Verbatim from IRS website(FAQ)-re Economic Stimulus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Verbatim from IRS website(FAQ)-re Economic Stimulus

#1 Post by Spock » Thu May 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?

A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money?

A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?

A. Only a smidgen.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment?

A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China?

A. Shut up.

TheConfessor

#2 Post by TheConfessor » Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Post subject: Verbatim from IRS website(FAQ)-re Economic Stimulus
What's the URL?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Verbatim from IRS website(FAQ)-re Economic Stimulus

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Spock wrote:Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?

A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money?

A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?

A. Only a smidgen.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment?

A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China?

A. Shut up.
This is all such a lie. We'll use it to pay a portion of our home equity loan. We already have an HD tv, albeit a three year old one. Are you sure the purpose didn't have an embedded message to buy shoes?
Well, then

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:17 pm

Did someone mention shoes? I got me some wicked ones....
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri May 09, 2008 7:21 am

ulysses5019 wrote:Did someone mention shoes? I got me some wicked ones....
I am jealous.

My friend got $2100 from the government. She used it for bills.

I would use it to truly stimulate the economy, by buying stuff.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 09, 2008 7:43 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I would use it to truly stimulate the economy, by buying stuff.
President Bush applauds your patriotism!

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Fri May 09, 2008 7:56 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I would use it to truly stimulate the economy, by buying stuff.
Screw the applause. President Bush should pay for OUR wedding, too. And as a taxpayer I want to know that I'm not paying a cent for Jenna's wedding, aside from the necessary extra security which I can deal with.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:58 am

gsabc wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Screw the applause. President Bush should pay for OUR wedding, too. And as a taxpayer I want to know that I'm not paying a cent for Jenna's wedding, aside from the necessary extra security which I can deal with.
Of course you are paying for it.

Do you expect the President to work for no salary?

(Did you mean directly paying for it?)

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Fri May 09, 2008 9:55 am

Appa23 wrote:
gsabc wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: President Bush applauds your patriotism!

Yes. He's making enough money. He can pay for it himself. I don't want taxpayers to pick up the tab for so much as a single mini-cheeseburger, let alone for any of the tangy tomato dipping sauce.

I can deal with any additional security/Secret Service costs. Do ya think they'll pat down the parents of the groom?

Spock

#10 Post by Spock » Fri May 09, 2008 10:03 am

gsabc wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
gsabc wrote: Screw the applause. President Bush should pay for OUR wedding, too. And as a taxpayer I want to know that I'm not paying a cent for Jenna's wedding, aside from the necessary extra security which I can deal with.

Yes. He's making enough money. He can pay for it himself. I don't want taxpayers to pick up the tab for so much as a single mini-cheeseburger, let alone for any of the tangy tomato dipping sauce.

I can deal with any additional security/Secret Service costs. Do ya think they'll pat down the parents of the groom?
I volunteer to pat down Jenna.

A qhile back a mid-20's guy asked me if I was a "Jenna Guy" or a "Barbara Guy"? Hands down-I am a Jenna Guy-He preferred Barbara.

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:09 am

gsabc wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
gsabc wrote: Screw the applause. President Bush should pay for OUR wedding, too. And as a taxpayer I want to know that I'm not paying a cent for Jenna's wedding, aside from the necessary extra security which I can deal with.

You may have missed my point, GSABC.

You also paid for my daughter's dance classes, my son's Nintendo DS, and my cars.

My salary comes from the taxpayers, so when I buy something with that money, then you are paying (albeit indirectly). :)

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 am

Appa23 wrote:You may have missed my point, GSABC.

You also paid for my daughter's dance classes, my son's Nintendo DS, and my cars.

My salary comes from the taxpayers, so when I buy something with that money, then you are paying (albeit indirectly). :)
Nope, I understood that. I also pay for the FDA minions who come by every couple of years to check up on my work and possibly beat me up.

I just want to make sure that GWB is paying for the wedding out of his own pocket, and that none of the catering or other bills get dumped into that part of his household budget that's paid for by the taxpayers. Normal household expenses are okay. Fancy personal affairs (excluding head of state visits with the "personal") are his responsibility in their entirety.

Appa23

#13 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 am

gsabc wrote:

Nope, I understood that. I also pay for the FDA minions who come by every couple of years to check up on my work and possibly beat me up.

