2012 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
shoefresh

Re: 2012 Audition List

#201 Post by shoefresh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:08 pm

I know it's a little ex post facto, but I have been trying to register for this board ever since I got my happy card! :D

I took the test on July 23rd in Houston (my third tryout in four years) and finally succeeded in passing the Scantron Test of Doom. After sleeping in my car for five hours (drove in from out of town), I returned for the interview. Of the 40 or so people who passed the test, I was one of the last ones to interview. They quickly had me sign a camera release form after the general interview and moved me to the holding area for the on camera interview. This turned out to be a quick camera test where they once again went over the anecdotes from your application and had you answer some millionaire questions for the camera. After that, they tell me to look for the postcard, which should arrive in about three weeks.

Three weeks to the day after my audition, I get the super terrific happy postcard, and the next morning I get THE CALL. :D I flew out to NYC and was the first one to tape on 8/28, the same day that hanzz and Chad Bartholomew taped their episodes. Having not expected to tape so quickly, I had an extra day and a half to spend in the City, so took in some of the sights and Shake Shack!

Can't wait for you guys to see the show!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#202 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Steven Sousa, auditioned May 21, :(
UniquePerspective, auditioned May 29, :x, auditioned June 5, :(
nhbuffbc, auditioned May 31, :x, auditioned June 7, :D, taping September 18
basketball_junkie, auditioned June 6, :(
tabcourt, auditioned June 7, :x, auditioned July 6, passed written test
goongas, auditioned June 7, :(
Peyton Farquhar, auditioned June 12, passed written test
check2012, auditioned June 12, :)
MarleysGh0st, auditioned June 20, :(
ten96lt, auditioned July 9, :)
AlphaDummy, auditioned July 9, :(
jimdash, auditioned July 9, :(
hss501, auditioned July 9, :D, taping September 17
CaptainObvious, auditioned July 23, :D, taping September 26
shoefresh, auditioned July 23, :D, taped August 28
Bob78164, auditioned July 25, :(
HAL 9000, auditioned July 25, :x
BuzzerBattleBill, auditioned July 25, passed written test
hanzz, auditioned July 25, :D, taped August 28
smenks13, auditioned July 25, :D, taping September 17
mcraig71555, auditioned July 27, :(
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#203 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:15 pm

shoefresh wrote:I know it's a little ex post facto, but I have been trying to register for this board ever since I got my happy card! :D

I took the test on July 23rd in Houston (my third tryout in four years) and finally succeeded in passing the Scantron Test of Doom. After sleeping in my car for five hours (drove in from out of town), I returned for the interview. Of the 40 or so people who passed the test, I was one of the last ones to interview. They quickly had me sign a camera release form after the general interview and moved me to the holding area for the on camera interview. This turned out to be a quick camera test where they once again went over the anecdotes from your application and had you answer some millionaire questions for the camera. After that, they tell me to look for the postcard, which should arrive in about three weeks.

Three weeks to the day after my audition, I get the super terrific happy postcard, and the next morning I get THE CALL. :D I flew out to NYC and was the first one to tape on 8/28, the same day that hanzz and Chad Bartholomew taped their episodes. Having not expected to tape so quickly, I had an extra day and a half to spend in the City, so took in some of the sights and Shake Shack!

Can't wait for you guys to see the show!
Congratulations, and welcome aBored! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#204 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 am

nhbuffbc, auditioned May 31, :x, auditioned June 7, :D, taping September 18
smenks13, auditioned July 25, :D, taped September 17

CaptainObvious

#205 Post by CaptainObvious » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 pm

shoefresh wrote:I took the test on July 23rd in Houston (my third tryout in four years) and finally succeeded in passing the Scantron Test of Doom. After sleeping in my car for five hours (drove in from out of town), I returned for the interview. Of the 40 or so people who passed the test, I was one of the last ones to interview.
Which testing group were you in? I probably saw you there. I was the long-haired guy that got one of the last 2 interviews among the third testing group.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#206 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 am

nhbuffbc, auditioned May 31, :x, auditioned June 7, :D, taped September 19

check2012

#207 Post by check2012 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:31 am

Just got The Call about half an hour ago. I tape Tuesday morning (the 25th) at 7 am, although I may have to tape some on Wednesday as well.

Thanks for all your encouragement board!

Note: Nothing about college week was mentioned. Guess it's a regular show!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#208 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 am

check2012, auditioned June 12, :D, taping September 25

hanzz

#209 Post by hanzz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:01 pm

check2012 wrote:Just got The Call about half an hour ago. I tape Tuesday morning (the 25th) at 7 am, although I may have to tape some on Wednesday as well.

Congrats! Told ya so :wink:

Now I'm curious, your location says South Central Il, but I'm guessing you must be in NYC area in order to be able to go on such short notice?

Also, come ooooooooonnnnn ten96lt!

