Incompetence may have spread the virus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Incompetence may have spread the virus

#76 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:44 am

The White House ordered that a number of early meetings discussing the response to COVID 19 be classified. Restricting the flow of information is precisely the opposite of what needs to be done. So of course that's what Donny's federal government is doing. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:56 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:58 am
people like you who feel the need to share it with people like me who couldn't give a shit.
Ignorance is bliss; willful ignorance is blisser.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#78 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 am

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:10 pm
Ok you echo chamber bubble drones. (You know who you are).

We all know the MSM never overhypes things.

Here's the CDC statistics for the common, everyday flu in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Lets give it a month or two.
If the corona virus in the US is significantly higher with REAL statistics and not hype in the next few months, I will agree with you that you are right about all this chicken little stuff. And for your prize, if I live through it, I won't vote for trump.
If it fizzles out, and the media finds another thing to hype and drool over, then you admit to me that the MSM is NOT to be trusted. No if, ands, buts or whataboutisms. I'm not going to ask that you vote for trump, because even if you say you will, I know you won't. But finally, for God's sake, admit you're wrong about something. All of you. That'll be enough.
The NBA has suspended its season, the NCAA will play March Madness without spectators, and other major events are being cancelled left and right. We've now barred all travel from Europe (except for the UK, which has hundreds of cases). It hasn't yet been two weeks, much less a month. Still think we were playing Chicken Little? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#79 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 am
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:10 pm
Ok you echo chamber bubble drones. (You know who you are).

We all know the MSM never overhypes things.

Here's the CDC statistics for the common, everyday flu in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Lets give it a month or two.
If the corona virus in the US is significantly higher with REAL statistics and not hype in the next few months, I will agree with you that you are right about all this chicken little stuff. And for your prize, if I live through it, I won't vote for trump.
If it fizzles out, and the media finds another thing to hype and drool over, then you admit to me that the MSM is NOT to be trusted. No if, ands, buts or whataboutisms. I'm not going to ask that you vote for trump, because even if you say you will, I know you won't. But finally, for God's sake, admit you're wrong about something. All of you. That'll be enough.
The NBA has suspended its season, the NCAA will play March Madness without spectators, and other major events are being cancelled left and right. We've now barred all travel from Europe (except for the UK, which has hundreds of cases). It hasn't yet been two weeks, much less a month. Still think we were playing Chicken Little? --Bob
No, I think the threat is real. This is one instance where we have no choice but to trust our federal government that they will do all they can to limit the spread. I hope we can all get on the same page and stop the political sniping for at least a while.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Vandal
Director of Promos

#80 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:19 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#81 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am

Joe Biden has put together a Public Health Advisory Committee with a pretty distinguished group of members to provide advice to the public during the crisis. He's also going to deliver a talk this afternoon on the subject.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... oronavirus

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#82 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am
Joe Biden has put together a Public Health Advisory Committee with a pretty distinguished group of members to provide advice to the public during the crisis. He's also going to deliver a talk this afternoon on the subject.

I can't wait to hear Joe's talk. I predict that -- at least once -- he will confuse the flu virus with:
A. The Measles
B. Leprosy
C. The Thing

Or, he may just call the virus by its numbered names, Corona AR-14 and AR-15, and vow to outlaw both. Sometime tomorrow, he will deny that he ever said such a thing, you lying, dog-faced pony soldiers.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#83 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 am
silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 am

I can't wait to hear Joe's talk. I predict that -- at least once -- he will confuse the flu virus with:
A. The Measles
B. Leprosy
C. The Thing

Or, he may just call the virus by its numbered names, Corona AR-14 and AR-15, and vow to outlaw both. Sometime tomorrow, he will deny that he ever said such a thing, you lying, dog-faced pony soldiers.
😂😂😂
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#84 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

I am so certain that Biden’s gaffes will propel him to victory that I have written him a draft acceptance speech, based on actual Bidenisms, for the Democratic convention in Milwaukee:

Hello, Memphis! Ladies, gentlemen and other genders — there are at least three! all you horse's asses — I say: This is a big f---ing deal! I see poor kids in the arena and I see white kids. I see Grandpa Finnegan, God rest his soul!

I would not be here in Manchester accepting your nomination for the US senate without the support of articulate, clean black people. Otherwise they might have re-elected the other Biden. And you disabled veterans — stand up! I have known you intimately. And so I say: I would rather be making love to my wife! You are a dull audience.