I just want to make sure that GWB is paying for the wedding out of his own pocket, and that none of the catering or other bills get dumped into that part of his household budget that's paid for by the taxpayers. Normal household expenses are okay. Fancy personal affairs (excluding head of state visits with the "personal") are his responsibility in their entirety.
Not sure why you even think that the Bushes would act in such a manner.

Clintons? Heck, yes! (Based on Bill's grab for cash after leaving office, if Chelsea evers gets married, they might try to get corporate sponsorship for it. :lol: )

Even if you have a deep hatred for the President, Laura Bush never has given any reason to doubt her ethics or morals.
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri May 09, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheCalvinator24

#14 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:53 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:Did someone mention shoes? I got me some wicked ones....
I am jealous.

My friend got $2100 from the government. She used it for bills.

I would use it to truly stimulate the economy, by buying stuff.
We got ours yesterday.

$2400. $400 is going into the girls' Mutual Funds.

$2000 is going toward a family trip to San Diego at Christmas.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

gsabc

#15 Post by gsabc » Fri May 09, 2008 11:07 am

Appa23 wrote:
gsabc wrote:

Not sure why you even think that the Bushes would act in such a manner.

Clintons? Heck, yes! (Based on Bill's grab for cash after leaving office, if Chelsea evers gets married, they might try to get corporate sponsorship for it. :lol: )

Even if you have a deep hatred for the President, Laura Bush never has given any reason to doubt her ethics or morals.
I'd complain about it no matter who was in the White House. President's daughter wants a wedding? It's not a State event, it's a personal one. She and he (or she and she) should pay for it themselves. That's how I'm doing it.

Unless I can convince other taxpayers to foot the bill. Any takers? :P

TheConfessor

#16 Post by TheConfessor » Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 am

Appa23 wrote: You may have missed my point, GSABC.

And your bored posts.

I'm curious -- could any citizen request a copy of all of those, under the Freedom of Information Act? I really don't know how that works or whether a citizen has to submit a valid approved reason for such a request. What about e-mails sent from work? (I'm not trying to pick on HD specifically. It's more of a general question about government employees.)

Appa23

#17 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 am

TheConfessor wrote:

And your bored posts.

I'm curious -- could any citizen request a copy of all of those, under the Freedom of Information Act? I really don't know how that works or whether a citizen has to submit a valid approved reason for such a request. What about e-mails sent from work? (I'm not trying to pick on HD specifically. It's more of a general question about government employees.)
No on posts, as they are not Government documents.

No on personal e-mails, for privacy reasons.

Also, keep in mind that you have to pay for document collection time and reproduction costs.

Still, point taken. :)

TheConfessor

#18 Post by TheConfessor » Fri May 09, 2008 11:49 am

Appa23 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:

And your bored posts.

No on posts, as they are not Government documents.

No on personal e-mails, for privacy reasons.

Also, keep in mind that you have to pay for document collection time and reproduction costs.

Still, point taken. :)
Seems like someone would have to look at all of the e-mails before determining which ones are personal.

What about bored posts that advocate some political position? Aren't those a violation of the Hatch Act?

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:52 am

This is getting good.

I shall go get me some popcorn.

peacock2121

If I pay your salary

#20 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:53 am

why can't I fire you?

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:54 am

oopsie.

Meant to start a new thread.

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:07 pm

I read up on the Hatch Act,

Looks like he is not violating it.

TheConfessor

#23 Post by TheConfessor » Fri May 09, 2008 12:18 pm

peacock2121 wrote:I read up on the Hatch Act,

Here's a brief passage from Wikipedia. I guess it depends on how one interprets it. It seems to me that just having a water cooler chat about politics at work could be seen as a violation, if any opinions are expressed.
The original Act forbids intimidation or bribery of voters and restricted political campaign activities by federal employees. It prohibits using any public funds designated for relief or public works for electoral purposes.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:20 pm

TheConfessor wrote:

Here's a brief passage from Wikipedia. I guess it depends on how one interprets it. It seems to me that just having a water cooler chat about politics at work could be seen as a violation, if any opinions are expressed.
The original Act forbids intimidation or bribery of voters and restricted political campaign activities by federal employees. It prohibits using any public funds designated for relief or public works for electoral purposes.
Wouldn't these all depend on what "engaging in political activity on duty" (from the act itself) is defined as? I didn't go into depth reading about it, so maybe it is defined.
Well, then

peacock2121

#25 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:23 pm

TheConfessor wrote:

Are you looking at the expression of opinions as 'political campaign activities'?