Sploofus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

Sploofus

#1 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I seem to recall discussion on this before (plus there are several familiar names). I got a link to it in an email and finally signed up a while back.

The timer still runs after I click and, if it gets down to zero before my hour glass finishes working, it gives me an error message. I got all freaky the first time that happened, but it still gives me credit for the correct answer, because my points and ranking goes up. HOWEVER, it doesn't give me the "you're right!" screen with my time and the % of people who got it right. Which annoys me, especially if it's something I consider a hard question because I want to feel all cocky that only .00000000000033% of people got it right.

I'm assuming that the QOD is different for different people (for many reasons, but mainly because you can opt out of a category). So, if anybody got a European geography question today, could you help me out here? No, I don't want the answer. Ha! I just wanted to know the % of right answers, because it seemed kind of tough to me.

Then again, all geography is tough to me. And can you believe out of 10 days this month, I've had THREE of them already (at least, could be four)? Where are my singer and movie/television questions, dammit!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat May 10, 2008 12:42 pm

I haven't seen any of the questions that anyone else on the bored has talked about. The questions seem pretty random.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Sat May 10, 2008 12:42 pm

I had a movie question today. Give me geography any day!

If I get an error message, I think it's counted as wrong. The timer on the left has nothing to do with how quickly you answered the question, as it keeps counting down even after you've submitted your answer.

They do have some glitches they are working on. Maybe they will eventually get them worked out.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat May 10, 2008 12:42 pm

You can choose one category to refuse, if you like. Geography is one of them.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat May 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:You can choose one category to refuse, if you like. Geography is one of them.
I refused Sports.

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:54 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I haven't seen any of the questions that anyone else on the bored has talked about. The questions seem pretty random.
I just assumed that they had a question or a couple in each category for each day. Otherwise, some enterprising group of people would start up some database with every question asked so they would have a chance of that question coming up for them on a future day.

Nah, nobody would bother to create an internet group and a question database and statistics and everything like that for silly trivia. Would they? ha!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:55 pm

I have never gotten the dreaded error message. But my counter continues to count down after I click the answer. Last night's/todays q was an obscure Vonnegut one. I had not read the book in question in over 40 years.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

fantine33

#8 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:59 pm

kayrharris wrote:I had a movie question today. Give me geography any day!

If I get an error message, I think it's counted as wrong. The timer on the left has nothing to do with how quickly you answered the question, as it keeps counting down even after you've submitted your answer.

They do have some glitches they are working on. Maybe they will eventually get them worked out.
I've gotten the error message three or four times this month, but I'm pretty sure they were counted right because my points go up and my ranking on the leaderboard is pretty good.

Usually the timer keeps going down but the answer screen comes up before it hits zero (and I think it counts my time from when I clicked). It's only when the meter runs completely out that I get the red error screen instead.

fantine33

#9 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:01 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:You can choose one category to refuse, if you like. Geography is one of them.
I refused Sports.
Ha, mine is Science. I debated between Science and Geography and chose what I figured would be the lesser of two evils.

But I had a Kepler question the other day, so WTF is that if not science? I can't remember what the category was called.

I pray for Sports questions. I don't think I've ever gotten one.

fantine33

#10 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:04 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:I have never gotten the dreaded error message. But my counter continues to count down after I click the answer. Last night's/todays q was an obscure Vonnegut one. I had not read the book in question in over 40 years.
I tried to page back to the error message screen to c/p what it says, but it's gone. I'm sure I'll get it again soon, though. Ha! Counting down is fine, it's when it runs out that the mean red error comes up.

I do think that the time keeps counting on the quizzes, though. The laptop takes longer to process and my times are pretty slow. But when I do them on the desktop, my times are a lot better even though I don't think I answer any faster.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:46 pm

fantine33 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I haven't seen any of the questions that anyone else on the bored has talked about. The questions seem pretty random.
I just assumed that they had a question or a couple in each category for each day. Otherwise, some enterprising group of people would start up some database with every question asked so they would have a chance of that question coming up for them on a future day.