Fellow Democrats, there is a 30 percent chance everything I do will be wrong. But don't worry. Remember: I don't work for you, you lying, dog-faced pony soldiers Bernie, Elizabeth, Kamala and the others would have been better picks to be re-elected than me. But I am here because of a three-letter word: TRUTH. We choose truth over facts! If elected, I promise: We will have an international crisis. I knew that the day I was arrested trying to visit Nelson Mandela. Let me be clear: If we stay the course, I think we can win back the House in November. I am not going nuts! So go to my website number and help me. Vote for Joe America! Good night, Montgomery!
This is a while ago, I have added some newer, even better ones, in bold.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#85 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:11 pm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 am
No, I think the threat is real. This is one instance where we have no choice but to trust our federal government that they will do all they can to limit the spread. I hope we can all get on the same page and stop the political sniping for at least a while.
This is the same federal government that thought the best response to Puerto Rico was paper towels. The same federal government led by a Vice President who, as Governor of Indiana, utterly botched the response to AIDS. The same federal government led by a congenital liar who has demonstrated, time and time again, that he his completely unable to put aside his own personal interests in favor of the national interest. The same Donny who interfered with his own government's efforts to address the crisis.

That's not going to happen. There are trustworthy sources I will rely on for information about the pandemic you were so recently minimizing. But Donny's Administration is not one of them. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#86 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm
I am so certain that Biden’s gaffes will propel him to victory that I have written him a draft acceptance speech, based on actual Bidenisms, for the Democratic convention in Milwaukee:

Hello, Memphis! Ladies, gentlemen and other genders — there are at least three! all you horse's asses — I say: This is a big f---ing deal! I see poor kids in the arena and I see white kids. I see Grandpa Finnegan, God rest his soul!

I would not be here in Manchester accepting your nomination for the US senate without the support of articulate, clean black people. Otherwise they might have re-elected the other Biden. And you disabled veterans — stand up! I have known you intimately. And so I say: I would rather be making love to my wife! You are a dull audience.

Fellow Democrats, there is a 30 percent chance everything I do will be wrong. But don't worry. Remember: I don't work for you, you lying, dog-faced pony soldiers Bernie, Elizabeth, Kamala and the others would have been better picks to be re-elected than me. But I am here because of a three-letter word: TRUTH. We choose truth over facts! If elected, I promise: We will have an international crisis. I knew that the day I was arrested trying to visit Nelson Mandela. Let me be clear: If we stay the course, I think we can win back the House in November. I am not going nuts! So go to my website number and help me. Vote for Joe America! Good night, Montgomery!
This is a while ago, I have added some newer, even better ones, in bold.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Estonut
Evil Genius

#87 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:11 pm
That's not going to happen. There are trustworthy sources I will rely on for information about the pandemic you were so recently minimizing. But Donny's Administration is not one of them.
Trustworthy sources such as the NBA and the NCAA?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#88 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Estonut wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
That's not going to happen. There are trustworthy sources I will rely on for information about the pandemic you were so recently minimizing. But Donny's Administration is not one of them.
Trustworthy sources such as the NBA and the NCAA?
I'd say the people on Joe Biden's task force are far more trustworthy than Trump, Fox News, and Jared Kushner.

flockofseagulls104

#89 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
This is the same federal government that thought the best response to Puerto Rico was paper towels. The same federal government led by a Vice President who, as Governor of Indiana, utterly botched the response to AIDS. The same federal government led by a congenital liar who has demonstrated, time and time again, that he his completely unable to put aside his own personal interests in favor of the national interest. The same Donny who interfered with his own government's efforts to address the crisis.

That's not going to happen. There are trustworthy sources I will rely on for information about the pandemic you were so recently minimizing. But Donny's Administration is not one of them. --Bob
You know what, bobby, et al? I agree that this is a crisis, whether the corona virus is a killer like the spanish flu or not, it is doing damage to our economy, which hurts everybody. They are cancelling a lot of events, which hurts people's incomes down the line. I can agree this has to be done. It is also hurting many other things. Can you and your comrades also kindly cancel your whining and complaining about trump for the duration? It does not do one thing to help anyone. Trump is our President, whether you like it or not. You can support him and hope he does the right things, or you can continue to mock and criticize any and everything he does. I fail to see how the latter will do anybody any good. You can get back on the TDS regimen after the all clear is sounded.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#90 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

You know what, bobby, et al? I agree that this is a crisis, whether the corona virus is a killer like the spanish flu or not, it is doing damage to our economy, which hurts everybody. They are cancelling a lot of events, which hurts people's incomes down the line. I can agree this has to be done. It is also hurting many other things. Can you and your comrades also kindly cancel your whining and complaining about trump for the duration? It does not do one thing to help anyone. Trump is our President, whether you like it or not. You can support him and hope he does the right things, or you can continue to mock and criticize any and everything he does. I fail to see how the latter will do anybody any good. You can get back on the TDS regimen after the all clear is sounded.
I (and millions like me) can call him out every time he fucks up the response, in the hope that public pressure compels him to change course.

