2008 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ladysoleil

Re: 2008 Audition List

#126 Post by ladysoleil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: MarleysGh0st, auditioned June 14, :(
Damn. (Can we say damn here?)

I'm really sorry.

MarleysGh0st

#127 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 am

ladysoleil wrote:Damn. (Can we say damn here?)
I've been saying it a lot...

themanintheseersuckersuit

#128 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
To add salt to the wounds, June 2 was (IIRC) the 6th anniversary of the 1st Syndie BAM audition, we were all so optimistic then.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ladysoleil

#129 Post by ladysoleil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:26 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I'm actually *thinking* something else, but I'm trying to curb my swearing somewhat. But I'm thinking a very bad word on your behalf about the AP's right now.

NellyLunatic1980

#130 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am

F**k no! :D

tlynn78

#131 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14 am

dammitdammitdammit

\t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

geoffil

#132 Post by geoffil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am

Sorry to hear about the news, Marley.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

2008 Audition List

#133 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:53 pm

frogman042, auditioned April 29, :), taping July 25
Autumn2, auditioned April 30, passed written test
Hotseat or Bust!, auditioned April 30, :(, auditioned May 27, :(
LoudmouthLee, auditioned April 30, :x, auditioned May 7, :)
goongas, auditioned May 1, :(
Melora, auditioned May 5, :)
slam, auditioned May 13, :(, auditioned June 10, :(
inniskillin, auditioned May 13, :)
mikehardware, auditioned May 15, :)
clem21, auditioned May 15, :)
Peggles, auditioned May 21, passed written test
shade, auditioned June 10, :)
ron155, auditioned June 14, passed written test
KillerTomato's <I>friend</I>, auditioned June 14, passed written test
MarleysGh0st, auditioned June 14, :(
gsabc, auditioned June 16, passed written test
ladysoleil, auditioned June 16, :x
ibaros, auditioned June 16, :x, auditioning June 25
mellowmom, auditioned June 23, passed written test
Second Chance, auditioned June 23, passed written test
mom2five, auditioned June 23, passed written test
Winnamill, auditioned June 23, passed written test
winegreg, auditioned June 23, passed written test
kittenfeet, auditioning June 25
dodgersteve182, auditioned June 25, passed written test
NellyLunatic1980, auditioned June 27, passed written test
mntetn, auditioned June 27, :x
gsn309, auditioned June 27, passed written test
themanintheseersuckersuit, auditioning July 8
chad1m, auditioning August 13
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kittenfeet

#134 Post by kittenfeet » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:38 am

You can go ahead and add a :x face next to my name. I posted about it but forgot to tell the main list. At least there are some happy faces up there!!
viewtopic.php?t=7089&highlight=kittenfeet

uggg.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

2008 Audition List

#135 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:54 am

kittenfeet, auditioned June 25, :x
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

EgregiousPhilbin

Passed the written, but it won't matter

#136 Post by EgregiousPhilbin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:45 am

I don't know the convention for what constitutes a frowny or a smiley icon in this thread, but for what it's worth, I passed the written test yesterday July 3rd.

The 'interview' was the very definition of perfunctory. The guy took one look at this MAWG and the die was cast. He didn't even look at the answers I'd written on the questionaire page! And when I began answering one of the only two questions he asked me, he actually started talking over me and proceeded onto his last question before I had even finished talking! :evil:

I have experienced once again the painful reality of MAWG game show contestant prejudice and discrimination at the hands of TPTB...

So it's safe to say that a 'happy' postcard won't be forthcoming.

After taking a couple of years off from this insanity, I thought things just [i]might [/i]be different, somehow, someway. I was wrong.

takinover

Re: Passed the written, but it won't matter

#137 Post by takinover » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 am

EgregiousPhilbin wrote:I don't know the convention for what constitutes a frowny or a smiley icon in this thread, but for what it's worth, I passed the written test yesterday July 3rd.
The smileys tend to all look alike, so I like the coloring of getting the call. Perhaps each stage or phase of the process should get it's own color.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#138 Post by frogman042 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:05 pm

EgregiousPhilbin wrote:I don't know the convention for what constitutes a frowny or a smiley icon in this thread, but for what it's worth, I passed the written test yesterday July 3rd.

