Lyrically Speaking - 1/21/13

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Lyrically Speaking - 1/21/13

#26 Post by Estonut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 am

littlebeast13
It's that day everyone has been waiting for..... National Squirrel Appreciation Day!!!

First, a note about today's avatar. It will not win, and it is not necessarily representative of any endorsement of the artist for or against any particular football outcome. It is merely me admitting defeat, and doing my pennance for putting the Ravens in the Super Bowl. How can I take the credit for that, you ask, since I haven't played a down of football since high school PE class? A few weeks ago, I learned that Ray Lewis' noted seizure he has as he comes out of the tunnel on game day was called the Squirrel Dance... and I thought it would be cute to point that out with a post on my blog on the day after Lewis played his final game... along with the standard cheesy post title "Nevermore". Well, that pretty much assured Baltimore they would never be eliminated from postseason play... and that's exactly what happened. I apologize profusely to all Colts, Broncos, and Patriots fans out there. I do admit, though, MBRS looks pretty good in purple.... then again, what doesn't go well on her?

Oh, and it does happen to be the first day of the 2013 Lyrically Speaking Winter/Spring Extravaganza!!! How about that, two wonderful noteworthy things happening today! If you haven't read the official rules, now's the time to track them down! I hope you all enjoy this year's game, and I hope many of you play along with us this year! Don't worry if you're no good with music, Marley and DK have the basement well stocked with goodies!

Mondays this year will be Encore Mondays, meaning I have taken old ideas from past LSWE games and just switched up the songs. Today's game brings back the theme of spoken lyrics, which I originally used on 1/8/10. All of the snippets from songs below are spoken rather than sung. Can you talk out the answers today? Will you hug a squirrel? Do you think President Whatshisname will mention what an honor it is to be sworn in on Squirrel Day?

Ahhh, on with it. You know how to play! Good luck, and after the 2 week delay, let's finally kick this thing off!

1 point for the title, 1 point for the artist...

1. I'm a driver
I'm a winner
Things are gonna change I can feel it

Loser - Beck

2. You broke my heart
Cause I couldn't dance
You didn't even want me around
And now I'm back to let you know
I can really shake 'em down

Hooligan - NBB

3. And though my friends just might ask me
They say, Martin, maybe one day
You'll find true love
I say, maybe, there must be a solution
To the one thing, the one thing
We can't find

The Look of Love - ABC
I think I've mentioned before that "The Lexicon of Love" was one of the first 5 CDs I bought, when I got my first CD player in 1984.

4. OK, Tokyo
South America, Australia
France, Germany, UK, Africa

Dancing in the Streets - I can only come up with the Bowie/Jagger cover

5. Please operator
See what you can do
I dialed the right number
But I still couldn't get though
Would you just check the line
Just one more time if you can
I'm pretty sure my phone wouldn't be answered by no man

Who's That with Linda? - The BJs

6. You know who you are
High fivin', talking shit
But you're going home alone, aren'tcha?

Imaginary Squirrel - Manti T'eo

7. He sort of smiled and kissed me goodbye
The tears were beginning to show
As he drove away on that rainy night
I begged him to go slow
But whether he heard, I'll never know

I Can't Drive 55 - Jan Berry

8. Be quiet, big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry

I'm Not in Love - 10cc

9. Have you seen Junior's grades?

And the Cradle Will Rock - Van Halen

10. This is United States calling, are we reaching...?

Young Lust - Pink Floyd

11. Now wait a minute, y'all
This dance ain't for everybody
Only the sexy people
So all you fly mothers, get on out there and dance
Dance, I said!

Dance Goddammit - Sparks

12. This ain't no disco
This ain't no country club either,
This is L.A.

All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow (I saw her open for Crowded House once, before most people knew who she was)

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist that contains spoken lyrics, and get a bonus point for giving a sample of the spoken lyrics from that song.

Far Away Eyes - The Stones
"I was driving home, early Sunday morning through Bakersfield, listening to gospel music on the colored radio station."

5 Point Bonus: The hit "song" Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) was a speech directed at the graduating class of what year?

Nope.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mrkelley23

#27 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 am

NSAD
It's that day everyone has been waiting for..... National Squirrel Appreciation Day!!!

