For those who are interested......

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
eyégor
???????

For those who are interested......

#1 Post by eyégor » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:17 am

Let me allow you into the convoluted thought process that led us here today.

I am going to work off of DK's testosterone post so I can answer everything
DevilKitty100 wrote: ADULATION??? For what? Paying $35 (or so) to register a domain name and set up a bulletin bored that anyone with a modicum of techno savvy could have done.
But didn't. No, I didn't either. Often, in hindsight, the obvious solution is much easier to see than prior to implementation.
DevilKitty100 wrote: While I'm glad to have a place where everyone can gather, this process is leaving me a little queasy. First the TOTAL lack of input from our membership, except the ones who set this place up, and then, secondly the TOTAL lack of input, except for the ones who set this place up, as to who the moderators would be. Yep, leaving me a little cold.
This baffles me, I must admit. There was a survey via e-mail. BobJuch & Bob#s both put polls on their site. All the candidate boreds had an ongoing discussion regarding our options. All of this was taken into account.

Did I have authority to issue (or drive for that matter) a fiat? Hell no! what I did have were 2 things. One wasn't available to the membership. That would be the totality of the opinions on the matter. What wasn't displayed in the interim results I posted were the many e-mails that I received that indicated a desire to go somewhere, ANYWHERE and to do it quickly. More than one person expressed a fear that, unless we had a quick resolution, some of us would be lost at sea.

The second thing I had was the knowledge that, regardless of the issue, no horse is safe around us, even after death. We often practice true democracy here, with all its flaws, including someone with authority to cut off debate. If every change was opened to the 150± who have been active since the TUB launched, we would literally talked ourselves to death.
DevilKitty100 wrote: Are there rules? Are we to bow to mecca before we log in? Can we curse? Can we be disagreeable? Can we not be "in the clique" and still have posting privileges? Can we step on toes?
I like lb's response to this. Anyone who has been around long enough to remember the Chat Elitism debates knows my attitude toward cliques. (and much of what we are now discussing)

The selection of moderators was simple. The Bobs, Ed & myself were made moderators because of the efforts each made to keep us together. This isn't a consequence of not having created the 'winning' bored, but rather an acknowledgment that they have shown their dedication to this little group was noted.
Given that dedication, it was felt that they would not shirk their duties. Beast's inclusion should be obvious, given the bookkeeping he has done, irrespective of the streak.And tubadave, well, he is Junior Bored Historian. You can also look at the membership list and make your own deduction.
DevilKitty100 wrote: All way too dictatorial and secretive for my taste. Adulation, indeed. My cup runneth over.
I always said that DK shouldn't be so reluctant to express her opinions

This bored went up before I was able to discuss the use of v3 of the software. If it isn't to difficult a migration, there may be an upgrade in our future.

To those of you who were offended by my actions yesterday, I sincerely apologize. In no way did I want to disenfranchise anyone. But the time for debate was passing, and so was the chance of timely notice of where we ended up to all of those who have lost their way. It was of them that my thoughts were focused. If I crunched some toes in so doing, again, I'm sorry.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:27 am

a big fat

MWAH

to both of you.

I adore dk and her style makes me a bit moist.

I adore how eyegor responds.

I love this place, no matter where this place is.

Bixby17

#3 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks for working on this. Any time that there is change in anything and you are creating something, there's always going to be those who question stuff because change is often disconcerting.

My questions. What is the function of the mods? What sorts of things can they see on the back end of this stuff that we can't see? I've been a moderator for a while for a Houston Texans MB, and I know what sorts of things I am able to do there and information I am able to see there.

Mods don't have to do anything, but if you have a moderator who gets panty wadded, they can do all sorts of mischief. I'm not saying anything about this particular group of mods, I'm just saying.

I think sometimes people have concerns about privacy.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:45 am

Bixby17 wrote:My questions. What is the function of the mods? What sorts of things can they see on the back end of this stuff that we can't see? I've been a moderator for a while for a Houston Texans MB, and I know what sorts of things I am able to do there and information I am able to see there.

Mods don't have to do anything, but if you have a moderator who gets panty wadded, they can do all sorts of mischief. I'm not saying anything about this particular group of mods, I'm just saying.

I think sometimes people have concerns about privacy.
I presume they would have power to boot people off should there be a need (such as a Morlock invasion or something similar). That means they would be able to see the user data. I don't have a problem with that - it's the same as for the Phoenix sites and I don't recall anyone complaining. Of course maybe it's the large number of moderators - is there really a need for that many and who decides who they are? As for me, I'm just glad we seem to have settled on a new home.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:48 am

Bixby17 wrote:My questions. What is the function of the mods?
That's actually explained in the FAQ. (Yes, this new Bored has an FAQ!)

faq.php#29

What our moderators will do with all this power is another question. :twisted:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:02 am

WWTBAM Bored FAQ wrote:Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.

Ick! I forgot about the thread locking feature on this format! I don't like that at all, even though I'm sure there are times that some wished certain threads got locked....

As for that last part, given the nature and culture of this community over the years, I do not believe it should apply. I am firmly against the deleting of any posts, and would hope the subject never even has to come up...

lb13

Bixby17

#7 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:13 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
WWTBAM Bored FAQ wrote:Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.