The 'interview' was the very definition of perfunctory. The guy took one look at this MAWG and the die was cast. He didn't even look at the answers I'd written on the questionaire page! And when I began answering one of the only two questions he asked me, he actually started talking over me and proceeded onto his last question before I had even finished talking! :evil:

I have experienced once again the painful reality of MAWG game show contestant prejudice and discrimination at the hands of TPTB...

So it's safe to say that a 'happy' postcard won't be forthcoming.

After taking a couple of years off from this insanity, I thought things just might be different, somehow, someway. I was wrong.
For what its worth, I'm a MAWG as well so don't give up hope (I'm assuming that you didn't get the video interview, so although it is slim, here's hoping you buck the odds).

I don't know if the fact that I was in one of the very first groups of the auditioning season had any effect or not (I wonder if they have profile quotas), but I gave a big smile for the Poleroid and bounded up to the table when they called my name. When the interview started I handed the interviewer my application form and she didn't even look at it when she asked her first question about what I did for a living. I responded, "Well, when I'm not taking care of my 10 kids...", that got her attention, we talked about that for a bit and then she took some time to actually read my application. She noticed my participation in the International Pun-Off competition and things went well.

So, my advice is first and formost don't give up, stay upbeat, take control of the interview so that you bring out your strengths as opposed to being passive and just responding to their questions - the way I figure it, I guess they would think that if you are not afraid and are willing to take charge, that you would do well under the pressure of the game.

Finally, one last piece of advice, do some mock interviews, perhaps even video tape yourself, see if you have anything that looks uncomfortable to view, nervious ticks, etc. Get yourself feeling comfortable being interviewed.

Don't give up and good luck!

---Jay

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

2008 Audition List

#139 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:49 pm

kittenfeet, auditioned June 25, :x
EgregiousPhilbin, auditioned July 3, passed written test

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#140 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:51 pm

takinover wrote:
The smileys tend to all look alike, so I like the coloring of getting the call. Perhaps each stage or phase of the process should get it's own color.
On the Love Boat, the smileys had different colors so it was easier to see the difference. I've posted in the Suggestion Box asking TPTB here whether something similar can be arranged here, but so far . . . . :P --Bob

EgregiousPhilbin

Thanks for the encouraging words Frogman...

#141 Post by EgregiousPhilbin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:26 pm

... but I've been doing this too long now (nearly 8 years) to believe that I have a chance. Even the year when I was granted a second interview (this was before they videotaped the second interview), the end result was the same.

So I do it now only as a goof at the end of a nice day's visit to NYC. And I also view these little episodes as small moral victories, because they've never ever stumped me on the content, the substance - the written test. I've passed each and every one, year after year.

And believe it or not, I'm not some hideous ogre with the social graces of a damp sponge... I'm intelligent, personable, likable, outgoing, and "the funniest person I know" to most of my friends and many of my co-workers.

But I don't fit the demographic role that they are trying to cast, and I don't have a gimmick or a "hook". Not to belittle your accomplishment, Frogman, because I truly am happy for you, but basically blurting out "I have 10 kids!" as the first thing to the interviewer is one helluva hook.

There's just nothing that *unusual* in my life. I have a regular job, the house with the white picket fence and the requisite 2.2 kids. I've been tempted to put under 'Occupation' on the application something along the lines of "Trans-gendered lion tamer" or "Sky-diving instructor for the blind" to get a rise out of them, but they probably wouldn't even read it.

Anywho, go get 'em at your taping, Frogman. Show them what a MAWG can do when given the chance!

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Re: Thanks for the encouraging words Frogman...

#142 Post by frogman042 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:15 am

EgregiousPhilbin wrote:... but I've been doing this too long now (nearly 8 years) to believe that I have a chance. Even the year when I was granted a second interview (this was before they videotaped the second interview), the end result was the same.

