Why we kiss

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Why we kiss

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Well, maybe not you and I, specifically, but people in general. From the health blog on WSJ.com:

Why do we kiss? An Albright College psychology professor and some colleagues recently conducted in-depth interviews with 1,041 students at the University of Albany to explore three hypotheses about the purpose of kissing: mate assessment, bonding and inducing sexual arousal, according to the Washington Post. The researchers found evidence supporting all three hypotheses. Some interesting tidbits: More than half of men said they would have sex without kissing first, while fewer than 15% of women said they would. This may mean women use kissing for “mate assessments” more than men do. Meanwhile, men were much more likely to want to exchange more saliva during a kiss. Bonus vocabulary: kissing is osculation in academia.

gs comment:
Women - "How are you as a husband?" Men - "Let's swap spit!" :D
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Some interesting tidbits: More than half of men said they would have sex without kissing first, while fewer than 15% of women said they would.
They must have surveyed my husband.

Jeemie

Re: Why we kiss

#3 Post by Jeemie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 pm

gsabc wrote:Some interesting tidbits: More than half of men said they would have sex without kissing first, while fewer than 15% of women said they would.
This is wholly unsurprising, since most men want to mate with any person with a pulse.

This excerpt from When Harry Met Sally sums it up nicely:
Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.

Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?

Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
1979 City of Champions 2009

VAdame

#4 Post by VAdame » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Ooohhh, ooohhh, oooohhh......that reminds me of a punchline I intended for the "Joke" thread last week!

She: Oh, kiss me, kiss me!
He: Aw, now, hon.....I told you I'm married. Hell, I ought not to be doin' this!