I don't understand the economics of Facebook

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

Re: I don't understand the economics of Facebook

#26 Post by Sistine Fanny » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:13 am

jaybee wrote:Something is a fad if it exists only because it is popular. Chariots are pretty much gone but were never a fad - they just got bypassed by new technology. Social networks will probably be around forever, but any single one (including Facebook) can have the lifespan of a gnat purely at the whim of the masses.

Just a few years ago, many major auto companies went through extremely hard times - only restructuring and bailouts kept them alive. They did survive because there was more to them then just 'I am going to buy a Chevy because my best friend bought one too". If Facebook ever goes through a period of even just six months where the popular belief is that it's not the place to be....then it's gone.
Fads usually die out when old people grab hold of them and youngsters have to find something else that will appall their parents.....

My Space was the place to be until everybody's parents started showing up there. Then it became uncool and the desirable demographic left for Facebook (does Tom even have any friends anymore?). I always figured that once Facebook became overrun with fogies that it would in turn be abandoned for the next big thing, which I predicted would be Twitter.

Well, I was right about Twitter being the next big thing, but I don't know if Facebook will go away and I think it's due in great part to business pages and likes. So many places now require you to go through Facebook, You go to their site, click on coupons and have to leave their OWN site to go to Facebook and like them to get the promo code. Want to see clips from the upcoming RuPaul's Drag Race All Star Season? Forget Logo, you have to go to Facebook. I've even seen a few companies that won't even let you get an account with them on their own site, you have to go to...... you guessed it. Fuck them, they obviously don't want my money very much.

If companies keep trying to force people to do as they told and people keep doing it, I can only see Facebook becoming even more pervasive and just one more step on the road to everybody having bar codes tattooed on their scalps....
It's the Final Countdown.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:If companies keep forcing people to do as they're told and people keep doing it, I can only see Facebook becoming even more pervasive and just one more step on the road to everybody having bar codes tattooed on their scalps....

I used to work with someone who had a barcode tattooed to the back of his neck....

Yes, someone did once try to scan it with one of our store's Telxons. He came up not on file....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#28 Post by minimetoo26 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:
jaybee wrote:Something is a fad if it exists only because it is popular. Chariots are pretty much gone but were never a fad - they just got bypassed by new technology. Social networks will probably be around forever, but any single one (including Facebook) can have the lifespan of a gnat purely at the whim of the masses.

Just a few years ago, many major auto companies went through extremely hard times - only restructuring and bailouts kept them alive. They did survive because there was more to them then just 'I am going to buy a Chevy because my best friend bought one too". If Facebook ever goes through a period of even just six months where the popular belief is that it's not the place to be....then it's gone.
Fads usually die out when old people grab hold of them and youngsters have to find something else that will appall their parents.....

My Space was the place to be until everybody's parents started showing up there. Then it became uncool and the desirable demographic left for Facebook (does Tom even have any friends anymore?). I always figured that once Facebook became overrun with fogies that it would in turn be abandoned for the next big thing, which I predicted would be Twitter.

Well, I was right about Twitter being the next big thing, but I don't know if Facebook will go away and I think it's due in great part to business pages and likes. So many places now require you to go through Facebook, You go to their site, click on coupons and have to leave their OWN site to go to Facebook and like them to get the promo code. Want to see clips from the upcoming RuPaul's Drag Race All Star Season? Forget Logo, you have to go to Facebook. I've even seen a few companies that won't even let you get an account with them on their own site, you have to go to...... you guessed it. Fuck them, they obviously don't want my money very much.

If companies keep trying to force people to do as they told and people keep doing it, I can only see Facebook becoming even more pervasive and just one more step on the road to everybody having bar codes tattooed on their scalps....
I just refuse. I don't buy the lottery tickets that have the second-chance entries dependent on a Facebook 'like'. It's not like I ever won the old-fashioned way of entering on their site anyway...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#29 Post by Sistine Fanny » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:19 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Sistine Fanny wrote:If companies keep forcing people to do as they're told and people keep doing it, I can only see Facebook becoming even more pervasive and just one more step on the road to everybody having bar codes tattooed on their scalps....

I used to work with someone who had a barcode tattooed to the back of his neck....

