The Princess Bride

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

The Princess Bride

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Looking for opinions --

I am officiating at a wedding in late June, and the bride wants me to keep it light. I can see why -- I officiated at her sister's wedding, and she sobbed almost all the way through it.

She wants me to be the Very Impressive Clergyperson and conduct the ceremony the same way. I don't think I can do it, and besides, Buttercup and Whatsisname (Montague?) end up not married. "Did you say I do?" "No, we skipped that part." "Then you're not married."

All y'all who have seen this movie a dozen times or more (OK, maybe a couple times), do you think the ceremony scene can be adapted to a real wedding, and do you have any suggestions for someone who doesn't think she can summon up an Elmer Fudd accent?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 pm

Humperdink.

If I went to a wedding and the clergyman started that bit, i would bust a gut laughing.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Ritterskoop

Re: The Princess Bride

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed May 07, 2008 10:02 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
All y'all who have seen this movie a dozen times or more (OK, maybe a couple times), do you think the ceremony scene can be adapted to a real wedding, and do you have any suggestions for someone who doesn't think she can summon up an Elmer Fudd accent?
Adapted, yes.

Even if all you can manage on the accent is mawwaige, you'll be on the right track. The trick is to do it with the self-importance that does not know it has a lisp. That's funnier than any specific pronunciation.

Mawwaige. Mawwaige is what bwings us togevver...today.

Mawwaige, that bwessed awangement...
that dweam wivv-in a dweam...

so tweasuh your wuve...

have you the wing?

Keep it short. Have a line in reserve that is only if the rest of it isn't working.

Rehearse with one of us over the phone, like you would an audition. Or on tape in the mirror. Something so you can see if it's working.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: The Princess Bride

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:The trick is to do it with the self-importance that does not know it has a lisp.
I think I can manage that.

Thanks, y'all!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 07, 2008 10:18 pm

You officiate weddings? How so? JP or clergy? Skipper of your own boat?

The things you don't know about the people here...

Regarding the Princess Bride request, I personally think marriage too sacred an institution and it, as well as the ceremony, is not be be taken lightly or mocked. I have never understood the bungee cord, Wal-mart checkout stand, scuba diving weddings. If you are looking for attention enter a hotdog eating contest.

JMHO
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:You officiate weddings? How so? JP or clergy? Skipper of your own boat?

The things you don't know about the people here...

Regarding the Princess Bride request, I personally think marriage too sacred an institution and it, as well as the ceremony, is not be be taken lightly or mocked. I have never understood the bungee cord, Wal-mart checkout stand, scuba diving weddings. If you are looking for attention enter a hotdog eating contest.

JMHO
Anybody can officiate at weddings in Colorado. The courthouse gardener could do it. Just requires a signature on the marriage license. I've been a family friend of this family since approximately my 13th birthday, when I started to be friends with the bride's mother. Our birthdays are one day apart

You raise a good point about weddings. I'll talk to the bride about it tomorrow. Maybe she's changed her mind all by herself.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:23 am

I have never seen the movie.

I think weddings are personal.

I think they are also meaningful.

I think something meaningful can be fun and funny and self-deprecating.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 6:26 am

SportsFan68 wrote:Anybody can officiate at weddings in Colorado. The courthouse gardener could do it. Just requires a signature on the marriage license.
Wow! How egalitarian! :)

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 6:27 am

peacock2121 wrote:I have never seen the movie.
See the movie, Pea!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
See the movie, Pea!

I've never seen it either... :P

lb13

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
See the movie, Pea!
Tell me what I will get from seeing the movie, or what you got from seeing the movie.

If I want that - I will see it, I promise.

TheCalvinator24

#12 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:30 am

I disagree with BiT about the ceremony. I think too many folks are more serious about the wedding than they are about the marriage. If the partners are not committed to sticking it out, it doesn't matter how proper or solemn the ceremony is. If they are committed, then it doesn't matter how light or even silly the ceremony is.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#13 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:31 am

Oh, and if I were going to copy a wedding from a movie, I think I'd choose Joe vs. the Volcano.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:35 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:6/12/06

(Carryover)

Dennis Edwards
Washington, DC
Professor
Pastor

Dennis once performed a wedding where the guest hummed "The Bridal March."
At another wedding, the groom asked Dennis to say, "Mawidge - a dweam within a dweam."

