2012 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Re: 2012 Audition List

#76 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:05 pm

check2012 wrote:I've done a bit of research about my odds now that I'm in the pool. One source said anywhere from 2/3 to 3/4 of the people in the pool are called to be on the show. Another source said about 350 are kept in the pool, 175 episodes are filmed a season, and approximately 1.75 people are on each show (one person's full run, plus 3/4 of another person's). So it looks like my odds, based on at least those sources, are about 50%.
Who are those sources and where do they get their information? We have good statistics on the number of players and how much they win from wwtbam.biz, but I'd question any stats about the pool.
check2012 wrote:Do they draw names randomly out of the pool, or do the producers simply review every contestant in the pool and then choose one there (aka not random)?
Despite the fact that this group follows the show more closely than just about anyone, we don't know. TPTB keep these facts top secret (athough they may mention general numbers about total number of auditioners and total numbers of contestants, per season). The best we can do is speculate, based on what we've observed over the years.

IMHO, it's absolutely not random, although it certainly may be arbitrary. My hunch is that each of the AP may keep their favorites in mind and they recommend casting these contestants whenever they're making the selections. Since they see so many auditioners, throughout the whole season, that means that (in general), the longer someone is in the pool, the more likely they'll be forgotten about (although people do get cast after being in the pool for a year or longer, from time to time). Beyond that, do they "stir the pool" reviewing everyone in it? Do they have some strict set of guidelines about what types of contestants to cast, given to them by the executive producers and/or sponsors? We don't know.

check2012

#77 Post by check2012 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Those sources weren't anything official unfortunately, just what other people have mused online. I've been Googling "Millionaire contestant pool" a lot these past couple days. One thing I can say is, I have yet to find a person who has gotten the post card but was not called on the show. Of course, that's not to say there haven't been, but they must not post about it online. A lot of people felt quite confident they'd be on the show once they got the post card - some even said they just got the card and were going to start studying right away. As for me, I'm not going to begin the studying till I get The Call.

At my audition, I was the only college student to pass everything (if I recall correctly, the only one to even pass the written test). I can't even guess how many other college students have auditioned and got as far as I did. I know they finished up the Across-the-Country auditions at the end of last month, and my post card was dated the 27th (which I believe was the final day of the Across-the-Country auditions).

But I suppose auditions are still going on as well. According to the Millionaire site, more will happen in August.

Now that I think about it, one of the sources said Meredith Vieira, in an TV interview in 2006, said 175 shows are taped each season/year. That numbers seems kind of high to me, but what do I know?

Are we allowed to say some of the questions on the audition written test? I'm sure you guys would be interested in hearing them.

MarleysGh0st

#78 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:35 pm

check2012 wrote:One thing I can say is, I have yet to find a person who has gotten the post card but was not called on the show. Of course, that's not to say there haven't been, but they must not post about it online.
You've found one now: me. Also christie1111 and a number of other BBs who have written about it here. Of course, it's old news for us (my Happy Card was from 2003) so we don't repeat the story every day.
check2012 wrote:I know they finished up the Across-the-Country auditions at the end of last month, and my post card was dated the 27th (which I believe was the final day of the Across-the-Country auditions).
Do you have your months mixed up? The first Road Trip audition for this year is tomorrow, in Chicago. The last (so far announced) will be July 27th in New Orleans.
check2012 wrote:Now that I think about it, one of the sources said Meredith Vieira, in an TV interview in 2006, said 175 shows are taped each season/year. That numbers seems kind of high to me, but what do I know?
175 shows per year is generally correct. See the wwtbam.biz site for those stats and much more. (The webmaster for that site is a BB.)
check2012 wrote:Are we allowed to say some of the questions on the audition written test? I'm sure you guys would be interested in hearing them.
TPTB want the test questions kept secret (hence their guards against someone stealing a test sheet) and our general consensus has been to respect that wish and not mention specific test questions. It is general knowledge here that they use actual questions that have appeared on the past episodes of the show, so it's worthwhile to be a regular viewer and to study the transcripts.

check2012

#79 Post by check2012 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Ah, I did have my months confused, sorry about that.
You've found one now: me. Also christie1111 and a number of other BBs who have written about it here. Of course, it's old news for us (my Happy Card was from 2003) so we don't repeat the story every day.
That's too bad. Well I guess the best I can do is just wait and hope for the best.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#80 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Steven Sousa, auditioned May 21, :(
UniquePerspective, auditioned May 29, :x, auditioned June 5, :(
nhbuffbc, auditioned May 31, :x, auditioned June 7, :)
basketball_junkie, auditioned June 6, :(
tabcourt, auditioned June 7, :x, auditioned July 6, passed written test
goongas, auditioned June 7, :(
Peyton Farquhar, auditioned June 12, passed written test
check2012, auditioned June 12, :)
MarleysGh0st, auditioned June 20, :(
ten96lt, auditioning July 9
Bob78164, auditioning July 25
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

TheConfessor

#81 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm

I don't really understand what this is, but those who are auditioning might want to check out this promotional item that the show tweeted about:

Millionaire TV ‏@MillionaireTV
Going to Monday’s Chicago contestant audition? Check in with GetGlue to earn exclusive Road Audition sticker Monday: http://getglue.com/millionairetv

Jeemie

#82 Post by Jeemie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:37 am

check2012 wrote:One thing I can say is, I have yet to find a person who has gotten the post card but was not called on the show.
I was in the pool a couple of years ago and didn't get selected.

Now my case is special- I got into the pool via the video auditions they did back in late 2009 (where you could submit a video about yourself, and then get selected to take an online test) so maybe I don't count.

But as Marley pointed out, there are several here who got put into the pool and then were not selected.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#83 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:32 am

Jeemie wrote:
check2012 wrote:One thing I can say is, I have yet to find a person who has gotten the post card but was not called on the show.