Yes, someone did once try to scan it with one of our store's Telxons. He came up not on file....

lb13
A lot of people have them for fashion, I'm thinking more along the lines of 12 Monkeys.....

minimetoo26

#30 Post by minimetoo26 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Well, you don't work with a bunch of young whippersnappers whose phones are surgically attached to their hands.... just waiting for the next big social networking fad.... :P

lb13
I have kids with iDevices. But no Facebook for them! MOM is evil!!!

That's funny. My Mom practically BEGS me to get on Facebook, because she has an account for one reason only.... to snoop on everyone. I don't even think she posts on it, but she's constantly creeping on FB from her phone while we're out eating, and it drives me effing insane when she starts spouting off about what my sisters or nephews are doing, or the stupid shit her sister posts while she' supposed to be working...

lb13
Well, my kids are too young to have any sense, or friends that have sense, at least. When they're 18 I can't stop them from doing idiotic shit that can ruin their chances of getting a decent job, but I can at least try to educate them about that stuff while they live here...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#31 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:30 am

We don't need bar codes on our foreheads. We've had a unique code since before we were born -- our DNA.

I can foresee a time when hospitals will offer to take a DNA sample when the baby is born. Oh, what a tangled web that would weave. If that happens, I predict it will mean the end of sperm banking.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#32 Post by Evil Squirrel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I can foresee a time when hospitals will offer to take a DNA sample when the baby is born. Oh, what a tangled web that would weave. If that happens, I predict it will mean the end of sperm banking.

But where will I be able to go to make a deposit.....???
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

minimetoo26

#33 Post by minimetoo26 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 am

Evil Squirrel wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:I can foresee a time when hospitals will offer to take a DNA sample when the baby is born. Oh, what a tangled web that would weave. If that happens, I predict it will mean the end of sperm banking.

But where will I be able to go to make a deposit.....???
Sprots has no trouble telling you where to go. Just sayin'....

-Carl Sagan

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#34 Post by Sistine Fanny » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:56 am

SportsFan68 wrote:We don't need bar codes on our foreheads. We've had a unique code since before we were born -- our DNA.

I can foresee a time when hospitals will offer to take a DNA sample when the baby is born. Oh, what a tangled web that would weave. If that happens, I predict it will mean the end of sperm banking.
Unless you're an identical twin (or other identical multiple, although those seem to be mostly fraternal).

I can foresee a time when hospitals will take a DNA sample, to hell with offering. They're well on their way with some states requiring felons to give it up. But I see bar codes first, because it's a lot easier and faster to get instantaneous results with a hand scanner. So you can get the club card prices at the supermarket......

minimetoo26

#35 Post by minimetoo26 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:58 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:We don't need bar codes on our foreheads. We've had a unique code since before we were born -- our DNA.

Unless you're an identical twin (or other identical multiple, although those seem to be mostly fraternal).

I can foresee a time when hospitals will take a DNA sample, to hell with offering. They're well on their way with some states requiring felons to give it up. But I see bar codes first, because it's a lot easier and faster to get instantaneous results with a hand scanner. So you can get the club card prices at the supermarket......
RFID chip in your earlobe. I won't get a tattoo, but I have pierced ears...

-Carl Sagan

MinisterOfPropaganda
Merry Man

#36 Post by MinisterOfPropaganda » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 pm

minimetoo26 wrote:
Sistine Fanny wrote:

RFID chip in your earlobe. I won't get a tattoo, but I have pierced ears...

As Minister of Propaganda, I hereby warn you that you will do whatever our government tells you to do! Now bend over so we can insert this homing probe....

Vandal
Director of Promos

#37 Post by Vandal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 am

From The Onion:
Number Of Users Who Actually Enjoy Facebook Down To 4

September 10, 2012 WASHINGTON—A comprehensive and groundbreaking new report released Monday by the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life Project has found that only four users of Facebook derive pleasure of any kind from the popular social networking website.

According to the report, the remainder of the 950 million people registered with Facebook, despite using the site on a regular basis, take no joy in doing so, and in fact feel a profound sense of hopelessness and despair immediately upon logging in.

“An exhaustive analysis of our data indicates that Facebook does indeed have a positive impact on the day-to-day lives of Susannah Brambrink of Milwaukee, Tom Peros of San Diego, Eugene Phipps of Albuquerque, and Karen Fairbanks of rural Missouri,” lead researcher John Elliott said. “But all other users—literally all of them—are overpowered by a deep, nameless sadness when exposed to the site, and apparently only visit it out of some sick, inexplicable compulsion bordering on masochism.”

