TLAF's Birthday

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

TLAF's Birthday

#1 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:41 pm

TLAF will celebrate her 90th birthday on November 11.

Originally, we were going to have a very quiet dinner in AC, with maybe a couple of Ferrante cousins and their spouses.

As more cousins heard of this, the more they wanted to participate. Most of them couldn't make it to AC.

So, my cousin Regina (that's Big Regina because she's three years older than Little Regina) is opening her house for Aunt Ann's Birthday Bash Open House. No limit on generations. My Uncle Lou's family will have four generations coming.

All first cousins -- and I'm one of 24 on the Ferrante side -- will bring an an appetizer, except for Margie, who will bring honey baked ham and baked ziti main courses, and Little Regina, who is the paper products guru.

Second cousins and subsequent generations are responsible for desserts. If we run out of food, we'll go to Wegman's.

Since I have to bring extra craft materials to Regina's as we clean out the house, that's our cover story. The Boyfriend and I need to stop at Regina's en route to taking TLAF to Beppo di Buca for a quiet dinner.

For her 80th, we had a big celebration at a firehall, with a big crowd --
TLAF's first cousins, my dad's side of the family, some of TLAF's senior citizens' group, and a handful of grade school friends (they were all in each other weddings) and some friends from the old neighborhood.

This is strictly a family affair. Of course, with the size of the family, the head count is up to 75 now.

a1mamacat

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Well, What a wonderful milestone for TLAF.

Make sure you let her know the crazy internet people wish her all the best too!
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

fantine33

Re: TLAF's Birthday

#3 Post by fantine33 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:00 pm

We had a big party for my Grandma's birthday in August. Well, not as big as yours, but I had to do the work since it was my idea, so that's just as well. Ha!

One of the gifts my sister and I gave her was a scrapbook. We took lots of pics at the party and are in the process of completing the gift, which is doing the pages.

So, which came first? Ferrante Day or Armistice Day?

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 pm

Fan --

She was a year old at the Armistice.

My cousin Dennis and his son, PJ, a videographer, are making a DVD of her life.

I provided the pictures and music. I need to send a solo photo, one young and one older, to cap it off.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by ontellen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:13 pm

Give TLAF best wishes on her 90th. David's Aunt Katie had her 90th in February and I did a fold out thingy with all her pictures from the party. It's similar to a scrapbook.

Hope you take lots of pictures and she enjoys herself thoroughly. :D

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Fan --

She was a year old at the Armistice.

My cousin Dennis and his son, PJ, a videographer, are making a DVD of her life.

I provided the pictures and music. I need to send a solo photo, one young and one older, to cap it off.
Wow, her whole life? We are only doing a scrapbook of the party itself.

What are some of your musical selections? Favourite songs of hers or ones that fit the image being shown with it?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:44 am

Please give TLAF mucho happy birthday hugs from here. Your family sounds quite wonderful.
Well, then

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#8 Post by kayrharris » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:18 pm

My mom was 90 on May 22 of this year. I had an open house type party for her. Can't figure out how to insert an image in this post. I tried, believe me. So I posted a photo of my mom with my granddaughter in Phoenix.

She looks pretty darn good for 90. :)

mellytu74

#9 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Fanteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

I didn't realize I hadn't answered your question.

The CDs I gave my cousin are by Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald and Rosemary Clooney -- all TLAF favs. Plus a CD of assorted Big Band music.

I made some suggestions -- Tony Bennett has a version of It's Just a Little Street Where Old Friends Meet, which is a favorite song of hers.

AND, she and The Handsome Feeney Driscoll saw Tony Bennett on their honeymoon, when Tony was just getting started. So, early Tony Bennett is good.

Also, Ella Fitzgerald's A Tisket, A Tasket. TLAf learned how to truck (the old 30s dance) and the Big Apple to that song.

SHe loves Dean Martin, so maybe, Volare.

It's a 20-minute slide show, so there's time for lots of snippets of song.

It will end with three pictures --- her graduation from Fitzsimons Junior High, a photo from her honeymoon at Jack Dempsey's restaurant and one from a couple of years ago in Cape May where she's wearing her tie-dyed Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band tee shirt.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#10 Post by cindy.wellman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:47 pm

MELLY!

You are such a cool daughter to do this for your mother. Both of you will remember this forever.

If TLAF gets wild and wears the lampshade, be sure to take LOTS of pictures!