowed to attend their football games this year without proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test. Tulane and the New Orleans Saints have instituted similar policies in response to a mandate from the city of New Orleans. The University of Hawaii is going a step further. There will be no fans in the stands for its opening game against Portland State September 5. (Hawaii is the opponent at Oregon State's first home game on September 11).

silverscreenselect

#672 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:37 am
The ACC announced yesterday that any games that are canceled because a team doesn't have enough players to field a team, will count as a forfeit and loss by that team in the league standings. The other team will be awarded a win. If both teams don't have enough players available, both will be assessed a loss. This rule will not apply if games are canceled for other reasons, such as a community-wide health emergency. Last year, several scheduled games were never played because of COVID postponements and cancellations.

The Big 10 has now instituted a similar policy. Their policy would not apply to non-conference games, so if a Big 10 team can't play, the game would be canceled and declared "no contest" like last year's canceled games.

mrkelley23

#673 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:09 pm
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:37 am

The Big 10 has now instituted a similar policy. Their policy would not apply to non-conference games, so if a Big 10 team can't play, the game would be canceled and declared "no contest" like last year's canceled games.
Or unless the game involves Ohio State, in which case the game would be cancelled and Ohio State declared the winner, even if they were the ones with Covid.

(Yes, the Hoosiers are still bitter.)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#674 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:18 am

Vandal
Director of Promos

#675 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:43 pm

From the KISS Twitter account:

Tonight's #KISS show at The Pavilion at Star Lake in Burgettstown, PA is unfortunately postponed due to Paul Stanley testing positive for COVID. More information about show dates will be made available ASAP.  Everyone on the entire tour, both band and crew, are fully vaccinated.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man