So no, there is no way in hell I'm just going to hope that Donny does the right thing for once. The last three years has proven beyond peradventure that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I will continue to watch him like a hawk, as best I can, and I will continue to provide vocal support to those who encourage the public and private industry to do the things that actually will make a difference in this crisis. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#91 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:54 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

I (and millions like me) can call him out every time he fucks up the response, in the hope that public pressure compels him to change course.

So no, there is no way in hell I'm just going to hope that Donny does the right thing for once. The last three years has proven beyond peradventure that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I will continue to watch him like a hawk, as best I can, and I will continue to provide vocal support to those who encourage the public and private industry to do the things that actually will make a difference in this crisis. --Bob
Well, it's all about politics, after all. How about just on the bored? Give the rest of us a break and let us see what it feels like.

silverscreenselect

#92 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:00 pm
How about just on the bored? Give the rest of us a break and let us see what it feels like.
I enjoy hearing what Bob has to say.

And I notice that you weren't too busy to bash Joe Biden today.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#93 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Well, it's all about politics, after all. How about just on the bored? Give the rest of us a break and let us see what it feels like.
Given that it's people like you who helped get us into this mess by installing and then defending and excusing officeholders who have, to the surprise of no one who's been paying attention, proven utterly incompetent to handle an actual crisis, I'm really not inclined to spare your feelings.

I'll be waiting for you to follow through on your commitment upthread to not vote for Donny in November. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#94 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

Given that it's people like you who helped get us into this mess by installing and then defending and excusing officeholders who have, to the surprise of no one who's been paying attention, proven utterly incompetent to handle an actual crisis, I'm really not inclined to spare your feelings.

I'll be waiting for you to follow through on your commitment upthread to not vote for Donny in November. --Bob
bobby, to you this is a political game. A crisis not to be wasted. Knock yourself out. Throw all your self righteous outrage and your batphone talking points at it. I'm sure you have all the answers if we would all just listen to you. I, for one, am done listening to you. You've shown who you are.

Bob Juch

#95 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Moved here by request.

Bob Harris (Prisoner of Trebekistan) posted this on Facebook:

I've cancelled a fairly important business trip to the US and will ride the next few months out in Australia. Why?

I fear—and strongly advise, explanation below—that COVID-19 may soon hit the US harder than anyone imagines. Possibly harder than any developed nation on earth.

I want to be wrong about this, and I hesitate to preach to, alienate, or stress anyone, but I care about many of my friends here very much, so here's my thinking, if you're interested. And to remind you, I *did* see Trump coming when too many of you thought I was nuts, and I wrote here five weeks ago that the stock market was acting just like it does just before big crashes, given any decent-sized trigger. So at least maybe consider:

More than in any other developed country, large slices of the US populace (a) have no choice but to work even when sick, *guaranteeing* massive community transmission; (b) are either uninsured or cannot afford doctors, so the number of cases will *always* be underreported; (c) distrust the government, often to the point of arming themselves, so are less likely to believe official advice or expert opinion; and (d) lack such basic health and science education that they don't even vaccinate their own children, so are more likely to remain in denial of danger even after the evidence is clear, which is good for the virus, bad for humanity.

Among developed nations, the US also singularly has a culture so suspicious of the common good that its *mainstream* maps basic national health care—common across the industrialised world—as a naive pipe dream, so respect for isolation orders and other common-good measures will always be below average; and a government terrifyingly disconnected from any need for truth, now responding daily to the crisis with gross fictions, more concerned with how to spin and exploit the situation than save its own citizens, with a fully-briefed president nonetheless actively creating community transmission opportunities for his own benefit.

In short, COVID-19 would see the US the way children see a giant bouncy-ball playpen. Ooh! Fun! Whee!

Is there any encouragement to take from countries that have had some success containing the virus? Not so much. Taiwan kept a lid on things by going rapid-response with border screening the instant the new virus emerged, testing every passenger arriving from Wuhan before the virus had even left China. The US, in contrast, botched its initial response, with samples sitting untested in a Seattle hospital for a week, a government in denial throughout the key early phase, and the per capita number of tests for the virus still an *order of magnitude* lower than in other developed countries. There may be only fewer than 2000 cases known in the US because that figure is within a single-digit factor of the total number of tests given so far *total.*

For these reasons and more, it is entirely possible—and some experts consider it likely—that there may already be at least *10x* as many COVID-19 cases in the US as officially reported.

Consider: if there really *are* just 1312 cases out of 327 million Americans, so there's one person with coronavirus per 250,000 people, how is it that so many of them are famous (Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Rudy Gobert) or well-connected (CPAC attendees)? That's not statistically likely; the numbers are off by at least 1-2 orders of magnitude.

More likely, the US is on the edge of a rapid escalation. Even the low official figure has quadrupled in the last few *days.* If the official number is low, given the rest of what we do know... well, shit. Italy had only a handful of cases three weeks ago; now the entire country is in an unprecedented health crisis.

If the genie really is already out of the bottle in the US, what then?