So I do it now only as a goof at the end of a nice day's visit to NYC. And I also view these little episodes as small moral victories, because they've never ever stumped me on the content, the substance - the written test. I've passed each and every one, year after year.

And believe it or not, I'm not some hideous ogre with the social graces of a damp sponge... I'm intelligent, personable, likable, outgoing, and "the funniest person I know" to most of my friends and many of my co-workers.

But I don't fit the demographic role that they are trying to cast, and I don't have a gimmick or a "hook". Not to belittle your accomplishment, Frogman, because I truly am happy for you, but basically blurting out "I have 10 kids!" as the first thing to the interviewer is one helluva hook.

There's just nothing that *unusual* in my life. I have a regular job, the house with the white picket fence and the requisite 2.2 kids. I've been tempted to put under 'Occupation' on the application something along the lines of "Trans-gendered lion tamer" or "Sky-diving instructor for the blind" to get a rise out of them, but they probably wouldn't even read it.

Anywho, go get 'em at your taping, Frogman. Show them what a MAWG can do when given the chance!
I can understand the frustration, I hope I didn't sound condescending... I too thought the 10 kids was a great hook (but I'm not enough of a game show geek to say that the reason I had 10 kids was to get on a game show) but it wasn't enough to get me on Jeopardy - I passed the test twice (before they started doing the on-line test) the few times I was in LA for work, and the 10 kids wasn't sufficient to get me on. Also, at my table when I auditioned was someone who passed the test 7 times and was not a MAWG, but she still never got a happy card. In addition, my 2nd video interviewer didn't even mention the 10 kids aspect but did spend some time asking me about Austin - including what is the nickname of the city (The Live Music Capital of the World!) - so I guess what I'm saying is don't give up. Based on my limited data/knowledge of the process, I would guess that there is a 1 in 30 to 50 shot of being selected, so it may not be strictly a bias against MAWGs, but just statistics.

KillerTomato

#143 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:54 am

KillerTomato's <I>friend</I>, auditioned June 14, passed written test,:-(

Got back from my vacation last night to find out that my friend had bad news in his mailbox. He will likely not try again this year, but is looking forward to another pilgrimage to NYC next year!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#144 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:36 am

KillerTomato wrote:KillerTomato's <I>friend</I>, auditioned June 14, passed written test,:-(

Got back from my vacation last night to find out that my friend had bad news in his mailbox. He will likely not try again this year, but is looking forward to another pilgrimage to NYC next year!
Did your friend pass both tests?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

KillerTomato

#145 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:48 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:KillerTomato's <I>friend</I>, auditioned June 14, passed written test,:-(

Did your friend pass both tests?

Yep, and his postcard has both listed.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

cheetah1

#146 Post by cheetah1 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:38 am

Hi Killer Tomato,

Did he have one postcard, with the special audition highlighted

on the postcard?

Thanks.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#147 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:44 am

Vacation? What was that cruise all about anyway?

My condolences to your friend. I like your friend's attitude. I doubt I would be so nice about it.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

KillerTomato

#148 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:55 am

cheetah1 wrote:Hi Killer Tomato,

Did he have one postcard, with the special audition highlighted

on the postcard?

Thanks.

One postcard, with "Regular/Netflix" written (no highlighting) on it.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

KillerTomato

#149 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:04 pm

kayrharris wrote:Vacation? What was that cruise all about anyway?

My condolences to your friend. I like your friend's attitude. I doubt I would be so nice about it.

This was just a weekend (sort of, from Wed. through Sat.) in Vegas for the 4th.

I was comped the hotel, and got a cheap airfare. It was brutally hot, and Harrah's has an awful pool (compared to every other hotel I've stayed at in Vegas), but I had a very, very lucky time at the tables (let's just say that the next couple of trips I take out there are already paid for), played some NTN with my old friends, lost my voice singing at the dueling piano show with Phee and Uly...it was a terrific couple of days.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

idream

#150 Post by idream » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:27 pm

New here, but thought I'd mention my audition! I passed the written test and got the second/taped interview on July 3. Now the interminable wait... :)