Now my case is special- I got into the pool via the video auditions they did back in late 2009 (where you could submit a video about yourself, and then get selected to take an online test) so maybe I don't count.

But as Marley pointed out, there are several here who got put into the pool and then were not selected.
Checking out the Audition Lists on this site (findable through the Bored Reference thread) will show at least a handful of people whose happy cards expired unused. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

check2012

#84 Post by check2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:46 am

I can't find the answer to this anywhere - what does TPTB stand for?

themanintheseersuckersuit

#85 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 am

check2012 wrote:I can't find the answer to this anywhere - what does TPTB stand for?
The Powers That Be
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#86 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Checking out the Audition Lists on this site (findable through the Bored Reference thread) will show at least a handful of people whose happy cards expired unused. --Bob
There is a least one member for whom TPTB canceled a entire theme week to nullify his happy card :D*

*but he's not bitter
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

check2012

#87 Post by check2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 am

Can you say any more about that, Man In Suit? And weren't you still in the contestant pool for general Millionaire?

#88 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 am

check2012 wrote:Can you say any more about that, Man In Suit? And weren't you still in the contestant pool for general Millionaire?
There was no announcement when Halloween week was cancelled. I don't think I was in the general pool. Never got a call. But I have enjoyed telling my tale of dressing up as a flying monkey in Central Park. Maybe it would make a good Jeopardy story.
Suitguy is not bitter.

_TPTB_
Merry Man

#89 Post by _TPTB_ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 am

check2012 wrote:I can't find the answer to this anywhere - what does TPTB stand for?

Next you'll be asking what a Merry Man is....

MarleysGh0st

#90 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
check2012 wrote:Can you say any more about that, Man In Suit? And weren't you still in the contestant pool for general Millionaire?
There was no announcement when Halloween week was cancelled. I don't think I was in the general pool. Never got a call. But I have enjoyed telling my tale of dressing up as a flying monkey in Central Park. Maybe it would make a good Jeopardy story.
While they decided not to have contestants dress up in costume, having a couple of "Ghost Hunters" appear as celebrity contestants, not just once but twice, was a terrific idea!* :roll:

http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30607

http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36956

ten96lt

#91 Post by ten96lt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Bob, I passed the test and received an on camera interview. I'm writing a separate thread about my experience (It's a Warm Summer Morning in Ancient Chicago).

Check, I am also one that has received the happy card but never got called. I auditioned in June 2009 around the time they were searching for both daytime shows and the 10th anniversary special. I got flushed out in 2011.

I asked today if they were doing college week this year and they said it wasn't definitive so they didn't ask us to write anything on our scantrons, but I did make note I am in college in my application, so CW isn't a guarantee.
Last edited by ten96lt on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danangel

#92 Post by danangel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Glad to see more green names all up in here! Congrats check and welcome to the club. I qualified in Vegas last year for the general pool and the year before, in 2010 for Movie Week. I am also a college student, so who knows, I might even get the Call for that week. I know nothing about mascots so that's something to study if that happens...

ten96lt good luck with the happy card!

Perspective audtioners: Check's advice on auditions is pretty solid. Eye contact and staying upbeat the entire time helped and also made the auditions more fun, which was the main reason I was there. And keep talking at every opportunity! You are there to sell yourself. So this is the day to "go big or go home." Try to have fun and make some new friends in line. And you'll at least have some stories to tell. (And definitely read the transcripts if you don't watch the show regularly.) Good luck to all. I am still happy to help anyone coming for the road audition here on the 25th with any hotel recommendations in Vegas.

Bob -- all the best. This is your year! Never give up, never surrender!

xoxo
Danny

PS Check, I don't know if this was already answered, but last season the first shows were taped the last week of August. Those contestants were notified I think about three weeks prior, so the earliest they will call for this season probablyl won't be until at least August. Hoping you and everyone else on the Bored gets the Call!!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#93 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:12 pm

ten96lt, auditioned July 9, passed written test

ten96lt

#94 Post by ten96lt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: TPTB want the test questions kept secret (hence their guards against someone stealing a test sheet) and our general consensus has been to respect that wish and not mention specific test questions. It is general knowledge here that they use actual questions that have appeared on the past episodes of the show, so it's worthwhile to be a regular viewer and to study the transcripts.
There was an especially long delay between the second and third session today. While waiting for them to score our scantrons, we found out from one of the AP's that during the second audition; while grading the scantrons, they realized that one of the envelopes was missing a test. They had to go through the scantrons to match the envelope number and find out who had the test still in their possession; which delayed them reading the passing numbers and the rest of the audition. From what she said they believed it was an accident, but to affirm what Marley is saying, they take test security very seriously.

check2012

#95 Post by check2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 pm

How'd folks do in Chicago today? Were there a lot of test passers, from what you saw?

ten96lt

#96 Post by ten96lt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:58 pm

check2012 wrote:How'd folks do in Chicago today? Were there a lot of test passers, from what you saw?
According to mom who took the test with me, 15-20 in the session we were in passed out of roughly 210. I didn't see the full count because I was the 3rd number called and they had us quickly get to the patio area to keep the audition moving since they were behind from the earlier delay.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#97 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I just read on Facebook that alphadummy passed the test and...got a video interview!!! I'll let him do the honors of posting his saga.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tlynn78

#98 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:13 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:I just read on Facebook that alphadummy passed the test and...got a video interview!!! I'll let him do the honors of posting his saga.

Yahoo!!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#99 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 pm

AlphaDummy, auditioned July 9, passed written test

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#100 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 am

AlphaDummy, auditioned July 9, passed written test
HAL 9000, auditioning July 25