China has only been able to semi-contain the virus, after the first epidemic made denial impossible, with police state tactics far beyond any American experience. Italy is now attempting a total lockdown. These measures would be unsustainable in the US beyond a local level (for reasons given above) without a dislocating suspension of the current political system. Complicating an assertive response: it's an election year, so officials have been and will remain hesitant in these crucial weeks to do much more than offer denials terrifyingly similar to China's response in the early days of Wuhan:

"Preliminary investigations have shown no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission" — Wuhan Municipal Health Commission, January 5, 2020

"Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus... this is their new hoax." — Donald Trump, February 28, 2020

Less than two weeks later, the "hoax" was cause for a prime-time address calling for a suspension of all European travel to the US! Consider, then, the probable competence behind the scenes in the key early weeks of a lethal and spreading pandemic.

With little to slow the virus and much to encourage its early spread, the US caseload may soon spike beyond the hospital beds available. (Bonus: the US also has fewer hospital beds per capita than most other developed countries.) This, in turn, could make all other health care vastly more complicated. During the peak, people may die not just from COVID-19, but from a lack of care for other issues that otherwise would have been treated.

The most vulnerable, as we've all heard, are the elderly, yup. But let's also spare a thought for the nation's homeless population, and those who aren't officially homeless but live on the margins, working two shit jobs while living in their cars etc. hoping to climb their way out. There's a fair chance that this virus will tear through places like Skid Row in L.A. like an Aussie bushfire.

Meanwhile, economically, demand and supply shocks loom simultaneously. Huge, targeted New Deal-like government spending stimuli are already under emergency discussion in many developed countries. (Here in Australia, even the business-oriented, fossil-fuel-financed ruling Coalition is announcing what's locally known as a "cash splash" to a remarkably broad cross-section of society—literal mass handouts that worked so well after the Global Financial Crisis that Australia never even had a recession back then.) However, due to size, ideology, and competence issues in leadership and media, the US is unlikely to effect similar measures. The US may struggle to recover more than other developed countries.

Negative political consequences are also likely. Crises rarely strengthen democracy. Frightened people often turn to the hard right. Remember the permanent rollback of civil liberties in the wake of 9/11? Consider a 9/11 growing slowly through every major city over a period of months. Maybe the system would simply absorb the shock, fear, and anger, should the US death toll reach the thousands (if not worse.) But after watching 9/11 lead to Gitmo, the PATRIOT Act, elective wars, the routinisation of drone strikes and global surveillance, etc? I don't see how.

Trump's prime-time speech tonight was little more than a public confession of incapacity to act in anything but self-interest while increasing public risk—a concoction of self-serving falsehoods (it's all Europe's fault! I did everything humanly possible! I got insurance companies to make coronavirus copays disappear! etc) and nonsense that will only cause harm (young people can continue on normally, no worries! never mind that you'll carry the virus to others! Banning travel from Europe, but not Canada, Japan, and South Korea is remotely sane! etc). The border wall with Mexico seems almost lucid by comparison. I sincerely cannot think of a less competent, more dangerous performance by a US leader since the very beginning of broadcasting.

In short, the virus may hit the US medically, economically, and politically, more than I'm seeing most mainstream discussion anticipate so far. I find few actual facts to convince otherwise.

Maybe we'll get lucky. Gilead Sciences is testing an existing anti-viral, originally meant for ebola, that may have potential as a treatment. Or maybe an Andromeda Strain-style twist, where the virus mutates to something less infectious just before the credits, will be our deus ex machina. Yeah. Maybe.

To my sincere regret, I have little advice beyond common sense, as if any such thing exists. But at least:

Whatever precautions you've considered, please begin immediately and with urgency.

Prevention: start minimising potential exposures NOW. Avoid large groups. Cancel trips. Wash your hands in your fucking sleep. Inform, protect, and supply any elderly people in your circle.

Prudence: any meds you truly need regularly, get some extra refills if you can. Many are made overseas. Good to have that shit lined up.

Prep for home care if your whole household is young and healthy, since you'll probably ride out any infection: don't panic-buy, but check to be sure you have at least 2-3 weeks' worth of aspirin, acetaminophen, and/or ibuprofen, plus cough meds like Robitussin and Mucinex on hand.

Prep if you or a loved one have immune or lung issues: the above, plus talk now with your GP or specialist so you have a plan of action if symptoms do develop.

Participate: advocate and organise right NOW in any way you can think of (I don't pretend expertise) against partisan use of the crisis to disrupt the 2020 elections. From the same team that got rid of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and yanked polling places out of minority districts all over the country, that shit is stone likely.

And connect: contact loved ones overseas and near home and make sure you and they have emotional support. People gonna cry. We need each other. Be ready to need and be needed.

Beyond that, I dunno, just hang the fuck on.

