Transcript 10/25/07 - Kevin Meehan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/25/07 - Kevin Meehan

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:26 pm

Kevin Meehan
Boston, MA
Firefighter

Kevin has a gift for Meredith, an Engine 7 - Ladder 17 tee shirt, which he hopes to trade for a picture from Meredith to hang on their Wall of Fame. Engine 7 is the oldest continously operated fire company in the country.

Meredith: I have a picture of me here, with a little message to you.

Kevin: Awesome!

Meredith: I'll read the message. This says, "To Kevin and everyone at Engine 7, you're hot!"

$4,000
The name of the restaurant chain Au Bon Pain is a French expression meaning "place of good" what?

A: Fish B: Bread
C: Cheese D: Soup

$8,000
What country's flag combines the heraldic crosses of St. George, St. Andrew and St. Patrick?

A: Germany B: The Netherlands
C: Italy D: United Kingdom

Kevin knows St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland and St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. He's not sure about St. George but he goes with D: United Kingdom.

$16,000
What "SNL" alum makes frequent wacky cameos on the sitcom "30 Rock," including an amorous cat wrangler and a prostitute?

A: Victoria Jackson B: Rachel Dratch
C: Julia Sweeney D: Molly Shannon

Kevin has seen "30 Rock" a few times. He thinks he's seen Rachel Dratch on the show, possibly Molly Shannon. He'd like to use the 50/50 but he's concerned with leaving the two he's thinking of, even though he knows it's random.

50/50 leaves B & D.

Kevin: This is where you separate the men from the boys, I think.

Meredith: Well, are you a man or a boy?

-- Commercial Break --

Meredith knew what the answer was on the last question. She was clapping along with the audience.

Kevin bought a house which needs a new roof, if he does the responsible thing with the money. Otherwise, he might buy a Corvette.

$25,000
In April 2007, scientists published new evidence to support the theory that dinosaurs are most closely linked to what modern-day animals?

A: Elephants B: Birds
C: Hippopatamuses D: Snakes

Kevin remembers this from seeing Jurassic Park, maybe from reading it. He's concerned that that theory is older than 2007 and maybe they've decided it's something else, but he goes with B: Birds, final answer.

$50,000
What U.S. state has a roadsign that reads, "You stand on the 45th parallel halfway between the Equator and the North Pole"?

A: New Hampshire B: Virginia
C: South Carolina D: Florida

Kevin has been studying the states and should know this, but he doesn't. New Hampshire seems too far north.

Kevin switches the question.

STQ $50,000
The Barcalounger company claims that what American workplace perk began at their company in 1902?

A: Pension plans B: Water coolers
C: Paid vacations D: Coffee breaks

Kevin thinks, since Barcalounger makes reclining chairs, they'd come up with something more relaxing than pension plans.

Kevin: Well, on multiple choice tests, they always say if you don't know the answer, go with C. I'm gonna go with C: Paid vacations, final answer.

Kevin leaves with $25,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$4,000: B: Bread
$8,000: D: United Kingdom
$16,000: B: Rachel Dratch
$25,000: B: Birds
$50,000: A: New Hampshire
STQ $50,000: D: Coffee breaks

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

Shocked!!

#2 Post by Rexer25 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Shocked, am I, that "When in doubt, Charlie out." is not always correct!
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 10/25/07 - Kevin Meehan

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:37 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
What U.S. state has a roadsign that reads, "You stand on the 45th parallel halfway between the Equator and the North Pole"?

This is the second time in a couple of weeks that it's been very helpful to know that New York City is very close to forty degrees North latitude. (Actually, Philadelphia is even closer.) --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

This is the second time in a couple of weeks that it's been very helpful to know that New York City is very close to forty degrees North latitude. (Actually, Philadelphia is even closer.) --Bob
It's also helpful to know it's the border between New York, Vermont and Quebec.

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:51 am

$50K: Sounds like a question for the PAF. Personally, I was thinking Virginia.

$50K #2: I thought coffee breaks was too obvious. I would've said paid vacations, just like Kevin.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:19 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kevin Meehan
Boston, MA
Firefighter

Kevin has a gift for Meredith, an Engine 7 - Ladder 17 tee shirt, which he hopes to trade for a picture from Meredith to hang on their Wall of Fame. Engine 7 is the oldest continously operated fire company in the country.

