Third World Solutions to First World Problems

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Third World Solutions to First World Problems

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 am

California leads the way!!!! Massive power shutoffs for up to a week. Yeah, California!!!!!

I am grabbing a bag of popcorn and enjoying the thought of Tesla owners in this fix.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california- ... 500945.php

And just a reminder that VDH was ahead of the curve when he describes California as our first 3rd-World state.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/ ... structure/

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Third World Solutions to First World Problems

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:46 am

Do you have a better solution to the threat of wildfires caused by extreme wind conditions damaging power lines and causing them to spark? Or would you prefer we just wait for the fires?

I mean, seriously. That's like criticizing a coastal city for evacuating in the face of a hurricane warning. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Do you have a better solution to the threat of wildfires caused by extreme wind conditions damaging power lines and causing them to spark?
And, of course, the reason that the woods are in such a flammable condition has a lot to do with the global warming in recent years that the Spocks and Victor Davis Hansons of the world claim doesn't exist.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:And, of course, the reason that the woods are in such a flammable condition has a lot to do with the global warming in recent years that the Spocks and Victor Davis Hansons of the world claim doesn't exist.
To be fair, Spock has posted often about the environment and knows that global warming exists.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Do you have a better solution to the threat of wildfires caused by extreme wind conditions damaging power lines and causing them to spark? Or would you prefer we just wait for the fires?

I mean, seriously. That's like criticizing a coastal city for evacuating in the face of a hurricane warning. --Bob
With Spock's insertion of the Tesla comment, I don't think he is razzing so much on having to cut the power off as he is the goal of total reliance on non-carbon energy.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Do you have a better solution to the threat of wildfires caused by extreme wind conditions damaging power lines and causing them to spark? Or would you prefer we just wait for the fires?

With Spock's insertion of the Tesla comment, I don't think he is razzing so much on having to cut the power off as he is the goal of total reliance on non-carbon energy.
The title of the post suggests otherwise to me.

But I think gasoline pumps also need electricity to operate, so I doubt other drivers will be in much better shape. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 am

Come to think of it, since PG&E is privately owned, perhaps his point was to inveigh against privatization of government services such as utilities. But somehow I doubt that. --Bob

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Do you have a better solution to the threat of wildfires caused by extreme wind conditions damaging power lines and causing them to spark?
And, of course, the reason that the woods are in such a flammable condition has a lot to do with the global warming in recent years that the Spocks and Victor Davis Hansons of the world claim doesn't exist.
With the richest soil in the world in the Ukraine and southern Russia-there were 75 years of crop failures in the Soviet Union due to "unforeseen bad weather."

Substitute "Global warming" for "unforeseen bad weather" and you have given me psychological insight into the type of person who would not only buy that argument, but would have made it with a straight face in the old Soviet Union.

As we descend further into "3rd World conditions" look for more such events that you will blame on the "Weather" or in your case "Global Warming."

Besides, since the wide adoption of electricity, we all know that there have never been dry conditions in California-Weather started yesterday in California and any dry conditions are totally new and unforeseen.

Iowahawk has a fun thread on this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status ... 5432600576

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Spock wrote: As we descend further into "3rd World conditions" look for more such events that you will blame on the "Weather" or in your case "Global Warming."

Besides, since the wide adoption of electricity, we all know that there have never been dry conditions in California-Weather started yesterday in California and any dry conditions are totally new and unforeseen.
Meanwhile, the reality-based community differs with you, Victor Davis Hanson, and Iowa Hawkeye, based on scientific measurements.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... -wildfire/
https://www.insidescience.org/news/clim ... -wildfires
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 103311.htm
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Spock wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
With the richest soil in the world in the Ukraine and southern Russia-there were 75 years of crop failures in the Soviet Union due to "unforeseen bad weather."

Substitute "Global warming" for "unforeseen bad weather" and you have given me psychological insight into the type of person who would not only buy that argument, but would have made it with a straight face in the old Soviet Union.

As we descend further into "3rd World conditions" look for more such events that you will blame on the "Weather" or in your case "Global Warming."

Iowahawk has a fun thread on this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status ... 5432600576
It's true that the privately owned utility that owns those power lines has neglected their maintenance for a very long time. But you're mistaken if you think this is the first time utilities have resorted to power outages to prevent fires. What makes this one notable is (a) PG&E's recent bankruptcy, arising from its responsibility for past wildfires, and (b) the scope of the outage.

And I still don't understand how you make a connection between this shutdown and California governance. --Bob

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 am
California leads the way!!!! Massive power shutoffs for up to a week. Yeah, California!!!!!

I am grabbing a bag of popcorn and enjoying the thought of Tesla owners in this fix.

And just a reminder that VDH was ahead of the curve when he describes California as our first 3rd-World state.

Elon Musk is paying attention to Spock's concerns.

Tesla says so long to California, files to move headquarters to Texas
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:00 pm

jarnon wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:23 pm
Spock wrote:

I find it curious Spock had nothing to say about Texas's problems last winter. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:00 pm
jarnon wrote:
Spock wrote:

I find it curious Spock had nothing to say about Texas's problems last winter. --Bob
You know that wind farms froze too.
And, yep, there was mismanagement in the whole grid thing.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:43 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:

So the wind farms in Texas froze. Don't they get power from out of state?

My power comes 100% from wind and I am not aware of a wind farm in Arizona.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:53 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Wind farms in Tx are like in Tx
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:53 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

The big issue with Texas is that it's not connected to either of the country's regional power grids. Texas made that decision so it wouldn't have to comply with various maintenance requirements applicable to the regional grids. Given what happened last winter, I'm thinking a lot of people are now seeing that as a false economy. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:03 pm

My point was everything froze or failed. Nothing is infallible.
Well, then