I pray we'll soon be laughing over beer at how wildly alarmist I was. I truly do. I want to be wrong the way I want to see the sky tomorrow. If so, I'll buy the first round.

If not, godspeed.

Love from Down Under, Bob.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#96 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:51 am

Donny's delay in declaring a state of emergency, when he didn't hesitate at all to declare one in order to divert defense appropriations to his wall, has been preventing states from effectively using Medicaid dollars to mitigate the crisis. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#97 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 am

I, through the power vested in me, have just appointed our own bobby, (not the juch one) as President of These United States effective immediately.
What are you gonna do, bobby? What steps are you going to take? How are you going to solve this problem? Whatcha going to do that will make a difference? Give us hope here.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#98 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 am
I, through the power vested in me, have just appointed our own bobby, (not the juch one) as President of These United States effective immediately.
What are you gonna do, bobby? What steps are you going to take? How are you going to solve this problem? Whatcha going to do that will make a difference? Give us hope here.
Adopt the Biden plan:
Vice President Biden wrote:The full details are on JoeBiden.com laying out the immediate steps we must take to deliver: A decisive public health response to curb the spread of this disease and provide treatment to those in need; and a decisive economic response that delivers real relief to American workers, families, and small businesses -- and protects the economy as a whole.

Click here to read the plan on my website >>

I offer it as a roadmap, not for what I will do as president 10 months from now, but for the leadership I believe is required right now, at this moment. President Trump is welcome to adopt it today.

The core principle is simple: public health professionals must be the ones making our public health decisions and communicating with the American people.

It would be a step toward reclaiming public trust and confidence in the United States government.

And toward stopping the fear and chaos that can overtake communities faster than this pandemic.

And it’s critical to mounting an effective national response that will save lives, protect our front-line health workers, and slow the spread of this virus.

First, anyone who needs to be tested based on medical guidelines should be tested -- at no charge.

The Administration’s failure on testing is colossal. It is a failure of planning, leadership, and execution.

The White House should measure and report each day how many tests were ordered, how many tests have been completed, and how many have tested positive.

By next week, the number of tests should be in the millions, not the thousands.

We should make sure every person in a nursing home, a senior center, or a vulnerable population has easy access to a test.

We should establish hundreds of mobile testing sites – at least 10 per state – and drive-thru testing centers to speed testing and protect health care workers.

The CDC, private labs, universities, and manufacturers should be working in lock-step to get this done, and get it done right.

No effort should be spared. No excuses should be made.

Tests should be available to all who need them and the government should stop at nothing to make that happen.

We must know the true extent of this outbreak so we can map it, trace it, and contain it.

Nor should we hide the true number of infections in hopes of protecting political interests or the stock market.

The markets will respond to strong, steady, capable leadership that addresses the root of the problem, not efforts to cover it up.

Second, we need to surge our capability to both prevent and treat the coronavirus, and prepare our hospitals to deal with an influx of those needing care.

This means not just getting out the testing kits and processing them quickly, but making sure communities have the hospital beds, the staff, the medical supplies, and the personal protective equipment necessary to treat patients.

The president should order FEMA to prepare the capacity with local authorities to establish temporary hospitals with hundreds of beds on short notice.

The Department of Defense should prepare for the potential deployment of its resources to provide medical facility capacity and logistical support.

A week from now, a month from now, we could need an instant, 500-bed hospital to isolate and treat patients in any city in the country.

We can do that -- but we aren’t ready yet, and the clock is ticking.

As we take these steps, state, federal, and local authorities need to ensure that there is accurate, up-to-date information easily available to every American so everyone can make an informed decision about when to get tested, when to self-quarantine, and when to seek medical treatment.

And the federal government should provide states and municipalities with clear guidance about when to trigger more aggressive mitigation policies, such as closing schools.

Third, we need to accelerate the development of treatments and a vaccine.

Science takes time. It will still be many months before we have a vaccine that can be proven safe for public use and produced in sufficient quantity to make a difference.

Therapeutics can and should come sooner. That will save lives.

We passed the Cures Act in 2016 to accelerate work at the National Institutes of Health, but now it must have every available resource to speed the process along.

We must fast-track clinical trials within the NIH, while closely coordinating with the Food and Drug Administration on trial approvals, so that the science is not hindered by the bureaucracy.

And, when we do have a vaccine ready to go, it should also be made widely available, free of charge.

We should also immediately restore the White House National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense -- with a full-time, dedicated coordinator to oversee the response.

Our Administration created that office to better respond to future global health threats after the Ebola crisis in 2014.

It was designed for exactly this scenario.

President Trump eliminated the office two years ago.

Here’s the bottom line -- we have to do what is necessary to beat this challenge sooner rather than later.

I assure you, if we wait for it to worsen then scramble to catch up, the human and economic toll will be far greater and last far longer.