Nah, nobody would bother to create an internet group and a question database and statistics and everything like that for silly trivia. Would they? ha!
No way - how silly would that be?

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 10, 2008 1:47 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:I have never gotten the dreaded error message. But my counter continues to count down after I click the answer. Last night's/todays q was an obscure Vonnegut one. I had not read the book in question in over 40 years.
That would be a dream question for me!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat May 10, 2008 3:50 pm

fantine33 wrote:
I refused Sports.
Ha, mine is Science. I debated between Science and Geography and chose what I figured would be the lesser of two evils.

But I had a Kepler question the other day, so WTF is that if not science? I can't remember what the category was called.

I pray for Sports questions. I don't think I've ever gotten one.
I would have gladly made the sacrifice and given you my Sports questions. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat May 10, 2008 3:52 pm

I got the error message twice in one week, when I had been doing really well on Question of the Day.

By the way, I purchased Gold Membership and the problem seems to have disppeared, along with the popups.

Ritterskoop

#15 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat May 10, 2008 11:39 pm

From the FAQ, in case anyone wondered about using multiple accounts:

Please note that prize winners and wager token redeemers have their IP addresses logged. Winnings may be suspended to suspicious users utilizing the same IP address repeatedly throughout their account history. This is done only to maintain the fair, competitive nature of multiplayer trivia.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:29 am

I received the dreaded error message. But as previously noted the score still counted. I have no doubt that a high number of players got it correct (except for those deficient in the athletic arts). Basically, which baseball player is known as "Charlie Hustle"?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#17 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 11, 2008 1:30 am

ulysses5019 wrote:I received the dreaded error message. But as previously noted the score still counted. I have no doubt that a high number of players got it correct (except for those deficient in the athletic arts). Basically, which baseball player is known as "Charlie Hustle"?
Even I know that Charlie Hustle is Pete Rose.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#18 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:56 am

ulysses5019 wrote:I received the dreaded error message. But as previously noted the score still counted. I have no doubt that a high number of players got it correct (except for those deficient in the athletic arts). Basically, which baseball player is known as "Charlie Hustle"?
Then you shouldn't be afraid of the sports category.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 11, 2008 9:04 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
Then you shouldn't be afraid of the sports category.
Is that Peter Noone from Hermans Hermits?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#20 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 11, 2008 9:11 am

I just did Sploofus QOD and got the dreaded error message.

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 11, 2008 9:16 am

Agh! I just did a maximum wager on a geography question and timed-out, thus losing 25% of my points. The question wasn't actually a geography question either, asking the population of Nigeria.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#22 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:20 am

Bob Juch wrote:Agh! I just did a maximum wager on a geography question and timed-out, thus losing 25% of my points. The question wasn't actually a geography question either, asking the population of Nigeria.
That was considered geography when I studied it in the 7th grade. We also studied imports/exports, climate, culture, and lots of other things that don't show up on a map. Anything we learned about population is defenestrated, of course.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#23 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:21 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Agh! I just did a maximum wager on a geography question and timed-out, thus losing 25% of my points. The question wasn't actually a geography question either, asking the population of Nigeria.
That was considered geography when I studied it in the 7th grade. We also studied imports/exports, climate, culture, and lots of other things that don't show up on a map. Anything we learned about population is defenestrated, of course.
I think that might be the most amusing use of "defenestrated" I have ever read.

I liked it. Made me chuckle.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#24 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:37 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
I think that might be the most amusing use of "defenestrated" I have ever read.

I liked it. Made me chuckle.
This is the only place I post where folkses appreciate five-syllable humor. :mrgreen:

I first learned that word where I was studying for the local charity adult spelling bee. IIRC, the prounouncer used it in a sentence which described a bar brawl; you may have liked that one too.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

peacock2121

#25 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:24 pm

I looked it up.

That is a very cool word.

I will venture to remember it and throw it around a bit in conversation.

Ha!