My flying squirrels are back!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

My flying squirrels are back!

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue May 06, 2008 8:23 pm

One of them, anyway. Saw him/her tonight for the first time this year. We were worried. It's much later than usual to see them, and a nasty cat killed at least two of them late last year. We thought the NC might have gotten them all.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:32 pm

If ya got flyin' squirrels......get yerself a flyin' dog!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 07, 2008 3:11 am

Was Bullwinkle with them?

MarleysGh0st

Re: My flying squirrels are back!

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 6:31 am

gsabc wrote:One of them, anyway. Saw him/her tonight for the first time this year. We were worried. It's much later than usual to see them, and a nasty cat killed at least two of them late last year. We thought the NC might have gotten them all.
Nice to see you have a soft spot for evil squirrels, even if you are prejudiced against geese! :P

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 6:32 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:One of them, anyway. Saw him/her tonight for the first time this year. We were worried. It's much later than usual to see them, and a nasty cat killed at least two of them late last year. We thought the NC might have gotten them all.
Nice to see you have a soft spot for evil squirrels, even if you are prejudiced against geese! :P
I can hardly wait to see what Annie has to say about flying squirrels.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#6 Post by Evil Squirrel » Wed May 07, 2008 6:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I've told you before, we are too cute to be hated. Annie is just jealous.

Geese, on the other hand, are nothing but walking fecal factories. I can't scamper 10 yards without stepping in their mess...

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Wed May 07, 2008 6:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Flying squirrels are small, furry and cute, run away from rather than toward anyone within 50 feet, don't poop all over the yard and don't make loud annoying noises. In short, the exact opposite of the non-migratory Canadian geese in the area.

Our regular squirrels lowered their evil rating when we taught them not to raid the bird feeders. It took one of those squirrel merry-go-rounds and a couple of weight-closing feeders to do it, but now they behave and wait patiently for their food on the ground and in their own feeder. Now if only they could remember where they buried Midnight's brain, which she foolishly left outside years ago ...

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed May 07, 2008 7:15 am

gsabc wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Flying squirrels are small, furry and cute, run away from rather than toward anyone within 50 feet, don't poop all over the yard and don't make loud annoying noises. In short, the exact opposite of the non-migratory Canadian geese in the area.

Our regular squirrels lowered their evil rating when we taught them not to raid the bird feeders. It took one of those squirrel merry-go-rounds and a couple of weight-closing feeders to do it, but now they behave and wait patiently for their food on the ground and in their own feeder. Now if only they could remember where they buried Midnight's brain, which she foolishly left outside years ago ...
It's probably long gone. In fact IIRC there's a song that commemorates that fact:

He's feasting (feasting)
on Midnight's brain in Georgia.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:57 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Was Bullwinkle with them?
Beat me to it.

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Was Bullwinkle with them?
Beat me to it.
We do call them "Rockies". No aviator helmets, though. They must leave them back in the nest.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:53 pm

We do call them "Rockies". No aviator helmets, though. They must leave them back in the nest.

So they're essentially naked? Flying commando?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Rocket_J_Squirrel
Merry Man

#12 Post by Rocket_J_Squirrel » Thu May 08, 2008 10:53 am

Wasn't me! I'm still here in Frostbite Falls. No idea where that damned noisy moose is though.
Where the the hell is that damned moose?