My favorite commencement speech

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

My favorite commencement speech

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Sun May 11, 2008 8:09 pm

... as discovered in the Evansville (Ind.) Courier & Press:

Only one great lesson remained for University of Evansville students moments away from graduating Saturday, according to commencement speaker J. Gordon Kingsley, principal of Harlaxton College, UE's campus in Grantham, England.

That lesson, he said, is the lesson of learning to dance, which recognizes we live in our hearts as well as our heads.

"There in our hearts it is determined whether we live — live or just log earth time," he said.

The lesson of learning to dance is not about ledger sheets, laboratories, libraries or technologies. Nor is it about getting a job, making a home, becoming a citizen or creating a community, he said.

"The lesson on learning to dance is a lesson of heart and soul and spirit and dreams and hope and promise and faith — of how we look at life," Kingsley said.

"It is the lesson of learning to celebrate life, to celebrate the gift of life, to celebrate the gifts of life, to celebrate God's gifts, whoever we are, wherever we are, whatever we face. That is the lesson of learning to dance."

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: My favorite commencement speech

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:49 pm

silvercamaro wrote:... as discovered in the Evansville (Ind.) Courier & Press:

Only one great lesson remained for University of Evansville students moments away from graduating Saturday, according to commencement speaker J. Gordon Kingsley, principal of Harlaxton College, UE's campus in Grantham, England.

That lesson, he said, is the lesson of learning to dance, which recognizes we live in our hearts as well as our heads.

"There in our hearts it is determined whether we live — live or just log earth time," he said.

The lesson of learning to dance is not about ledger sheets, laboratories, libraries or technologies. Nor is it about getting a job, making a home, becoming a citizen or creating a community, he said.

"The lesson on learning to dance is a lesson of heart and soul and spirit and dreams and hope and promise and faith — of how we look at life," Kingsley said.

"It is the lesson of learning to celebrate life, to celebrate the gift of life, to celebrate the gifts of life, to celebrate God's gifts, whoever we are, wherever we are, whatever we face. That is the lesson of learning to dance."

Is clogging considered dancing? Or is it just a noisy way to scare away the snakes?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Sun May 11, 2008 8:50 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Is clogging considered dancing? Or is it just a noisy way to scare away the snakes?
Whatever works!

:)

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Did you discover this while searching for the article about Picher, that I mentioned in the other thread?

I'm sorry I couldn't find it for you.

UE is a fine little school. My mom worked there for twenty years, in the Guidance Center. My sister is a graduate of there. And Harlaxton is an absolutely beautiful place, although my sis says it's very cold in the winter.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun May 11, 2008 9:05 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Whatever works!

I hoped you were going to tell him to ask a clogger.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Whatever works!

I hoped you were going to tell him to ask a clogger.

Well, seein' as how there's no snakes in Ireland, methinks that St. Patrick musta been a fair clogger.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Sun May 11, 2008 9:12 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Did you discover this while searching for the article about Picher, that I mentioned in the other thread?
No, although I did see a Washington Post article about the town's pre-tornado slow demise. I thought perhaps one story was based on or inspired by the other.

The Evansville paper is one of several newspapers from across the country that I have bookmarked and check from time to time. I think I first bookmarked it after you referred to the paper's story about the woman who, while trying to shoot a dog, killed a neighbor.

5LD

#8 Post by 5LD » Sun May 11, 2008 11:03 pm

Dancing makes me feel free. Always has. I miss taking class.

Re: Graduation advice.....I loved this one. Came to my attention just as I was nearing HS Graduation.....

http://www.conncoll.edu/events/speeches/alda.html

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Mon May 12, 2008 2:18 am

This works well on most cloggers:

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:31 am

Okay, I am going to be a nit picker.

Dancing and learning to dance are two different things. The dancing that was described is not learning to dance, it is letting yourself dance.

If it gets changed to letting yourself dance, then I am all over that one.