Ick! I forgot about the thread locking feature on this format! I don't like that at all, even though I'm sure there are times that some wished certain threads got locked....

As for that last part, given the nature and culture of this community over the years, I do not believe it should apply. I am firmly against the deleting of any posts, and would hope the subject never even has to come up...

lb13
We have a pretty ordered community without moderation, but I do think that it should be made clear what their roles will and will not be.

I would hope that mod powers would just be break glass in case of dire dire dire dire dire emergency.

For example, I am guessing that the moderators have access to IP address information so that if someone made up a AC to do mischief, the moderators would know who that is. Correct?

That's something that at least some folks would want to know. You would think that everyone here would realize that, but I know at least one person who went to my sister's website and said some nice things in her comments but also some really ugly things too. Under different names. But WHOOPS surprise, she could see the IP address stuff and knew it was the same person. And asked me what that persons deal was.

So, what personal data do the mods have access to? Or the bored admin for that matter?

Can they go into people's PM accounts for example?

We have had some fairly sane members of our community go off the reservation in the past. Mod powers can do all sorts of mischieivty if someone chooses to do that. As I said before, I'm not saying that any of these mods would do this, but I am just saying.

Maybe that's why some people feel a little weird having mods that have that power (even if they promise not to do squat) without having much of a say of who those people are.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:14 am

littlebeast13 wrote: As for that last part, given the nature and culture of this community over the years, I do not believe it should apply. I am firmly against the deleting of any posts, and would hope the subject never even has to come up...
Most of us are well enough behaved that the situation will likely never arise, but this is an open board where anyone can register and post. I'm sure you can imagine situations where intruders post something that should be removed.

And I trust our moderators not to abuse their power.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:18 am

Bixby17 wrote:Maybe that's why some people feel a little weird having mods that have that power (even if they promise not to do squat) without having much of a say of who those people are.
Should we have a moderator election?

Heck, I'll throw my hat in the ring...

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#10 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: As for that last part, given the nature and culture of this community over the years, I do not believe it should apply. I am firmly against the deleting of any posts, and would hope the subject never even has to come up...
Most of us are well enough behaved that the situation will likely never arise, but this is an open board where anyone can register and post. I'm sure you can imagine situations where intruders post something that should be removed.

And I trust our moderators not to abuse their power.
I can't tell you how hard it is not to log in as Bored_Moderator, and start abusing some MM power.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

christie1111
11:11

Thank you all!

#11 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:35 am

Count me as one of the people to be happy to have a new home.

I believe you all tried to please as many of us as possible.

Count me in the pleased category.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:41 am

Spread around a few pillows, maybe some candles, and we'll be comfy before you know it.

Thanks muchly to those dedicated individuals who work(ed) hard to keep us together.

t.

eyégor
???????

#13 Post by eyégor » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:45 am

Bixby17 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
We have a pretty ordered community without moderation, but I do think that it should be made clear what their roles will and will not be.

I would hope that mod powers would just be break glass in case of dire dire dire dire dire emergency.

For example, I am guessing that the moderators have access to IP address information so that if someone made up a AC to do mischief, the moderators would know who that is. Correct?

That's something that at least some folks would want to know. You would think that everyone here would realize that, but I know at least one person who went to my sister's website and said some nice things in her comments but also some really ugly things too. Under different names. But WHOOPS surprise, she could see the IP address stuff and knew it was the same person. And asked me what that persons deal was.

So, what personal data do the mods have access to? Or the bored admin for that matter?

Can they go into people's PM accounts for example?

We have had some fairly sane members of our community go off the reservation in the past. Mod powers can do all sorts of mischieivty if someone chooses to do that. As I said before, I'm not saying that any of these mods would do this, but I am just saying.

Maybe that's why some people feel a little weird having mods that have that power (even if they promise not to do squat) without having much of a say of who those people are.
Mods do have access to IP addresses. They do not have access to PM accounts

I do not expect much, if any, moderator activity.

Bixby17

#14 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 am

eyégor wrote: Mods do have access to IP addresses. They do not have access to PM accounts

I do not expect much, if any, moderator activity.
As this is different than our previous houses, I figured people would want to know.

Does an admin have access to PM accounts?

Is there any other private information that admin/mods have access to other than IP addresses?

I think transparency grows trust, and makes sure nobody gets surprised by stuff. I just want to add that I am not beyotching at all, I'm just airing this stuff out up front so that everyone feels more comfortable about things.

Sir_Galahad

#15 Post by Sir_Galahad » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:00 am

Personally, I am happy with this location. If we have folks who volunteer to handle the reigns, I'm fine with that. If there are others that object to this, there are a couple of other Boreds available. If I had the time, I would have volunteered myself to help set this up. But, it seems that those who have done so have done a fine job of it. I am glad to have one location where the mass will gather and resume the blather.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

eyégor
???????

#16 Post by eyégor » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:04 am

Bixby17 wrote:
Does an admin have access to PM accounts?

Is there any other private information that admin/mods have access to other than IP addresses?
I don't know what Admin rights have access to. e-mails are not available to mods, as far as I can see. It looks like only IP addresses that I can find Re: personal info