If Dennis is this used to dealing with the hopelessly retarded, then I think he'd be the perfect candidate to replace Meredith as the host of this show. I know I wouldn't have been able to perform either of those wedding without having to say, "Do you, Sally, take this dumbass to be your lawfully wedded husband..."

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 6:48 am

peacock2121 wrote: Tell me what I will get from seeing the movie, or what you got from seeing the movie.
I'll let the narrator tell you:
The Grandson: A book?
Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.
The Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...
The Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:16 am

That didn't speak to me.

I am not running out to rent the movie.

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 08, 2008 7:16 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:I disagree with BiT about the ceremony. I think too many folks are more serious about the wedding than they are about the marriage. If the partners are not committed to sticking it out, it doesn't matter how proper or solemn the ceremony is. If they are committed, then it doesn't matter how light or even silly the ceremony is.
I agree many folks put too much emphasis on the wedding. I'm not talking about the wedding. Knock yourself out on the invites, flowers, receptions, band, buffet, whatever.

But the ceremony itself, the vows, the instruction given by the officiator to the bride and groom, the "presentation" to the witnesses of your seriousness and commitment to the marriage.

If you are serious about the marriage and are inviting people to the ceremony, I would think the purpose is to present yourself to those people as being serious about the commitment. It is not a comedy show. You are not inviting the people there to be entertained. That can be done anytime. You don't have to get married to do that.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

nitrah55

#18 Post by nitrah55 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: Tell me what I will get from seeing the movie, or what you got from seeing the movie.
Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...
Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.
It is a celebration of, and lampooning of, every sword/sorcery/quest movie ever made. And is has some terrific performances/cameos.
I am about 25% sure of this.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 am

peacock2121 wrote:That didn't speak to me.

Whatever.

peacock2121

#20 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:21 am

nitrah55 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
It is a celebration of, and lampooning of, every sword/sorcery/quest movie ever made. And is has some terrific performances/cameos.
Sounds like Blazing Saddles to me.

I hated that movie.

Is it different from that flavor?

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 08, 2008 7:23 am

Too bad, for you.

The movie has been discussed, heralded, quoted, and otherwise referred to more than any other movie in the history of this board and all its incarnations. It is quoted by others outside this forum constantly, probably as much as Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will.
Last edited by BackInTex on Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:23 am

What did you get from the movie? What do you think I will get?

If all I'll get is entertainment, I have plenty of things I can do to be entertained without going out of my way to rent a movie, watch it on a DVD player that is in an inconvenient place or worse yet, put it in my computer and watch on a teeny screen in a small office.

christie1111
11:11

#23 Post by christie1111 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 am

Pea, if it matters, I would recommend the movie.

It is a fairy tale that is cleverly done.

The characters are top notch. There is dialogue that is very witty.

I watch it almost ever time I see it on.

I avoid Blazing Saddles with a vengence. Husband loves it, I think it is childish humor.

I love The Princess Bride.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

peacock2121

#24 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 am

BackInTex wrote:

Too bad, for you.

The movie has been discussed, heralded, quoted, and otherwise referred to more than any other movie in the history of this board and all its incarnations. It is quoted by others outside this forum constantly, probably as much as Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will.
That it is said in the same context as Monty Python and Holy Grail is exactly why I am not piqued.

I will take issue with this comment: If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will

I am sure there is something someone could say, they just haven't said it yet.

I also keep saying what people could say and no one is saying it.

What did you get from seeing the film and what do you think I will get?

No one needs to care enough to answer me. If they do, that's great, if not, that's fine.

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 am

peacock2121 wrote:What did you get from the movie? What do you think I will get?

If all I'll get is entertainment, I have plenty of things I can do to be entertained without going out of my way to rent a movie, watch it on a DVD player that is in an inconvenient place or worse yet, put it in my computer and watch on a teeny screen in a small office.

We enjoyed it. We like you so we recommended it to you thinking you might enjoy it.

That is all.

You are being a Queen B***H. :x
~~ Thomas Jefferson