I always thought that the first fire department was in Philadelphia, started by Benjamin Franklin.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000
What country's flag combines the heraldic crosses of St. George, St. Andrew and St. Patrick?

Kevin knows St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland and St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. He's not sure about St. George but he goes with D: United Kingdom.

I thought Kevin did a very good job of reasoning through this.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
What "SNL" alum makes frequent wacky cameos on the sitcom "30 Rock," including an amorous cat wrangler and a prostitute?

Kevin has seen "30 Rock" a few times. He thinks he's seen Rachel Dratch on the show, possibly Molly Shannon. He'd like to use the 50/50 but he's concerned with leaving the two he's thinking of, even though he knows it's random.

Absolutely no idea, but since I still have my ATA it's time to use it, figuring that the audience will know this one in a heartbeat.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kevin: This is where you separate the men from the boys, I think.

The exchange went on for much longer than this and it seemed as if Meredith had violated the First Rule of Holes - when you're in one, stop digging.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In April 2007, scientists published new evidence to support the theory that dinosaurs are most closely linked to what modern-day animals?

Kevin remembers this from seeing Jurassic Park, maybe from reading it. He's concerned that that theory is older than 2007 and maybe they've decided it's something else, but he goes with B: Birds, final answer.

I think Kevin didn't comprehend the question. The question spoke about new evidence to support the theory.

Kevin has been studying the states and should know this, but he doesn't. New Hampshire seems too far north.

I might well have been gone on this one, believing, as Kevin did, that NH was too far north. Turns out that Louisville is at 38 degrees, so it couldn't be anything else but NH.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $50,000
The Barcalounger company claims that what American workplace perk began at their company in 1902?

I guessed the right answer on this one, but I wouldn't have seen this question.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kevin: Well, on multiple choice tests, they always say if you don't know the answer, go with C. I'm gonna go with C: Paid vacations, final answer.

"When in doubt, Charlie out!" A shout-out to an old BB.
Last edited by earendel on Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:47 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

It's also helpful to know it's the border between New York, Vermont and Quebec.
Both of those are particular places that people don't have any particular reason for memorizing their coordinates. The 45th parallel doesn't have any memorable historical references as the 49th parallel does for the U.S.-Canadian border, further west, does it?

But, more generally, it would have helped if any contestants know the coordinates for their own home town. Knowing Boston's coordinates would have done it for Kevin in an instant.

Ithaca, BTW, is approximately 42° 30' N, 76° 30' W. :)

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#8 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:28 am

Kevin has a gift for Meredith, an Engine 7 - Ladder 17 tee shirt, which he hopes to trade for a picture from Meredith to hang on their Wall of Fame.

I thought pinup pictures weren't allowed in workplaces due to the fact that someone on PMS decided that it constitutes sexual harrassment. And I don't want to know who else is in that Wall of Fame you guys maintain while you're waiting for some dumbass to fall asleep with a cigarette. Just put Mere's picture between the one Ted Kennedy gave you when you guys rescued him from a ditch and your autographed 8X10 of ghostjmf...

Engine 7 is the oldest continously operated fire company in the country.

So what happened to Engines 1 through 6? And how is it that Boston somehow had 7 fire stations before any other city even had one? What in the hell have they been putting in all that clam chowder?

Meredith: I have a picture of me here, with a little message to you.

Kevin: Awesome!

Meredith: I'll read the message. This says, "To Kevin and everyone at Engine 7, you're hot!"

It probably took Mere all morning to think of that oh so clever moronic message. Be sure to place the picture at leg lifting level for the dalmation...

$4,000
The name of the restaurant chain Au Bon Pain is a French expression meaning "place of good" what?

Is this another one of those New York restaurant chains everyone is supposed to know about? I can't imagine they'd be too terribly popular given that anyone who can't speak French thinks their name's telling you about how you're gonna feel afer you eat there...

$8,000

Well 2 out of three ain't bad, Kev.... even if you did miss the biggie.

$16,000

Kevin, you only know what they told you before the show... and I'm doubtful as to how much of that you managed to retain. But you know how to beat that system? Shut the ^%*& up before you use the 50/50!!!! You're not just wasting lifellines, Kevin, you're rendering them useless before you can even implement them!

50/50 leaves B & D.

Kevin: This is where you separate the men from the boys, I think.

No Kev, this is where we separate the people who are actually smart enough to be on this show from the friggin' dumbasses who don't.