First, a note about today's avatar. It will not win, and it is not necessarily representative of any endorsement of the artist for or against any particular football outcome. It is merely me admitting defeat, and doing my pennance for putting the Ravens in the Super Bowl. How can I take the credit for that, you ask, since I haven't played a down of football since high school PE class? A few weeks ago, I learned that Ray Lewis' noted seizure he has as he comes out of the tunnel on game day was called the Squirrel Dance... and I thought it would be cute to point that out with a post on my blog on the day after Lewis played his final game... along with the standard cheesy post title "Nevermore". Well, that pretty much assured Baltimore they would never be eliminated from postseason play... and that's exactly what happened. I apologize profusely to all Colts, Broncos, and Patriots fans out there. I do admit, though, MBRS looks pretty good in purple.... then again, what doesn't go well on her?

Oh, and it does happen to be the first day of the 2013 Lyrically Speaking Winter/Spring Extravaganza!!! How about that, two wonderful noteworthy things happening today! If you haven't read the official rules, now's the time to track them down! I hope you all enjoy this year's game, and I hope many of you play along with us this year! Don't worry if you're no good with music, Marley and DK have the basement well stocked with goodies!

Mondays this year will be Encore Mondays, meaning I have taken old ideas from past LSWE games and just switched up the songs. Today's game brings back the theme of spoken lyrics, which I originally used on 1/8/10. All of the snippets from songs below are spoken rather than sung. Can you talk out the answers today? Will you hug a squirrel? Do you think President Whatshisname will mention what an honor it is to be sworn in on Squirrel Day?

Ahhh, on with it. You know how to play! Good luck, and after the 2 week delay, let's finally kick this thing off!

1. I'm a driver
I'm a winner

I'll play Sarah Palin in the movie -- Danica Patrick

2. You broke my heart
Cause I couldn't dance

Do Ya Love Me -- The Contours

You'll find true love
We can't find

The Look of Love -- ABC

4. OK, Tokyo
South America, Australia

Dancin in the Streets -- David Bowie and Mick Jagger version

5. Please operator
See what you can do

Some strange cover version of Operator, Manhattan Transfer version?

6. You know who you are

Arrivederci Roma -- Pat Boone

I begged him to go slow

Leader of the Pack -- The Shangri-Las

Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry

I'm Not in Love -- 10cc

Rock and Roll High School -- The Ramones

Only the sexy people
Dance, I said!

Push it -- Salt n Pepa

12. This ain't no disco
This is L.A.

Not the Talking Heads, but that song by Sheryl Crow, um, All I Wanna Do is Have Some Fun, final answer.

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist that contains spoken lyrics, and get a bonus point for giving a sample of the spoken lyrics from that song.

" I wonder if you're lonesome tonight. You know someone said the world's a stage...." from Are You lonesome tonight -- Elvis Presley

5 Point Bonus: The hit "song" Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) was a speech directed at the graduating class of what year? No idea, so guess 2000.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

DevilKitty100

#28 Post by DevilKitty100 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 am

littlebeast13 wrote:It's that day everyone has been waiting for..... National Squirrel Appreciation Day!!!

1. I'm a driver
I'm a winner

2. You broke my heart
Cause I couldn't dance

You'll find true love
We can't find

4. OK, Tokyo
South America, Australia

5. Please operator
See what you can do

6. You know who you are

I begged him to go slow

Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry

Only the sexy people
Dance, I said!

12. This ain't no disco
This is L.A.

5 Point Bonus: The hit "song" Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) was a speech directed at the graduating class of what year?
Spoiler
Excuse me, Marley.........May I sit next to you??

And we're off......I not not only am exceedingly late, I don't know jackshit.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#29 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 am

1. I'm a driver
I'm a winner
Loser - Beck (I don't hate this song, I just like "Where It's At" better and wish that had become the song that survived to get the airplay...)

2. You broke my heart
Cause I couldn't dance
Do You Love Me - Contours

You'll find true love
We can't find
The Look of Love - ABC (One of my favorite music videos...)

4. OK, Tokyo
South America, Australia
Dancing in the Streets - David Bowie and Mick Jagger (Another great music video, and the stop-action of Mick and David close enough to kiss cracks me up every time....)

5. Please operator
See what you can do
Mr. Telephone Man - New Edition

6. You know who you are
U + Ur Hand - Pink (I'm gonna dress up like a slut and down a few drinks and dance at the club tonight! I sure hope I don't get hit on! Yeah, whatever Alecia....)

I begged him to go slow
Leader of the Pack - Shangri-Las

Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
Big boys don't cry
I'm Not In Love - 10cc (Damn, I was hoping with Eyegor back around he'd play so he could answer his all time favorite song!)

The Cradle Will Rock - Van Halen

Young Lust - Pink Floyd (This song is played as a single track on the classic rock station we always listened to at work back in the day, so I had no idea this bit bridged into another track....)

Only the sexy people
Dance, I said!
Push It - Sisyph.... er, Salt N Pepa

12. This ain't no disco
This is L.A.
All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow (The pride of the bootheel of Missouri)

5 Point Bonus: The hit "song" Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) was a speech directed at the graduating class of what year? - 1999

The "song" was released in 1999 (My first full year at Mecca, as well as the year I listened to Mix 93.7, and I always associate it with both), and I was pretty sure it was addressed to the Class of '99 (which listening to the original on YouTube confirms). However, a lot of lyrics sites list it as the Class of 1997... and this is apparently because the essay that inspired the "song" was written in, and addressed to the Class of '97. Since nobody said 1997, that was a moot point, but only one player chimed in with 1999, and that was elwood. Congrats on being the only one to nab the opening 5 point bonus!
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:44 am

JJC Points:

mntetn gets 2 JJC points for being the first player of the 2013 LSWE...

Fanny gets 2 JJC points for being too slow and for Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike...

frank gets a JJC point for losing his partner Phyllis...

smiler gets 2 JJC points for Ray Lewis and the Playboys...

mini gets 3 JJC points for a classic display of cluelessness, and for Kroxing a song I yanked out of this game to put in another one (SPOILER ALERT!!!)....

Beebs gets the first supermax of the year, and I hope she keeps on playing even if she doesn't get a single song right! That Ed Gein is a musical genius...

Jessie is back, and she gets a supermax! Cute squirrel, referencing the wrong ABC video, hating on Mick and Davy, and fixing Vincent Price's lyrics.... all classic!

Krox gets a JJC point because his answer to #8 made me laugh even though it was a serious answer...

Marley gets a JJC point for another Town Pants Krox...

vettech gets a JJC point for accepting my apology...

TBone gets 3 JJC points for tying #5 and #6 together, as well as a great Yosemite Sam reference...

elwood gets a supermax capped off by a splendid job of working in the LBN....

starfish gets 3 JJC points for the gay references, and in hopes that he will be as regular as he can be this year since he is one of my favorite players...

Vandal gets a JJC point for The Cradle Will Fall....

Esto gets a supermax for his (ouch) answers, and for his Krox, which I had totally forgotten about! They played the video for it from time to time on VH1-C, and it kinda grew on me...

mrkelley gets a JJC point for connecting Danica Patrick to Sarah Palin...

DK gets a JJC point for not knowing jackshit, and to keep her from falling too far behind Marley....

Hopefully I remembered to give everyone who gave their spoken lyrics snippet the extra point....

mntetn 9+2
Fanny 21+2
frank 6+1
smiler 6+2
mini 20+3
Beebs 0+5
Jessie 12+5
Weasel 12
Hottie (YAY!!!) 14
Krox 7+1
Marley 2+1
vettech 19+1
TBone 19+3
elwood 16+5
starfish 17+3
mikehardware 6
vandal 11+1
Saucy 3
Bob 3
Confessor 9
Esto 17+5
mrkelley 17+1
DK 0+1
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

clem21
Nose Exploder

#31 Post by clem21 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:35 am

Dammit! I'm so pissed that I missed this game ESPECIALLY since no one put in the best krox of them all:
"Oh, my, god. Becky, look at her butt. It is so big...."
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

Snow Globe Ass
Merry Man

#32 Post by Snow Globe Ass » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 am

clem21 wrote:Dammit! I'm so pissed that I missed this game ESPECIALLY since no one put in the best krox of them all:

Thank you for remembering me! Wanna introduce me to your anaconda?
You like big butts and you cannot lie!!!!

vettech

#33 Post by vettech » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

clem21 wrote:Dammit! I'm so pissed that I missed this game ESPECIALLY since no one put in the best krox of them all:
I had that one as an afterthought. Sorry to have dissapointed you!

eyégor
???????

#34 Post by eyégor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I missed the LSWSSF&AOSTICTOE that had the song that makes me want to juggle chainsaws blindfolded after a 3 day bender?

The Just ain't no justice...

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#35 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
TBone gets 3 JJC points for tying #5 and #6 together, as well as a great Yosemite Sam reference...
Best Looney Tunes character ever. And there are PLENTY of great ones to pick from.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck