Transcript 5/24/2019 - Liz Murphy (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/24/2019 - Liz Murphy (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Liz Murphy
Cambridge, MA

Liz has $7000 in the bank but only one lifeline (the 50:50).

$10,000: If you know your away around a cyclic, a collective, a throttle and yaw pedals, you're ready to operate the four main controls of a what?
A - motorcycle
B - Segway scooter
C - helicopter
D - train

Liz thinks the key is "yaw pedal".
Spoiler
Answer: C (helicopter)

$20,000: Which of these famous movie quotes is NOT the final line spoken in its respective film?
A - "The horror, the horror..."
B - "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
C - "The truth is...I am Iron Man."
D - "It was beauty killed the beast!"

Liz thinks she knows this. She identifies each of the movies.
Spoiler
Answer: B ("Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.")

$30,000: By definition, clabbered milk is milk that has what?
A - been brought to a boil
B - soured and thickened
C - been genetically modified
D - had its fat reduced

Liz likes to cook and her grandmother was a great cook. Liz reads a lot of cookbooks and she had an idea before the answers were revealed.
Spoiler
Answer: B (soured and thickened)

commercial break

If Liz wins the money she wants to join a team that helps rescue penguins off South Africa.

$50,000: While the U.S. has hosted the most Summer and Winter Olympics with a total of 8, which country has thus far hosted the second-most with 5?
A - Japan
B - Italy
C - Canada
D - France

Liz and her mother were discussing the Olympics before she came to the show; her mother thought it would be something good to know.
Spoiler
Liz says that Japan has hosted one Summer and one Winter games, Italy has only done a couple of Winter games, and Canada hasn't done any Summer games. She knows France had two Summer games, and remembers Albertville hosting the Winter games, and thinks there was one other
Spoiler
Answer: D (France)

commercial break

Liz spent her youth in Scranton, PA, at the college library.

$100,000: Considered one of the worst albums ever, a 1974 record consisting only of between-song banter from live shows was called "Having Fun With" whom "On Stage"?
A - Elvis
B - Dylan
C - The Doors
D - Streisand

Liz would love to keep playing so she wants to improve her chances. She uses her 50:50.
Spoiler
"50:50 results": A & D

"That's interesting," Liz says. She knows
Spoiler
Streisand does a great live show but is more "on message" between shows
. She decides to take a chance.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Elvis)

commercial break

MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY": The newspaper term "Op-Ed" means what?
A - opposite the editorial page
B - opinion of the editors
C - optional edition
D - operation educate
Spoiler
Answer: A (opposite the editorial page)

commercial break

$250,000: With sales of $133 billion in 2017, when it comes to goods, what is the United States' biggest export industry?
A - crude oil, fuel and other petroleum products
B - food, beverage and feed
C - passenger cars
D - pharmaceuticals

Liz thinks she can narrow it down but she's not feeling super about it.
Spoiler
She thinks it might be A or B, but it could be C or D also
. All of them probably are in the billions in sales. She thinks about the economic impact of the European Union. She hates to do it but she decides to walk away. Her guess would have been
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
Answer: B (food, beverage and feed)

earendel

Re: Transcript 5/24/2019 - Liz Murphy (carryover)

#2 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Liz Murphy
Cambridge, MA

Liz has $7000 in the bank but only one lifeline (the 50:50).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000: By definition, clabbered milk is milk that has what?
A - been brought to a boil
B - soured and thickened
C - been genetically modified
D - had its fat reduced

Liz likes to cook and her grandmother was a great cook. Liz reads a lot of cookbooks and she had an idea before the answers were revealed.
Spoiler
Answer: B (soured and thickened)
There's a brand called "Clabber Girl" that my mother used in baking. I don't know why it was called that.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000: With sales of $133 billion in 2017, when it comes to goods, what is the United States' biggest export industry?
A - crude oil, fuel and other petroleum products
B - food, beverage and feed
C - passenger cars
D - pharmaceuticals

Liz thinks she can narrow it down but she's not feeling super about it.
Spoiler
She thinks it might be A or B, but it could be C or D also
. All of them probably are in the billions in sales. She thinks about the economic impact of the European Union. She hates to do it but she decides to walk away. Her guess would have been
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
Answer: B (food, beverage and feed)
I don't know if I'd have been willing to take the chance, either, but then again I'd still have lifelines available. At this level, I'd start with the 50:50, which would probably leave A and B. I don't know if the audience could help, so I'd call on my +1.

Liz was a former J! contestant, I believe.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am

Earendel: "There's a brand called "Clabber Girl" that my mother used in baking. I don't know why it was called that"

I have some - baking powder, but also had no idea the etymology of the word. I used to be a lot better about checking out words I didn't recognize, but have let that habit fall off a bit. I need to polish it up again; I ran up against a word I was not familiar with on HQ Trivia last week, but I don't remember what it was. Something about which of these is a "???" word - I happened to guess correctly, but it was a straight-up guess. I also meant to remember the word and look it up - but as I was at Trivia Night at our local watering hole at the time, it flitted out of my head. I think I even wrote it down, but left that scrap of paper on the table at the end of the night. Getting old isn't for sissies.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:47 am

tlynn78 wrote:Earendel: "There's a brand called "Clabber Girl" that my mother used in baking. I don't know why it was called that"

I have some - baking powder, but also had no idea the etymology of the word. I used to be a lot better about checking out words I didn't recognize, but have let that habit fall off a bit. I need to polish it up again; I ran up against a word I was not familiar with on HQ Trivia last week, but I don't remember what it was. Something about which of these is a "???" word - I happened to guess correctly, but it was a straight-up guess. I also meant to remember the word and look it up - but as I was at Trivia Night at our local watering hole at the time, it flitted out of my head. I think I even wrote it down, but left that scrap of paper on the table at the end of the night. Getting old isn't for sissies.
I did a Google search and found a Wikipedia article about Clabber Girl. Apparently it gets its name from a process for creating baking powder that included "sour milk (clabber), pearl ash, soda, cream of tartar and a few other ingredients".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am

earendel wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Earendel: "There's a brand called "Clabber Girl" that my mother used in baking. I don't know why it was called that"

I did a Google search and found a Wikipedia article about Clabber Girl. Apparently it gets its name from a process for creating baking powder that included "sour milk (clabber), pearl ash, soda, cream of tartar and a few other ingredients".

Ah - good to know! Thank you! I'd have got around to that, eventually.. when I remembered.. not to forget. Ugh.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by ontellen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 am

Canada never hosted the summer Olympics.....right. Try Montreal in 1976.