(and also, please PLEASE tell Grace and Natasha I said hi, and give them big hugs from me, and just ask Grace "How goes the biker?")
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

shoefresh

#210 Post by shoefresh » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:46 pm

CaptainObvious wrote:
shoefresh wrote:I took the test on July 23rd in Houston (my third tryout in four years) and finally succeeded in passing the Scantron Test of Doom. After sleeping in my car for five hours (drove in from out of town), I returned for the interview. Of the 40 or so people who passed the test, I was one of the last ones to interview.
Which testing group were you in? I probably saw you there. I was the long-haired guy that got one of the last 2 interviews among the third testing group.
I was one of the early birds for the day. Was in the first group that they had take the test, and the group that had their interviews around one o'clock. I'm honestly surprised I was able to interview as well as I did after taking a four hour car nap!

CaptainObvious

#211 Post by CaptainObvious » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm

check2012 wrote:Just got The Call about half an hour ago. I tape Tuesday morning (the 25th) at 7 am, although I may have to tape some on Wednesday as well.

Oh, maybe I'll see you in the green room (or whatever name they give it) on the 26th! I'll be sure to ask if anyone from the Bored is there and just didn't post or is you.
shoefresh wrote:I was one of the early birds for the day. Was in the first group that they had take the test, and the group that had their interviews around one o'clock. I'm honestly surprised I was able to interview as well as I did after taking a four hour car nap!
Ah, then I probably walked past you at some point, but we probably never had a conversation within earshot of each other. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet ya.

check2012

#212 Post by check2012 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm

hanzz wrote:

Congrats! Told ya so :wink:

Now I'm curious, your location says South Central Il, but I'm guessing you must be in NYC area in order to be able to go on such short notice?

Also, come ooooooooonnnnn ten96lt!

(and also, please PLEASE tell Grace and Natasha I said hi, and give them big hugs from me, and just ask Grace "How goes the biker?")
Yea, it is very short notice. Not sure why that is! But the email says it, and she said it on the phone, the 25th of this month. I gotta get on top of buying a plane ticket! :D

I hope to see you there Captain!

ten96lt

#213 Post by ten96lt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm

hanzz wrote: Also, come ooooooooonnnnn ten96lt!
First off even though I wished Check congratulations on Facebook, I will here also.

Now I'm really getting antsy because I've heard this tune played before and it didn't turn out so well. Maybe they're saving the best for last. :D

If however history repeats, I request to be the new grumbler on this bored lol

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#214 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm

hss501, auditioned July 9, :D, taped September 18

shoefresh

#215 Post by shoefresh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 am

CaptainObvious wrote:Ah, then I probably walked past you at some point, but we probably never had a conversation within earshot of each other. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet ya.
Same here! The group of people I was hanging out with were swapping life stories and also trying to decipher the answers for the Scantron of Doom while we waited for our interviews, so it certainly helped the time pass. If my guess is right (and they'll never confirm whether it is or isn't), I believe I got a 25 on the test, but it could have been a 26. Whatever it was I assume was the minimum passing score.

Regardless, I'm still more shocked that I passed the test then aced the interview. That scantron's a hell of a gatekeeper!

hss501

#216 Post by hss501 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 am

It's weird. I'm 3/3 on the ScanTron, and never doubted for I second that I'd pass each time. But I also never thought I scored as high as 25.

hanzz

#217 Post by hanzz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 am

shoefresh wrote:
CaptainObvious wrote:Ah, then I probably walked past you at some point, but we probably never had a conversation within earshot of each other. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet ya.
Same here! The group of people I was hanging out with were swapping life stories and also trying to decipher the answers for the Scantron of Doom while we waited for our interviews, so it certainly helped the time pass. If my guess is right (and they'll never confirm whether it is or isn't), I believe I got a 25 on the test, but it could have been a 26. Whatever it was I assume was the minimum passing score.

Regardless, I'm still more shocked that I passed the test then aced the interview. That scantron's a hell of a gatekeeper!
Yeah, weirdly, even though I'd passed it once before, my whole 40-hour drive out there, I just kept thinking about how real of a possibility it was that this would be a wasted trip because of the test. I didn't even think about how I'd prepare for the interview or what stories I used, so when I finally passed, I think it helped me be a lot more natural and myself.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

shoefresh

#218 Post by shoefresh » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:21 pm

hanzz wrote:Yeah, weirdly, even though I'd passed it once before, my whole 40-hour drive out there, I just kept thinking about how real of a possibility it was that this would be a wasted trip because of the test. I didn't even think about how I'd prepare for the interview or what stories I used, so when I finally passed, I think it helped me be a lot more natural and myself.
So true! No interview prep at all. Was convinced I'd be making the three hour drive right back to Austin after the Scantron. Didn't plan a thing to say to the contestant coordinators, so I just started talking to them about Las Vegas since that's where they were headed next. Other than that, the only thought running through my head was, "be yourself, but 10% more." Seemed to work out pretty well!

Ready to see some non-celeb episodes to see if people from our green room show up!

