60 years ago today (Re: 50 years ago today)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

60 years ago today (Re: 50 years ago today)

#1 Post by jarnon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:32 am

We lost President John Kennedy.

Those of us who were old enough will never forget that day.

(And I got the number of years right this time.)
Last edited by jarnon on Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

elwoodblues

Re: 50 years ago today

#2 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:51 am

It happened on my sixth birthday.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:59 am

And now it's true on official Bored time.

Happy birthday, Elwood. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:00 am

Wait! What's going on? Is the Bored's clock off by a minute or so? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

#5 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks. It is after 2am here, and I am posting this from work.

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 am

I thought Central time (UTC - 5 hours) was the official Bored time.

I noticed a while ago that the Bored clock was 1 minute off.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 am

jarnon wrote:I thought Central time (UTC - 5 hours) was the official Bored time.

I noticed a while ago that the Bored clock was 1 minute off.
The original Bored was hosted in California. Ever since then, Pacific Time has been official Bored time.

Bu since the assassination occurred in the Central Time Zone . . . . --Bob

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:39 am

I was in 8th grade during the 25th anniversary, and I was in my art class (ironically, the only one I ever took) when they played a recording of the news report from the assassination over the PA, followed by an announcement from the principal of my junior high that it was 25 years ago at that exact time that JFK had been shot. Kinda creepy, especially since it was an unannounced remembrance... and not exactly something the students could even relate to since we did not live through it...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

elwoodblues

#9 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:59 am

I no longer say where I was because I have found that if you are that old no one is listening to you anyway.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:36 am

elwoodblues wrote:I no longer say where I was because I have found that if you are that old no one is listening to you anyway.
Excuse me....did you say something? :x

Happy birthday!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:13 am

elwoodblues wrote:I no longer say where I was because I have found that if you are that old no one is listening to you anyway.
Hey, I figure that my age cohort are the youngest people alive who can remember it. I don't have any personal memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the year before that, for instance.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:19 am

Are you sure it's not because you were on some grassy knoll? --Bob

bazodee

#13 Post by bazodee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:48 am

C. S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley also both died on November 22, 1963.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:55 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Hey, I figure that my age cohort are the youngest people alive who can remember it. I don't have any personal memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the year before that, for instance.
I was in seventh grade, and I remember our last class of the day was social studies and our teacher, Mr. Vickers, used to brag that he had been the only Republican mayor of some small town in Georgia (back then there were no Republican elected officials in Georgia or most other places in the South). He used to discuss politics in class, but I don't remember any of the details. I do remember going into class and talking with one of my classmates and saying that Mr. Vickers was going to be real happy about this.

Wrong. He spent the entire hour talking about what a horrible thing this was for the country and how political disagreements should never lead to something like this. I wound up respecting him tremendously after that.

Sadly, I think that attitude is completely gone today on both sides of the aisle. If Obama (or a Republican president) were shot, you'd see some really sick comments flying all over the place on the internet.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 am

bazodee wrote:C. S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley also both died on November 22, 1963.
It's a conspiracy.

ne1410s

#16 Post by ne1410s » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:40 pm

The entire senior class was in the cafeteria taking some kind of standardized test. Frank Baxter, a junior who worked in the high school office, came to the door of the cafeteria and called for Rich McKillip, our guidance counselor, who was administering the test. Mr. McKillip came to the front and announced that the president had been shot. We went back to our answer sheets as ordered. An hour later our principal came on the p.a. And told of the death of our president. The next three days were a blur of nearly palpable grief.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

christie1111
11:11

#17 Post by christie1111 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I am too young to have any recollection of this day at all.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
I was in seventh grade, and I remember our last class of the day was social studies and our teacher, Mr. Vickers, used to brag that he had been the only Republican mayor of some small town in Georgia (back then there were no Republican elected officials in Georgia or most other places in the South). He used to discuss politics in class, but I don't remember any of the details. I do remember going into class and talking with one of my classmates and saying that Mr. Vickers was going to be real happy about this.

Wrong. He spent the entire hour talking about what a horrible thing this was for the country and how political disagreements should never lead to something like this. I wound up respecting him tremendously after that.

Sadly, I think that attitude is completely gone today on both sides of the aisle. If Obama (or a Republican president) were shot, you'd see some really sick comments flying all over the place on the internet.

What's even more sad is that in 7th grade, your prejudices were already so ingrained that you believed an individual would be happy about the assassination of their president simply because of that individual's party affiliation. Very telling.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

themanintheseersuckersuit

#19 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm

I saw a tweet today from someone who said he remembered hearing that President Kennedy had been shot. It was 8th grade history class, twenty five years ago.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

What's even more sad is that in 7th grade, your prejudices were already so ingrained that you believed an individual would be happy about the assassination of their president simply because of that individual's party affiliation. Very telling.
You're assuming way too much. He said Mr. Vickers used to discuss politics in class. He probably made it clear that he did not like JFK.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:37 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: I do remember going into class and talking with one of my classmates and saying that Mr. Vickers was going to be real happy about this.
No, it reflects a seventh grader's rather limited understanding of the world and especially of one particular teacher. For what it's worth, the girl I was talking to (and I don't even remember her name but I had kind of a crush on her back then) and I agreed on this, and there was a sense of anticipation in the class waiting for him to say something. My politics were certainly not well formed back then: i probably couldn't have told you much about exactly what each party stood for (and I voted for Nixon in the class mock election because it seemed like most of the other kids were voting for Nixon).

I do remember my father telling me about a number of the GIs he was serving with in Europe who were very happy to hear about FDR's death, and there were also a number of people happy that MLK and Bobby Kennedy were killed.

smilergrogan

#22 Post by smilergrogan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm

This thread's too depressing. Anyone want to guess what movie was #1 at the box office 50 years ago today?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:53 pm

smilergrogan wrote:This thread's too depressing. Anyone want to guess what movie was #1 at the box office 50 years ago today?

Our American Cousin?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:04 pm

I remember my teacher saying, after the pa announcement, "now the shit's hit the fan," and we were stunned about the event and that our teacher had cussed. With that said, even tho no one in our immediate vicinity was a Democrat, everyone knew how horrible this was. You don't kill the prez of the US.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#25 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

You're assuming way too much. He said Mr. Vickers used to discuss politics in class. He probably made it clear that he did not like JFK.
No, that's the impression I got from the post, too. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you would be happy about a death. I don't remember anyone thinking/saying that, or it entering one's mind.
Well, then