IRON MAN (No Spoilers!)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

IRON MAN (No Spoilers!)

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Jeff, Maddie and I went to see it today. We showed up 1/2 hour early for the 2:00 p.m. show, but it was sold out, so we saw the 2:30 show. It's been selling out all day.

It's the best movie that I have seen in a long time. I would go see it again in a minute.

Stan Lee had his best cameo ever.

If you go see it, make sure that you stay for the credits because there is an additional scene. Most of the theater left and didn't see it.

Catfish

#2 Post by Catfish » Sun May 04, 2008 6:18 pm

We're looking forward to seeing Iron Man. Thanks for the tip about staying for the credits.

My son and I saw Harold and Kumar . . . , and while we were there we saw previews of---get ready for it, Frank Tangredi---

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MAMA MIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy they made a movie of it. I can't wait.
Catfish

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Catfish wrote:We're looking forward to seeing Iron Man. Thanks for the tip about staying for the credits.

My son and I saw Harold and Kumar . . . , and while we were there we saw previews of---get ready for it, Frank Tangredi---

Maddie and I can't wait to see Mamma Mia! I don't know if Jeff and Emma will see it though.

Jeff and I are going to see Harold and Kumar this week without the girls. I saw the first movie and I don't think that I want Maddie to know what Neil Patrick Harris would do!

Catfish

#4 Post by Catfish » Sun May 04, 2008 6:38 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I don't think that I want Maddie to know what Neil Patrick Harris would do!
Good call. Very good call.
Catfish

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 04, 2008 11:04 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Catfish wrote:We're looking forward to seeing Iron Man. Thanks for the tip about staying for the credits.

Maddie and I can't wait to see Mamma Mia! I don't know if Jeff and Emma will see it though.

Jeff and I are going to see Harold and Kumar this week without the girls. I saw the first movie and I don't think that I want Maddie to know what Neil Patrick Harris would do!

Harold and Kumar is another movie that you should stay through the final credits for another scene.

I saw Iron Man today but missed the end credits. Please put the final scene in a spoiler.....

MarleysGh0st

Re: IRON MAN (No Spoilers!)

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Jeff, Maddie and I went to see it today.
Was Emma uninterested in it?

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 6:52 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Jeff, Maddie and I went to see it today. We showed up 1/2 hour early for the 2:00 p.m. show, but it was sold out, so we saw the 2:30 show. It's been selling out all day.

It's the best movie that I have seen in a long time. I would go see it again in a minute.

Stan Lee had his best cameo ever.

If you go see it, make sure that you stay for the credits because there is an additional scene. Most of the theater left and didn't see it.
I had seen spoilers about the "extra" scene so I stayed to watch for it. As for the movie overall, I'd say that it was one of the best superhero movies of the past few years. As a fan of Iron Man back in the 60s I was curious to see how they'd handle his origin and they were true to the comic book (updated, of course, to reflect different realities). There's at least one hint at a sequal, also.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 6:56 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

Harold and Kumar is another movie that you should stay through the final credits for another scene.

I saw Iron Man today but missed the end credits. Please put the final scene in a spoiler.....
Spoiler
Tony Stark comes into his house, saying something like, "I'm back." Jarvis (the computer) says, "Welcome back," and brings up the lights. Standing with his back to the camera is a figure in a trench coat, looking at the view. The figure says, "I am Iron Man..." (referring to Tony's self-revelation at the press conference), then says, "You've just entered a new universe. You know you're not the only superhero around." Stark asks, "Who are you?" The figure turns around. It's Samuel L. Jackson with an eyepatch. "I'm Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'd like to talk to you about the 'Avenger Initiative."

There have been rumors of an Avengers movie for years - there's supposed to be another such hint in the Hulk movie that comes out shortly.

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Mon May 05, 2008 6:57 am

earendel wrote: There's at least one hint at a sequel, also.
Only one???

Time is at a premium, so I'm not sure we'll get to see any of the summer blockbusters this year. This was on my list, though, and the TV ads and online trailers look great. It may have to wait until the DVD.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:58 am

I am living under a rock.

I have no idea what movie this is.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 7:05 am

peacock2121 wrote:I am living under a rock.

I have no idea what movie this is.
It's a superhero movie based on the Marvel comic character Iron Man. Robert Downey, Jr. plays the lead role of Tony Stark, and Gwynneth Paltrow plays Pepper Potts, his Girl Friday.

And welcome back!