Mere sure is acting feisty today. She must be going drawersless again...

Meredith knew what the answer was on the last question. She was clapping along with the audience.

That's pretty bad when the host actually has to applaud herself for figuring something out. I wonder how many times they have to stop tape after Mere claps for her answer and finds out she's wrong...

Kevin bought a house which needs a new roof, if he does the responsible thing with the money. Otherwise, he might buy a Corvette.

Kev isn't exactly in Corvette territory yet, but I can just imagine him driving back home in the rain from Engine 7 in his fire engine red 'Vette and going inside to empty out the buckets of water that are pouring though his roof. I guess if the entire house is wet, though, it'd be pretty hard for it to catch on fire. I guess you were paying attention to some of those lectures you got at firefighting college...

$25,000

Kevin remembers this from seeing Jurassic Park, maybe from reading it.

Thank goodness you watch educational films and don't bother watching the news...

He's concerned that that theory is older than 2007 and maybe they've decided it's something else, but he goes with B: Birds, final answer.

Kev, the question clearly says that what they found in 2007 SUPPORTS the earlier theory, so first of all, yes the theory is older than 2007, and second, I doubt if they found supporting evidence for the old theory that they changed it to a new one. We're not talking rocket science here, Kev, it's called using your damn brain! The same little cells in your head that you were using to ogle over Meredith's heavily touched up photo and that were putting buying a sports car over fixing your damn roof could have been used to go through that line of thinking!

$50,000

My spokesman lives right by the 90th meridian, yet nobody in his hoosier area has come up with the idiotic idea of putting up a sign that says you're halfway between the Prime Meridian and the International Date Line. Maybe Mere could have used some kind of helpful signpost when she thought the Arctic Circle was in the same place as the Tropic of Capricorn...

Oh my friggin' God, this guy's from Boston for crying out loud, and he has no idea where the 45th parallel lies!!! This is what we savants like to call a $50,000 gift question, Kev. It doesn't get much easier than this, and it's right in your own backyard. Maybe you better borrow Miss South Carolina's map....

Kevin switches the question.

I think my poor brain stem just snapped in two...

STQ $50,000

Kevin thinks, since Barcalounger makes reclining chairs, they'd come up with something more relaxing than pension plans.

MBFFB® thinks, since Kevin comes from Engine 7, the oldest Engine company in the entire world, that he'd be able to come up with a better performance than this one which is about up to a 10 alarm inferno...

Kevin: Well, on multiple choice tests, they always say if you don't know the answer, go with C.

That worked for DaveSenior, but at least he looked like he knew the answer was actually C before he started Charleying out. You, on the other hand, are merely guessing... and doing a poor job of it if I do say so myself.

I'm gonna go with C: Paid vacations, final answer.

Kevin leaves with $25,000.

I feel sorry for all our firefighting men and women out there, because it's going to take years, maybe decades for them to recover their respectable image after this blatant arson attempt on their dignity. As for the arsonist Kevin, he will unfortunately not be leaving emptyhanded. Though he will not be getting that new Corvette, he will get a check for enough money to pay a company of illegal aliens to build him a new roof, and he and his buddies at Engine 7 will bask in the glory that is Meredith Vieira until the day their own station burns to the ground because the firemen running in were too incompetent. You know what, I think I know what happened to Engines 1 through 6 now....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:27 pm

16K: No idea. ATA

50K: Thought it would be one of the southerns, but not Florida. On the other hand, remember that "54.40 or Fight" stuff. So trying to figure out how far from 54.40 (north of the Washington State border) New Hampshire would be. Needless to say, I've lived here since '71 & never heard of this sign. STQ

50K: Don't know this either. PAF

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:10 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:$4,000

Is this another one of those New York restaurant chains everyone is supposed to know about? I can't imagine they'd be too terribly popular given that anyone who can't speak French thinks their name's telling you about how you're gonna feel afer you eat there...
No, it's a national chain - we even have one here in Louisville.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gotribego26

#11 Post by gotribego26 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:52 am

earendel wrote: I always thought that the first fire department was in Philadelphia, started by Benjamin Franklin.
Franklin created fire-fighting clubs - whose members pledged only to help other members - they were modeled after similar clubs in Boston. Nor sure if the membership distinction differentiates clubs from departments.

Or perhaps the organization was one of the first clubs in Boston.