Congress gave the Administration $8 billion last week to fight the virus.

We need to know exactly where that money is going -- how quickly it is going out the door, and how it is being spent.

This brings me to the second half of this challenge -- the economic dislocation the coronavirus will cause in our country.

We must do whatever it takes, spend whatever it takes, to deliver relief for our families and ensure the stability of our economy.

Taking immediate, bold measures to help Americans who are hurting economically right now.

It means we will need bigger and broader measures to shore up economic demand, protect jobs, keep credit flowing to our job creators, and make sure we have the economic firepower we need to weather this storm and get our people and this economy back to full strength as soon as possible.

This crisis will hit everyone, but it will hit folks who live paycheck-to-paycheck the hardest, including working people and seniors.

Another tax cut to Google or Goldman or millionaires won’t get the job done.

Indiscriminate corporate tax subsidies won’t effectively target those who really need help.

We need to place our focus on those who will struggle just to get by.

People are already losing jobs -- we need to replace their wages. That includes workers in the gig economy who lack unemployment insurance.

Parents who are already struggling with childcare costs -- we need to give them relief.

Children who rely on school lunches will need food. And schools will need help ensuring children who do not have easy access to computers can still learn if their schools close.

People who have difficulty paying their rent or mortgage because they’ve been laid off or had their hours cut back -- we need to help them stay in their homes.

Small businesses that will be devastated as customers stay home and events are canceled -- we need to make sure they have access to INTEREST-FREE loans.

It is a national disgrace that millions of our fellow citizens do not have a single day of paid sick leave.

We need -- both -- a permanent plan for paid sick leave and an emergency plan for everyone who needs it due to the outbreak.

Beyond these national measures, my plan also calls for the creation of a State and Local Emergency Fund to make sure governors, mayors, and local leaders who are battling coronavirus on the ground have the resources necessary to meet this crisis head-on.

These funds could be used at the discretion of local leaders for whatever they most need: expanding critical health infrastructure, hiring additional health care and emergency service personnel, or cushioning the wider economic blow this virus will cause our communities.

We need smart, bold, and compassionate leadership that will help contain the crisis, reduce hardship to our people, and help our economy rebound.

But let me be clear: this is just a start.

We must prepare now to take further decisive action, including direct relief, that will be large in scale and focused on the broader health and stability of our economy.

But we can only protect the health of our economy if we do everything in our power to protect the health of our people.

The last point I want to make today is this -- we will never fully solve this problem if we are unwilling to look beyond our own borders and engage fully with the world.

A disease that starts any place on the planet can be on a plane to any city on earth a few hours later. So we have to confront coronavirus everywhere.

We should be leading a coordinated, global response, just as we did for Ebola, that draws on the incredible capability of the U.S. Agency for International Development and our State Department to assist vulnerable nations in detecting and treating coronavirus wherever it is spreading.

We should be investing in rebuilding and strengthening the Global Health Security Agenda, which we launched during our Administration, specifically to mobilize the world against the threat of new infectious diseases.

It can be hard to see the concrete value of this work when everything seems well with the world.

But by cutting our investments in global health, this Administration has left us woefully ill-prepared for the exact crisis we now face.

No President can promise to prevent future outbreaks.

But I can promise you that when I’m president, we will prepare better, respond better, and recover better. We will lead with science.

We will listen to experts and heed their advice.

We will rebuild American leadership and rally the world to meet global threats.

And I will always, always tell you the truth. That is the responsibility of a president. That is what is owed to the American people. Now, and in the difficult days that still lie ahead, I know that this country will summon our spirit of empathy, decency, and unity.

Because, in times of crisis, Americans stand as one.

Volunteers raise their hands to help. Neighbors look out for neighbors. Businesses take care of their workers.

So we will meet this challenge -- together.
In related news, Senate Republicans have blocked passage of an emergency sick leave bill. So people who may have the virus are still being forced to choose between their own paychecks and the health of their coworkers and anyone else they may come into contact with. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#99 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:53 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 am
Adopt the Biden plan:
Vice President Biden wrote:The full details are on JoeBiden.com laying out the immediate steps we must take to deliver: A decisive public health response to curb the spread of this disease and provide treatment to those in need; and a decisive economic response that delivers real relief to American workers, families, and small businesses -- and protects the economy as a whole.

Click here to read the plan on my website >>

I offer it as a roadmap, not for what I will do as president 10 months from now, but for the leadership I believe is required right now, at this moment. President Trump is welcome to adopt it today.

The core principle is simple: public health professionals must be the ones making our public health decisions and communicating with the American people.

It would be a step toward reclaiming public trust and confidence in the United States government.

And toward stopping the fear and chaos that can overtake communities faster than this pandemic.

And it’s critical to mounting an effective national response that will save lives, protect our front-line health workers, and slow the spread of this virus.