Added Elliott, “As it turns out, the vast majority of human beings tend to become depressed when they see the past five years of their life summarized right there in front of them in a sad little timeline.”

Indeed, the Pew report found that 99 percent of Facebook members could not recall having enjoyed any of the social network’s features at any time since 2009. Of that subset, 74 percent said they had asked themselves “How has my life come to this?” while checking the website multiple times per day, 67 percent said they were “inevitably plunged into an alternating cycle of vanity and self-disgust” when reviewing tagged pictures of themselves, and 52 percent said they had questioned the whole point of life itself after spending half an hour on the site only to realize the most interesting thing they had seen the entire time was a photo of what someone had for dinner.

In addition, more than three-quarters of users said they had “legitimately considered suicide” while watching politically charged arguments unfold in response to a Facebook post.

Reached for comment, two of the four people still able to spend time on Facebook without immediately calculating how much of their life they just let slip away spoke to reporters about their use of the site.

“Anytime I get a free moment, the first thing I do is check Facebook on my phone,” said Susannah Brambrink, 28, one of the last users on the face of the earth who can routinely update her profile without fearing that the smallest details of her personal life will be relentlessly mocked and ridiculed. “It’s just a fun way to stay in touch with friends and family, so I usually check it once or twice a day, if not more.”

“Sometimes I’ll be on there for an hour or more, just browsing people’s profiles,” continued Brambrink, who, unlike the other 214 million single women surveyed, said she was unconcerned by the possibility of finding out her ex-boyfriend was in a new relationship and having her heart ripped out of her chest all over again. “It’s cool to go back and see what somebody posted a year ago.”

Tom Peros, another of the four users for whom Facebook is not a constant source of anxiety fueled by narcissism and self-doubt, expressed a similar sentiment, saying it “just feels good” to read people’s status updates, a feature on the site that shows users how many things in life they’re missing out on and how many experiences they’re likely never to have.

Sources confirmed Peros is also able to explore his friends’ Facebook profiles without growing completely despondent in the face of information that documents exactly how people who were once close can drift further and further apart until they barely recognize each other and the only thing still uniting them is the superficial thread of social media.

“I love finding old classmates and seeing what they’re up to,” said Peros, who regularly skims the “Work and Education” section of profiles without reaching the soul-crushing conclusion that his own accomplishments are pathetic by comparison. “And if I’m not friends with them already, I’ll send them a request. I figure, what’s to lose? Even if you’re rejected, it’s presumably just because they don’t remember you, or else like to keep their friend list limited to people they know really well. Why else would they reject you? Right?”

At press time, the number of users who enjoy Facebook had reportedly dropped to three.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

earendel

#38 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:

Beware the Mark of the Beast! Some apocalyptic Christian groups have decided that bar codes on the forehead or hand are the fulfillment of Revelation 1316-18: "Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let anyone with understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred sixty-six."
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

wintergreen48

#39 Post by wintergreen48 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 am

When the .com bubble collapsed, one big investor who did not lose a dime was Warren Buffett: he had refused to invest in all those ".com" companies, saying that he would never invest in any business if he could not figure out how they made their money, and he could never figure how the .com's were making money (and, of course, they weren't-- it was all "this is a great innovation, all you have to do is add '.com' to your name and the customers will flock to you"... except that they didn't, and the collapse occurred. The .com's just didn't recognize that you needed a product or service that people wanted (and not just products or services people could get anywhere), and that took more than just adding '.com' to your name, or opening up a website.

Facebook seems to work on the same general model, the difference is that instead of selling products themselves, they have opened up a venue for other businesses to offer products and services through them (all that crap where you have to "Like" someone on Facebook in order to get some benefit). Facebook has sucked in a lot of companies that way, and if it keeps up, they might remain more or less successful for a while. But that does seem to be a pretty narrow niche to hold onto for any extended period of time, and if companies find that this whole "Like" business is not really adding anything to their bottom line (or at least, not adding enough to make up for whatever they pay Facebook for the service), then that will dry up, and Facebook with it, unless Facebook comes up with something else.

Which seems unlikely, insofar as all of Facebook's innovations seem to run along the lines of "What can we do now to aggravate people?" and that is not really a sustaintable model.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

silverscreenselect

#40 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:42 am

wintergreen48 wrote: Facebook has sucked in a lot of companies that way, and if it keeps up, they might remain more or less successful for a while. But that does seem to be a pretty narrow niche to hold onto for any extended period of time, and if companies find that this whole "Like" business is not really adding anything to their bottom line (or at least, not adding enough to make up for whatever they pay Facebook for the service), then that will dry up, and Facebook with it, unless Facebook comes up with something else.
And that's the key. Look at Google today vs. Google ten years ago. Then, it was a very good search engine with a funny name. Now, it's a lot more things. The old Google would have been a relic today, but by reinventing themselves, year after year, they succeed.

Facebook may or may not be able to do the same thing, but they are building off of a huge customer base and name recognition, which will give them a leg up on the competition no matter what they do next.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#41 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 pm

A few people have mentioned the crap about having to have a fb account and 'liking' a company to get a coupon or some other deal. The other thing that pisses me off about fb is that most every news (or other) site I go to loads much slower because of the fb and twitter connectivity that I'll never use...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#42 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Estonut wrote:A few people have mentioned the crap about having to have a fb account and 'liking' a company to get a coupon or some other deal. The other thing that pisses me off about fb is that most every news (or other) site I go to loads much slower because of the fb and twitter connectivity that I'll never use...
REC!

we never needed any stinkin "like" stuff round here....

themanintheseersuckersuit

#43 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Sistine Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
A lot of people have them for fashion, I'm thinking more along the lines of 12 Monkeys.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/world ... .html?_r=0
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Ritterskoop

#44 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:47 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:When the .com bubble collapsed, one big investor who did not lose a dime was Warren Buffett: he had refused to invest in all those ".com" companies, saying that he would never invest in any business if he could not figure out how they made their money, and he could never figure how the .com's were making money (and, of course, they weren't-- it was all "this is a great innovation, all you have to do is add '.com' to your name and the customers will flock to you"... except that they didn't, and the collapse occurred.
When I was in an investment club and studied stocks and whatnot, I took this position about bank stocks. I don't know what their product is.

I guess I know in some sense what the product is, but it is not a widget that I can look at and think it is well-made or not.

So I have never bought bank stocks. I have so far been pleased with this omission.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

TheConfessor

#45 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 pm

I just happened to see this excellent article about the economics of Facebook because a friend posted it on Facebook. It explains how the company actually makes much more money when the service is intentionally not as good as it could be. At least in the short run.
http://observer.com/2012/09/broken-on-purpose/

jaybee

#46 Post by jaybee » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 am

TheConfessor wrote: At least in the short run.
http://observer.com/2012/09/broken-on-purpose/
That says it better than anything. It's amazing how quickly time can move on. As has been pointed out, FB has the ability (and currently, the money) to reinvent itself over and over to stay current. But since it consists of nothing beyond it's own popularity it is constantly walking a very thin line. Once the masses decide that there is something better - be it by FB becoming outdated or by something new elsewhere - then the masses and all of FB's assets will move.

From the article:

Thankfully, we know where this short term mindset gets us. Remember Myspace? Remember how clunky the site got, how many pages you needed to load just to login? Myspace pioneered the “broken on purpose” model. As it grew more popular, users clamored for improvements—improvements that the company’s engineers discovered were being blocked by Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. Mr. Murdoch had a $1 billion revenue target in mind for the network, and reducing page loads, even frivolous ones, shrank advertising inventory and took the company further from those goals.

Publishers who follow in its footsteps may soon join MySpace in the dustbin of history.
Jaybee

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#47 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Farmville continues to get clunkier and clunkier. The little message icon says I have requests from Kiki, Melly, and PSM and her hubby JS, and when I go there to try to fill them, I just get messages urging me to play Farmville. Usta be, there were feeds below the game so I could send dozens of gifts in a very short time. Now that's gone: Some users have been experiencing problems with feeds below the game. We have turned this off & will bring it back once things have been fixed. For now, please use your Facebook news feed. Thank you for your patience I won't use the Facebook news feed because it takes too long.

The reason I think it's gone forever is that I've been getting messages to join Farmville 2. I think they're going to wipe the slate clean on Farmville and start over with Farmville 2. I hope not for the sake of people who have so much time, energy, and money invested in Farmville. I hope at least they grant a certain number of levels in the new game for however much you've earned in the old.

As for me and Farmville 2: Sorry, BBs, but I will not join. I like helping you with your farms by sending you gifts, but I refuse to load my personal info into a new game just so I can continue to do that.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller