Hmmm

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Re: Hmmm

#51 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Co-workers who have kept up better than I have assure me he was trying to sell tickets to his concert and also get a raise on his TV show.

I'm now cool with him serving some time.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#52 Post by Estonut » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:I didn't so much think he was going for a pay raise as he was trying, in the wrong way, to send a message that gay-bashing is bad. It is in ENTIRELY the wrong way, in case I was not clear.

My bet is that he will not serve any time if he pleads out, as that is common for first offenders in many charges. Save the taxpayers some money by skipping a trial, do some community service, and hush up for a few years, would be my preference for his future. But it's OK with me if he does 30 days locked up, too. You can't just stir shit up and then walk away with no penalties.
I think it would be appropriate for him to lose his job as well. He misused the public platform that he had by virtue of his celebrity (assuming, as now appears all but certain, that he really did make the whole thing up).
I don't believe he will (or should) get off as easily as Skoop thinks he will.

The CPD believes he was involved in the creation of the "threatening letter," which didn't generate a satisfactory (to him) amount of attention. I looked at the Federal Code about Mailing threatening communications:
18 U.S. Code § 876. Mailing threatening communications

(a) Whoever knowingly deposits in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service or knowingly causes to be delivered by the Postal Service according to the direction thereon, any communication, with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person, and containing any demand or request for ransom or reward for the release of any kidnapped person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value, so deposits, or causes to be delivered, as aforesaid, any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of the addressee or of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(c) Whoever knowingly so deposits or causes to be delivered as aforesaid, any communication with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person and containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of the addressee or of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. If such a communication is addressed to a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official who is covered by section 1114, the individual shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

(d) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value, knowingly so deposits or causes to be delivered, as aforesaid, any communication, with or without a name or designating mark subscribed thereto, addressed to any other person and containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another, or the reputation of a deceased person, or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. If such a communication is addressed to a United States judge, a Federal law enforcement officer, or an official who is covered by section 1114, the individual shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 741; Pub. L. 91–375, § 6(j)(7), Aug. 12, 1970, 84 Stat. 777; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §§ 330016(1)(G), (H), (K), 330021(2), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147, 2150; Pub. L. 107–273, div. C, title I, § 11008(d), Nov. 2, 2002, 116 Stat. 1818.)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/876

Since, to my knowledge, neither Smollet, the CPD, the FBI nor his production company has revealed the contents of the "threatening letter," there is no way for us to yet know whether or not any part of this code applies to him. I noticed that sections (a), (c) & (d) specifically state "addressed to any other person," yet (b) does not. If any of this applies to him, it would constitute a Federal crime, so I don't see them letting him slide much, especially since he (and those who initially supported him, but are now awaiting the results of the investigation) caused this to blow up so big. I'd also think this could constitute hate speech, as he intentionally targeted several groups with his lies.

Lawyers?

Based on what I've read from various sources, Smollet and the brothers are pretty stupid, beyond all the other reprehensible qualities they have demonstrated with this hoax:
1) One of the brothers KEPT the receipt from the purchase of the rope.
2) One of the brothers KEPT the magazine from which they cut letters to paste into the "threatening letter."
3) Smollet paid the brothers BY CHECK!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#53 Post by Vandal » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:04 am

Tweet from The Daily Show:
The Jussie Smollett saga began as a story of people who hated him because he was black and gay. Now, people just hate him because he’s an asshole.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

christie1111
11:11

#54 Post by christie1111 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Well BobMany#s was right. He has lost his job. Not feeling very sorry for him.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Estonut
Evil Genius

#55 Post by Estonut » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:01 pm

I read somewhere that this dirtbag was arrested for DUI in 2007 and chose to ID himself as his brother to the arresting officers. His lawyer claims, "Mr. Smollett is a young man of impeccable character and integrity."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#56 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:45 am

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#57 Post by jarnon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Looks like there are conservative idiots too. --Bob
Jacob Wohl is a crackpot with no more credibility than Milo Yiannopoulos or Dinesh D’Souza. Smollet was a respected actor till now.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#58 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Where's BobJ whatabout when ya need him...
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#59 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:46 pm

jarnon wrote:
Jacob Wohl is a crackpot with no more credibility than Milo Yiannopoulos or Dinesh D’Souza. Smollet was a respected actor till now.
Rec. This guy has been a nut for awhile. Wooie.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#60 Post by Vandal » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am

Charges dropped against 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett
On Tuesday, prosecutors for Cook County, Illinois, dropped all charges against “Empire” star Jussie Smollett.

