Transcript 10/08/07 Marianne Tertan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/08/07 Marianne Tertan

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 am

Marianne Tertan
Weston, FL
Court Reporter

$100 The term "pickup line" refers to a friendly statement a person makes in order to do what?
A. Order a meal
B. Meet a stranger
C. Answer the telephone
D. Alienate women

$200 At the age of two, who had a putting contest with Bob Hope on "The Mike Douglas Show"?
A. Barry Bonds
B. Lance Armstrong
C. Tiger Woods
D. Shaquille O'Neal

$300 The common proverb "blood is thicker than water" emphasizes the importance of what?
A. Wealth
B. Family
C. Beauty
D. Youth

$500 Which of these organizations' names sounds like the name of a flat, round bread that has a pocket to hold fillings?
A. PETA
B. NASA
C. UNICEF
D. OPEC

$1K How many U.S. states have the word "South" in their names?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4

$2K The signature color of brass results from the alloy being composed mostly of what metal?
A. Silver
B. Lead
C. Iron
D. Copper

ATA

2% A. Silver
0% B. Lead
5% C. Iron
93% D. Copper

commercial break

$4K In the "Lord of the Rings" movies, which of these creatures is usually the shortest?
A. Hobbit
B. Wizard
C. Orc
D. Elf

PAF - John, Marianne's son

John says that he would think the elf is the shortest, but is not entirely sure.

Marianne goes with elf and leaves with $1K.

Answers:
$100 B. Meet a stranger
$200 C. Tiger Woods
$300 B. Family
$500 A. PETA
$1K B. 2
$2K D. Copper
$4K A. Hobbit

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/08/07 Marianne Tertan

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Marianne Tertan
Weston, FL
But originally from NYC--a Where Elser retired to warmer climes!

And the first of a mini-streak of senior citizen contestants! This one being a biker mama with a discrete tatoo of a shamrock on her shoulder.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $4K In the "Lord of the Rings" movies, which of these creatures is usually the shortest?
A. Hobbit
B. Wizard
C. Orc
D. Elf

PAF - John, Marianne's son

John says that he would think the elf is the shortest, but is not entirely sure.

Marianne goes with elf and leaves with $1K.
Ouch! A shout-out to earendel, and John gets a little confused. He also asked during the PAF call, "An elf is a dwarf?" No, John.

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/08/07 Marianne Tertan

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:39 am

Since it seems that this is "home", I'll only post my comments here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Marianne Tertan
Weston, FL
Court Reporter

$2K The signature color of brass results from the alloy being composed mostly of what metal?
A. Silver
B. Lead
C. Iron
D. Copper
If she had taken the time to think this through she might have come up with the right answer. After all, only one of the four is anywhere close to the same color as brass.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K In the "Lord of the Rings" movies, which of these creatures is usually the shortest?
A. Hobbit
B. Wizard
C. Orc
D. Elf
Hey, I get a shout-out (although for an elf I'd be considered the runt of the litter.

The movies got this wrong in one aspect - in the books Elves were generally described as being taller than Men (except for the Numenoreans, from whom Aragorn was descended). As for Hobbits, Professor Tolkien described them as being shorter than the Dwarves, noting that the tallest Hobbit of antiquity, Isingrim II, topped out at slightly over 4' tall.

As for the PAF, all I can say is <sigh>.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:54 am

$4K: Not a LOTR fan, so I would've needed the audience's help. I had it down to hobbit and elf, leaning toward elf.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:27 pm

4K: As I said already over on the BobJ board, modern Celtoid fantasy, as well as LOTR stuff, has tall skinny delicate-featured elves. Well, pointy-cheekboned, long-fingered, both men & women. Etc.

But in you were raised on Tinkerbell, but not a modern-fantasy fan, even knowing that hobbits are short you'd be inclined to think the fairies way shorter.

Sigh.