top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Mon May 12, 2008 6:23 am

Quite a weekend - spent all day Saturday in West Lafayette watching my youngest son graduate from Purdue. He was in the "third division", meaning that his school (Liberal Arts) graduated on Saturday afternoon along with the College of Agriculture. It was very nice. Afterward we took him to dinner at the restaurant of his choice - he chose one of the most expensive places in Lafayette. Now he's home for a couple days, then flies off to Seattle for a job interview, after which he'll have to decide between that job (if it's offered) and one closer to home in an entirely different field.

Sunday was Mother's Day, and it was nice to have all four of our sons together in one place. Unfortunately two of them are adamant about not having pictures taken, so we didn't get any photos of all of us together. If my youngest gets the job in Seattle, such get-togethers may be rarer in the future.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Mon May 12, 2008 6:36 am

Take the photos anyway. They'll thank you for it later on in life, unless they're entering the Witness Protection Program.

Even if the photos are embarrassing, hey, that's part of the job description of "parent", section 6 - Embarrass your children whenever and however possible.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 am

Wonder where my brain went. I thought you had only 3 sons.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 am

peacock2121 wrote:Wonder where my brain went. I thought you had only 3 sons.
Probably because #2 son doesn't stand out among his brothers - #1 is the single father, #3 is the married one and #4 is the new college graduate. I don't have occasion to mention him very often.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 am

gsabc wrote:Take the photos anyway. They'll thank you for it later on in life, unless they're entering the Witness Protection Program.

Even if the photos are embarrassing, hey, that's part of the job description of "parent", section 6 - Embarrass your children whenever and however possible.
We do take shots when they're not looking, but it would be nice to have them sit for a "family portrait" once in a while.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 12, 2008 7:28 am

earendel wrote:We do take shots when they're not looking, but it would be nice to have them sit for a "family portrait" once in a while.
You could always photoshop the candid shots together. We have something similar from almost a century ago. After my grandfather immigrated to New York, his mother wanted a family portrait with everyone together, so they had a photographer "photoshop" his image into the background with the rest of the family, back in the old country. :)

But really, you ought to have enough authority left as pater familias to have them sit still for one formal portrait!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 am

Ask the to take the picture for their mother, because she really wants one. That might change their mind.