First, anyone who needs to be tested based on medical guidelines should be tested -- at no charge.

The Administration’s failure on testing is colossal. It is a failure of planning, leadership, and execution.

The White House should measure and report each day how many tests were ordered, how many tests have been completed, and how many have tested positive.

By next week, the number of tests should be in the millions, not the thousands.

We should make sure every person in a nursing home, a senior center, or a vulnerable population has easy access to a test.

We should establish hundreds of mobile testing sites – at least 10 per state – and drive-thru testing centers to speed testing and protect health care workers.

The CDC, private labs, universities, and manufacturers should be working in lock-step to get this done, and get it done right.

No effort should be spared. No excuses should be made.

Tests should be available to all who need them and the government should stop at nothing to make that happen.

We must know the true extent of this outbreak so we can map it, trace it, and contain it.

Nor should we hide the true number of infections in hopes of protecting political interests or the stock market.

The markets will respond to strong, steady, capable leadership that addresses the root of the problem, not efforts to cover it up.

Second, we need to surge our capability to both prevent and treat the coronavirus, and prepare our hospitals to deal with an influx of those needing care.

This means not just getting out the testing kits and processing them quickly, but making sure communities have the hospital beds, the staff, the medical supplies, and the personal protective equipment necessary to treat patients.

The president should order FEMA to prepare the capacity with local authorities to establish temporary hospitals with hundreds of beds on short notice.

The Department of Defense should prepare for the potential deployment of its resources to provide medical facility capacity and logistical support.

A week from now, a month from now, we could need an instant, 500-bed hospital to isolate and treat patients in any city in the country.

We can do that -- but we aren’t ready yet, and the clock is ticking.

As we take these steps, state, federal, and local authorities need to ensure that there is accurate, up-to-date information easily available to every American so everyone can make an informed decision about when to get tested, when to self-quarantine, and when to seek medical treatment.

And the federal government should provide states and municipalities with clear guidance about when to trigger more aggressive mitigation policies, such as closing schools.

Third, we need to accelerate the development of treatments and a vaccine.

Science takes time. It will still be many months before we have a vaccine that can be proven safe for public use and produced in sufficient quantity to make a difference.

Therapeutics can and should come sooner. That will save lives.

We passed the Cures Act in 2016 to accelerate work at the National Institutes of Health, but now it must have every available resource to speed the process along.

We must fast-track clinical trials within the NIH, while closely coordinating with the Food and Drug Administration on trial approvals, so that the science is not hindered by the bureaucracy.

And, when we do have a vaccine ready to go, it should also be made widely available, free of charge.

We should also immediately restore the White House National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense -- with a full-time, dedicated coordinator to oversee the response.

Our Administration created that office to better respond to future global health threats after the Ebola crisis in 2014.

It was designed for exactly this scenario.

President Trump eliminated the office two years ago.

Here’s the bottom line -- we have to do what is necessary to beat this challenge sooner rather than later.

I assure you, if we wait for it to worsen then scramble to catch up, the human and economic toll will be far greater and last far longer.

Congress gave the Administration $8 billion last week to fight the virus.

We need to know exactly where that money is going -- how quickly it is going out the door, and how it is being spent.

This brings me to the second half of this challenge -- the economic dislocation the coronavirus will cause in our country.

We must do whatever it takes, spend whatever it takes, to deliver relief for our families and ensure the stability of our economy.

Taking immediate, bold measures to help Americans who are hurting economically right now.

It means we will need bigger and broader measures to shore up economic demand, protect jobs, keep credit flowing to our job creators, and make sure we have the economic firepower we need to weather this storm and get our people and this economy back to full strength as soon as possible.

This crisis will hit everyone, but it will hit folks who live paycheck-to-paycheck the hardest, including working people and seniors.

Another tax cut to Google or Goldman or millionaires won’t get the job done.

Indiscriminate corporate tax subsidies won’t effectively target those who really need help.

We need to place our focus on those who will struggle just to get by.

People are already losing jobs -- we need to replace their wages. That includes workers in the gig economy who lack unemployment insurance.

Parents who are already struggling with childcare costs -- we need to give them relief.

Children who rely on school lunches will need food. And schools will need help ensuring children who do not have easy access to computers can still learn if their schools close.

People who have difficulty paying their rent or mortgage because they’ve been laid off or had their hours cut back -- we need to help them stay in their homes.

Small businesses that will be devastated as customers stay home and events are canceled -- we need to make sure they have access to INTEREST-FREE loans.

It is a national disgrace that millions of our fellow citizens do not have a single day of paid sick leave.

We need -- both -- a permanent plan for paid sick leave and an emergency plan for everyone who needs it due to the outbreak.

Beyond these national measures, my plan also calls for the creation of a State and Local Emergency Fund to make sure governors, mayors, and local leaders who are battling coronavirus on the ground have the resources necessary to meet this crisis head-on.