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 am

earendel wrote: It's a superhero movie based on the Marvel comic character Iron Man. Robert Downey, Jr. plays the lead role of Tony Stark, and Gwynneth Paltrow plays Pepper Potts, his Girl Friday.
Pepper Potts sounds like a name that's begging to be put into a SyndieBAM question. :)

I didn't get to see it this weekend, but I'll try to next weekend.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 05, 2008 8:07 am

earendel wrote:There's at least one hint at a sequal, also.
$101 Million box office weekend = Sequel.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Jeff, Maddie and I went to see it today.
Was Emma uninterested in it?
Emma went to sixth grade camp at the beginning of the year. Some of the counselors were talking about total world annihilation by nuclear weapons. I told her that it wasn't going to happen but she worried about it.

Emma knows that Tony Stark manufactures weaopons and she doesn't want to see a movie that has this type of weapons in it because she doesn't want to start obsessing about the world ending again.

We are probably going to see the movie again and I am trying to convince her to see it.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#15 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 05, 2008 8:12 am

earendel wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Maddie and I can't wait to see Mamma Mia! I don't know if Jeff and Emma will see it though.

Spoiler
Tony Stark comes into his house, saying something like, "I'm back." Jarvis (the computer) says, "Welcome back," and brings up the lights. Standing with his back to the camera is a figure in a trench coat, looking at the view. The figure says, "I am Iron Man..." (referring to Tony's self-revelation at the press conference), then says, "You've just entered a new universe. You know you're not the only superhero around." Stark asks, "Who are you?" The figure turns around. It's Samuel L. Jackson with an eyepatch. "I'm Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'd like to talk to you about the 'Avenger Initiative."

There have been rumors of an Avengers movie for years - there's supposed to be another such hint in the Hulk movie that comes out shortly.
Spoiler
I heard Samuel L. Jackson's voice and yelled, it's Shaft. My family didn't appreciate it.

gsabc

#16 Post by gsabc » Mon May 05, 2008 8:21 am

earendel wrote:It's a superhero movie based on the Marvel comic character Iron Man. Robert Downey, Jr. plays the lead role of Tony Stark, and Gwynneth Paltrow plays Pepper Potts, his Girl Friday.
Saw Blythe Danner as Hawkeye's girlfriend in an episode of MASH last night. Brought BD into the room to see how much Gwyneth looked like her mother. BD's comment was "whoa, yeah". It explains my like of Gwyneth. I had a crush on Blythe years ago, in my pre-GW days.

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 8:24 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Emma went to sixth grade camp at the beginning of the year. Some of the counselors were talking about total world annihilation by nuclear weapons.
What a fun camp! :roll:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#18 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 05, 2008 8:25 am

One of the things that I liked about the movie is the age of the characters. Robert Stark is in his forties and there wasn't a 21 year old girl playing his love interest.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 05, 2008 9:01 am

I heard this morning that the character Tony Stark (Iron Man) will make an appearance in the new Incredible Hulk movie.

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 9:04 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I heard this morning that the character Tony Stark (Iron Man) will make an appearance in the new Incredible Hulk movie.
I've heard that also, and that Nick Fury might make a cameo as well. Which would make sense since the Hulk and Iron Man were two members of the original Avengers superhero group (along with Thor, Ant-Man, and the Wasp). Captain America joined just a few issues later.

gsabc

#21 Post by gsabc » Mon May 05, 2008 9:17 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Emma went to sixth grade camp at the beginning of the year. Some of the counselors were talking about total world annihilation by nuclear weapons.
What a fun camp! :roll:
Linus: Do you ever worry about nuclear war, Charlie Brown?
Charlie Brown: What day is today?
Linus: Tuesday.
Charlie Brown: No. I worry about world hunger on Tuesday. Thursday is the day I worry about nuclear war.
(Excuse me if I don't quite have the quotes correct. This dates from a Peanuts strip circa 1962!)

Catfish

#22 Post by Catfish » Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Harold and Kumar is another movie that you should stay through the final credits for another scene.

Argh! My bladder was bursting, and even though I'm a credits reader, I had to leave. Would you please put the H&K final scene in a spoiler? Thanks!
Catfish

Catfish

#23 Post by Catfish » Mon May 05, 2008 10:39 am

What happened to making lanyards and eating s'mores?
Catfish

earendel

#24 Post by earendel » Mon May 05, 2008 10:41 am

Catfish wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Harold and Kumar is another movie that you should stay through the final credits for another scene.

Argh! My bladder was bursting, and even though I'm a credits reader, I had to leave. Would you please put the H&K final scene in a spoiler? Thanks!
I did - see msg #58593.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#25 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 am

Catfish wrote:
What happened to making lanyards and eating s'mores?
It's Science Camp.

Most of the counselors are Liberal Hippie Pacifists, not that there is anything wrong with that...