The news comes after Smollett pleaded not guilty at his arraignment on March 14 on a 16-count indictment of lying to police. He has denied the charges.

Smollett, 36, told Chicago police that he was attacked in the middle of the night on Jan. 29, claiming that two masked men shouted homophobic and racist abuse at him, beat his face, threw bleach on him, hung a noose around his neck and yelled, "This is MAGA country," a reference to President Trump's campaign slogan.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 276106002/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#61 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 am

Vandal wrote:Charges dropped against 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett
On Tuesday, prosecutors for Cook County, Illinois, dropped all charges against “Empire” star Jussie Smollett.

The news comes after Smollett pleaded not guilty at his arraignment on March 14 on a 16-count indictment of lying to police. He has denied the charges.

Smollett, 36, told Chicago police that he was attacked in the middle of the night on Jan. 29, claiming that two masked men shouted homophobic and racist abuse at him, beat his face, threw bleach on him, hung a noose around his neck and yelled, "This is MAGA country," a reference to President Trump's campaign slogan.
This must mean that he didn’t falsely report an attack. After all, the evidence does not establish that a crime was committed. I call upon the producers of “Empire” to restore Mr. Smollett’s position on the show and I apologize to him for my misunderstanding of the evidence against him. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#62 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

Bob78164 wrote:

This must mean that he didn’t falsely report an attack. After all, the evidence does not establish that a crime was committed. I call upon the producers of “Empire” to restore Mr. Smollett’s position on the show and I apologize to him for my misunderstanding of the evidence against him. —Bob
I'm also waiting for all the apologies from Fox News and various right wing sources that got on his case. Did Trump say anything about him?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#63 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I'm also waiting for all the apologies from Fox News and various right wing sources that got on his case. Did Trump say anything about him?
Apologies for what? There is no report saying there was no fraud. Just this:
After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,"
I read this as a plea agreement that Smollett gives up his bond ($10,000) and they drop the charges. It stinks, something isn't right, but in no way is anyone saying the charges were inappropriate or that he did not commit fraud.

I'm sorry your dream of a US President working with an enemy foreign power was not true. You are a pathetic American if you were hoping for that, even worse that you are disappointed by it not being so.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#64 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 pm

I actually agree with him.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Calls Jussie Smollett’s Dropped Charges a ‘Whitewash of Justice’
“If he wanted to clear his name the way to do that was in a court of law so that everyone could see the evidence,” said Johnson. Added Emanuel: “Mr. Smollett is still saying that he is innocent, still running down the Chicago Police department. How dare him. How dare him. After everybody saw – and I want to remind you, this is not the Superintendent’s word against his – a grand jury, a sliver of the evidence, and they came to a conclusion. As did the State’s Attorney’s office.”
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#65 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am

Prosecutors began calling witnesses on Tuesday at the trial of actor Jussie Smollett, who is accused of lying to Chicago police when he claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in January 2019.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-smo ... =142351895
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Spock

#66 Post by Spock » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Vandal wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am
Prosecutors began calling witnesses on Tuesday at the trial of actor Jussie Smollett, who is accused of lying to Chicago police when he claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in January 2019.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jussie-smo ... =142351895
I just don't see how Smollett can get a fair trial in MAGA country.

jarnon

#67 Post by jarnon » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#68 Post by BackInTex » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:11 pm

I hear Fox New is also waiting for all the apologies from SSS and various left wing nuts that got on their case. Did Biden say anything about him?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#69 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:12 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am
Bob78164 wrote:

Y'all still calling on Empire's producers and awaiting apologies, or nah?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#70 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:18 pm

Actor Jussie Smollett was sentenced to 150 days in jail and 30 months probation yesterday, three months after he was convicted on five of six felony counts of disorderly conduct for lying to police. The judge denied a motion by defense attorneys requesting to throw out the verdict. Smollett will have to pay the city of Chicago over $120K in restitution with an additional $25K fine. Chicago officials had asked for over $130K.

Smollett claimed he was attacked while walking outside late at night by two men who assaulted him, yelling racist and homophobic slurs while invoking references to then-President Donald Trump. Police identified the attackers as two acquaintances of Smollett's, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, who said the actor paid them $3,500 to carry out a false attack. Smollett, 39, denied the claims and alleged the Osundairo brothers attempted to extort him, demanding $1M apiece to change their story.

Supporters of Smollett, including actor Samuel L. Jackson, sent dozens of letters to the judge vouching for his character.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/j ... e/2780255/
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man