These funds could be used at the discretion of local leaders for whatever they most need: expanding critical health infrastructure, hiring additional health care and emergency service personnel, or cushioning the wider economic blow this virus will cause our communities.

We need smart, bold, and compassionate leadership that will help contain the crisis, reduce hardship to our people, and help our economy rebound.

But let me be clear: this is just a start.

We must prepare now to take further decisive action, including direct relief, that will be large in scale and focused on the broader health and stability of our economy.

But we can only protect the health of our economy if we do everything in our power to protect the health of our people.

The last point I want to make today is this -- we will never fully solve this problem if we are unwilling to look beyond our own borders and engage fully with the world.

A disease that starts any place on the planet can be on a plane to any city on earth a few hours later. So we have to confront coronavirus everywhere.

We should be leading a coordinated, global response, just as we did for Ebola, that draws on the incredible capability of the U.S. Agency for International Development and our State Department to assist vulnerable nations in detecting and treating coronavirus wherever it is spreading.

We should be investing in rebuilding and strengthening the Global Health Security Agenda, which we launched during our Administration, specifically to mobilize the world against the threat of new infectious diseases.

It can be hard to see the concrete value of this work when everything seems well with the world.

But by cutting our investments in global health, this Administration has left us woefully ill-prepared for the exact crisis we now face.

No President can promise to prevent future outbreaks.

But I can promise you that when I’m president, we will prepare better, respond better, and recover better. We will lead with science.

We will listen to experts and heed their advice.

We will rebuild American leadership and rally the world to meet global threats.

And I will always, always tell you the truth. That is the responsibility of a president. That is what is owed to the American people. Now, and in the difficult days that still lie ahead, I know that this country will summon our spirit of empathy, decency, and unity.

Because, in times of crisis, Americans stand as one.

Volunteers raise their hands to help. Neighbors look out for neighbors. Businesses take care of their workers.

So we will meet this challenge -- together.
In related news, Senate Republicans have blocked passage of an emergency sick leave bill. So people who may have the virus are still being forced to choose between their own paychecks and the health of their coworkers and anyone else they may come into contact with. --Bob
And I will always, always tell you the truth.
Already you are lying to us. But so is the MSM. One and the same.

No, the republicans aren't blocking emergency paid sick leave. They just want it done differently.
What you didn't tell us, President bobby, is that the dems want this to be a permanent mandate on businesses, large and small. Of course that's something they wanted to mandate on the federal level for a long time, and they are using this crisis to get it through, and using propaganda to push it. Liar Liar, pants on fire. Of course, you being a leftist democrat, snopes would give you a 'mixed'.
According to [Lamar] Alexander, a paid sick leave is a “good idea’ but it should be paid for by the federal government.....

Employees are struggling, our employers are struggling, and it’s not a cure for the coronavirus to put a big new expensive federal mandate on employers who are struggling in the middle of this matter
Oh, and there's talk of a couple of women in your past accusing you of nasty things when you were in high school. The opposition is preparing to do at least 3 investigations into those allegations. And your old law firm seems to be benefitting from your new position in government. New foreign clients!! EMOLUMENTS!!!!

silverscreenselect

#100 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:53 pm
What you didn't tell us, President bobby, is that the dems want this to be a permanent mandate on businesses, large and small. Of course that's something they wanted to mandate on the federal level for a long time, and they are using this crisis to get it through, and using propaganda to push it. Liar Liar, pants on fire. Of course, you being a leftist democrat, snopes would give you a 'mixed'.
According to [Lamar] Alexander, a paid sick leave is a “good idea’ but it should be paid for by the federal government.....

Employees are struggling, our employers are struggling, and it’s not a cure for the coronavirus to put a big new expensive federal mandate on employers who are struggling in the middle of this matter
As usual, when you or virtually any Republican member of Congress says something, there is an ounce of truth and a ton of bullshit:
ABC News wrote:It establishes an unprecedented — but temporary — federal sick leave benefit paid through the Social Security program. Workers with the coronavirus or caring for family members with it would receive two-thirds of their wages for up to three months. The benefit would expire in January 2021.

It also creates a federally mandated sick leave benefit for private businesses that would require all employers to allow their workers to accrue seven days of paid sick leave, with an additional 14 days available immediately in the event of public health emergencies such as the current coronavirus crisis.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... k-69555433

Other media outlets are reporting the same thing. This is not mandatory sick leave as a catch all (and businesses with under 50 employees would be reimbursed by the federal government), but a safety net in place in case of a future public health emergency.

When Republicans say they aren't opposed to a Democratic proposal in theory but that there are problems with this particular one, the chances of them actually supporting any Democratic bill on the subject are about the same as those of your winning the Powerball drawing this weekend (But by all means buy tickets flock; I'm picking up a lucky vibe about you.)