TheConfessor

#219 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:38 am

shoefresh wrote:
hanzz wrote:Yeah, weirdly, even though I'd passed it once before, my whole 40-hour drive out there, I just kept thinking about how real of a possibility it was that this would be a wasted trip because of the test. I didn't even think about how I'd prepare for the interview or what stories I used, so when I finally passed, I think it helped me be a lot more natural and myself.
So true! No interview prep at all. Was convinced I'd be making the three hour drive right back to Austin after the Scantron. Didn't plan a thing to say to the contestant coordinators, so I just started talking to them about Las Vegas since that's where they were headed next. Other than that, the only thought running through my head was, "be yourself, but 10% more." Seemed to work out pretty well!

Ready to see some non-celeb episodes to see if people from our green room show up!
Hey shoefresh, I just noticed that you are from Austin and you host a pub quiz. Which one? I also live in Austin and usually do pub quizzes once or twice a week. I'm almost always at Fado on Tuesdays and often at B.D. Riley's on Wednesdays. Occasionally at Lion and Rose on Mondays or Wednesdays and have done Geeks Who Drink from time to time at various locations.

CaptainObvious

#220 Post by CaptainObvious » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:19 pm

ten96lt wrote:Now I'm really getting antsy because I've heard this tune played before and it didn't turn out so well. Maybe they're saving the best for last. :D
Maybe, but let's hope not. We want you to get to play also!

(I'm currently taping last)

shoefresh

#221 Post by shoefresh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 am

TheConfessor wrote:Hey shoefresh, I just noticed that you are from Austin and you host a pub quiz. Which one? I also live in Austin and usually do pub quizzes once or twice a week. I'm almost always at Fado on Tuesdays and often at B.D. Riley's on Wednesdays. Occasionally at Lion and Rose on Mondays or Wednesdays and have done Geeks Who Drink from time to time at various locations.
I've hosted the Wednesday night pub quiz at the Lion & Rose for almost two years now! Was thinking about doing a viewing party there, but most of my buddies work days, so it would be tough to make it happen, since the show airs at noon locally. :(

TheConfessor

#222 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:56 am

shoefresh wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:Hey shoefresh, I just noticed that you are from Austin and you host a pub quiz. Which one? I also live in Austin and usually do pub quizzes once or twice a week. I'm almost always at Fado on Tuesdays and often at B.D. Riley's on Wednesdays. Occasionally at Lion and Rose on Mondays or Wednesdays and have done Geeks Who Drink from time to time at various locations.
I've hosted the Wednesday night pub quiz at the Lion & Rose for almost two years now! Was thinking about doing a viewing party there, but most of my buddies work days, so it would be tough to make it happen, since the show airs at noon locally. :(
Oh, then we do know each other. Very cool! You're Ron and I'm Ed Toutant. I was just at Lion and Rose tonight for TC's Monday pub quiz. I saw that you were hosting at NXNW tonight, and now I'm listening to MIX 94.7 to find out if you're working tonight. Are you still doing the night shift there? I don't see your name on their website, but I'm listening to Bruno Mars singing "Grenade" on their internet streaming page.

I don't think I've seen you since your birthday night, but I'm very pleased that you got a shot on the show and I hope you did well. I need to come see you soon on a Wednesday and trade some stories.

Now I'm hearing Neon Trees singing "Animal." Do they let you talk?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#223 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:12 pm

CaptainObvious, auditioned July 23, :D, taped September 26

check2012

#224 Post by check2012 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I taped yesterday morning!

It was a great experience. Meeting Meredith was unlike what I expected - she's so tiny/fragile! :lol: Of course I can't say how much I won nor say any questions I was given, but I can say my episode will air during the week of Halloween. I stayed at the Lucerne hotel on 79th street - two other contestants who taped the same day as me also stayed there. My girlfriend Katie (my on-air companion) got asked a question by Meredith - hopefully she'll be on TV too :)

Everyone who worked there was so nice - they really do want you to win big. The best advice I got was from the executive producer who talked about looking for that "hint" or keyword in the question - so if you don't know an answer directly, you can still *try* to figure it out from reading the choices carefully and just seeing what makes sense. Meredith gave me some advice during my game - just go with your intuition!

I never got to check out the Shake Shack - they were always too busy. Girlfriend and I got our share of frozen yogurt at 16 Handles though!

All in all, being on Millionaire has been a roller coaster experience. I am completely drained from it all. The banter we all had in the green room was great - we watched old Millionaire shows, I played some Scott Joplin on the piano, the breakfast, as you all said, wasn't the best (but edible). I went on right after lunch, so I didn't eat too much - but the sandwiches I did eat were fantastic! They had just brought in a new audience too and the energy in the place was awesome.

Any questions, feel free to ask - you all know what I can and can't answer, so have at it :D

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#225 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 am

check2012, auditioned June 12, :D, taped September 25
CaptainObvious, auditioned July 23, :D, taped September 26