Wedding Blog: BD**2 - 95

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding Blog: BD**2 - 95

#1 Post by gsabc » Wed May 07, 2008 1:53 pm

And the days dwindle down to a precious few ...

BD may have a line on an ASL interpreter. She had the bright idea of contacting her ASL teacher from school (Now THERE was an easy A!). The interpreter that the teacher knows is also the interpreter at graduations and the like. We will be put in touch with her.

FSIL may have a line on housing after the marriage. Word is that the wait for base married housing is currently 3 months. FSIL has a buddy with a 4-bedroom house, who is only using 2 of them. This may bode well for the wait. They can't apply for the housing before they're actually married. The concern was that the newlyweds would have to live in a hotel until housing became available. That's expensive for two people just starting out. GW has said that FSIL will be forgiven for not finding a chaplain (like SHE got called back by any of the ones she contacted) if he can arrange temporary housing with his buddy. Paying the buddy some rent, sharing food costs and preparation, etc., is a lot cheaper than a hotel.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Lots of good news in this report, gsabc!

Including news on really important issues--like "Where will we live?"--and not just on yet another detail for the big party.

:)

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:10 am

I have no idea what life is like when one is in the military.

They have my thanks - both of them.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Thu May 08, 2008 7:36 am

peacock2121 wrote:I have no idea what life is like when one is in the military.

They have my thanks - both of them.
Neither do we. That's part of the inherent parental worrying. Some of BD's, too, though I think most of hers is financial. We've accustomed her to an upper middle class lifestyle. Military pay doesn't exactly allow for that.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:20 am

FWIW, I loved being a military wife. (caveat: i was raised a military brat). I loved the sense of belonging to a 'community.' I especially liked it when we were overseas. The friendships you develop in that situation are beyond measure. So are the experiences available. While the pay isn't great, it doesn't suck, either. Remember, usually that pay doesn't have to stretch to cover a house payment,(assuming one lives on base) electricity, etc. We only ever had to pay phone and cable, as far as 'house' expenses. Grocery shopping at the commissary represents a significant savings, as well. Obviously, free healthcare is a huge bonus. All combined, my three kids (including one c-section) cost us under $300. It's been awhile since we've been out, but I still miss it, and wish we'd stayed in.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire