SAVE OUR BORED!!!!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: SAVE OUR BORED!!!!

#26 Post by kayrharris » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I don't know what list Bob### refers to when he says guess who is #7, but I don't think I'm anywhere close to the top of anything around here.

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 am

kayrharris wrote:I don't know what list Bob### refers to when he says guess who is #7, but I don't think I'm anywhere close to the top of anything around here.

kay
This one. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#28 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 am

Is it possible that part of the problem is caused by the photos that are uploaded here? Some of them are quite large.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Vandal
Director of Promos

#29 Post by Vandal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 am

I blame the crappy promos.

Wait, that would be all of them.

Except The Bored Syndrome. I guess Uly was right after all.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:42 am

earendel wrote:Is it possible that part of the problem is caused by the photos that are uploaded here? Some of them are quite large.

The only photos uploaded to the site are the avatars. You can't post a picture on this Bored without "referring" to it from some other website....

I could post my entire ES catalogue in one post, and the only database usage would be from the text of the html I used to post them.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

John Cale
Merry Man

#31 Post by John Cale » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Sistine Fanny wrote:
Especially when they're all repeated in Every Single Post. If Bob feels that that those 4 posts per month are absolutely crucial to his post count, then maybe he could just post what otherwise could have been added to his master post?
I'd say we need them about as much as we need to create a new login identity every time the old one reaches 1,299 posts. (Note that the same database that holds posts also holds login identities.) Note also that I currently have only the 8th largest number of posts (in a single identity) on this Bored. Guess who's currently sitting at number 7.

Most of us here have our quirks. But the primary problem is that more than 5 years of posting has resulted in nearly 450,000 posts. No one thread, or person, is responsible for the Bored's performance issues. And anyone who finds the format of Bob's Log cumbersome is free to ignore it when the (single, text-only) thread gets bumped once a week. --Bob

??????????

250+ ungodly long redundant posts compared to 9 usernames that would have resulted in the same number of posts regardless of whether posted as one or split up!?!?!?

I seriously hope you don't use logic like this when making your political arguments.....

There are approximately 12,500 spammer accounts stuck in the moderation queue due to the fact that I lost the ability to mass delete them around the same time these server issues popped up. I'd say those are a much bigger drain on the Bored than even all of my Merry Men would be....

I am intensely curious, though, as to how much database space is being taken up by that one thread....

lb13
Well then you'd have to go after all the definition threads, but you asked for people to post more, not less. Or those multipage single poster political rants. But it's not just any one person or post or type of post. It's 5 years of half a million posts, and the server having to remember whether or not there are any new posts since the last time you read the thread and indicate whether or not you've posted in the thread.

I'd start with deleting everything waiting in the moderation queue, even if you have to do it one by one, knocking a bunch out every day. Anyone who really wanted to join could try to rejoin later. Then purge the fallow FNGD section if it truly is just the volume of posts.

Then get rid of all those crappy promos! Man, they waste a bunch of electrons.... :P
Don't call me JJ!!!!!!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 am

John Cale wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'd say we need them about as much as we need to create a new login identity every time the old one reaches 1,299 posts. (Note that the same database that holds posts also holds login identities.) Note also that I currently have only the 8th largest number of posts (in a single identity) on this Bored. Guess who's currently sitting at number 7.

Most of us here have our quirks. But the primary problem is that more than 5 years of posting has resulted in nearly 450,000 posts. No one thread, or person, is responsible for the Bored's performance issues. And anyone who finds the format of Bob's Log cumbersome is free to ignore it when the (single, text-only) thread gets bumped once a week. --Bob

??????????

250+ ungodly long redundant posts compared to 9 usernames that would have resulted in the same number of posts regardless of whether posted as one or split up!?!?!?

I seriously hope you don't use logic like this when making your political arguments.....

There are approximately 12,500 spammer accounts stuck in the moderation queue due to the fact that I lost the ability to mass delete them around the same time these server issues popped up. I'd say those are a much bigger drain on the Bored than even all of my Merry Men would be....

I am intensely curious, though, as to how much database space is being taken up by that one thread....

lb13
Well then you'd have to go after all the definition threads, but you asked for people to post more, not less. Or those multipage single poster political rants. But it's not just any one person or post or type of post. It's 5 years of half a million posts, and the server having to remember whether or not there are any new posts since the last time you read the thread and indicate whether or not you've posted in the thread.

I'd start with deleting everything waiting in the moderation queue, even if you have to do it one by one, knocking a bunch out every day. Anyone who really wanted to join could try to rejoin later. Then purge the fallow FNGD section if it truly is just the volume of posts.

Then get rid of all those crappy promos! Man, they waste a bunch of electrons.... :P

I was giving Bob a hard time because he was totally missing the boat on the issue that Kiki brought up....

BTW, you better go wake up the pharaoh and tell him to start knocking down all those old pyramids! :shock:

The spammer issue is a lost cause unless the queue could be blown to smithereens entirely. It takes about as long to delete them individually as it does to try to make a post on this Bored on a bad day. Get rid of 20 in one day...... BOOM! You just get 20 more new registrations by the next day....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

John Cale
Merry Man

#33 Post by John Cale » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
John Cale wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

??????????

lb13

I was giving Bob a hard time because he was totally missing the boat on the issue that Kiki brought up....

BTW, you better go wake up the pharaoh and tell him to start knocking down all those old pyramids! :shock:

The spammer issue is a lost cause unless the queue could be blown to smithereens entirely. It takes about as long to delete them individually as it does to try to make a post on this Bored on a bad day. Get rid of 20 in one day...... BOOM! You just get 20 more new registrations by the next day....

lb13
Dave can't just block new registration attempts for a week until they clear out, huh.

Everyone has something they don't like here, but it's not just one issue causing the problem. The old pyramids disrupted threads (and on purpose most of the time... :oops: ) but didn't crash the server. Bob's log is huge but very easily passed over--I don't see how anyone could be bothered by it in the least! Most of the single-issue frothers froth in a single thread because if they froth about the same thing in multiple threads like the Macy's deal we give them holy hell. It's just not one single issue or thread or bored feature; we're just dragging around 5 years of stuff in the same sized suitcase we started with, so we're travelling very slowly.
Don't call me JJ!!!!!!

John Cale
Merry Man

#34 Post by John Cale » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39 am

But I agree with everyone about those promos. They suck and totally waste space!!!!!

:P :P :P
Don't call me JJ!!!!!!

MarleysGh0st

#35 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:55 am

littlebeast13 wrote:BTW, you better go wake up the pharaoh and tell him to start knocking down all those old pyramids! :shock:
If pyramid building hadn't been outlawed, this problem would have arrived a couple years sooner! :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#36 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:55 am

John Cale wrote:Dave can't just block new registration attempts for a week until they clear out, huh.

Everyone has something they don't like here, but it's not just one issue causing the problem. The old pyramids disrupted threads (and on purpose most of the time... :oops: ) but didn't crash the server. Bob's log is huge but very easily passed over--I don't see how anyone could be bothered by it in the least! Most of the single-issue frothers froth in a single thread because if they froth about the same thing in multiple threads like the Macy's deal we give them holy hell. It's just not one single issue or thread or bored feature; we're just dragging around 5 years of stuff in the same sized suitcase we started with, so we're travelling very slowly.

How long would it take to individually delete 12,500 registrations (I was serious about that number, not exaggerating) at the rate of about one every 2 minutes (not even accounting the lost time due to server outages)? It just ain't happening....

BTW, it's interesting how in light of this, all those old methods we hated on the original Go Bored 12 years ago are now starting to make sense... how they purged past posts and limited the text you could put in a post. Maybe we should start Booching people randomly as well.... :twisted:

lb13

Vandal
Director of Promos

#37 Post by Vandal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 am

John Cale wrote:But I agree with everyone about those promos. They suck and totally waste space!!!!!

Finally, a solution we can all agree on. Uly's career may suffer, but them's the breaks.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#38 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
John Cale wrote:Dave can't just block new registration attempts for a week until they clear out, huh.

How long would it take to individually delete 12,500 registrations (I was serious about that number, not exaggerating) at the rate of about one every 2 minutes (not even accounting the lost time due to server outages)? It just ain't happening....

BTW, it's interesting how in light of this, all those old methods we hated on the original Go Bored 12 years ago are now starting to make sense... how they purged past posts and limited the text you could put in a post. Maybe we should start Booching people randomly as well.... :twisted:

lb13
I'm sure you have the entire bored archived in a notebook somewheres, so let the purging commence!! :P :P
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 am

Don't buy what the hosting company told Dave! I administer several servers that run phpBB and have never heard of it taking more RAM due to the growth of the message database.

The errors are caused by slow performance of the server that runs MySQL. That is due to other websites sharing the server using too much CPU. If it was just our database it would be a consistent problem instead of the ups and downs we're seeing.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#40 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 am

Don't buy what the hosting company told Dave! I administer several servers that run phpBB and have never heard of it taking more RAM due to the growth of the message database.

The errors are caused by slow performance of the server that runs MySQL. That is due to other websites sharing the server using too much CPU. If it was just our database it would be a consistent problem instead of the ups and downs we're seeing.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 am

clem21
Nose Exploder

#42 Post by clem21 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 am

Is it just me or does everyone agree we should be blaming Rexer for all this?
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#43 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 am

clem21 wrote:Is it just me or does everyone agree we should be blaming Rexer for all this?

You trying to put Rexer on the Fortune 500 list?

lb13

Bob Juch

#44 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
clem21 wrote:Is it just me or does everyone agree we should be blaming Rexer for all this?
You trying to put Rexer on the Fortune 500 list?

lb13
It's the Misfortune 500 (error) list.

Buffacuse

#45 Post by Buffacuse » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:40 pm

My solution to save space--a worm that deletes every other word in a post...this would lead to the following exchange between BiT and BobJ:

BiT: I (can't) support (President) Obama

BJ: I'll (never) love (that) Romney

Deliberately Provocative
Merry Man

#46 Post by Deliberately Provocative » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Buffacuse wrote:My solution to save space--a worm that deletes every other word in a post...this would lead to the following exchange between BiT and BobJ:

Beast!!: Your grand momma's not an awful astronaut!!

I'm a master baiter!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#47 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Deliberately Provocative wrote:
Buffacuse wrote:My solution to save space--a worm that deletes every other word in a post...this would lead to the following exchange between BiT and BobJ:

Beast!!: Your grand momma's not an awful astronaut!!

Beast is grand, not awful! It's true!!!

lb13