More bad publishing news

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Re: More bad publishing news

#26 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Maybe it's time to get some of geoffil's lawyers on the case....

lb13
I really think he's in better hands with Bixby! :lol:

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am

Vandal wrote: I sent a formal letter requesting the return of my rights to Dizzy Miss Lizzie in exchange for all back royalties. Just the rights, nothing more.
Requests don't do you a bit of good when you're dealing with a deadbeat or someone who's in financial trouble.

I'd suggest you or your attorney look at the termination provisions of your contract. Usually, there's a section that allows you to terminate following a material breach of the contract. The trick is to determine exactly what constitutes a material breach and then to follow the procedure needed to establish a breach has occurred and then either terminate the contract or use that as leverage with the publisher. At that point you can take steps to reclaim your rights to the material.

I just visited the company's website, and it's open for business as usual. Dizzy Miss Lizzie is listed on the home page for anyone to buy and that's just plain wrong. Worse, they are still inviting writers to send them manuscripts.

I'm not very up on how to use social media (I'm not even on Facebook), but I know it's possible to get people interested in your problems when you're getting ripped off. I hope you can get some greater public visibility into what's happening with these people. You'll get support from us on this Bored, but support from the literary community in general will do you a lot more good.

Good luck.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#28 Post by Vandal » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:40 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Requests don't do you a bit of good when you're dealing with a deadbeat or someone who's in financial trouble.

I'd suggest you or your attorney look at the termination provisions of your contract. Usually, there's a section that allows you to terminate following a material breach of the contract. The trick is to determine exactly what constitutes a material breach and then to follow the procedure needed to establish a breach has occurred and then either terminate the contract or use that as leverage with the publisher. At that point you can take steps to reclaim your rights to the material.

I just visited the company's website, and it's open for business as usual. Dizzy Miss Lizzie is listed on the home page for anyone to buy and that's just plain wrong. Worse, they are still inviting writers to send them manuscripts.

I'm not very up on how to use social media (I'm not even on Facebook), but I know it's possible to get people interested in your problems when you're getting ripped off. I hope you can get some greater public visibility into what's happening with these people. You'll get support from us on this Bored, but support from the literary community in general will do you a lot more good.

Good luck.
I really wanted to avoid paying a literary/contract attorney far more than what I'm owed by the publisher. That's why I was hoping the publisher would return my rights (because it's free).

I sent Bix the contract and other pertinent info, so we'll see what she can do with it.

Stanley Publishing's latest antics are now known to Writer Beware and several established writer sites.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster